Notifications > SMS - helping FTF'ers

I posted the following on the GPS & Technology sub-forum. For most mobile networks (unfortunately, not mine!) this gives an opportunity to get "Published" notifications sent immediately to your mobile by SMS if you want to know straight away if a nearby cache has been published.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=234615

Hope someone might find it useful!

Matt

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=234615

Hope someone might find it useful!

Matt

That's excellent...it's working for me on Vodafone.

Thankyou :ph34r:

I've read through your giude but is there any chance you could expand a bit? Not being into Twitter I'm a bit green about this. I've signed up for a twitter account but do I have to have a gmail account or can my usual email address be used? Also, I can't see anywhere to create a twittermail account and how do you get them to 'follow' the different twitter accounts?

Sorry to sound dumb but I've never ventured into the realms of Twitter or gmail.

Many thanks!

I've read through your giude but is there any chance you could expand a bit? Not being into Twitter I'm a bit green about this. I've signed up for a twitter account but do I have to have a gmail account or can my usual email address be used? Also, I can't see anywhere to create a twittermail account and how do you get them to 'follow' the different twitter accounts?

Sorry to sound dumb but I've never ventured into the realms of Twitter or gmail.

Many thanks!

I'll answer a few specifics:-

gmail - I use that because it has excellent filtering / forwarding facilities. This means that when I get a notification email from Groundspeak I can be sure that it automatically also gets forwarded onto the twittermail address. Its the sending of the email to the twittermail address that causes one of my twitter accounts to be updated. You don't have to use gmail. Notifications can be set up so that they go to a specific email address, so this could be your twittermail email address instead. I prefer to use gmail because that's my default email account so I can be confident that even if the twittermail updating didn't work for some reason I'd still get to read the notification email.

In terms of setting up the twittermail account, www.twittermail.com is the place to start. That will help you with "linking" the twittermail account to the twitter account (which is what I think you mean by "following").

Hope that helps some!

Matt

Well, I've tried to set this up on my phone (which is on Virgin, too) but it said the carrier doesn't allow it. I can't really get my head around how to do it and think I'll have to concede defeat. No great shakes as I can just check my email notifications form my tiscali account on my phone. Would have been nice to get a text alert but I just can't work out how to do it despite your kind instructions!

:unsure:

Well, I've tried to set this up on my phone (which is on Virgin, too) but it said the carrier doesn't allow it. I can't really get my head around how to do it and think I'll have to concede defeat. No great shakes as I can just check my email notifications form my tiscali account on my phone. Would have been nice to get a text alert but I just can't work out how to do it despite your kind instructions!

:unsure:

Did you set up a paid for notificaiton via TweetSMS? Because I'm on Virgin, I had to set up a TweetSMS account (which costs per sms sent to you).

Order of events is as follows:-

GC sends email

Gmail filters that email and forwards to "TwitterA@twittermail.com"

Twittermail posts this message to "TwitterA" on Twitter

"TwitterB" (who follows "TwitterA") sees this update

TweetSMS is setup linked to TwitterB and to forward tweets by TwitterA to my mobile

TweetSMS get paid 5p for the privilege!

Complicated I know, but seems to do the job!

Matt