Help needed - USB to serial driver

SOmeone on here very kindly directed me a while ago to getting a connection for the basic Garmin Etrex GPS. I had to get a usb to serial cable and that came with a disk for the drivers. Sadly my PC died and I have now got a nice new one but cannot find the driver disk. We are off for a caching weekend and I really need to download to the Etrex.

Does anyone know where I can find the drivers? Googling has got me nowhere!

Thanks in anticipation!!

SOmeone on here very kindly directed me a while ago to getting a connection for the basic Garmin Etrex GPS. I had to get a usb to serial cable and that came with a disk for the drivers. Sadly my PC died and I have now got a nice new one but cannot find the driver disk. We are off for a caching weekend and I really need to download to the Etrex.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Depends very much which USB to Serial cable it is. You'd need to get the drivers for the correct chipset.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Most USB Serial Adaptors are based on the Prolific chip set ...

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

It is not going to kill anything to just try them

Edited by S&G.Davison

Thanks in anticipation!!

It's possible that if you just plug it in and let Windows detect it you'll get the option for Windows to go online and find the right driver for it.

But as others have said, without knowing more about exactly what it is you've got it's hard to help.

Thanks in anticipation!!

do a google for this :

_IO Cable_PL-2303HX_Drivers_Generic_PL2303_XP2KME98Driver_Setup.zip

Works with the 3 different USB adaptors i have used, and all on Win XP, Vista and Win7..

If you cant find it with Google, drop ma a PM, and I'll email it to you..