Group coin for GeoWoostock?

Suzyfishn

Was wondering if any of the coin gurus out there are doing any group coin projects for this year's Geowoodstock (which I'm attending for the first time...yahoo!!)

I've participated in other group coins as it's a less expensive way to get a "quasi" personal coin!

Loved the GW teddy bears from a few years ago (even though I didn't participate in those, I know others who did).

And since it's the 10th year for geocaching, I think a lot of people would be interested.

Check this thread.

Edit to add: Oct 18th 2009 was the last day to submit a design idea, so this coin is probably already in production. They were thinking ahead.

Oh and there is definitely a cow theme, the geocaching name of "COWWS" is making the coin.

Isn't that thread for the event coin?

I think these folks are wanting to do a group coin that they can personalize.

The more the merrier! That coin is a group collaborative, with people submitting ideas, so I thought it was relevant.

Check this thread.

Edit to add: Oct 18th 2009 was the last day to submit a design idea, so this coin is probably already in production. They were thinking ahead.

Oh and there is definitely a cow theme, the geocaching name of "COWWS" is making the coin.

Isn't that thread for the event coin?

I think these folks are wanting to do a group coin that they can personalize.

The more the merrier! That coin is a group collaborative, with people submitting ideas, so I thought it was relevant.

That would be true, but the art is already done in that thread and the vendor selected. So that design is "over". Just hasn't been an update to it to let everyone know.

I saw that other thread, but that was for the official coin. I'm thinking about a group coin, like the GWVI bears, that would use a common design, but allow people to choose their colors...

This is what I was asking... I think almost ALL the GW events had some sort of "mini" group coin (teddy bear, california bear, a sun, etc) where you could order a minimum (usually 50), got to choose your own colors, etc. They usually aren't trackable, but could be personalized with your name and often a set of numbers (for your own track-keeping I guess). The midwest geobash also has done mintings of group coins (ducks, parrot, etc). I have a few of those in my collection.

I believe someone by the name of ParentsOfSam used to organize these things, but maybe they aren't doing it anymore. I know Hogwild has done group mintings.

Who did the GeoJellies? Those were cute group projects. And there are others I can't think of.

Perhaps one of you coin gurus/minters out there would like to get something started. You could have it that we pick up the coins at the event itself if you're going to be there, too. Save on postage.

Well, they've always been non trackable to keep the costs down. And don't forget to shop your quotes around, since you'll get drastically different prices at various places.

They are sometimes done at different mints too. What were you thinking as a theme for the Pacific Northwest?

Avroair's coffee cup idea is cute! Isn't Washington where Starbucks got it's start?

And a cup would look good as a small coin.

What I would fear with the cow is that the details will be lost. And the cow doesn't really have much to do with the event except that the "COWWS" group is hosting it. Otherwise, the design could be almost anything.

Perhaps a coffee cup with the shape of the state of WA and the NSEW compass or generic geo logo. Could pick cup and colors of the state. Simple, clean. And put a spot on the back for the cacher's name.

A small coin in the shape of the Space Needle would also be cool.

And I would vote for non-trackable to keep costs low as possible. Some group coins have offered generic numbering for general "tracking" by the owner. It would just be imprinted as part of the cacher's name ie: Suzyfishn01, Suzyfishn02, etc. I did that with a previous group coin so I could write down and keep track of who I gave them to.

Geeze...hate it when I think of more stuff to write after posting a reply!

Let's not forget this is the 10 year anniversary for geocaching! We could play on that theme as well.

And someone earlier mentioned the coins can't have the words "Geowoodstock" or GW8 on it? Can we confirm this for sure. I could understand GC owning the term "Geowoodstock," but all the mini group coins I've seen have had the GW reference and the number of the event.

i like it except for the udders. it would be better if the cow/cattle were not so gender specific.

rsg

What do you mean? All cows have udders... if they didn't then they would be bulls. :o:ph34r::D

Cow, Coffee Cup, Salmon, Raindrop, GeoDuck... :D

all cattle to not have udders or balls. there are some called "steers"

at least the udders doesn't have to be so big. ;-)

Well, with only a handful of folks who have posted saying they are interested in a group coin, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Most minters will want a certain number of participants to have this project fly .... :D

Where are all the minters who have done other group coins? No one has spoken up except Cache Addict.

I even played with a design - playing off Moozer's cow theme. I think it would be easier to mint. Perhaps about the size of a quarter, with the cacher picking cow colors for body & spots. Base metal silver? gold?

4325560137_f963bedd07_o.jpg

Well, with only a handful of folks who have posted saying they are interested in a group coin, I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Most minters will want a certain number of participants to have this project fly .... :D

Where are all the minters who have done other group coins? No one has spoken up except Cache Addict.

I even played with a design - playing off Moozer's cow theme. I think it would be easier to mint. Perhaps about the size of a quarter, with the cacher picking cow colors for body & spots. Base metal silver? gold?

4325560137_f963bedd07_o.jpg

these are cute, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. could be the economy. no one wants to invest $$.

I think the interest is low because there is another non-trackable item you can get. The trading of these items at GW and GCF was fast and furious.

I like that item better because I can have one that fits my personality. The price is pretty good too!

cheap enough to get 2 or 3 if you choose to ...for those special trades! :D

I think the interest is low because there is another non-trackable item you can get. The trading of these items at GW and GCF was fast and furious.

I like that item better because I can have one that fits my personality. The price is pretty good too!

Haven't heard of another non-trackable item ? who has them/where do you get them? I'd be happy to join in. :D

Haven't heard of another non-trackable item ? who has them/where do you get them? I'd be happy to join in. :D

I'll send you an email through your profile.

i was wondering the same thing. or is this an exclusive sort of thing?

rsg

Haven't heard of another non-trackable item ? who has them/where do you get them? I'd be happy to join in. :blink:

i was wondering the same thing. or is this an exclusive sort of thing?

rsg

MAY we ALL know. as I really think it would be nice to have SOMETHING for this Great event !

I'd still love to see something, either my or the other cow design, but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to make it happen :)

I think I'll contact a minter I worked with recently and see if they are up to doing this! And if we have enough time.

Hopefully there will be enough folks out there who will want to participate. Last time I did a group coin (untrackable, of course), I was able to get 50 coins for under $100, which I think most will be able to afford. And they are inexpensive enough that you won't feel bad about trading among other cachers.

True, they are not as customizable as those "non-geocoin" items you can have made, but group coins are often to be more commemorative to an actual event, such as GW8.

I'd still love to see something, either my or the other cow design, but there doesn't seem to be enough interest to make it happen :)

I think I'll contact a minter I worked with recently and see if they are up to doing this! And if we have enough time.

Hopefully there will be enough folks out there who will want to participate. Last time I did a group coin (untrackable, of course), I was able to get 50 coins for under $100, which I think most will be able to afford. And they are inexpensive enough that you won't feel bad about trading among other cachers.

True, they are not as customizable as those "non-geocoin" items you can have made, but group coins are often to be more commemorative to an actual event, such as GW8.

I WOULD BE IN ! ! !