Microfest 2010

dakardrix

Took us some time to spot the ladder!!!!

B);)

Tx, Drix

Cool, the memory stick has been found!

A few FTF's are still up for grabs, and I enjoy the logs coming through! :) The funniest logs are a toss-up between besem, Danie Viljoen, DamhuisClan and Team Ginger... :P

I think the favourite is possibly Juxtaposition (shared by Bruce and I), Hades is an interesting one, Rietvlei View II is most confusing.

Country Lane Scramble has been a surprise challenge for most (not sure why when we say do 'this' and people do 'that' to make it more difficult for themselves :P:P ), Monks of Capuchino the easiest and Members Only and Overhang competing to be the most elusive.

No comments on Frustration - think I have to rename that one to Ginger Frustration... :blink:

But it seems like the most entertaining one was Out of the Box. At first I thought the logs were joking when the 3 Muscateers (Jors, Wormgeocash and besem - the winners on the day) mentioned a ladder that Jacques brought along. But no, very serious. Until I saw this pic and nearly fell on the floor laughing out loud B)B):lol: ....

55c419a8-2fee-4190-adea-52ee89ccc8c6.jpg

But it seems like the most entertaining one was Out of the Box. At first I thought the logs were joking when the 3 Muscateers (Jors, Wormgeocash and besem - the winners on the day) mentioned a ladder that Jacques brought along. But no, very serious. Until I saw this pic and nearly fell on the floor laughing out loud :blink::P:P ....

The ladder didn't help on this occasion but it cam in very handy on two others though !

But it seems like the most entertaining one was Out of the Box. At first I thought the logs were joking when the 3 Muscateers (Jors, Wormgeocash and besem - the winners on the day) mentioned a ladder that Jacques brought along. But no, very serious. Until I saw this pic and nearly fell on the floor laughing out loud :blink::P:P ....

-------------------------------------------------

The ladder didn't help on this occasion but it cam in very handy on two others though !

True, we used the bike for those... ;)

Hope tomorrow to go and replace the 3 caches that have been muggled before the event. Not bad out of 85 (and I have to go and change the one that has not been published - Crater Top)

Already started thinking about Microfest 2011.

The idea so far - same time of year, just before Easter weekend. 2 days - starting the Friday (or Saturday) afternoon with the first event - night caching! Will take this year to figure out where to plant safe night-friendly caches... Then the next day we have the BIG HUNT again! :laughing:<_<

Can't wait!

Already started thinking about Microfest 2011.

Can't wait!

What is the weather like in the Bahamas at that time of year or anywhere else far away for that matter? :laughing:

Seriously, I'm in if you want my help again - even if it is to play court jester and keep you amused.

When do we start? <_<

Eish, and I haven't caught up on the sleep yet! Our memories are short, remembering the effort... guess the reward was bigger than expected.

...I've thought some more... I think we'll start with an extreme cache, say the afternoon before the night caching. So we'll prepare the extreme cache, or two, publish it in the morning, have an event at it the afternoon and then have equipment and assistance there for everyone who wants to do it. From there it's into the dark....

- pointless unless you are desperate.

How desperate must one be? Doing the rudimentary mathematics, if they were placed at exactly 160m apart, that means you would have to cover 80km just to collect 500 of them and as you say there are close to 600 now. Where do you stop? It just makes a mockery of the whole concept of geocaching. How different can they all be? How do you make an intelligent log after the third one let alone the one hundred and third one? :D

OK Drix, this was a bad idea for next year. We shall have to do it the hard way. :D Play it again Sam.. :)B) !

Can you imagine 500 plus FTF's in one day. If I recall correctly that chain is almost 600 long and there are several smaller ones in the area. What a headache for their reviewer. To me it is kind of like fishing with hand grenades - pointless unless you are desperate.

Hope nobody in the Western Cape decides that we need a plague of micros.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of anyone who dares!! :P

Those micros are not going to be micros for very long. The micros will be replaced with regular size containers. The object of the microfest was who ever entered the microfest had to donate a regular container that would be used to replace the micros after the event.

So in the end it would be more regular sized containers :P

Those micros are not going to be micros for very long. The micros will be replaced with regular size containers. The object of the microfest was who ever entered the microfest had to donate a regular container that would be used to replace the micros after the event.

So in the end it would be more regular sized containers :P

GREAT!! :D

So in the end it would be more regular sized containers :D

GREAT!! :)

Funny part was that we found our own container the past weekend that we donated!!

:P

I still get the idea that some people (who weren't there) think we planted a bunch of senseless micros and that that was what the event was all about - chasing numbers.

From those who were there - please help me so that I will not do that (again?) for Microfest 2011: is that the way you experienced it?

I still get the idea that some people (who weren't there) think we planted a bunch of senseless micros and that that was what the event was all about - chasing numbers.

From those who were there - please help me so that I will not do that (again?) for Microfest 2011: is that the way you experienced it?

Quick answer to your question Drix.....hell no, that is definitely NOT how we experienced the event and judging by what other cachers were saying on the day, they thoroughly enjoyed the day and all of the caches. The event was an absolute blast, extremely well organised and certainly in keeping with the name of the event....MICROFEST. There wasn't a single cache that was a simple "tossed into a tree and the co-ords taken" kind of cache. And even if the container was a micro....er....going by the name given to the event, that's exactly what everyone expected. The bonus now is that some of the caches will (or have already been) replaced with the donated caches. The effort that you and Bruce went to for every single cache was certainly appreciated by every person that was there on the day. You've set the bar very high with this year's event and we cannot wait for next year's!!!

For all the philistines out there who still may be skeptical at what was achieved in the whole exercise, I challenge you to go and read through the logs of the MF-caches. To me, that has been a source of inspiration and an encouragement to continue to plan 2011. There has been a good uptake on the caches with generally very favourable logs. Even when people have logged DNFs they went back again to find them another day. That to me, speaks volumes. It was not just a case of another micro, let's ignore it.

To those who have attempted the more difficult ones, thank you. I am sure you got a sense of achievement once you had placed your mark on the log. It was not just another number, I hope, but it was a personal challenge and accomplishment.

To the statisticians out there I would love to get a breakdown out of the 85 caches, which were the most popular, had the most finds, DNFs v difficulty etc. The possibilities are endless but interesting non the less.

Can you imagine 500 plus FTF's in one day. If I recall correctly that chain is almost 600 long and there are several smaller ones in the area. What a headache for their reviewer. To me it is kind of like fishing with hand grenades - pointless unless you are desperate.

Hope nobody in the Western Cape decides that we need a plague of micros.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of anyone who dares!! ;)

Well CnC, that would be the Western Cape's LOSS for sure! This Event and the caches were NOTHING like you or anyone else thinks. Every single cache we did was good fun, interesting, challenging and showed us an interesting spot. It wasn't about the numbers, hell we even forgot about noting one of our finds and completely forgot about getting points for our TB Racer. It was all about the enjoyment of this hobby that we have come to love called Geocaching. The point of this huge effort by Drix and BruceTP was to get a geocacher out and caching. That is what it is about. I don't mind Micros, especially if I find one in a beautiful or interesting place. Also, many of the places would not be able to accommodate a larger cache, even if we wanted it to. I think one needs to remember that the Cape is very different to old Crime H/Q, so micros are often our only choice for a cache. Of course I do agree that if a larger cache size can be placed then it should. And like HHSA has pointed out, that is exactly what Drix is busy doing - replacing a film cartridge with a larger counterpart, as we all donated larger sized caches. Another thing to note is that the cache size in GS indicates a Micro as being as big as a 250ml tub!! That isn't a micro to me!! And if you ever get to GP and have the privilege of finding any of the Microfest caches, you'll see that many of them aren't as "micro" as you expect!

Like my wise Dad always reminds me "Be careful what you say today because tomorrow you'll be cutting your tongue!". ;) (I mean this in a nice way - not being nasty!)

Edited by GEO936

Perhaps the point was missed here.

As Geo936 pointed out circumstances are very different in the Western Cape as we have many places to hide traditional caches safely.

The log was written not to slate the Microfest but in the hope that anybody in the Western Cape reading this thread would not rush out and place a scourge of micros.

We had a case last year of many micros being placed by a fairly new and inexperienced cacher on several koppies not far from Cape Town. (A trip of over 100kms one way.)

It was very frustrating after doing fairly strenunous climbs to look for micros in Karoo bossies that were at 'knee height'! Have you any idea how many Karoo bushes are knee high!

The point of the log was in the hope that inexperienced cachers would not rush out after seeing that so many micros were placed in Gauteng over one weekend (without realising what it was all about) and feel they needed to rush out and do the same.

Edited by cownchicken

I agree with you - it would really irritate us if we had to go to a lot of effort for a micro. We had a similar case here - some of the most difficult mysteries with the cache being a micro - film cartridge - in a place which could handle a larger cache size! grrrr

I understand your point of someone going out to plant a whole bunch of micros, but hopefully if that person is from the western cape and knows a little something, they could plant 85 REGULARS in an area for you to enjoy over a weekend! :D

Took us some time to spot the ladder!!!!

:D:P

But it seems like the most entertaining one was Out of the Box. At first I thought the logs were joking when the 3 Muscateers (Jors, Wormgeocash and besem - the winners on the day) mentioned a ladder that Jacques brought along. But no, very serious. Until I saw this pic and nearly fell on the floor laughing out loud :D:P:lol: ....

55c419a8-2fee-4190-adea-52ee89ccc8c6.jpg

After seeing how high this one was when trying to climb it in the rain we decided to come back another time and to come prepared!!!!!!

SA400006.jpg

Hehe, now THAT is a ladder! Funny how people suddenly carry ladders with them... even the new ROTSIP... :P

I wonder who will get all 85 Microfest 2010 caches first? Wormgeocash and Happy Hunters SA are getting close... I'll throw in a geocoin for the first team who manages it! (don't need to have attended the event) :D

Let me know when you've done it so I can check, I might miss it...

Mmm, just got a sort of Tonteldoos idea... I'll plant a special mystery cache that can only be done by those who found all 85! So you have to submit all the keywords or go back now and find them again... (haha, no, not needed!)

Up to this last weekend there have been a total of 1243 logs, 1055 finds and 52 DNFs for the 85 Microfest caches. This means on average 12.4 finds per cache.

The five most popular Microfest caches are:

1. GC25FFX MF2010 The Monks of Capuchino: 26 finds

2. GC25EB2 MF2010 Chinese School: 24 finds

3. GC25JBR MF2010 Lions Outside: 24 finds

4. GC25JNQ MF2010 Park Elardus: 24 finds

5. GC25EB9 MF2010 Tower Tree: 22 finds

The five with the fewest finds are:

GC25HAX MF2010 Wall-E: 1 find

GC25GJK MF2010 Kosmos Vista: 1 find

GC25EB5 MF2010 Mother Tree: 1 find

GC25GJ5 MF2010 Forecast :2 finds

GC260FN MF2010 Crater Top: 3 finds

And lastly the caches with the most DNFs are:

1. GC25HB9 MF2010 I Hate Micros: 5

2. GC25EBN MF2010 Garstkloof II: 5

3. GC25GKX MF2010 Frustration: 4

4. GC25CPT MF2010 The Oval: 3

5. GC25FQD MF2010 Members Only: 3

6. GC25G1W MF2010 Out of the Box: 3

Edited by Danie Viljoen

Are you thinking of completing the MF2010 caches, with a one or two other teams, but not sure who did what, and now want to create a simple list?

Using SQLite you can use this query:

Select Name, Code,

DLogs.lType as DamhuisFound,

GLogs.lType as GoldDiggersFound,

WLogs.lType as WildbirdsFound

from Caches

left outer join Logs as DLogs

On Caches.Code = DLogs.lParent

and DLogs.lBy = 'DamhuisClan'

and DLogs.lType = 'Found it'

left outer join Logs as GLogs

On Caches.Code = GLogs.lParent

and GLogs.lBy = 'The Gold Diggers'

and GLogs.lType = 'Found it'

left outer join Logs as WLogs

On Caches.Code = WLogs.lParent

and WLogs.lBy = 'Wildbirds'

and WLogs.lType = 'Found it'

where Caches.Name like 'MF2010%'

order by Name ASC

Just replace 'DamhuisClan' / 'Wildbirds' / 'The Gold Diggers' with your team names.

This runs straight off the GSAK database, so no need to export.

Wormgeocash - 85! B):P;)

Winning the geocoin, will hand over at appropriate get together (one benefit of having all these events these days!)

...just give me a little time to place the final cache that can only be logged by those having done all 85...

Wormgeocache was presented with the award at the "Youth Goals in Moreleta Kloof !" (GC28QWX) event on 16 June.

474833a8-a56d-4583-b8bc-e748721abdf2.jpg

Congratulations once again from Drix and me.