Highly Reccomended Caches in Jhb/Pta Area

Midgleys_ZA

The Other Half and I are heading up to Jhb & PTA for a quick weekend break next week. We're driving from Grahamstown to PTA in one go, so won't be doing much roadside caching (tight schedule) but, once we're in the area we will have approximately one morning free to go and do some caching.

My question is this; I've looked at the map. There are literally HUNDREDS of caches. If you only had one morning in PTA (still waiting for an exact area) and the Northgate/Fourways area in Jhb. Which cache would you do?

Mmm, to punt some of mine from a Pretoria point of view... if you want a quick adventure (not ok for normal car, Avis should be ok! ;) ) then do Star Crater. Planet is my other favourite, requires a short walk, so another worthwhile option.

Then you can add (or start here if you only have a car) Cornwall Hill (not available on Sundays) and Centurion View and go to the Irene dairy and do the caches there (lekker food, albeit a bit pricey), Milk Galore, etc. In that area are a few others - I just love the Irene area!

Next or alternatively you can take a ride over Klapperkop and do the ones there, What a View, Klapperkop, etc. and the few in Groenkloof area right next door - I always love the ride.

Groenkloof Nature Reserve is an option, but you need a bakkie again (or height) and you won't have time for much else.

However, my favourite area is Hartbeespoortdam, there are some great caches out that way, like Harties on the Med (hehe.. mine) and Haarties Best View (walk or bakkie), and lots of other. A great place to have brunch while you're in the area is at the Van Gaalens Cheese Farm - S25 47.270 E27 46.326

Hope it helps!

Edited by dakardrix

My question is this; I've looked at the map. There are literally HUNDREDS of caches. If you only had one morning in PTA (still waiting for an exact area) and the Northgate/Fourways area in Jhb. Which cache would you do?

There are very few lame caches in Pretoria, you might just about pick any Pretoria cache, and not be dissapointed.

If you have a better indication of the area you'll be visiting, as well as some personal preferences, I'm sure recommendations will be plenty.

You also can't go wrong on DakarDrix's recommendations, but please don't be put off by the Sunday note on Cornwall Hill. It seems to be old rules, and not enforced any more.

Adding to DakarDrix's options, I always enjoy driving through the Rietvlei Nature Reserve too (tarred roads):

Picnic with Hippo's (GCPNN6) by Bjbez (1/2)

Fern Fountain - The Sequel (GC1RPNQ) by Cache-Fan (1.5/1.5)

Rietvlei Natural Springs (GC1W1HT) by RedGlobe (2/1.5)

Rietvlei Wetlands (GC1VCFJ) by RedGlobe (2/1)

Thanks guys, those all look great! We'll be in my little Golf, which, tough as it is, needs a bit of TLC...

And I found out we're going to be in the Centurion area of PTA. We're very new at this, but generally prefer the outdoors/rural setting, rather than urban muggle dense settings.

Thanks SO much for your input!