Hiking Newark Watershed

polskikrol

Looks like obtaining permits for hiking in the Newark Watershed is nearly impossible. Called the The Newark Watershed Conservation & Development Corporation (NWCDC) Echo Lake Office this morning and found out the following:

- They are no longer open on Weekends during late fall, winter, early spring. This is despite their website mentioning otherwise. http://www.newarkwatershed.com/html/contact.html

- Apparently they also do not do mail order unless you are only a member of the NYNJTC and are one of their trail maintainers. I advised that this is not what the following link says: http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/peqpermit.html . They will not accept mail in of photocopies of AMC or NYNJTC membership cards as you must be one of their trail maintainers.

- When I asked for a contact to escalate these issues, I was rudely hung up on by the lady at the Echo Lake Office.

- The only way to receive a permit is to show up in the office, during their weekday hours, and pick one up. Love the discrimination against people that actually work for a living. Must be nice to have an office job and not to be bothered by weekend hikers / weekday workers coming in.

- Sent an email to info@newarkwatershed.com and it was never answered or acknowledged.

Thus, I am not sure how many geocachers are legitimately logging these NWCDC area caches or how they are obtaining permits. If there is something I am missing, please enlighten me.

Edited by polskikrol

Thanks for the info. Another cacher suggested to me that I COULD still get mine through the mail and that I should call them. I didn't get around to it yet so thanks for doing the legwork. I am a NYNJTC member but not a trail maintainer, so I guess that means I CAN'T do it through the mail. I actually forgot that they weren't open on saturdays anymore and I drove up there a few weekends ago on a saturday specifically to get my permit (its an hour and a half drive for me <_< ). Well, I did get a few caches in while I was in the area though (but not the watershed ones I was planning to get, including the FTF I was hoping for :D)

Last year I just happened to be up on Green Pond Rd. for work during the week so I swung by and picked one up. They also let me buy one for my boyfriend, so if you know someone who lives nearby, you can probably give them your information (name, address, phone number, car license) and they could pick one up for you.

I think they open on saturdays later in the year (march or april?) but that's a ways off. I agree, that some cachers logging the Newark Watershed caches may be going permitless. I have never seen a ranger while hiking in the woods there, but they definitely check parked cars for permits, so you are risking a ticket if you go without a permit.

Edited by trowel32

Being that I am self employed and being that I do not have to be at my desk at any specific time, I shall try and make the ride up tomorrow morning to be there when they open and will see what the story is.

I shall dutifully report back, provided of course that I don't hop in the car and automatically aim for Clifton , which I have now been doing for 37 consecutive years-- my anniversary week this week. It really hasn't been as bad as it sounds.

I will also attempt to verify what the group hike permit requirement is, essentially the way that worked was a permitted hiker could bring others with him, I don't know if they still have that, it is a couple of years since I hiked there.

If you want me to try and get one for you, E Mail me your info , include your pay pal account # :)

Edited by Packanack

Those us unfortunately enough to have Grumpy Dolphin days, obtained the permit on a Friday. (And promptly hide a few caches... hee hee hee.) Last year, I had to wait until March.

Yes. It is difficult to get! There is supposed to be an office in Newark, where you can get a permit. (We will make no comments on the ability of the person who sold me my permit to repeat numbers of more than one digit...)

The real test comes tomorrow, will the lady behind the desk swoon as the charm of Packanack is turned on full blast. Surely, I am not possessed of the aw shucks maam boyish midwestern mannerisms of a weathernowcast, nor the worldly sophistication of a Harry Dolphin-- but I do believe I shall return with permit and decal in hand for I shall shave and shower and will carry cash. Or will she call 911 to tell that some creep is in her office looking to walk in the woods. Stay tuned, and have some bail money set aside just in case.

BTW, Harry I still have your ammo can and my wife wants it gone. :)

Edited by Packanack

The real test comes tomorrow, will the lady behind the desk swoon as the charm of Packanack is turned on full blast. Surely, I am not possessed of the aw shucks maam boyish midwestern mannerisms of a weathernowcast, nor the worldly sophistication of a Harry Dolphin-- but I do believe I shall return with permit and decal in hand for I shall shave and shower and will carry cash. Or will she call 911 to tell that some creep is in her office looking to walk in the woods. Stay tuned, and have some bail money set aside just in case.

BTW, Harry I still have your ammo can and my wife wants it gone. ;)

aw shucks

Ok, so I went this morning, and as it turned out I did not need the charm. The guy working the desk was retired from Clifton, nice man, who was very helpful, he has a great job in retirement, loves to hunt and fish and hike, so we talked about Clifton and whatnot, I got my permit and I got Trowel's which I will mail to her.

So if I can help anyone in getting their permit, please E Mail me and I will make it a point to get up there on your behalf. One of the great things about working for yourself is that you get to pick which 70 hours out of the week you will work.

12 dollar hiking permit fee.

Also, while I was there I saw that Echo Lake Stables has trail rides, now wouldn't that make a great Geo Event, to go horseback riding ?

Also, while I was there I saw that Echo Lake Stables has trail rides, now wouldn't that make a great Geo Event, to go horseback riding ?

Did one of their trail rides a few years ago. We took a bunch of our daughter's friends there for her 11th birthday. THey have a weight limit for riders. I just barely made the cut. Embarrassing.

Nice ride though. They even let you gallop if you are an experienced rider.

Edited by briansnat

Well there we have it, we have a couple of folks who are willing to help out to get permits for those whose schedules conflict with the office hours, so we should have no issues.

I am convinced that problems have solutions through people willing to help others.

Now for briansnat,

THey have a weight limit for riders. I just barely made the cut. Embarrassing.

Pickin on the fat kid again--

So what are you trying to say---that they would never let me ride. :lostsignal:

Edited by Packanack

Welcome to NJ . . . the place the Internet almost forgot! -signed, NJ Resident Since 1999. I called today to try to confirm whether or not the Echo Lake office is/will be open on Saturday. No one picked up the telephone between 2:00 and 3:15 PM. The NWCDC does NOT appear to have a website . . .

Think about how many people would buy hiking permits and NOT make it out to use them. That money could be very useful for trail upkeep and other expenses. Sheesh.

Welcome to NJ . . . the place the Internet almost forgot! -signed, NJ Resident Since 1999. I called today to try to confirm whether or not the Echo Lake office is/will be open on Saturday. No one picked up the telephone between 2:00 and 3:15 PM. The NWCDC does NOT appear to have a website . . .

Think about how many people would buy hiking permits and NOT make it out to use them. That money could be very useful for trail upkeep and other expenses. Sheesh.

Due to legal problems, the NWCDC closed and has been replaced by Pequannock Watershed. The Echo Lake office is open till noon on Saturdays, but not in the winter (unspecified as to the dates.) Yup. No one answers the phone on Saturday afternoons. NYNJTC does most of the trail maintenance.