Create Zone from map

TheHarvesters

Topic title says it all really.

When I try to use the create zone from map option I just get a page of signals smiling at me and a message telling me the themes 'are not available'. I can't recall the precise message, but it is a theme issue and I am away from my building machine right now. I have tried with each of the three themes, and get the same message each time.

Is there anyone who could help me with this, as it would certainly make the building easier.

I am UK based - could that be part of the problem?

FYI, when I emulate - the map appears fine.

Edited by TheHarvesters

Topic title says it all really.

When I try to use the create zone from map option I just get a page of signals smiling at me and a message telling me the themes 'are not available'. I can't recall the precise message, but it is a theme issue and I am away from my building machine right now. I have tried with each of the three themes, and get the same message each time.

Is there anyone who could help me with this, as it would certainly make the building easier.

I am UK based - could that be part of the problem?

FYI, when I emulate - the map appears fine.

The map option works only in US I think. The simple way is to use the create zone point with "set" and then "generate points" where you get an option about zone size. If you want to change you have to delete the 4 points generated and start anew. You can as well use "create from adress

j-annie Swden with 4 Wherigo caches

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...6c-6ac244cfb42d

Thankyou both. frustrating, but at least I can stop trying to fix it now.

I was creating my points as you suggested, so that's all good, but doesn;t give me that flexibility that the map affords. never mind.

I'm currently re-imagining one of my multi-caches as a Wherigo - not sure I'll publish it as such, but it's helping drive through the understanding - I promise you I will be back with more questions! :)

I'm sure they'll be equally straightforward for you to answer though.

If you need a specific shape, you could always use something like google earth to work out where the points should be and type each one in manually.

This might help.

Alternatively, my builder (Earwigo) uses the built-in editing functions of Google Maps to define zones directly. :)

Edited by sTeamTraen
that *is* very good. Apart from getting the in-app solution working for outside of the US I can't imagine anything much better!

If you encounter problems (or repetitive strain injury) with the Groundspeak builder, feel free to send me a mail via my profile if you want to give Earwigo a try.

For completeness of this thread I should just point out that I've been using Earwigo for the past 3 days and am impressed with its intuitveness when compared to the standard builder.

It's not without fault, but clearly the better of the two imo.

Add to that a terrific support from Nick and others via a seperate google group. I'd encourage any of you serious about this to check it out.

Of course I'll be frequently using this forum also. I just wish Groundspeak would update something. Even some ambiguous, "well be looking into that later in 2010", would suffice for now. Has that sort of statement been forthcoming?

Edited by TheHarvesters
I just wish Groundspeak would update something. Even some ambiguous, "well be looking into that later in 2010", would suffice for now. Has that sort of statement been forthcoming?
This statement has not. I do wonder Groundspeak's future plans regarding the Builder in general. Last I heard, they were looking into hosting Earwigo instead of working on the Builder. Guess I'll have to ask about all that when I write the next email.
It's not without fault

Please tell us about the faults in the group. :D If they're not fundamental to the philosophy of the thing, I'm always open to improvements.

Well, actually... at the moment I think it's mostly me who is fault.

But what I really meant to say is that it is being continually developed. Any things you wish it would do that it doesn't already will be considered and 'prioritised' it seems for inclusion in a future release. Of course the wishes have to be within reason... :ph34r: