Where can I buy bison tubes locally?

CaseysNewHobby

So...

what kind of store would sell bison tubes, or something a lot like them? I've tried hobby stores, hardware stores, outdoor stores, army surplus stores...

No luck. Most employees have no idea what I'm talking about and treat me like I'm an idiot. I'm thinking these may exist for some other purpose than geocaching, but I just don't know what they would be called, or what kind of store would sell them.

Has anyone found these in an actual store? If so, what was it?!?!?

Thanks!

Casey

Most CVS and Rite Aid have 'em near the pharmacy.

Ask a clerk where the nitro (the heart kind ) :) or pill containers are.

They have the larger metal ones and some heavy plastic ones (great for painting.)

Make sure you look for one with an o-ring or gasket, as I've seen some without.

You'll probably pay a bit more than online with tax and such.

CaseysNewHobby,

REI isn't exactly local, but hey.

A couple of the bigger pet stores have tiny metal screw-top ID holders in with the leashes and dog tags. Possibly too small for a cache.

East side Cub Foods has probably what you found at Walgreen's. White plastic, with a red O-ring. Near the pharmacy, with the pill reminders, tablet cutters.

Wally World has the same size, brushed aluminum. Pretty expensive for what it is. Again, near the pharmacy.

It's worth trying Gopher Bargain Center. I picked up several of the white plastic pill fobs there, cheap.

FWIW Department:

Quality of both the tubes and especially the o-rings is all over the map.

Tendency is for finders to over-torque when closing, and cheap o-rings cut very easily, and most dry out and crack in the sun. Once cut or cracked, they fall off, and you're going to get water inside unless you live in a desert where it never rains.

Those choosing to use these for cache containers will do well to find a secondary source for GOOD o-rings made of sterner stuff than 99% of those supplied with bison tubes.

One recommendation is o-rings made of butadiene rubber, available at Ace, Home Depot, etc. often made by Danco. They're a bit fat, but it's better than wet logs.

Those choosing to use these for cache containers will do well to find a secondary source for GOOD o-rings made of sterner stuff than 99% of those supplied with bison tubes.

I have a box of the finest O-rings that Harbor Freight offers. Once the factory O-ring breaks or rots away (couple of finds, or couple of weeks to rot), I install the new improved one. I check and maintain mine, but my bison tubes, match tubes, 50ML vials (no O-ring, they have caps that seal like a soda bottle does), and small Lock-N-Locks (the real deal), have the most soaking wet logs of all my caches. It's a mystery of the universe that can never be fathomed.

Strangely, they're perfectly dry during periods when nobody has found them.

Edited by kunarion