Who's Watching?

SamSpade47

I wish you could see who's watching also, but unless it has changed, it is impossible. If you really wanted to, you could post a note on cache saying "if you're watching this listing can you e-mail me", but thats pretty unreliable.

If it's a "premium member only" cache, you can view who clicks on your cache page and how many times they "hit" it, but I'm not totally clear on that, since all my caches are free.

For privacy reasons?!?

If I'm the CO I can't see how it's anyone's right to privacy for watching my cache.

If I'm not then it shouldn't be my concern, though we do have a number of caches being adopted around here and it would be easy to find who is keeping tabs on the caches were it possible. Mixed bag there.

There seems to be a way for premium members to watch a cache without appearing in the watchers count.

You can add a cache to a bookmark, and then check "Notify me when items on this list are logged". If it works as expected, that's one way of stealthily watching a cache.

Doesn't answer the OP's question, but gives the watchers some privacy.

There seems to be a way for premium members to watch a cache without appearing in the watchers count.

You can add a cache to a bookmark, and then check "Notify me when items on this list are logged". If it works as expected, that's one way of stealthily watching a cache.

Doesn't answer the OP's question, but gives the watchers some privacy.

OK now I am even more paranoid. Everytime I look at my GPS, the satelites know exactly where I am. Now people know who is finding what I hid.

OK now I am even more paranoid. Everytime I look at my GPS, the satelites know exactly where I am. Now people know who is finding what I hid.

You do know that by logging geocaches, you're essentially helping them track your whereabouts, right? That's why I logged my 1,527 armchair virtuals and 3,328 geocaches I did not actually find - just to muddy the trail.

You do know that by logging geocaches, you're essentially helping them track your whereabouts, right? That's why I logged my 1,527 armchair virtuals and 3,328 geocaches I did not actually find - just to muddy the trail.

When you register your GPS, they know who you are and where you live. Then they follow your signal wherever you go. They've equipped the satelites with high powered laser beams so be careful. I heard they have equipped all Walmarts with GPS proximity readers and keep track of your movements indoors as well. Just a minute my tinfoil hat needs adjusting. I hear someone upstairs in the basement, gotta go, I hope this message gets throu.......................................

In all seriousness, I am watching a few other cacaches. A couple I am watching is because they were really interesting hides and I like to see other people thought on their experience. A couple of othere were DNF and I want to see if it is still there and maybe get a few clues for next time I try to find it.

Take it as a compliment.

I see by your user name, you like to do the detective work

Edited by 42at42

I make sure that I find and log caches outside my local area. My geocaching centroid is over 100 miles away from where I live.

I make sure that I find and log caches outside my local area. My geocaching centroid is over 100 miles away from where I live.

Mine, too. The Cagey Bee is probably at this very moment descending upon a farm house outside Merced, California. I do apologise to the occupant(s) of that dwelling as they likely had no knowledge of my activities. :)

On another tack ...

anatidaephobia.png

This comes up often. Now there is a Knowledgebase article about it, Watchlist Identity.

I did not know that one was in the knowledgebase, thanks. Interesting (to me at least), how "they" think that's a privacy issue, but not the audit log on MOC's.

Speaking of black helicopters, Geocachers in my area (including me) have noticed them flying over local parks the last few weeks. It's said it's just police training, but I ain't buying it. :)

My encounter with the black helicopter

More disturbing than that: I recently stopped for a roadside cache. As I signed the log, a car drove slowly by and parked further down the road. I walked back to my vehicle, keeping watch out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, a suspicious gentleman got out and walked directly to the cache. I went back to confront him. He looked up and addressed me by my username! I was dumbfounded! Do they know EVERYTHING???

"How on earth did you know my name?"

"Because you wrote it in this log book a few minutes ago."

"Oh."

Because the audit log is a joke.

OK... you'd also better start keeping an eye on the sky, buddy. The black helicopters are headed your way!!

Their mind-waves will never penetrate my tin-foil hat!

tinfoilhat31436988.jpg

Ha!!! You seriously believe that can save you? Forum guidelines prevent me from saying what I really think, but perhaps this can give the more gullible amongst you some idea of the futiltiy of aluminum helmets (or, aluminium, in case you happen to be one of our spelling and pronunciationally challenged brethren from the southern half of the "other" hemisphere):

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study

"Checking the power lines" <snortle!!!> Yeah... I'm SURE that's what they were doing :D:D:blink::rolleyes::P<_< Checking the power lines from a black helicopter. Boy, they sure saw YOU coming from a long way off, didn't they? Wanna buy an aluminum foil hat, perhaps? :rolleyes::blink::blink:

(checking the powerlines... sheesh!)

No black helicopters today but I did find a cache in a powerline ROW and 2 F-16's went roaring overhead.

South of K-Falls Oregon near Kingsley Field. Don't forget, it's the Air Force that's in charge of those sats.