Instead of a cache, what did you find?

I wasn't exactly geocaching at the time, but I was out playing, and driving through a busy intersection I noticed something laying in the middle of the street, so I did a quick u-turn and picked up a Garmin gps. I think some one on a trip left it on top of their car and drove off. This should be a lesson to people to put their name and home coordinants in their gps. I would gladly have returned it if I could have. :)

I wasn't exactly geocaching at the time, but I was out playing, and driving through a busy intersection I noticed something laying in the middle of the street, so I did a quick u-turn and picked up a Garmin gps. I think some one on a trip left it on top of their car and drove off. This should be a lesson to people to put their name and home coordinants in their gps. I would gladly have returned it if I could have. :)

Look at their POI or their waypoints to see if they marked one as "home".

What model GPS did you find?

If it belonged to a geocacher, you could check the found list on the GPSr and see who logs those caches with notes about losing their GPSr...

I wasn't exactly geocaching at the time, but I was out playing, and driving through a busy intersection I noticed something laying in the middle of the street, so I did a quick u-turn and picked up a Garmin gps. I think some one on a trip left it on top of their car and drove off. This should be a lesson to people to put their name and home coordinants in their gps. I would gladly have returned it if I could have. <_<

Look at their POI or their waypoints to see if they marked one as "home".

What model GPS did you find?

I looked at every waypoint route, etc. the only thing marked was some atv trails. as for what model the gps was, all I'll say is that it was a newer one with all the topo maps on it. :D

I found a 15inch monkey wrench in pursuit of a cache. Also, instead of a cache, I found a note on a trail behind a middle school that read, "Will you date my friend Stephen?" I found a homemade surveillance camera rigged behind some palmettos at the entrance of a gated community. Lastly, I found a bullet lodged in my left shoulder while looking for a cache around a park.

Only three of the four are true.

I put my contact info on the welcome screen. I've lost my unit once and gotten it back because I did so.

Stuff I've found while caching? A football, a plastic cup good enough to keep, and some golf balls. I'm thinking about bringing a metal detector.

I am still learning to use my gps i have a GARMIN etrex vista i had it now a few weeks and every other morning when i am satting in the market cafe eating breskfast and drinking coffee and mess with it and i found thta it has a battery bar letting me know h0w much power that i have left that is a A-plus for me to know the power i have left,and also i did notice that upon turning it on this unit belongs to ///it shows blank how do i get my name on it or in it??/

Edited by wilddav

Odd: I found three teenagers smoking something illegal down by a baseball park. They freaked out, went back to their car, then returned for the pipe they stashed under a trash can when they realized I wasn't a cop.

Cool: I stumbled upon a small historic dump with all manner of old broken glassware. The best were the old medicine bottles in various shades of brown and green. I'm not a historic archaeologist but my guess was the site dated to slightly before the turn of the century.

Odd: I found three teenagers smoking something illegal down by a baseball park. They freaked out, went back to their car, then returned for the pipe they stashed under a trash can when they realized I wasn't a cop.

Cool: I stumbled upon a small historic dump with all manner of old broken glassware. The best were the old medicine bottles in various shades of brown and green. I'm not a historic archaeologist but my guess was the site dated to slightly before the turn of the century.

If any of those bottles are intact they can sell for quite a bit of money to antique dealers. In my hometown north of Phila. they actually excavate old outhouse pits from the mid to late 1800's looking for rare bottles.

I am still learning to use my gps i have a GARMIN etrex vista i had it now a few weeks and every other morning when i am satting in the market cafe eating breskfast and drinking coffee and mess with it and i found thta it has a battery bar letting me know h0w much power that i have left that is a A-plus for me to know the power i have left,and also i did notice that upon turning it on this unit belongs to ///it shows blank how do i get my name on it or in it??/

That is one looooong sentence!!!

that reminds me of what probably was the oddest thing i've ever found. a small square on the ground with those illegal plants that obviously somebody had been growing there. the smell was in the air in the whole area.

i did find the cache though.

I found a 1949 truck in the middle of the woods. Almost good enough to restore. But it was on park property and you couldn't remove it without cutting down trees (the truck must have been sitting long enough for the trees to grow around it on all sides). Nearby was a 1970? Cutlass or Monte Carlo...I forget which) but it was upside down after being plowed over along with some old trailers that must have been taken over when the forum trailer residence was added into this park's property. There was a ton of 1970s toys, mostly all broken or heavily faded. I spent nearly three hours on a cold day exploring the site like a archeologist. The cache nearby had been muggled, and was a DNF for me and was archived after the fact.

On a cache that was a find, I also found not too far away, a taser cartridge from a taser gun. This was shortly after the police first got them issued and it was not possible for civilians to purchase them yet. In this case I was careful to pick it up and place it in a ziplock bag, just in case they needed to fingerprint it or whatever. I called the county police department and turned it into them.

I put my contact info on the welcome screen. I've lost my unit once and gotten it back because I did so.

Stuff I've found while caching? A football, a plastic cup good enough to keep, and some golf balls. I'm thinking about bringing a metal detector.

[/quote

any info ?/

never mind i figure it out

Edited by wilddav

When caching in Oregon along the side of a coastal highway, we found a huge amount of deer and elk bones that were either from a common place where hunters process the carcasses or where some huge carnivorous animal lives....I think it was the former rather than the later....a bit eerie nonetheless.

Let's see....

Found a matress behind a dumpster sitting next to some empty liquor bottles. I didn't spend long looking for that cache.

I found a frying pan, a pair of shoes, and some used TP next to the pile of human excremant that was about 5 feet from said frying pan. That one was also a quick leave.

One of my favorite caches here is called Circle of Stones. It's on top of a little hill and there's a little setup that looks like an old school camp ground/meeting place. Not unique to me, but interesting nonetheless...

Let's see....

Found a matress behind a dumpster sitting next to some empty liquor bottles. I didn't spend long looking for that cache.

I found a frying pan, a pair of shoes, and some used TP next to the pile of human excremant that was about 5 feet from said frying pan. That one was also a quick leave.

One of my favorite caches here is called Circle of Stones. It's on top of a little hill and there's a little setup that looks like an old school camp ground/meeting place. Not unique to me, but interesting nonetheless...

Get out of town!

Sorry J The Goat, Not sure I would want to catch those caches with you. Maybe if you find some without:

1) Human excrement

2) Dumpsters

3) Mattresses soiled with the recycled corn Licky on it

No really Get out of town! (find some caches a bit more remote LOL)

My son and I just started 'caching little over a week ago, and it was on our very first hunt that we stumbled upon something unusual. I'll just paste my log entries here:

March 11 by ebilflindas (13 found)

Looked for this one with my son. This was our first time out, and I didn't really know what we were looking for. We'll give it another go this weekend, but I wonder if something might've happened to it with some of the weather we had recently. Just wondering.

Funny thing, my son spotted a brown, plastic box down in the low-tide muck. He fetched it, and what was inside was a plastic bag secured with a twist-tie. I thought we might be in luck, but when I undid the tie, a bunch of sand poured out of the bag.

At this point, a lot of people I've told this story to already know where I'm going with it...

March 16 by ebilflindas (13 found)

This actually the 3rd time I've been to this location, only this time I did some CITO, figuring that if I still didn't find the cache, I'd at least leave the spot a little better than I found it. Well, still no love, cache-wise, but I did make a bit of a grim discovery, which solved what was a mystery to me. As I mentioned in my previous log, my son found found a brown, plastic box, about the size of a small cereal box, inside which was a plastic bag filled with what appeared to be sand and bits of 'shell'. As I continued my search today, I came across this same box and the pile of odd looking sand drying in the sun. Alongside the pile was a weathered piece of paper, which had been too soggy to unfold when we first found it, but was now dry enough to carefully peel open.

It was a crematory memorial record from a cemetery in Detroit; and it wasn't a bag of sand that we poured out and sifted through.

So now, what was a little mystery has become a bigger one.

What's funny/creepy/weird is that when we first found it, I joked with my son that we found Jacob's ashes, from the show LOST. Hmm.

I think I'm done with this cache. We might not have found it, but we did find *something*.

I'm not sure if I want to try to track down and contact the family, but it does have the ring of a This American Life story.

Edited by ebilflindas

Last year when we were doing a series through our downtown park (we live in a larger city) .....We had the whole family and walked right past a man doing blow on the park bench....Luckily my kids were clueless and the man was more starteled by us....than we of him!

Just yesterday we were in a local woods and came across a recently vacated homless hut! Looks like the hut had been there for awhile, but the towels blankets and hooch laying around seemed to indicate that the occupant had been there recently. No occupant present....thank goodness! Kinda freaky that outside the hut was a shot up old tin sign....FREAKY!!!! :)

I went looking for one behind a thrift store close to home. Apparently people thought the woods were the "donation drop off center" and there was TONS of random stuff, mostly old shoes and wet clothes... But i did find a really cool pair of "shutter shades" sunglasses, a nice laptop bag, and two electric razor scooters. The boyfriend is taking the scooters apart to either fix for some friends' kids, or salvage electronic parts. Hey, CITO!! :anicute:

DIDN'T find the cache though...rats!

Edited by smhs_05

instead of finding a cache today I found a Verizon Cell Phone (At the well known gay park here in Concord where there supposedly was a cache, never found it) sketchy sketchy phone, tried to find the owner then realized it was a dirty dirty piece of technology and my wife made me put it back after looking through the contacts to see "Big Boy" "Meat Man" and "Little Twinkie" ... called the one titled "Mother" and the picture of the contact came up... def not a Mother... disposed of the phone right here I found it... I am never going to that park to find that cache, If it's even still there

Day before that I found the remnants of a snowmobile chassis, burned sofa, ticks, 2 foxes, dollar bill, "Herbal" garden and a river that went astray of it's banks (My first day Caching, did manage to find 1 cache, out of the 20ish caches I searched for) From now on I bring a camera as well

Last Novembre I was on the way back from a cache to my car when I saw a red light shimmering through the woods about 10 meters off the hiking trail.

So, curious as I am, I walked abroad to have a look and what have I found?

It was a lamp, which is normally used to secure building sites on roads.

Similar to this one:

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/48/0...tellenlampe.jpg

I took it with me and left it in my car over night. The next day after work I brought it to the local lost and found office and when asked where I have found it, I said: "I was hiking through the forrest near..." and the young and attractive lady said. "Yeah, I know that cache, my husband and I have already found it." ;)

She had me there until she said husband :D

Have fun,

Markus

Let me think... in 2 years of caching I've logged some 621 caches, and found a few non cache items (as well as the caches)... only 2 were a "instead of" though... not counting the trash and people dumping garbage/crapping in the woods I have found:

- soccer ball

- Garmin GPS with cracked screen: posted on the Cache site of my find and found the owner and sent it to them: but it was too damaged (had gotten run over by a quad)... owner sent me a bottle of "thank You" wine.

- softball (instead of the cache)

- carpenter's hammer (instead of the cache)

- blue cooler with 2 unopened 2 L soda bottles and 3 cans of coca cola.

- My Little Pony toy (fell out of someone's car at a gran N go): added to the swag bag

- Rusty hand saw

- Blue tarps (on about 4 different occasions)

- a ladder (could not take it with me: car too small)

- Zippered cooler bag (empty)

- pickaxe (rusty and needed new handle)

Drove 50 miles to find our first Jeep TB a couple years ago, actually had to lock our Jeep in 4WD to climb the hill to the cache site searched for about 30 min with no cache to be found, HOWEVER we did find a working METH lab...

Edited by JJNAHANKS

Some one started leaving Crack bottles around one of my caches.

Had a report that there was a dead rabbit next to another one (right in the city also).

Found perscription drugs stuck into a tree where I thought we would find a Cache. Found a Container but not a cache LOL.

Many, many homeless camps. My kids got mad at one. They had JIF peanut butter and we buy no name brand.

Dirty underwear.

One cache is in a niebourhood. The house next to the field has a dog training setup. Have been there a few times as the cache was a TB hotel. Have had a chance to see the dogs being trained.

Well, basically, our GPS led us to a small copse not too far off of the trail, and it looked like the type of place a cache would be hidden. We found a scorched stretch of ground, several melted candles, and the remnants of what looked like some kind of wooden structure in an old oak tree. That kind of took us by surprise, but we kept looking. There was a lot of debris in the area, and a lot of potential hiding spots. We ended up finding a whole bunch of crap: a tin with plastic wrappings in it, a glove, a NIGHTGOWN. :unsure:

After a bit, we realized we weren't going to find the cache, and, being sufficiently unsettled, we high-tailed out of that park before the ghost of whatever hermit sorcerer that had performed their goat-sacrificing rituals there could curse us.

Went home, realized that we had entered the coords incorrectly, returned the next weekend, and found the cache with ease.

I found a 15inch monkey wrench in pursuit of a cache. Also, instead of a cache, I found a note on a trail behind a middle school that read, "Will you date my friend Stephen?" I found a homemade surveillance camera rigged behind some palmettos at the entrance of a gated community. Lastly, I found a bullet lodged in my left shoulder while looking for a cache around a park.

Only three of the four are true.

thats soooo funny. i just had to say that

I was out riding the trails on my mountain bike one day, and came upon an old campfire with lots of trash and debris around . I was excited to spot a red film canister that had great possibilities of being turned into a geo cache container! I stuck it in my bike pack and headed home. Once home, I opened it up to find a strange white powder within. "What is this?" I asked my husband- and he just gave his naive wife a look as it dawned on me what it was............. Good thing cops don't usually pull over and search mountain bikers!!!! :ph34r:

All sorts of things

• About $5 in Canadian Tire money in ditch (usually in 10c amounts)
  • A couple sunglasses
  • Various clothes some decent some that have a 50ft kill radius
  • a 22 pellet rifle
  • Blackberry (not the berry, the phone)
  • Sleds
  • 2 bikes
  • Some ancient Truck
  • An old auto graveyard. In the middle of nowhere
  • About $40 in cash (over time in small amounts usually)
  • Shovel
  • A complete animal carcass
  • Live shotgun and 22 shells
  • Numerous Wheels
  • Skateboard
  • Ancient bottles and metal artifacts
  • A complete Ghost town. (About 3 blocks by 3 blocks of old houses, trucks, sheds and everything. IN the woods. Completely abandoned)
  • Over my caching time over $500 worth in beer cans...
  • And so much more...