Logging Adopted Caches? :O/

infiniteMPG

I had adopted quite a few caches over the last few months from one cacher friend who's disability is now preventing him from maintaining them, and then a dozen or so more from another caching friend who moved out of the area. Tricky thing is I am now responsible for maintaining caches that I have never found. So my question is, what are the ethics about finding and logging finds on caches that, through the adoption process, you now own? :)

I had the same issue last year. I adopted 5 caches from someone that moved to another state. I had found 2/5 so far. After I adopted them, I went out and visited each cache to perform cache maintenance on each of them. For those that I hadn't found before I logged a find with an explanation like, "Just adopted this cache and had to come out and find it to verify location and perform any needed maintenance." I then posted a cache maintenance log on it stating, "Just adopted this cache and came out to check on it and everything is good to go."

Just make sure to bring extra logs, baggies, swag, and possibly a couple of containers to replace anything that is wrong with your newly adopted caches. This way you won't have to make multiple visits.

I've no problem logging a "find" on such a cache. I will do so too if I ever get around to one I adopted. I also understand if folks decide not to log such a cache.
I think the best policy will be if I can find it as if I was a cacher searching then claim the smilie, if not and I have to resort to something like contacting the original owner for info to find, then it will just go down as a maintenance run...

Thanks for the input!

I recently adopted six Earthcaches in my area. I had previously only visited one, so as I started getting the emails with answers, I had no frame of reference for each of the caches! I've been out to four of them so far and claimed a find on each. When I make it to the other two, I'm going to claim them, to.

I wouldn't adopt a cache that I did not found. Either I go out and find it before adopting it, or go there with the hider during the adoption process.

Last year a cache went up for adoption (a cache I DNF'ed once). I was thinking about adopting it, but first I went back and DNF'ed it a second time. The cache was adopted by another cacher soon after that. Assume I had adopted the cache before searching for it, now I would have a cache I couldn't find.

I had adopted quite a few caches over the last few months from one cacher friend who's disability is now preventing him from maintaining them, and then a dozen or so more from another caching friend who moved out of the area. Tricky thing is I am now responsible for maintaining caches that I have never found. So my question is, what are the ethics about finding and logging finds on caches that, through the adoption process, you now own? <_<

Don't be silly. Go for it. Those "Puritan's" you hear about around here are just a figment of 2 person's imaginations. :D

if I have to DNF a cache I "own" and then leave myself wondering if it's actually MIA and needs to be replaced or if the adopted cache was just trickier then I expected

Oh there's an easy solution to that. You own it, archive it, note "missing". This will guarantee that some novice working from print-outs will find it the next day, "Thanks for the easy one! didn't know it was archived, it's right there"; and then you can ask them where it is. <_<