Where to get ammo boxes?

Where is a good place to get ammo boxes? They seam to be a premium storage item for a cache.

How much do they usually sell for? I might end up checking out eBay but would rather get them from somewhere nearby.

Find an army surplus store nearby. Check craigslist. Go to a gun show.

Don't pay more than $7 each for them. Ebay will cost WAY too much.

Where is a good place to get ammo boxes? They seam to be a premium storage item for a cache.

How much do they usually sell for? I might end up checking out eBay but would rather get them from somewhere nearby.

I know it may not be PC to attend one, but do go to the 'gun show'. :) Go the last day near the closing hour (better negotiating). Prices will vary at the same show. You will generally pay 4 to 7 bucks for one (small 30 cal). Bittsen's surplus store advice is first choice. :D

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Word, dragon.

The local gun store near me carries them. Last time I bought some there they were $6. each.

As to being PC to go to a gun show or a gun store, anybody who would care if I went to either can stuff it. It just goes to show how stupid the whole PC thing has gotten.

Amen! It has been a while, but I went to one last weekend. Great fun although I didn't buy much. I did find some cheap olive-drab, waterproof, match containers. Best container for micros. Wal-Mart has them but they are blaze orange. Not a good hiding color!

Lots of ammo and ammo cans at the show! <_<

Okay, what does PC mean?

PC = Politically Correct

Make friends with someone in the reserves or national guard, the higher rank the better.

When I was in the USMCR we would have lots of live fire drills. I would usually be able to fill my truck with ammo cans of all sizes at the end of those drills. We would also end up with lots of extra MRE's as well (you never eat as many of those things as they give you). Once a guy I worked with asked me if I could get him some MRE's so after a drill I walked around with a large trash bag and asked all the guys if they had any extra MRE's they did not want. That bag was filled in no time.

So I take it most Geocachers are against guns?

I don't have a strong opinion either way... just curious.

Geocachers are people. People have different opinions about different topics.

I don't think you could generalize any activity participants by comparing them to geocachers.

It probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Not all "Army Surplus Stores" are created equal.

There are two surplus stores within 30 miles of me. The closest one, unfortunately, doesn't have much in the way of actual "surplus." Nearly all of their merchandise is brand new, and nearly all of it is clothing. The store is well laid out, well organized, and brightly lit. The prices are comparable to REI. When I asked the lady behind the counter if they had ammo cans, she said "What?" "Ammo cans," I repeated. "What's an ammo can?" she asked.

The other store is a bit of a drive for me. It's really easy to find, though... it's the only store in Carrboro with a cannon parked on the sidewalk. It's dark inside. It smells funny. There are huge, disorganized piles of truly weird stuff. In short, it's Paradise. They have two ammo cans on display, but there's a pallet full of them in the back. If I recall correctly, the last time I was there the price was $7 for the 30mm and $9 for the 50mm.

Kind of veering off topic aren't you? <_<

I guess so... but I figured the original question was answered pretty well ;-)

If anyone wants to go to a great surplus store in St Paul, check out Ax Man! They are right off of Snelling, north of HWY 94. That is one place that probably has ammo boxes! I used to live near there, they have things from Iron Lungs to beer mugs with mis-spelled engravings. Next time I am there I will check for ammo boxes.

Not all "Army Surplus Stores" are created equal.

I agree. Some surplus stores, like the last one I visited, sell things that look like they belong in army surplus stores but are just made to look like that. They are new, cheap and fall apart easy.

Edited by flipjargendy

Well in the Fort Worth Texas area a place called "Cheaper than dirt" has a lot of the larger 40mm size for $5.00. There web site I wont list it but its not that hard to figure out they are slightly higher. Still not more that $7.00. Hope that helps some one in the area.

Well in the Fort Worth Texas area a place called "Cheaper than dirt" has a lot of the larger 40mm size for $5.00. There web site I wont list it but its not that hard to figure out they are slightly higher. Still not more that $7.00. Hope that helps some one in the area.

What's odd about them is that the brick and mortar store and the web site are two different entities. They are owned by different companies and even compete with each other, even though they have the same name. Weird.

I found a nice army surplus store (near Fort Knox, KY Ironically). I paid $4.00 for 7.62mm cans, and $6.00 for 50cal. cans. As prices go, that's the best I could find in my region (Louisville, Ky area).

As others have said, ordering online is cost prohibitive as shipping costs tend to ruin the $3.00 ammo can deal you just found.

On the other hand - if you are planning on placing a lot of caches you can go online and buy bulk. For whatever reason, the military doesn't do much recycling of ammo cans. They go to surplus auctions (online these days). You can get a lot of hundreds of ammo cans for not much more than a dollar or two each.

But who needs four hundred 7.62mm ammo cans, and a divorce?

Okay, what does PC mean?

PC = Politically Correct

Make friends with someone in the reserves or national guard, the higher rank the better.

When I was in the USMCR we would have lots of live fire drills. I would usually be able to fill my truck with ammo cans of all sizes at the end of those drills. We would also end up with lots of extra MRE's as well (you never eat as many of those things as they give you). Once a guy I worked with asked me if I could get him some MRE's so after a drill I walked around with a large trash bag and asked all the guys if they had any extra MRE's they did not want. That bag was filled in no time.

Even though there were always left over MRE's, you could -never- find a spare tiny as hell bottle of Tabasco anywhere. Lucky for me, I don't eat it. Guys would trade a decent main entree for that teeny tiny bottle. I've never smoked or dipped, either, but I always had both at the start of a field week. <_<

Sorry to thread jack, but that brought back some memories.

Later!

Boy, you're waaayyy up there in the sticks, aren't you? Well, if you ever get far enough south to find a Gander Mountain, give them a gander. Its been a while since I've checked, but last time I bought one, a 50 cal. sold for $5.99.

If anyone wants to go to a great surplus store in St Paul, check out Ax Man! They are right off of Snelling, north of HWY 94. That is one place that probably has ammo boxes! I used to live near there, they have things from Iron Lungs to beer mugs with mis-spelled engravings. Next time I am there I will check for ammo boxes.

Ax Man sometimes has ammo boxes, but you can never count on it. They carry whatever they can get a great deal on. What you can count on there, though, is a riot of a time! I would encourage anybody visiting the Twin Cities to find time to stop by one of the Ax Man stores.

Where is a good place to get ammo boxes?

Our local army/navy store just moved into new dig's, the owner just bought an old empty grammar school (yeah the whole school) and has a huge inventory in the classrooms and the old gymnasium. Cool place. It is on Rt. 5 in Dunkirk, NY on Lake Erie.

"Old Sarge's Drop Zone"

I just bought a 30 cal ammo box for $4.00, and the 50 cal were $6.00. Nice deal!

He also sells online, just email him for small quantities.

http://www.oldsargesdropzone.com/products.php?scatid=44

Someone is actually going to place a cache in an ammo box? You sure you don't want to know where to get bison tubes?

El Diablo

Yeah... I found one once, believe it, or not. Maybe even more than one. They work pretty well. Seem to keep out water fairly well, hold a bit of swag, and you can drop a truck on 'em and barely scratch the paint. We should start using more of them.

Cabela's usually has ammo cans. Most times they seem to be near bulk brass.

We got two last year when we were there and believe they were seven bucks (store's sometimes cheaper than the catalog, so worth a look.)

They run out quickly though when guys make bulk orders with ammo sales. Didn't see ONE last time we were there.

We've also seen them at Gander Mountain.

There was a thread in this forum that asked the question "How do you carry?' in reference to how geocachers carried their side arms while caching. LOTS of responses by gun owning cachers and some pretty good pics of some pretty impressive iron.

Someone is actually going to place a cache in an ammo box? You sure you don't want to know where to get bison tubes?

El Diablo

Yeah... I found one once, believe it, or not. Maybe even more than one. They work pretty well. Seem to keep out water fairly well, hold a bit of swag, and you can drop a truck on 'em and barely scratch the paint. We should start using more of them.

Oh I believe you. I saw one back in 04...or maybe it was 05. They had become such rarities that it startled me when I saw it. I just slowly backed out and left it in peace. I believe congress is reviewing a bill to put them on the endangered list.

El Diablo

The local gun store near me carries them. Last time I bought some there they were $6. each.

As to being PC to go to a gun show or a gun store, anybody who would care if I went to either can stuff it. It just goes to show how stupid the whole PC thing has gotten.

Okay, what does PC mean?

Dont know where you live, but I seen that you once lived in StPaul. For Minn and Wis check out Mill's Fleet Farm.

I got my .30 cal cans for $4 each on sale. Almost brand new too. They also do get new ones in and charge $6.99 for those.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Boy, you're waaayyy up there in the sticks, aren't you? Well, if you ever get far enough south to find a Gander Mountain, give them a gander. Its been a while since I've checked, but last time I bought one, a 50 cal. sold for $5.99.

Well, looks like Gander Mountain is out of the running. I stopped by today and they didn't have any. I asked the clerk and he said that they had stopped carrying them in all of their stores. He was very kind and handed me a Kleenex as he said, "There, there, now..."
the ammo can fairy
Careful... name calling can get you in trouble around here. :ph34r:

:o:D

Was that name calling, or name dropping??

name dropping, I am hoping to lose some teeth while geocaching and make a trade.

dude, interesting thought. out of all of the modern mythological creatures, I feel the tooth fairy would be the most likely to be a geocacher

Edited by bafl01