Will the moon save humanity?

aginsa

Suff You Should Know Podcast

Anyone else listen to the Stuff You Should Know podcast about doomsday vaults?

At one point they were discussing the locations of doomsday vaults and how they were not published. They made a joke that if someone found out the locations they would turn them into big geocahces and all the seedbanks would be replaced with swag. ROFL. Pretty funny.

The only doomsday vaults I know of are all in remote northern locations here and in Europe.... Not many nearby caches....

As far as I knew the Moon and Jupiter (plus likely Saturn) have been protecting Earth for millenia. They've accumulated a lot of bits floating around in space thus saving Earth. Now we can take care of ourselves, we best get some plans going to guide threats away from our little ball of rock.

Methinks these Doomsday Vaults aren't Lock & Locks or Ammo Cans.

I wonder when the first geocache will be placed on the moon?

Never. GEO is Greek for Earth, isn't it? What you are wondering about is a lunacache. Those playing that game will probably be called Lunatics.

um... and the difference will be....??

<_<

I wonder when the first geocache will be placed on the moon?

Never. GEO is Greek for Earth, isn't it? What you are wondering about is a lunacache. Those playing that game will probably be called Lunatics.

um... and the difference will be....??

<_<

Lunacaches will be disguised as green cheese. That and there will have to be a whole new umbrella of satellites orbiting the moon. The set we use now would not be of much use.

THIS is why i do not ever have beverages at my computer.

... and exactly why I do.

you LIKE expelling fluids out your nose onto your keyboard?

The moon won't always be around for us. As we sit here it is moving away from the Earth at a rate of about 4 feet per year.

Well that will eliminate caching on the moon. Moving caches are a violation of the guidelines.

well, by that definition every cache is a moving cache...

I think we may be referring to different types of beverages and different reasons for our preferences regarding them, flask.

Edit: (dang, you made it hard to get those quotes right!!)

Edited by knowschad

The moon won't always be around for us. As we sit here it is moving away from the Earth at a rate of about 4 feet per year.

Well that will eliminate caching on the moon. Moving caches are a violation of the guidelines.

Oh crud! We're all in violation of the guidelines. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

[quote name='flask' date='Jan 27 2010, 08:22 PM' post='4207079'

]

Oh crud! We're all in violation of the guidelines. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I wonder how screwed up we can really get this quoting thing, anyway?

No doubt just sneaking away, trying to distance itself from all of us posting in this forum.

Anyway, as to the problem of reception - now that Google Earth (?) has the moon covered as well as Mars, will gc.com relent on using those facilities to place a cache in lieu of a GPSr???

Then we've got the problem of Admins... What do we say if they ask us whether we received permission for the cache? "Yes, we approached the local little green man, and after he helped himself to all of the good stuff in the ammo can we left behind, deigned to allow us to leave the can".

... Those playing that game will probably be called Lunatics.

So does that mean that we are to be called Geotics, here on Earth?

You know, by some strange quirk of the language I believe we are still known as lunatics. Not entirely sure how that works.

I'm just a nut...(or so family and somewhat limited friends tell me)

You know, by some strange quirk of the language I believe we are still known as lunatics. Not entirely sure how that works.

I beg to differ. If you are getting involved in this conversation you are a lunatic.

I beg to differ. If you are getting involved in this conversation you are a lunatic.

But just the other day I was wrapping myself in saran wrap after getting out of the shower when my wife walked into the bathroom and said "I can clearly see you're nuts" :lostsignal:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100129/sc_...onof2010tonight

Tonight's full moon will be the biggest and brightest full moon of the year. It offers anyone with clear skies an opportunity to identify easy-to-see features on the moon.

This being the first full moon of 2010, it is also known as the wolf moon, a moniker dating back to Native American culture and the notion that hungry wolves howled at the full moon on cold winter nights. Each month brings another full moon name.

But why will this moon be bigger than others? Here's how the moon works:

The moon is, on average, 238,855 miles (384,400 km) from Earth. The moon's orbit around Earth – which causes it to go through all its phases once every 29.5 days – is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse. One side of the orbit is 31,070 miles (50,000 km) closer than the other.

(and I was mistaken earlier when I said the moon was moving away at 4 feet per year. It's actually 4cm)

Edited by bittsen

I was so excited to see the big moon tonight. But it was pretty dark out, so I was concerned. I went out on the back deck and looked for the moon, and finally found a dim little glow above me. :) I realized that it was cloudy and snowing a bit. :lostsignal:

Sure, I howled at the moon. I yelled, "Oh, NOZE!!!!!!!". :D:)

I was so excited to see the big moon tonight. But it was pretty dark out, so I was concerned. I went out on the back deck and looked for the moon, and finally found a dim little glow above me. :) I realized that it was cloudy and snowing a bit. :lostsignal:

"Oh, NOZE"? That was YOU? OMG! no... ZOMG!!! That was YOU? I HEARD you!!! It was, like, TONIGHT, right? Earlier? Yeah! I was outside, here in Minnesota, just looking up at that HUGE, BRIGHT MOON when, suddenly, what do I hear, but... "Oh, NOZE!!!!!!!".

This means something.

I was so excited to see the big moon tonight. But it was pretty dark out, so I was concerned. I went out on the back deck and looked for the moon, and finally found a dim little glow above me. :D I realized that it was cloudy and snowing a bit. :lostsignal:

Sure, I howled at the moon. I yelled, "Oh, NOZE!!!!!!!". ;):)

"Oh, NOZE"? That was YOU? OMG! no... ZOMG!!! That was YOU? I HEARD you!!! It was, like, TONIGHT, right? Earlier? Yeah! I was outside, here in Minnesota, just looking up at that HUGE, BRIGHT MOON when, suddenly, what do I hear, but... "Oh, NOZE!!!!!!!".

This means something.

Well, I think it's safe to say that the train has definitely come off the tracks. :)

This means something.

It does mean something.

howl.gif