Piraeus, Greece & Izmir, Turkey & Alexandria, Egypt

beenhere

I will be in these locations in March and can not find any caches that are easy to get to in the port area, or even close by. Are there any cachers in these cities that could help fellow cachers out by placing a few nearby caches. Earthcaches would be great and do not require much work. I realy want to add these countries to my cached in list.

Thanks for the help!

an earth cache in the port area of pireas :-) that would be a challenge to come up with. there is a traditional there, shouldn't take more than half an hour on foot to get there, if my estimate of the port area is correct.

That cache is one that I am watching but the last two logs are DNF, and one group had six people looking for it. I will find some caches in Athens but it would be nice to have something right near the port for other cachers.

I know this has elements of no no, but are you traveling with anyone who could place a cache for future travelers to find and upkeep if needed? Something very tiny and tucked away that wouldn't turn into geo-litter?

an earth cache in the port area of pireas :-) that would be a challenge to come up with. there is a traditional there, shouldn't take more than half an hour on foot to get there, if my estimate of the port area is correct.

That cache is one that I am watching but the last two logs are DNF, and one group had six people looking for it. I will find some caches in Athens but it would be nice to have something right near the port for other cachers.

Of course, it would be nice to have a cache that's a quick walk from your planned travel route but in a lot of very cache sparse countries finding just one cache in the country might require a significantly greater amount of effort than you're expending locally. I have been to two counties in Africa (Zambia and Ethiopia) when I was within a few thousand feet of a cache but didn't get the opportunity to find it. I probably could have added France to my list of countries when I had a layover at CDG but didn't want to risk going for it and missing my flight home. I hope to add France during a business trip there in April though. For the one in Zambia, I decided to cross the border into Zimbabwe instead (which including paying about $40 for a daily Visa) to get a better view of Victoria Falls and was able to get the cache nearby.

It looks like all three places you mention have caches within a couple of miles of the port that are either currently disabled or likely missing. You might try contacting the CO for them to see if they plan on checking on them and enabling them before you arrive. Although I generally don't condone "throw down caches" (the practice of failing to find a cache, then dropping your own container and logging it as a find) but you could ask the CO on those caches if they'd like replace (and log) the container while you're there. All the CO could say is no.

It looks like all three places you mention have caches within a couple of miles of the port that are either currently disabled or likely missing. You might try contacting the CO for them to see if they plan on checking on them and enabling them before you arrive. Although I generally don't condone "throw down caches" (the practice of failing to find a cache, then dropping your own container and logging it as a find) but you could ask the CO on those caches if they'd like replace (and log) the container while you're there. All the CO could say is no.

This is a good idea and one that I already tried. The results were mixed but hopeful. Two COs said that they might get their caches back up and one liked the idea of placeing a cache near the port. Turkey is the only country I may have trouble with, plenty of caches, just not where I will be able to get too. One CO there said I could set up a cache that they will take care of so that may be something to try. That would give other cachers something they can grab close by. B)