Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scwarrior1

Teaching geocaching to HS seniors

I am new to geocaching myself and expect my GPS to arrive any day. I will explore the resources I have found on this site (thank you!) and will embark with my husband to learn the sport firsthand. I attended a conference in November where I learned about this for the first time. I was immediately hooked and have decided to introduce the sport to my students - 19 HS seniors, nearly all boys. My question is: Is there a HS level curriculum already in place? If not, what suggestions do you have for me to get things started? We will have 90 minute classes where students will be allowed to drive to caches around town. I am anxious to hear from those of you with experience! Thanks! :)

I know there is a powerpoint out there that teaches you about geocaching... but as far as an actual curriculum goes? I haven't heard of one... I'm glad you enjoy caching and welcome to the club! ha ha I wish i could take a Geocaching class in highschool :)

I am new to geocaching myself and expect my GPS to arrive any day. I will explore the resources I have found on this site (thank you!) and will embark with my husband to learn the sport firsthand. I attended a conference in November where I learned about this for the first time. I was immediately hooked and have decided to introduce the sport to my students - 19 HS seniors, nearly all boys. My question is: Is there a HS level curriculum already in place? If not, what suggestions do you have for me to get things started? We will have 90 minute classes where students will be allowed to drive to caches around town. I am anxious to hear from those of you with experience! Thanks! :)

Since you havent found many yet yourself

Find someone local that has found a bunch of caches.

It shouldnt be hard look at local logs until you recognize some of the names then email them.

Ask them about their favorite caches in the area of each kind, size, and difficulty, plus close to your school

Have your class find those recommended.

You may want to find the caches yourself first, so you no they are all lamp post caches, and how long it should take

If you have the capability you may want to show some YouTube vid's to the class before you go out, or maybe make it a homework type assignment. Just go to YouTube and search under Geocaching.

If you are willing to purchase a book, educaching has a good curriculum. However, if you want some free ideas, check out the Illinois Education Geocaching Assocation (www.ilega.org). Also, Dr. Alice Christie from Arizona State has some good ideas (http://www.alicechristie.org/geocaching/index.html). My site isn't complete, but I do have some info as well (http://uatim.wikispaces.com/gps).

I am new to geocaching myself and expect my GPS to arrive any day. I will explore the resources I have found on this site (thank you!) and will embark with my husband to learn the sport firsthand. I attended a conference in November where I learned about this for the first time. I was immediately hooked and have decided to introduce the sport to my students - 19 HS seniors, nearly all boys. My question is: Is there a HS level curriculum already in place? If not, what suggestions do you have for me to get things started? We will have 90 minute classes where students will be allowed to drive to caches around town. I am anxious to hear from those of you with experience! Thanks! ;)

You should check out www.educaching.com. There you will find a GPS based curriculum with educaching lessons that can be easily modified for high school. You can change the material content to match HS level using any one of the Educaching lessons. In fact some of the Advanced lessons in the curriculum may be challenging "as is" for 9th and 10th grade.