stone caches

audiolab

stone caches are great. Sprinkler caches should be banned. I mentioned it before how I have seen so many real sprinklers destroyed because cachers are looking for a fake one. That is costly for who ever has to replace them.

yeah I once found a fake sprinkler as a cache that was in between two other real sprinklers so it "blended" in. Imagine that every cacher who tried to find it had a 33% of finding the cache and a 66% chance of screwing with a real sprinkler head.

You get to ground zero and see a sprinkler head. With a slight tug the head and a six-inch sealed tube attached to nothing comes out of the ground. It's probably the cache you are hunting for.

If water is dripping out of it, if when you tug on it it seems to be firmly attached, if you have to get on your knees and disassemble it, if you have to climb into someone's flower bed, or if it's an exact match for other sprinkler heads a few feet away... it's probably not the cache you seek.

Come on folks, this isn't rocket surgery! :ph34r:

stone caches are great. Sprinkler caches should be banned. I mentioned it before how I have seen so many real sprinklers destroyed because cachers are looking for a fake one. That is costly for who ever has to replace them.

yeah I once found a fake sprinkler as a cache that was in between two other real sprinklers so it "blended" in. Imagine that every cacher who tried to find it had a 33% of finding the cache and a 66% chance of screwing with a real sprinkler head.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the off-topic ball and run with it here. In 6.5 years and 2,000 finds of Geocaching, I've never encountered a sprinkler head cache, or even heard of one's existance any where near my home coordinates (in Western New York). I suspect this must be a warmer and/or drier climate phenomena. Is this Ebay listing what you people are talking about?

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the off-topic ball and run with it here. In 6.5 years and 2,000 finds of Geocaching, I've never encountered a sprinkler head cache, or even heard of one's existance any where near my home coordinates (in Western New York). I suspect this must be a warmer and/or drier climate phenomena. Is this Ebay listing what you people are talking about?

Yup, that's one type. All the ones i've seen are similar.

You get to ground zero and see a sprinkler head. With a slight tug the head and a six-inch sealed tube attached to nothing comes out of the ground. It's probably the cache you are hunting for.

If water is dripping out of it, if when you tug on it it seems to be firmly attached, if you have to get on your knees and disassemble it, if you have to climb into someone's flower bed, or if it's an exact match for other sprinkler heads a few feet away... it's probably not the cache you seek.

Come on folks, this isn't rocket surgery! :tongue:

Well, I have found one that doesn't fit your description.

I searched the area and found nothing but there was a raised sprinkler. I tugged on it lightly and it was firmly locked to the ground so I passed it over. Logged a DNF.

Had a hint from the cache owner so I went back out for it a couple weeks later. Looked all around for anything and everything that matched the hint, all that was there was that sprinkler head.

Normally I won't unscrew them but this one I did, and yes, it was the cache.

I don't know how the head was secured into the ground but it was undistinguishable from a real sprinkler head based on feel alone.

In my 5 years and 3400 finds, I have found four different sprinkler head caches. All seemed obvious enough. In that same time, I've seen dozens of sprinkler heads that had damage from lawn mowers, aerators, football cleats, icy winters, but never from a geocacher. I am not saying it can't happen. But if uncommon sense is used, it should be impossible for a real sprinkler head to be damaged.

[

I'm originally from your area (Cheektowaga) and never saw them until I moved out west. Since the ground doesn't freeze here, the sprinklers have irrigation tubing buried in the ground. They pop up when the water is turned on.

[

I'm originally from your area (Cheektowaga) and never saw them until I moved out west. Since the ground doesn't freeze here, the sprinklers have irrigation tubing buried in the ground. They pop up when the water is turned on.

I'm from the same area as the Urk Man. I've also never seen one of those caches. There are sprinkler systems around that work as you describe.

[

I'm from the same area as the Urk Man. I've also never seen one of those caches. There are sprinkler systems around that work as you describe.

Maybe just plastic tubing in the warmer climates, but heavy duty copper or even stainless steel piping in cold ones? I don't know. Who the heck ever paid attention to sprinkler systems? :tongue: I'll say other than golf courses (and always the greens only), a few upscale office parks, and about one out of every 10,000 private homeowners, sprinkler systems are quite rare around here.

Ok, Ok, I'm done!! Stone caches it is. :(

I've seen some fairly busted up sprinkler heads close to caches.

The stone cache is cool as long as it's not placed in a pile of rocks.

I've done one like that. It wasn't too bad. Thinking about it, that is probably the best place for one.

I absolutely hate rock pile caches. That's not to say they aren't for some, but I just pass them up.

Caches in rock piles???

c2af0dc0-0aa9-4abf-b5ca-46570894c398.jpg

Of course, the cache is an ammo can. Still took me two tries to find it.

Yea! Back on topic. Sorry about that. I may or may not start a thread about sprinkler head caches. Yeah, I found a cache in a rock pile last weekend. With about 2" of snow on the rocks to boot. It was in a WIDE open area with no signal obstructions (which I'd say many rockpile caches are), so I waited until the GPS told me I was within 3 feet, and sure enough I was; that funny pile of rocks right there. :tongue:

That looks awesome Dolphin, is that in New Jersey?

How many is "so many"?

Slightly less than "so-freaking-many".

:tongue:

I know... that was good, wasn't it?
Caches in rock piles???

c2af0dc0-0aa9-4abf-b5ca-46570894c398.jpg

Of course, the cache is an ammo can. Still took me two tries to find it.

I have one very similar to that. HUGE rocks. The cache is a 50 cal. ammo can that I painted to closely match the color of the rocks. Some of it is in plain sight, yet I have gone back to do a maintenance check-up on it and not been able to find it myself! It has been found since, so I know that its still there.

I absolutely hate rock pile caches. That's not to say they aren't for some, but I just pass them up.

Agreed. Rock pile caches are prime candidates for my ever-growing Ignore List.

--Larry

You guys REALLY want to avoid the Frank Slide area in the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta...

Actually the prime cache there (Charlie's Cache) isn't that tough... haven't looked for the others that seem to be around there... but the rocks... pictures don't do the place justice. Of course there are lots of other caches in the area as well.

Doug

[

Maybe just plastic tubing in the warmer climates, but heavy duty copper or even stainless steel piping in cold ones? I don't know. Who the heck ever paid attention to sprinkler systems? :laughing: I'll say other than golf courses (and always the greens only), a few upscale office parks, and about one out of every 10,000 private homeowners, sprinkler systems are quite rare around here.

Ok, Ok, I'm done!! Stone caches it is. :P

First, I own a Stone cache. It's no where near a rock wall (or any other rocks of similar size). It's on a puzzle caches based on meteorites and asteroids so the cache is meant to resemble a rock that has fallen from the sky.

I live a few hours east of the western NY folks, have about half as many finds, but have found one sprinkler head cache. It was in Monterey, CA. I know of one other that my brother placed out in Sacramento (a photo of it was actually posted here once).

I don't recall ever seeing an underground sprinkler system since I've lived on the east coast (about 15 years). I'm not so sure that plastic vs. copper tubing. I know, from personal experience, that copper tubes freeze and burst. I don't know how deep pipes are buried from underground sprinkler systems but out here if you want to bury a pipe you're supposed to a trench deeper than the depth at which the ground freezes. Digging 3-4 foot trenches is just not cost effective approach for watering a lawn.

Sprinkler systems in cold weather climates are installed the same as in warm weather areas, with one slight modification. A method to blow the lines out with compressed air is added. Every fall, the water is shut off, and the lines are blown out. Simple procedure.

Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense.

If someone did place a cache as a sprinkler head I imagine that it would provide an entertaining scenario.

"Look Bob, here comes another one of those geocachers looking for that one in the fake sprinkler head. Get ready to turn on the compressed air..."