Droid Caching

kovuisking

Looking next month into getting a Motorola DROID phone (As comparable to the Iphone)

Will there be an APP out soon for the Droid?

Thanks for any information!

There are several Geocaching apps available in the Android Market.

I've tried them all and here are my 3 faves (of course, don't rely on me solely, but check them all out for yourself)

OpenGPX - free.

Imports GPX and other file formats. Needs a seperate compass plugin -also available on the market- to fully utilize the gps.

GeoBeagle -free.

finds nearest geocaches.

CacheMate (of Palm and WinMobile fame, now for Android) not free.

Imports GPX & other formats.

Can have multiple databases (for example, I have seperate databases for work, home, my brother's town, my girlfriend's neighborhood, etc)

It's my personal favorite. Having had the Palm version previously,I know it's functionality and SmittyWare is responsive to bugs, etc.

One of the only two paid apps I have on my Android phone.

If you go to SmittyWare.com directly, you can download a demo (you have to buy it first if you go through the Android Market).

The demo is mostly fully functional - the database is limited to the phone, instead of the memory card, the number of caches you can import is limited).

You will definitely be able to decide if it's worth forking over $8 for the full registered version

Best dang bang for your buck you might spend on an Android Geocaching app, in my opinion.

Im inclined to agree with gregnotcraig.

GeoBeagle is a great, free app. If youre looking a few more bells and whistles, for a few dollars, CacheMate is where its at. It doesnt pretty much everything I want it to, and then some. At this point, Im very happy to have given my dollars to a developer who showed interest in a growing platform. It's going to take a lot to convince me to give another $10 further down the road to any of the devs who lacked the tact to at least say "At this point, we are watching Android closely as a platform to see if the installed userbase will support development costs," but rather said "We have no interest in developing for Android," then did an about face when they realized there was a base and demand to actually turn a fair profit from.

Sorry, rant aside, We do 90% of our caching on our G1s, and use our Delorme very rarely. Android is a killer platform for caching, and outperforms most of our friends iPhones, or dedicated GPSr's in most conditions.

I've been using GeoBeagle for a few months, and think it's great... considering it's free.

Recently I've downloaded [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] and even though it's currently in beta, it's getting better every day.

I already think it might have surpassed GeoBeagle.

Edited by Keystone

I've been using GeoBeagle for a few months, and think it's great... considering it's free.

Recently I've downloaded [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] , and even though it's currently in beta, it's getting better every day.

I already think it might have surpassed GeoBeagle.

I hope it's sooner than later. [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] is the best so far for me, but it could be improved a bit, and it would be awesome if you could log finds right then and there.

Can't wait for the official app!!!!

Edited by Keystone