How do you use your compass when caching?

Team Schroeder

I've only got six finds under my belt, but I can't figure out when or how I would use my old compass in this game. It seems my GPSr does it all, and it doesn't even have an electronic compass. Do cachers bring their compasses just in case their GPSr runs out of batteries, or should I be using my compass in tandem with my GPSr? :mad::D:o:):unsure:

Many thanks!

A handheld compass can be handy in complex terrain, where you can't walk in a straight line for more than a few feet. In such situations, your GPS will have problems orientating itself, since it relies on you moving in a straight line, with the unit pointed in front of you, to determine orientation relative to North. But it can correctly determine a bearing and display it to you. You can then use that bearing and sight it with a compass to determine the direction to travel.

A regular magnetic compass is a never-fail backup device whose batteries keep going and going and going...

As with other posts, read the direction from your GPSr, and use the compass to make a straight route, rather than wandering from watching your GPSr waddle from bouncing signals. Best used when backtracking your way out.

Best use is in your pocket or pack, for when you really need it.

A handheld compass can be handy in complex terrain, where you can't walk in a straight line for more than a few feet. In such situations, your GPS will have problems orientating itself, since it relies on you moving in a straight line, with the unit pointed in front of you, to determine orientation relative to North.

Mine doesn't. Maybe yours does. And yes, I leave the magnetic compass off. But the GPS really does not require you to go in a straight line, and in any terrain that is as complex as you say, the compass arrow would be useless anyway.

There's really no need for a compass in geocaching. I used to have one I took, but I have never used it. Not once.

Of course, I live in the western US, where topography makes direction much simpler, but even in the northeast in heavily forested regions I don't have any trouble telling which way North is to good enough accuracy to get out in case of an emergency where my GPS died.

I rarely use the compass on my Oregon 400t and nuvi 500 as a compass, per se, but I use the compass rose frequently when searching for a cache. When the compass is calibrated correctly and a cache location is programmed as a destination, the arrow on the compass rose always points at the cache and this makes it easy to physically navigate to GZ. Of course the compass also tells me where N, S, E, W, and all points between are, but I rarely pay any attention to that. I typically focus on where the arrow is pointing and the support data like distance to the cache.

Generally speaking, I'll navigate by map if I'm driving or riding on roads or major trails which are shown on the maps in my GPSr, but I'll almost always switch to compass mode the moment my feet hit the ground.

Pete

A handheld compass can be handy in complex terrain, where you can't walk in a straight line for more than a few feet. In such situations, your GPS will have problems orientating itself, since it relies on you moving in a straight line, with the unit pointed in front of you, to determine orientation relative to North.

Mine doesn't. Maybe yours does. And yes, I leave the magnetic compass off. But the GPS really does not require you to go in a straight line, and in any terrain that is as complex as you say, the compass arrow would be useless anyway.

There's really no need for a compass in geocaching. I used to have one I took, but I have never used it. Not once.

Of course, I live in the western US, where topography makes direction much simpler, but even in the northeast in heavily forested regions I don't have any trouble telling which way North is to good enough accuracy to get out in case of an emergency where my GPS died.

I rarely disagree with either of these oldtimers, but in this case I do.

I remember one particular cache that I found while participating in a contest in 2006 that my Suunto saved my life. The cache was/is in a deep canyon with multiple side chutes. More than half the way from parking to the cache my GPS was only getting 2 sometimes 3 satellites. I started from my truck at 8:30AM, found the cache at about 2:15PM and got back to the truck at 9:30PM tired, cold and wet. The 6V lantern and the compass were vital to my safe return.

There are a few areas in nearly every state that a compass and a topo map greatly increase the odds of getting in and out safely. I've been "slightly disoriented" if not lost in both Oregon and Pennsylvania.

I learned to use a compass over 40 years ago and still use it if the GPS isn't telling me what I think is the right way to go.

My 2 cents.

I've only got six finds under my belt, but I can't figure out when or how I would use my old compass in this game. It seems my GPSr does it all, and it doesn't even have an electronic compass. Do cachers bring their compasses just in case their GPSr runs out of batteries, or should I be using my compass in tandem with my GPSr? :huh:;):);):ph34r:

Many thanks!

A compass by itself isn't much help in finding a cache, but it may help you get back to your car if the batteries die in your GPS. A compass when properly used in conjunction with a typical satellite image or a good map can get you to the cache.

Yes, you do need to be moving in consistent direction in order for the the "deductive" (non-electronic) GPS compass to work, and it must be pointed in the direction of travel. Try it sometime.

You apparently don't know how to use a sighting compass. You don't "follow the arrow" while walking. You set the dial based on the bearing you need to navigate, and sight a landmark (preferably at about the distance the GPS says you need to travel, or less). You then heads towards that landmark. Check your distance and repeat if necessary.

I intend to create a cache that a compass and tree identification book is needed in order to mathematically deduce the combination to the lock I will have on the cache. :lostsignal:

As my signature may perhaps lead you to believe, I feel that is it important to have a compass and a map when out in the field, and more importantly, KNOW how to use the bloody thing...

I only use my compass in my bag beacuse it has a magnifying glass built into it to read those dinky letters on coins

my 60Csx has one but I turned it off

I have found a cool use for bearings tho when trying to find a hard to find cache

walk to ways and watch your arrow-take a bearing reading, then walk 90 degrees

and same distance and take anotehr bearing reading

this should give you a bearing reading on where both crisscross and where cache should be

sometimes it helps if you have room to walk in each direction

goodluck, have fun and happy hunting