Groundhog Day

brodiebunch

Today I was geocaching and three of the finds I swear I had been to before. I checked the logbooks, all three had new logbooks so I could not find my logs. Also I could not find them online either.

We are not paperless so there is no records stored in my GPS.

I am only 45yo and my memory is not failing-yet

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Edited by brodiebunch

Today I was geocaching and three of the finds I swear I had been to before. I checked the logbooks, all three had new logbooks so I could not find my logs. Also I could not find them online either.

We are not paperless so there is no records stored in my GPS.

I am only 45yo and my memory is not failing-yet

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

It's happened on two caches so far but both were just not logged online yet.

With yours, maybe the cache that was there before was archived and then someone placed a new cache in the same spot. That happens sometimes.

I've done this a couple times when I forget to log the find online, then return to the area a long time later. It actually happened another time because someone had placed the bogus coordinates for a puzzle right on top of an existing cache. I was out without a cache sheet and didn't realize it was a puzzle... it was a strange experience.

It's happened on two caches so far but both were just not logged online yet.
Gosh... I hope they weren't on the same day!! :)

I have done it, but the original log was always there. Changes of seasons, at least in my part of the country, can totally change the way a cache site looks. Approaching from a different direction can also have a huge effect. The one that I remember the most, though, was one that was way up a long, steep climb on a hot summer day. It wasn't until I was in sight of the hiding spot that I recognized it.

With yours, maybe the cache that was there before was archived and then someone placed a new cache in the same spot. That happens sometimes.

I was last in the area October 2008, they are all older than that though.

Since you're a premium member it's easy to keep track of caches that you've logged online. Using the "My Finds" pocket query to produce a complete list of every cache that you have logged. Once you get the PQ email you can import the waypoints in to something like GSAK or EasyGPS.

You can also go to the map view on any cache and zoom out and it will show all of the caches nearby with a smiley face for the ones that you've logged as a find.

There really isn't a good way to tell if you've found a specific cache, and wrote in the physical log, unless you've also logged it online.

I don't live in area where there are so many caches that I can't remember whether I've previously found it or not, so I've never had that problem myself.