Delorme support experiences

Some may remember my thread a couple of weeks ago re. our PN40 bricking. Yesterday we received a reply from Delorme and were instructed to ship the unit back in for repair. I can almost understand the delay as I've read this is a fairly common problem but I was expecting a paid shipping label, nope, customer is responsible for shipping.

I've read on these forums comments giving Delorme support very high ratings, just curious- where is it? BTW, this is a new unit under warranty.

I'm not here to bash Delorme but in the interest of consumer information I don't see the company worthy of such a high rating for their support. I am curious about other experiences.

Some may remember my thread a couple of weeks ago re. our PN40 bricking. Yesterday we received a reply from Delorme and were instructed to ship the unit back in for repair. I can almost understand the delay as I've read this is a fairly common problem but I was expecting a paid shipping label, nope, customer is responsible for shipping.

I've read on these forums comments giving Delorme support very high ratings, just curious- where is it? BTW, this is a new unit under warranty.

I'm not here to bash Delorme but in the interest of consumer information I don't see the company worthy of such a high rating for their support. I am curious about other experiences.

If you were advised in the thread to use the phone instead of email based on past experiences, the shot in the foot is self-inflicted.

Before answering to expectations of a pre-paid box to be sent to you... I'm curious how many other GPS manufacturers send a pre-paid box to the customer to ship back a bricked unit? I know Magellan in the past didn't do this. Can't speak for the present.

As for customer service they've always been on top of things when I called them. Hold times are rare and short when it does happen and I don't have to drill down a telephony system to gain a live body. I'd rate them 5 out of 5 based on my personal experiences.

I'll echo what others have said. Talk to them on the phone and support is exemplory. Send them an email and you may be waiting awhile.

I've had the same experience with Garmin. Call them, or in my case, I can visit them directly since I don't live far from their headquarters, and you'll get good service. Email them and good luck. I'll admit though that since I sold my 60csx, I've not delt with Garmin in well over a year.

Overall, I'd say that the support I've gotten first hand or heard others getting from Delorme has been exceptional, in some cases far better than I would normally expect.

In my following of the boards here and at the DeLorme forum, I can only recall two or three people who expressed displeasure at the service they received. Most are quite pleased with this aspect, and I have a distinct impression that DeLorme takes pride in their level of service.

As best I know, the usual practice if for customers to pay shipping from their end. There have been occasional reports of DeLorme paying for overnight shipping of replacements (taking a credit card number as insurance for the eventual return of the defective unit) when time was of the essence. Typical turnaround--with shipping--seems to be about 7-10 days.

I can almost understand the delay as I've read this is a fairly common problem but I was expecting a paid shipping label, nope, customer is responsible for shipping.

I have had to deal with Garmin and send a unit back. The samething, I paid for shipping and they shipped it back. There customer sevice is good, but Delormes is fantastic. For both you must call. I have already gotten a reply from Garmin 3 weeks after I contacted them through their web page.

They are OK, not great. I had a few dud PN40s. First time I called they shipped me a new one before I sent mine back. Didn't even ask for a credit card number. They just trusted me to send my unit back when I got the new one. I thought that was great.

A few weeks later the 40 went bad again and the guy told me he would send me a new one. Because my problem was sporadic I held on to the unit, waiting for the new one to arrive, but it never did. Called and they said they were waiting for my unit. That wasn't what they told me when I called.

OK so I sent the unit in with a note explaining the sporadic problem. Got the same unit back with a note saying that it worked fine. I still had the problem. What part about sporadic didn't they get?

Called again and the tech promised me he would take a new unit off the shelf himself and mail it to me that day. Well he didn't.

On the bright side I did complain in these forums about me being out 40 some bucks for shipping and insurance after sending back the unit 3 times. The DeLorme guy who cruises these forums saw my post and made sure I had the money refunded.

I have dealt w/DeLorme's cust. serv.; I used the phone, new 'back plastics' were the prescribed

cure. I elected to pop for the express shipping on my end, they did likewise on theirs'.

End result: Shipped from Washington to Maine on Thursday, MY repaired DEVICE was in MY

HANDS after I returned home from work on the immediate following Tuesday. Six days w/a

weekend in the middle, . . . "Not too shabby!" if you ask me. I'd say this and my experience

acquiring Topo8 upgrades has put DeLorme's customer service "#1w/a bullet" in my book.

If your milage varies, I'd be surprised.

Norm

Thanks for the replies. Delorme is obviously a popular unit and I should add Robin really likes hers. Before buying it I read lots of posts here promoting them. After a few trips out the bubble popped and the response - mail it back and we'll fix it just wasn't anything above average.

Looking back a few years I've had only had to return a few items for service. One was a HP laptop, they sent me a pre-paid shipping container and arranged for UPS to pick it up at my door. BTW, this laptop was out of warranty but the problem, motherboard issue, was a known defect. The other incident was a Garmin Etrex HC that went out a few days after Amazons thirty day return policy. They sent a pre-paid label, and even issued a store credit to cover the original shipping and my trouble.

To me these are examples of outstanding customer service, Top of the ladder merchants.

In my opinion Delorme has a popular unit with some nice features. It is buggy though, and their service/support is par. From my perspective some of the comments I read before buying seem a little over enthusiastic.

Before buying it I read lots of posts here promoting them.

Beware. Some of the DeLorme "fans" here are on the payroll. They get freebies from DeLorme in exchange for their enthusiastic support.

I've never heard of that. I'm sure there are people who have been beta testers for DeLorme (which may lead to free t-shirts or something, but I've never been in a position to find out), but that doesn't mean they haven't also been critical of DeLorme.

Beware. Some of the DeLorme "fans" here are on the payroll. They get freebies from DeLorme in exchange for their enthusiastic support.
Brian, that's a serious accusation.

Are you going to name names? Challenge TeamDelorme directly on this? Take any other action in an "official" capacity as a forum moderator?

There certainly are DeLorme users around here who seem to be more than "fans," displaying a near religious, fanatical devotion. Some of the more ardent ones probably make DeLorme's marketing people uncomfortable. Would YOU want outrageous whackos advocating YOUR products? Yet the same could apply to loyalists of any brand name here -- I doubt the majority of them are on anyone's payroll, they're just a bit cuckoo.

Now for a disclosure (one I have made before): I have received freebies from DeLorme, as beta tester for certain products. I did get a PN-40 GPS and also some software. And I have bought other things from them with my own funds. My own history of comments on DeLorme's products is decidedly mixed.

SO -- I have in the past gotten freebies from DeLorme. Sometimes I say good things about their products. And sometimes not so good things. Are you accusing ME of being on their payroll?

Edited by lee_rimar

Not only is that comment false and misleading but bad form especially coming from a moderator. To my knowledge the only posts here that come from someone on the Delorme "payroll" are from TeamDelorme which are clearly identified as such and are posted only to help answer questions. I don't believe Delorme requires or even asks for any enthusiastic support in exchange for being a beta tester.

Brian, that's a serious accusation.

Are you going to name names? Challenge TeamDelorme directly on this? Take any other action in an "official" capacity as a forum moderator?

There certainly are DeLorme users around here who seem to be more than "fans," displaying a near religious, fanatical devotion. Some of the more ardent ones probably make DeLorme's marketing people uncomfortable. Would YOU want outrageous whackos advocating YOUR products? Yet the same could apply to loyalists of any brand name here -- I doubt the majority of them are on anyone's payroll, they're just a bit cuckoo.

Now for a disclosure (one I have made before): I have received freebies from DeLorme, as beta tester for certain products. I did get a PN-40 GPS and some software to -- and I have bought other things from them with my own funds. If you review my own history of comments on DeLorme's products, you'll find them decidedly mixed.

SO -- I get freebies from DeLorme and sometimes say good things about their products. And sometimes not so good things. Are you accusing ME of being on their payroll?

I'll can not let Lee's 100% honest reply standalone.

Now, I hope that I get a OMB form 1099 from DeLorme that I can take to my tax man so I don't get prosecuted for tax evasion. ;)

Oh yeah, on another forum, I've recommended Samsung LCD monitors to those seeking advice.

Another 1099?

Worse yet, my tax guy does not charge a flat fee.

I don't think it's a secret that those that frequent this and other forums devoted to the subject have gotten free stuff from Delorme. I don't think I would beta test a product unless there were a few perks. However, I certainly don't want to exclude those people from participating in the forum even though they may be slightly biased. They have valuable information that we need and our interaction with them can influence future firmware, software and hardware updates. I think accusing them of being paid to tout Delorme is going a bit far, they are just lucky to not have to pay for their toys. My opion anyway, FWIW.

I don't think it's a secret that those that frequent this and other forums devoted to the subject have gotten free stuff from Delorme.

For the record, I've never received anything from DeLorme for free.

I don't think I would beta test a product unless there were a few perks. However, I certainly don't want to exclude those people from participating in the forum even though they may be slightly biased. They have valuable information that we need and our interaction with them can influence future firmware, software and hardware updates. I think accusing them of being paid to tout Delorme is going a bit far, they are just lucky to not have to pay for their toys.
I've never seen the NDA, so I don't even know if beta testers are allowed to reveal that they are beta testers. I think it's a safe assumption though that beta testers aren't allowed to discuss what they're testing when they're testing it.

I've never seen perks described by beta testers (maybe another part of the NDA?) but there are a few people running around w/ Serious Tool T-shirts ;)

Dakboy, I have never made a secret of the fact that DeLorme gave me my PN-40 for testing. I've mentioned it before in the forums and also in the product review I posted on the geocaching.com reviews section.

I was not one of the orignal beta testers for the PN-40 itself, but have been involved with testing firmware upgrades and some related software products. You are correct that the NDA terms prohbiit discussing products I'm testing, at least while the product is being tested. It's not nearly as bad as some other companies I've done testing for, where the existence of the NDA itself is covered under the NDA.

In any case, I'm pretty careful about that and I don't think I've ever slipped publicly here on the NDA terms.

And as many times as I've "locked horns" with various DeLorme fans around here, it's would be laughable to suggest that I'm a paid shill.

Edited by lee_rimar

"Being on the the payroll", in my opinion, means receiving compensation for preforming a task. Consequently if a beta tester was given free merchandise then they were "on the payroll" for performing that task. In the fairness of disclosure they should then acknowledge that fact whenever they are giving an opinion about a product.

OldA'sFan

Is this true? I bought my unit because of some of the posts. If this is true I want to know who I can sue if I have a problem with my unit.

Among others, me.

For an out of court settlement,

call my lawyer, Jennie @ 800-867-5309

Have you ever received free merchandise from Delorme?

How many Garmin users have received free merchandise from Garmin?

You might want to rephrase that question by adding...

... as compensation for performing a service.

Edited by TotemLake

Is this true? I bought my unit because of some of the posts. If this is true I want to know who I can sue if I have a problem with my unit.

Among others, me.

Can't answer the question about Garmin. Your right, I like your phrase better than mine. By the way, have you ever received free merchandise from Delorme as compensation for performing a service.

TotemLake and OldA's Fan, you might want to tighten up the language even further, to more specifically address Briansnat's accusation:

Have you ever been offered, or received merchandise for giving any DeLorme a favorable review?

Though I'm personally offended by the accusation, I can almost see how he might come to that belief about some of the more ardent DeLorme fanboys. As I said previously in this thread though, in a large enough forum you can find enthusiastic devotees for almost any product -- without having to pay them off.

Edited by lee_rimar

TotemLake and OldA's Fan, you might want to tighten the up the language even further, to more specifically address Briansnat's accusation:

Have you ever been offered, or received merchandise for giving any DeLorme a favorable review?

Though I'm personally offended by the accusation, I can almost see how he might come to that belief about some of the more ardent DeLorme fanboys. As I said previously in this thread though, in a large enough forum you can find enthusiastic devotees for almost any product -- without having to pay them off.

I agree with the offensive nature of the accusation.

Something else to consider: it effectively derailed the OP's request. Something moderators will chide other users of the forum when they do it. There's a word for that.

Oh, I don't know about that -- we're still peripherally discussing how DeLorme deals with its customer base :lostsignal:

But yeah -- under the original topic, I think it was all covered in the first few posts ("use the phone, they're not quick about email").

Edited by lee_rimar

Among others, me.

Can't answer the question about Garmin. Your right, I like your phrase better than mine. By the way, have you ever received free merchandise from Delorme as compensation for performing a service.

I received a T-shirt for doing a repeatability test. It started as a contest. Everyone ended up receiving one.

Does that mean my opinion is biased based ona $20 shirt? No.

My experience is as I stated it with customer service and the CS I received was before the repeatability test was accomplished.

Was I signed on as a tester? No.

Am I now? No.

Will I be? My crystal ball is broken so I'm currently unable to answer that question.

Was I compensated to provide favorable reviews? Absolutely irrevocably not.

What bothers me most about this inquiry and any accusation or insinuation, is in the last 6 years, I have never seen this happening with any other brand.

My turn to expect an answer from you:

I don't need to know. Consider it rhetorical.

Edited by TotemLake
Why is it you and others have to have this as a required disclosure from DeLorme users?
Wow, am I gonna stick my foot in it here...

While I think Brian's accusation was off-base, out of line for a moderator to post in the forum -- his SUSPICION does not surprise me. I've heard it privately from other folks as well. Without mentioning any names - there are a lot of DeLorme fanboys in here whose posts go way over the top. In my judgement, these are just an extreme fringe element.

But I really doubt anyone here is on the take -- the whacko nutcases extreme fanboys are just really, REALLY loyal. You can find lunatic fanatic fans of other brands and products, sure -- D. just seems to collect them to a greater extent. I really think some of them LOSE sales for DeLorme, because sensible readers probably can see bu11shyte bizarre hype for what it is.

And of course, I'm not talking about you personally, I mean some other whacko nutcases extreme fanboys.

Edited by lee_rimar
Why is it you and others have to have this as a required disclosure from DeLorme users?
Wow, am I gonna stick my foot in it here...

While I think Brian's accusation was off-base, out of line for a moderator to post in the forum -- his SUSPICION does not surprise me. I've heard it privately from other folks as well. Without mentioning any names - there are a lot of DeLorme fanboys in here whose posts go way over the top. In my judgement, these are just an extreme fringe element.

But I really doubt anyone here is on the take -- the whacko nutcases extreme fanboys are just really, REALLY loyal. You can find the lunatic supporters of other brands and product, sure -- D. just seems to collect them to a greater extent. I really think some of them LOSE sales for DeLorme, because sensible readers probably can see bizarre hype for what it is.

And of course, I'm not talking about YOU personally, I mean some OTHER whacko nutcases extreme fanboys.

I would definately agree that there are some overly passionate PN owners that have posted in these forums but I sure hope I'm not viewed that way. I gave up on those "which is better" threads long ago. I occasionally still offer my buying recomendations in as fair and toned down response as possible, otherwise I just try to offer assistance to those asking "how to" questions.

Edited by Pax42

In the fairness of disclosure they should then acknowledge that fact whenever they are giving an opinion about a product.

OldA'sFan

What your gibberish reveals is that you have not done a thorough review of my posts.

My posts regarding product performance characteristics do not contain OPINION - they contain FACTS only.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Let me say that I have no first hand knowledge of this and I based my comment on hearsay. That was just plain wrong. Though I do not moderate this forum, as a moderator in another forum I represent Groundspeak no matter what forum I post in. I have a level of responsibility that I did not live up to.

I would like to emphasize that my comment was not based on any facts known to me. Irresponsible comments such as mine can tarnish the reputations of the fine participants of this forum and a great company like DeLorme and have no place here.

I apologize to DeLorme, the forum users here and my friends at Groundspeak for my irresponsible spreading of unsubstantiated gossip and I hereby retract this ugly, baseless comment.

Edited by briansnat

Let me say that I have no first hand knowledge of this and I based my comment on hearsay. That was just plain wrong. Though I do not moderate this forum, as a moderator in another forum I represent Groundspeak no matter what forum I post in. I have a level of responsibility that I did not live up to.

I would like to emphasize that my comment was not based on any facts known to me. Irresponsible comments such as mine can tarnish the reputations of the fine participants of this forum and a great company like DeLorme and have no place here.

I apologize to DeLorme, the forum users here and my friends at Groundspeak for my irresponsible spreading of unsubstantiated gossip and I hereby retract this ugly, baseless comment.

Apology accepted, retraction acknowledged.

Norm

With Brian's retraction, the matter is closed -- as far as I'm concerned.

Actually and I should have specified more clearly because I am really with you on this, I was referencing another poster's need to ask. Be that as it may, I'm dropping it. I don't need to know and I'll edit that post too. :lostsignal:

:lostsignal: so is it too late to get back on topic here? I saw the thread topic, and wanted to post about my own DeLorme support experiences, which I would call sub-par.

Like the OP, my first unit was a brick. New out of the box. I did the stuff recommended on the DeLorme forums, no good, so called and the rep immediately offered to replace it, my mailing expense, but if I'd email him with a tracking # he'd ship the replacement upon receipt of the #, not waiting for the unit.

Replacement unit worked fine, until one day I couldn't get it to stop routing to the intermediate stage of a multi-cache. I finally was able to delete the point and get the unit to stop routing. After I deleted that point, it seemed to be working normally. When I got home, I discovered that all the points and tracks in the device could be seen in the device, but not by the DeLorme software, or by GPSBabel.

I couldn't get my data out.

The advice from the rep was to, "look at the points for malformed points and edit them". Seriously, one by one by one - in the unit, paw through hundreds of points, looking for malformed points? I complained that this wasn't the most useful solution anyone had ever offered. His response was that this was, "very unusual behavior". Yeah.

Ultimately, I deleted everything in the unit, and reloaded the firmware. The unit has worked normally since, but if I'm going to be in a remote location, I don't carry this device, I don't trust it.