bigfoot

Flushed a moose out of his resting spot.

Flushed a deer out of her resting spot.

Had a flock of turkeys following me in a way that, if they were people, I would have considered stalking.

Had a bear tear into one of my caches. (Someone left candy in it. . .)

Had a bear charge me. :lostsignal:

Oh, and there was this one time, while I was signing the logbook in a cache, and Bigfoot came up over the rise. He didn't notice me because he was looking down at something in his hand. As he got closer, I could see it was a GPS. He looked up, and said "Oh! You found it!"

I have seen a fawn on a cache.

...and rattlesnakes. ---> x4 times

...got surrounded by coyotes while maintaining a cache once.

...seen porcupines, skunks, wild turkeys, bald eagles, timber wolves, deer, elk - within 40 feet of various caches.

...barn owl swooped down at the whole family multiple times one day while caching.

I've had a couple of situations that got my heart racing so far in my 3 mo of caching :)

The first time I was about to head into a strip of woods along a creek in Plano TX with my four boys when a coyote came out of the trees right where the cache was meant to be. It was a good 100 ft off but made me nervous thinking what if b/c the boys and I had been in that same run of trees earlier. I'd read an article before about the unusually large coyotes in the area but was amazed to see this thing. It looked more like a wolf than a coyote. It just stood there looking at us while we looked at it for a long time. Then mini ninja #2 did a crazy dance and yelled "Wooo!" and it stared at him a moment longer and then slowly strolled back in to the trees. We did not go look for that cache, despite all the begging from the mini ninjas :lostsignal:

The other ACK moment was last wknd. I was bushwhacking off the trail looking for a good place to put my cache Xenogamy when I startled two huge deer out of wherever they were - like all the other deer I've encountered they stopped to stare at me for a long time (is that how all deer behave? I'd never been so close to deer before until I started caching). But one had quite a lot of antlers so I started backing up, nervous about getting too close to a Bambi and making him or his deer wife antsy or angry (having recently watched the Grey's Anatomy bear attack episode my imagination was running wild). At that point they vanished, literally from my point of view. One second they were there, the next they weren't.

Also encountered a few deer once while off the trail with my friend and our sons. They not only stayed there to stare at us from about 50 feet off, but more came out of the trees to join them in the mutual staring. Eventually we walked away.

Edited by Opalblade

No disrespect to Bigfoot, if he actually exists, but I don't think he does. Wishful thinking by people who want to feel important or stuch.

As to dangerous aminals - well, I think being 50 or so feet from an adult mountain lion is pretty exciting (I still picked up the cache and logged it, not like I don't know where me priorities lay.)

Other than that, some mountain goats and mule deer, but they seemed utterly bored at my presence. (what an insult!)

We had a Yeti in our area when I first started caching, but he's pretty much settled down to blogging restaurant reviews in recent years. Its sad, I know, but even Yetis must eat.

If a Yeti writes a negative review on a restaurant it's probably not a restaurant one should try. Here's an animal I saw on the way to a cache in Zimbabwe (about a mile from the cache).

ba869767-eef2-4163-ac68-a1b8c7605f08.jpg

Black bears, brown bears, wolves, lynx, red foxes, coyotes, and muggles are the only "potenitally dangerous" critters I've seen while caching. None of them posed a threat or stopped me from getting the cache. Wild things tend to keep their distance from humans. And my hunting license allows me to take out most of them if so desired.

What an exciting life you have over the pond.

I once felt very threatened by a large herd of cows on my way back from one cache.

As well you should have. That is what is known as a "murder" of crows, and for very good reason, I'm sure!!

:D Cows, not Crows! You know, big things with 4 legs, that you get milk and beef from. Like this:

cows2-thumb.jpg

I once felt very threatened by a large herd of cows on my way back from one cache.

As well you should have. That is what is known as a "murder" of crows, and for very good reason, I'm sure!!

:D Cows, not Crows! You know, big things with 4 legs, that you get milk and beef from. Like this:

cows2-thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's what I meant... a murder of cows. A bunch of crows is known as a herd of crows.

On the hundreds of miles that The Team has hiked, we have never encountered any snakes, deer, coyote, hawks, eagles, owls, skunks, lions, tigers, elephants or big foot.

Big Feet, yes. Big Foot, no. Mrs. Team Cotati doesn't like for me to bring up the topic of big feets, trust me.

It must be really exciting to encounter wild life when out in the wild. The Team can't hardly wait.

Edited by Team Cotati

There is a cache just off the route from my home to church that requires you to park along the road and walk thru a pasture to get to an enclosed area. Others, as myself, have looked up from signing the log to see that the cows have surrounded you and seek to keep you from the gate. Big babies just want a hand-out.

At other caches, I've come across snakes, lizards, and spooked deer. I've had a stray dog show up at one cache, but I think he was more interested in my bag of animal crackers than getting the smiley.

Edit to add, deer. When they stop to watch you, try slowly kneeling down to buy time for the pictures. You are less threatening to them smaller and without a human shape. But they didn't come to me for a close-up.

Edited by Trucker Lee

If you do see a bigfoot or a UFO, the Endura GPS's have a waypoint icon for both (oddly enough). Obviously someone over at Lowrance has a strange sense of humor ... or they are targeting a customer base that no one else has bothered to target - those people ending up on MonsterQuest TV.

Waiting for the day I will actually need that Bigfoot icon!

cows2-thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's what I meant... a murder of cows. A bunch of crows is known as a herd of crows.

I heard of crows...noisy dam things, especially during their mating season. :o

Cows just stand around waiting to become lunch and a belt. :ph34r:

BOT---

I've seen bear scat, cougar scat, footprints from both critters, and several deer.

While signing a log in South Carolina, I heard something very large crashing through the woods, and heading in my direction. I DO NOT know if it was a man, a bear, or whatever the local version of Bigfoot is called. I also had no burning desire to stand around and find out. So, I got in the car and beat it out of there.

Haven't seen bigfoot, but I must confess, I would like to.

I've been attacked by mosquitoes while hiking to/from caches. There's a good argument that the mosquito is the most dangerous non-human animal in existence, based on number of human deaths caused.

Non-human. When I pose that as a quiz, some people kvetch that humans are more dangerous than mosquitoes -- though I suspect that if you add up the death toll, the mosquito wins. I have also encountered humans near caches.

When I told a tale of finishing a hike in the dark, a friend expressed concern: what if you meet a mountain lion in the dark? No problem, I said, got flash on my camera.

Edward

I've been attacked by mosquitoes while hiking to/from caches. There's a good argument that the mosquito is the most dangerous non-human animal in existence, based on number of human deaths caused.

Non-human. When I pose that as a quiz, some people kvetch that humans are more dangerous than mosquitoes -- though I suspect that if you add up the death toll, the mosquito wins. I have also encountered humans near caches.

When I told a tale of finishing a hike in the dark, a friend expressed concern: what if you meet a mountain lion in the dark? No problem, I said, got flash on my camera.

Edward

So how do you get the camera out of your pocket while the mountain lion is chewing on your arm?

:ph34r:

Cows just stand around waiting to become lunch and a belt. :ph34r:

No, we have dangerous cows in the UK - there have been quite a few deaths from cow attacks in recent years. See here and here .

Not that I want to frighten any of you thinking of coming over here for a caching holiday, of course. :D

If you have a problem with them, make yourself look bigger by waving your arms and walking sticks about and shout at them, and let the dog off the lead to fend for itself - it can run quicker than either you or the cows.

while watching a show about a bunch of people out hiking looking for Bigfoot, it made me wonder......has anyone come across wild animals, scary/dangerous situations, or Bigfoot while caching?

Unusual Animal Encounters 7 pages

whats the scariest animal youve encountered??

I've encountered Rattlesnakes, Coyotes, Gopher Snakes, ticks, Mtn Lion tracks, Black Bear tracks, and one encounter with Bigfoot.

The Legend of Big Ben. (Night Cache)

After all the long years of hiking and being in the woods, the odds were something had to show up sometime. Last year while out caching, it happened. We'd just found a cache and were on our way to do another when, there was Bigfoot, having a rest by the creek. Imagine our surprise and pleasure.

If you want to see them here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...a5-f4661818177d

Cows just stand around waiting to become lunch and a belt. :o

No, we have dangerous cows in the UK - there have been quite a few deaths from cow attacks in recent years. See here and here .

Not that I want to frighten any of you thinking of coming over here for a caching holiday, of course. :(

If you have a problem with them, make yourself look bigger by waving your arms and walking sticks about and shout at them, and let the dog off the lead to fend for itself - it can run quicker than either you or the cows.

Or, have a large caliber firearm, and turn the rouge bovine into lunch and a belt. :)

Have any geocachers had a wild pig encounter while out in the woods/parks/public lands?

Sunday night on one of Discovery Channels we watched a show called "The Pig Bomb" about the invasive wild pig population and they have become much larger and much more aggressive than in the past. There were examples of them attacking property, pets and people. While the problem is predominately in the south eastern US, they have been reported in 41 states.

Have any geocachers had a wild pig encounter while out in the woods/parks/public lands?

Sunday night on one of Discovery Channels we watched a show called "The Pig Bomb" about the invasive wild pig population and they have become much larger and much more aggressive than in the past. There were examples of them attacking property, pets and people. While the problem is predominately in the south eastern US, they have been reported in 41 states.

In some areas those walking slabs of bacon are called---I'm not making this up---Hogzilla.

Nah, no bigfoot for me. But the scariest animal encounter I've had while caching was when I walked right into a group of 6 or 8 bighorn sheep and scared one of them. Who in turn scared me by putting his head down and charging me.

I'd been taught what to do when a bear charges, and I know what to do if a mountain lion or coyote comes running at me. But a bighorn? I hadn't the foggiest. I started screaming and waving my trekking poles in the air wildly, and luckily the thing made an abrupt turn towards back where he came from at about 15 yards.

I found myself a different way back down the trail.