i-pad

CacheCoeur

The 16GB 3G model is really tempting. Called AT&T to find out if I could drop my iPhone data package, but not without dropping the phone service too. It may come to that. Dunno. I'm a serious Machead. Not a great fan of AT&T though. Anyone's cheapo phone would do if I decide to get an iPad.

Can't wait to see if Groundspeak enhances their iPhone app for the iPad. I think the app is much easier to use in the field than the site. It's more efficient to do what you need to do, and screen size isn't really going to change that.

(edited to include results of conversation with AT&T)

Edited by tlap

The 16GB 3G model is really tempting. Called AT&T to find out if I could drop my iPhone data package, but not without dropping the phone service too. It may come to that. Dunno. I'm a serious Machead. Not a great fan of AT&T though. Anyone's cheapo phone would do if I decide to get an iPad.

Can't wait to see if Groundspeak enhances their iPhone app for the iPad. I think the app is much easier to use in the field than the site. It's more efficient to do what you need to do, and screen size isn't really going to change that.

(edited to include results of conversation with AT&T)

Does iPad have GPS circuitry? Would a Geocaching app for iPad work?

FYI: The iPad doesn't come with GPS capabilites so no navigation or easy way to find nearby caches. <_<

Craig

C&S 143

Just install nRoute on it and hook your GPS up to it.
niPass2

The device is pretty snazzy and might be nice as a replacement to a laptop or tablet pc. But unless your eyesight is bad and need the bigger, 1.5 pound heavier screen, i don't see it being great for geocaching. The smaller IPhone or Ipod Touch models are perfect for for our activity. Easy to carry, fit in your pocket, 3g and gpsr in the phone, wifi on the touch, and have great geocaching apps available for them.

I don't think I would use it much for geocaching purposes, other than browsing the website. However, it would definitely stop the kids from always borrowing my MacBook, forcing me to use the PC <_< It would get heavy use in my household for movies, music, internet, and eBooks.

If I had the money to burn I'd get it. I love buying new electronic toys and this looks like a great thing to veg with in bed <_< Wouldn't want it out and about though, my iPhone is a much better size - right in the jeans pocket.

Little aside that it WAS in my Otter Box clip holder thingy until my phone fell out of it whilst I was carrying mini ninja #4 through a branchy area. It's not a very secure hold at all. So back on topic, I like having something with a good display but small enough to be easily portable and able to sit safe in my pocket :D

I'm sorry, but how exactly is a tablet computer that can't multitask a good thing? The iPad is priced well above *more capable* netbook computers but below tablet pcs. It's a great device for people with too much money.

Battery life is good, which is tempting.

It's not a threat to the Tablet PC. It's not a threat to the Kindle.

Drop the price by 50% and we'll talk again.

I'm sorry, but how exactly is a tablet computer that can't multitask a good thing? The iPad is priced well above *more capable* netbook computers but below tablet pcs. It's a great device for people with too much money.

Battery life is good, which is tempting.

It's not a threat to the Tablet PC. It's not a threat to the Kindle.

Drop the price by 50% and we'll talk again.

From my perspective it's a multimedia entertainment device for people who already have everything else <_< That said, I do understand that what they are selling is "coolness" more than anything else - and that will appeal to a large segment of bored Tablet PC users...

I think a lot of tech savvy people here are missing the point.

This is going to sell very well to people who may never had considered a tablet -- or even a laptop or PC. It looks like it'll be drop-dead simple to use, easy to set up, and have a lower cost of entry for most of what it offers.

I'm not buying one -- I already have more computing power and connectivity at my house than I really need. But my 76-year old mother, who wants email -- but doesn't want to setup internet service or have any place to put a computer? She might be able to use this.

Apple marketed the Mac as "the computer for the rest of us." Well, all of "us" - tech minded folks - all have a computer by now. The iPad is the un-computer for the rest of "them."

And just to steer back on topic -- the 3G modesl of the iPad do have a real GPS in them. So if I did buy one, I'd want maps on it, and an app that would reverse the display and take voice commands. Then I could velcro it face-up on my dashboard and see the map reflected on my windshield.

10" HUD nav system -- betcha didn't see that coming when they talked about a multi-media tablet :)

Edited by lee_rimar

People keep referring that the iPad is a "computer" but it really isn't,, is it?

No bashing intended, but is the iPod Touch a "computer"? I don't think so and the iPad is basically an oversized iPod Touch granted with some additional features.. But the ONLY applications you can run on it are what's available in the app catalogue, right? With a MacBook you can run to the store & buy software for it, but not for the iPad, right?

At the end of the day though I do believe they'll sell thousands of those things in no time at all. There's a definite niche market for such a device, but it really is a narrowly focused niche

Little aside that it WAS in my Otter Box clip holder thingy until my phone fell out of it whilst I was carrying mini ninja #4 through a branchy area. It's not a very secure hold at all. So back on topic, I like having something with a good display but small enough to be easily portable and able to sit safe in my pocket :)

15 seconds of boiling water, 10 seconds of light pressure, now I have to want to take mine (otterboxed)

out of the clip. Needed to burnish(Dremel) the edges of the holster clips a tad to get it to seat easily.

much more secure now, just need a little outward finger pressure on one clip while tipping the top away.

This thing ain't fallin' out unless I go to ground, then the phone is the least of all worries.

Norm

Who's fancying the newest wonder? (I wish they had chosen a better name for it...) :)

Introducing the i-Pad

Really - a better name? You should know better. Apple's marketing department is made up of a group of one letter copy writers. At least Asus used 3 e's when naming their Eee PC :D

However - you can't argue with their success. People continue to plop down around $1500 for their laptop, toss in the unbelievable success of the iPod, iPhone and probably billions in sales for i(insert accessory name here) products by Apple and 3rd party manufacturers and you have a tidy little nest egg.

I do look forward to see this new piece of technology although with some of the already glaring errors in support (no Flash player support to mention one) I don't see it replacing my netbook anytime soon.

I guess it could be a nice little accessory for travel (maybe even caching)...