Heart rate monitor for Oregon 300?

wahoowad

Thanks for the links, folks. I know absolutely nothing about heart rate monitors other than you can use them to determine calories burned. I did not realize they had to be worn around your chest. I would use mine at work when I take breaks and go for fitness walks. I would not want to wear it under my shirt all day, and taking the time to go into the restroom, remove shirt, strap it on, and put my shirt back on would be cumbersome. Are there any heartrate monitors that strap to a wrist? I am naive and thought that was how they all worked for some reason.

If you do walks it's very easy 400-500 cal max max an hour, you don't need a heartrate monitor for that.

Maybe some work on your wrist I don't really know, but the leading brands are all chest.

Also, if you are on a very dry place, you really have to move\sweat else the strap gets dry and it stops transmitting data.

I have some interesting walks around work, some more strenuous than others. I choose the one I want depending on how many calories I need to burn that day as well as the time and interest factor. Some involve a good number of stairs, others up and down hills. Most are not flat ground so my heartrate fluctuates. Wouldn't my weight and fitness level also dictate the rate at which I burn? I thought a monitor would help over estimating. I just thought it would be fun to see what the heartrate monitor says.

I have some interesting walks around work, some more strenuous than others. I choose the one I want depending on how many calories I need to burn that day as well as the time and interest factor. Some involve a good number of stairs, others up and down hills. Most are not flat ground so my heartrate fluctuates. Wouldn't my weight and fitness level also dictate the rate at which I burn? I thought a monitor would help over estimating. I just thought it would be fun to see what the heartrate monitor says.

You're right - it is fun to keep track of this kind of info, then see it through Garmin Connect, etc.

IF you mean walking and you are healthy the rate won't be more then 115, you don't need a monitor for this, just feel your wrist for 15 seconds and you know the rate.

Your weight is a minor factor, if you are to heavy you can't go fast.

If you use the program I said before, you fill in all the data like age weight , this together with the gps track gives a good picture of your training. They have plugins, one is for calories.

A lot of my walks are inside and I do not get a GPS signal. I work for an organization with a massive sprawling facility and I have some pretty lengthy routes inside, especially when I go up a few flights of stairs and walk back the way I came, just on a different floor. Also incorporate parking garages where I can walk a lot of laps going up the rampways and also the stairwells. I have tried to estimate the distances and stuff but thought a monitor would be pretty accurate.

To burn calories while walking you have to walk fast, so the real calories might be burnt on the stairs then, try to climb at least 4 floors at a time.

Read these and find the 220-age rule as a start.

http://www.polar.fi/en/training_with_polar...cles/get_active

http://www.polar.fi/en/training_with_polar...imum_heart_rate

also, calorie calc

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Not sure where you live, see fry's, else they will have it at home.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=reg...&submit.y=0

Edited by splashy