WTB Dakota, Oregon, or Colorado looking for great deal

jnovaco

Looking to upgrade and go paperless. Currently have a Venture HC and want an easier to use and eco friendlier receiver. We are only weekend warriors and not as dedicated as some of you better geocachers, so we are looking for a low priced used Dakota, Colorado, or Oregon unit around $150. If you have one or know of someone who does and it is in good working condition w/ manual and required hardware please contact us. Suggestions greatly accepted.

Looking to upgrade and go paperless. Currently have a Venture HC and want an easier to use and eco friendlier receiver. We are only weekend warriors and not as dedicated as some of you better geocachers, so we are looking for a low priced used Dakota, Colorado, or Oregon unit around $150. If you have one or know of someone who does and it is in good working condition w/ manual and required hardware please contact us. Suggestions greatly accepted.

I don't have any knowledge of the units you requested, but I just got a great deal ($109) on a magellan triton 400 at wal-mart. I think the 400's have been discontinued. It's my understanding that you can paperless cache with one. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shortly. The base map isn't very detailed but it's got an sd slot for more detailed maps if you would like to purchase them. I don't think from what I've read that you can use the sd for anything but maps which is a bummer, but you can connect the unit directly to the pc and using the supplied software you can download the cache files. Another member who knows more about them can chime in. The only downsides I've noticed on mine so far are the battery life and the backlight has to be on day or night to see. But really for the price you can get a basic etrex for most places, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I don't have any knowledge of the units you requested, but I just got a great deal ($109) on a magellan triton 400 at wal-mart. I think the 400's have been discontinued. It's my understanding that you can paperless cache with one. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shortly. The base map isn't very detailed but it's got an sd slot for more detailed maps if you would like to purchase them. I don't think from what I've read that you can use the sd for anything but maps which is a bummer, but you can connect the unit directly to the pc and using the supplied software you can download the cache files. Another member who knows more about them can chime in. The only downsides I've noticed on mine so far are the battery life and the backlight has to be on day or night to see. But really for the price you can get a basic etrex for most places, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I just purchased a Dakota 20- should be delivered Friday. For me it was between the Oregon 300, the Colorado 300 and the Dakota 20.

Even though the Oregon 300 has better resolution on the screen, the Dakota 20 has the compensated 3-axis compass. We purchased ours through "The GPS Store" online. I got mine for 309.00 + 9.95 for 2 day(list price from Garmin is 399.00) delivery. Even though you are a weekend warrior, get the best unit you can afford to avoid outgrowing too quickly.

It is very doubtful that you will find any of those 3 for 150.00. Even a used machine will run 250.00

Try checking craigs list and perhaps E-bay.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Thank you Colleen.

You information was very helpful. I had not realized the improved resolution between the units you pointed out. Also you comment about getting the best you can afford is a good suggestion. Who knows if I did settle for something less like I did with what we have, I might be looking to upgrade again because of outgrowing the unit.

I know trying to find a complete unit for $150.00 is a far stretch but I figured I would give it a try. Thought I might catch someone who received one as a gift and just wants to sell it off. I also figured the units are too new for them to sell at such a low de-valued cost. Guess the Garmin's are a great unit; I don't see too many for sale except the lower end units which I did get originally.

You may think this is funny but I run a GPS equipment site. It's allurgpssupplies.com. While I could get a decent discount, I was not trusting that I would like the unit. Thus my reason for trying to pick up a less expensive used device.

Jim

Jim,

Who knows-you may find someone that has an extra to sell or otherwise fall into a great deal. If you have the time, continue to shop around. If you have any plans to play the game Wherigo, you will need the oregon 300. The Dakota 20 does not have this capeability.

Everyone I have talked to had been upgrading from the lower end units to the higher end to take advantage of that paperless feature. I will let you know how it works after Sunday. We are going to KC from Wichita, Kanas and plan to GC on the way and on the way home- I loaded 40 possible caches to work on.

The Dakota was super simple to set up and get info to download, once you get the garmin communicator plug in installed on your computer.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

I want to make sure I thank Forleist, bad4u, DG, and doug. You input has been helpful and I appreciate the time you took to respond. I did not know about that little tidbit regarding the Wherigo game. Fortunately I am in no hurry at the moment. My Venture HC is still working great, but I just hate killing trees and we do not have web access on a cell phone.

It was one year ago yesterday (Groundhog's Day) that my company downsized, eliminating my position and letting me go. I am still unemployed (thank you Mr. Bush) so you can understand why I am not in a hurry and waiting for a sweet deal.

I know those who replied may not get an email notice that I posted this message but again thank you. If you do hear or see anything listed shoot me a link.

Been using an eTrex Legend for caching until my dog used it for a chew toy. My F-n-Law and wife bought me a gpsr from MegaGPS.com - Oregon 400t refurbished for $289. Been using it for a week and the paperless feature is great. As mentioned above, don't settle on a lesser unit. Invest in the most top of the line you can afford. Haven't tried the Wherigo game, but the 400t has the capabilities.

Thanks for the input and review. As you said at this point in the game, don't settle for less if you can afford it. I did a comparison on the Garmin site and it is funny how there is little to no difference that I could see between the Oregon 400 and the higher model Oregons or Colorados other than price. So I would guess if you were to go with a 400 you are going to payless and get a lot.

Hello! I am a GeoCaching newbie, have only found a 1/2 dozen so far. But, my family love to search for caches!

I just found an Oregon 300 brand new in box at an LL Bean store very reasonably. They are having a 50% off sale at the stores only and I bought mine for $150 plus tax.

Check it out and maybe call around to locate a store near you. Good Luck!

Cat

Hello! I am a GeoCaching newbie, have only found a 1/2 dozen so far. But, my family love to search for caches!

I just found an Oregon 300 brand new in box at an LL Bean store very reasonably. They are having a 50% off sale at the stores only and I bought mine for $150 plus tax.

Check it out and maybe call around to locate a store near you. Good Luck!

Cat

Thanks for the LL Bean advice. I ordered a Garmin Oregon 400T today for 239.00 shipped thanks for leading me to a great deal. I believe the Skokie Ill stores has a few left of the 30o and 400.

Once again thanks for posting and sharing the deal.

BillMc

Bummer, wish I had seen this earlier. Just checked with them and they say they are all sold out.

I had to call the individual stores. When I talked to someone at the main call center they led me to believe there was several units at the Skokie Ill store. You might call that store direct. It was a great deal 50% off and I think it was a littlemore then that off. Shipping and handling was very reasonable.

BillMc

billmc40 thanks for the info. Got the last one from Skokie. He asked me to tell everyone the sale ended yesterday but they still honored the price for a couple of hours this morning.

Dale and Barb you are welcome. Now I fell I gave a wee bit back to the board. I think you must tell us all which unit you got. I hope you got the same great deal as I feel I did.

BillMc

I got the 300. I called the VA location and they had both the 300 and 400 but would not honor the 50% off sale. They said that the gps units were not part of that special. I tried to explain the other stores were doing it but the Manager would not budge. Oh well, I am happy to get at least one of these units.