Microfest 2010

dakardrix

Hells Bells!!! Seems like this is going to be the EVENT of the year!! We have arranged a babysitter (not my sister) for the WHOLE day, which means Rolf and I are in - 100%. We will be taking our bike in for a service, and will get geared to spend the day on our bike. We haven't been able to ride together since I fell pregnant with Nadia just over 4 years ago! So this one is going to be an absolute treat for us!! We are so looking forward to it. Just a pity we won't be able to carry a ladder with us on the bike!! <_<

Hells Bells!!! Seems like this is going to be the EVENT of the year!! We have arranged a babysitter (not my sister) for the WHOLE day, which means Rolf and I are in - 100%. We will be taking our bike in for a service, and will get geared to spend the day on our bike. We haven't been able to ride together since I fell pregnant with Nadia just over 4 years ago! So this one is going to be an absolute treat for us!! We are so looking forward to it. Just a pity we won't be able to carry a ladder with us on the bike!! :)

Jippiee! So there will be 12 people now :huh:

Nothing like a good reason to ride bike again! Amazing how well the bike works as a ladder when you park it correctly...

Make sure you take enough fluids.. The morning should be cool, but by 12 you will be quite heated up on the bike after all the activity, and Pretoria just fakes autumn anyway..

BTW, happy birthday for today Bruce!!! :):huh::lol:

Thank you Drix for the good wishes and your prized sextant geocoin you have given me as a present. That means a lot to me. Maybe we can speak to the Green coin-man to ask him to order another one for you!

I am looking forward to our next and final day out planting micros on the 22nd. I am sure by then there will be enough caches to keep the cachers busy for some time. Let us hope that we get a reasonable response and that there are enough teams to make the day worthwhile.

Right... there are 57 caches planted now, end is in sight, but we're not finished yet.

BTW, I'm a bit short on prizes (although we want to keep things low key - hopefully it will inspire more people to host an event with caches, at lower cost) - but any business people who feel generous can contact me on 555-... :rolleyes: Any small contribution will do, to grow the pool!

Edited by dakardrix

Hi guys...we'll sponsor 2 x geocoins. And if we manage to get some spare time, we'll put together a cache or two that can get hidden or perhaps some "swag" lucky packets. We have been finding lately that we are low on swag, and just haven't got round to getting some goodies. We are sure that there are other geocachers out there who also wouldn't mind some "free" swag!! We'll see what we are able to get done before the event and will let you know. We are getting more excited about this one every day! Can't believe how many caches you guys have already hidden!! So much effort and dedication! We are so impressed and we already appreciate it very much!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GEO936

Hi guys...we'll sponsor 2 x geocoins.

We are so impressed and we already appreciate it very much!! ;)

Thanks for the generous offer of the coins, much appreciated.

It will also be interesting to see what stash comes in the caches that people bring as their "entrance fee".

As for the impressed bit and the appreciation... I am keen to see the response after people have climbed trees, forded rivers, navigated swamps and descended into the depths of the earth in search of a MICRO. :rolleyes:

As for the impressed bit and the appreciation... I am keen to see the response after people have climbed trees, forded rivers, navigated swamps and descended into the depths of the earth in search of a MICRO. ;)

Sounds like a huge effort has gone into this. I for one don't mind a micro in an urban setting where larger caches cannot be hidden, but out in the country? Not for me. :rolleyes: Perhaps we are too spoiled with wide open desert here! If a geocoin or TB cannot fit into a cache then I might give it a miss. :D Not quite, but masses of micros are really not my scene.

Good luck with the event and I am following it with interest.

Right... there are 57 caches planted now, end is in sight, but we're not finished yet.

I have just been doing the maths...

If people leave promptly at 07:00 and cache nonstop till the 14:00 cutoff. That is 7 hours. Alternatively, 420 minutes to drive to, find, sign the log and be off to the next one of 57. That mean no more than 7,4 minutes per cache. This event gets more interesting by the day...

I wonder if that is why there are only six responses so far? :rolleyes:

Are the targets too formidable? Are we scaring the caching community off? Where is the sense of adventure? ;)

Sounds like a huge effort has gone into this. I for one don't mind a micro in an urban setting where larger caches cannot be hidden, but out in the country? Not for me. :rolleyes: Perhaps we are too spoiled with wide open desert here! If a geocoin or TB cannot fit into a cache then I might give it a miss. ;) Not quite, but masses of micros are really not my scene.

To be fair, most of the caches planted in the urban areas are micros. However, we have planted small and regulars in the more bucolic settings. Also some of them we would like cachers to replace the micros with decent sized regulars once they have found them - another reason to bring a pre-prepared cache along with you on the day.

So even if micros are not your scene, please still come an have a great day out, especially the braai afterwards to catch up with everybody else. Remember, if fishing is your scene we have something for you too.

Sounds like a huge effort has gone into this. I for one don't mind a micro in an urban setting where larger caches cannot be hidden, but out in the country? Not for me. :rolleyes: Perhaps we are too spoiled with wide open desert here! If a geocoin or TB cannot fit into a cache then I might give it a miss. ;) Not quite, but masses of micros are really not my scene.

To be fair, most of the caches planted in the urban areas are micros. However, we have planted small and regulars in the more bucolic settings. Also some of them we would like cachers to replace the micros with decent sized regulars once they have found them - another reason to bring a pre-prepared cache along with you on the day.

So even if micros are not your scene, please still come an have a great day out, especially the braai afterwards to catch up with everybody else. Remember, if fishing is your scene we have something for you too.

Hokaai Bruce! People still get confused with this. NOBODY is going to replace any cache on the day - what is there is there (even if muggled already)

We will take the caches handed in and use AFTER the event to go and replace where it makes sense. I will try and publish all those that I am certain will not be replaced asap after the event. And hold back on those with possible changes in case the cache size change on the listing and publish them after replacement. Hopefully by the next long weekend, just don't want to promise it.

And for those who donate the 50 bucks instead of bringing a cache - the money will be part of the pool of replacement cost, magnets, etc.

Hope that makes sense?

Edited by dakardrix

BTW, I'm a bit short on prizes (although we want to keep things low key - hopefully it will inspire more people to host an event with caches, at lower cost) - but any business people who feel generous can contact me on 555-... :) Any small contribution will do, to grow the pool!

I'll sponsor a 1000 Red Wiggler Composting Earthworms with full instruction manual, I think just a gift voucher on the day or in a temporary container. The winner then has the choice to keep them in this container or to upgrade to better "worm farm" which I'll guide him/her to build/buy it.

BTW, I'm a bit short on prizes (although we want to keep things low key - hopefully it will inspire more people to host an event with caches, at lower cost) - but any business people who feel generous can contact me on 555-... :) Any small contribution will do, to grow the pool!

I'll sponsor a 1000 Red Wiggler Composting Earthworms with full instruction manual, I think just a gift voucher on the day or in a temporary container. The winner then has the choice to keep them in this container or to upgrade to better "worm farm" which I'll guide him/her to build/buy it.

Tx Wormman! I've been curious about your worms since the first time I figured out where your name comes from. Will be nice to have it there to show the people how it works (please bring some leaflets or whatever if you have)? Maybe we should keep it for the fishing competition... hehe

I have just been doing the maths...

If people leave promptly at 07:00 and cache nonstop till the 14:00 cutoff. That is 7 hours. Alternatively, 420 minutes to drive to, find, sign the log and be off to the next one of 57. That mean no more than 7,4 minutes per cache. This event gets more interesting by the day...

I wonder if that is why there are only six responses so far? :)

Are the targets too formidable? Are we scaring the caching community off? Where is the sense of adventure? :blink:

I think at best the winning team will get 25 caches.

I have been rating the caches - a standard close to the tar road, not difficult and not very far from the event start/end point will earn you 2 points. I think the most difficult cache will give you 6 points, but most are 2 or 3 points.

I think at best the winning team will get 25 caches.

I have been rating the caches - a standard close to the tar road, not difficult and not very far from the event start/end point will earn you 2 points. I think the most difficult cache will give you 6 points, but most are 2 or 3 points.

I have been instructed not to scare any more people off and get more factual.

So here goes...

Here are some interesting stats to date:

Of the 57 caches planted and documented thus far:

45 are Micro and 12 Small

26 are suitable for all road vehicles / tar roads

10 are on gravel roads

18 are on slippery and sandy roads

3 are totally offroad - bundu bashing

From a difficulty perspective:

32 are easy (1)

14 are a bit more difficult (1.5)

7 are tricky (2)

4 require additional effort (2.5)

Accessibility and terrain:

7 are obtainable from your wheelchair or zimmer frame (1)

38 are just plain and simple normal (1.5)

10 require an enhanced agility (2)

2 require both mental and physical astuteness

26 are suitable for all road vehicles / tar roads

10 are on gravel roads

18 are on slippery and sandy roads

3 are totally offroad - bundu bashing

Just to expand a bit:

26 are suitable for all road vehicles / tar roads (Porsche and super bikes!)

10 are on gravel roads (this is suitable for any Porsche or road bike, just means it is not on tar anymore)

18 are on slippery and sandy roads (this is where you start to feel sorry for the Porsche, but any vehicle should still be fine if you don't go too fast; experienced bike riders should be able to take road bikes here slowly, without damage - as long as you stay upright! GS riders will be in their element.)

3 are totally offroad - bundu bashing (a portion of the road might be bundu-bashing, but you should be able to stop and walk the last bit. No cache will require 4x4 abilities, these caches (vehicle level 4) will only benefit from height, i.e. your standard bigger bakkie. GS riders with a bit of experience and normal tyres (i.e. Anakees) will be fine)

Of course, if it rains, things might change! :)

But the forecast for the day is 16/28C - no rain.

BTW, I suspect we will end up with approximately 70 caches for the day.

Edited by dakardrix

Just heard from Tracks4Africa that they will donate 5 SD card map sets. Tx guys! :D:(

Wow - that is cool!! We are fans of Tracks4Africa - thumbs up! check out the Tracks 4 Africa bumper sticker next time you see our cache mobile!

Cool one on Worm's prize as well. Would love to learn more about the worm farm!

Are the targets too formidable? Are we scaring the caching community off? Where is the sense of adventure?

Who's scared? :(

10 are on gravel roads (this is suitable for any Porsche or road bike, just means it is not on tar anymore)

GR8!! Yes, since all geocachers I know have Porches... ;-)

I'm loving this forum guys... looking forward to the pre-event activities already.. :D

Well put. Some were previously tarred roads, but no tar anymore! :(

I'm loving this forum guys... looking forward to the pre-event activities already.. :(

Pre-event activities? :D I thought the braai was afterwards. ;)

I would personally like to thank Tracks4Africa (Pty) Ltd for the generous sponsorship of the five copies of Tracks4Africa Version 9.10 which arrived today. I am sure the recipients at the event will greatly appreciate the prize.

I would also like to acknowledge the other corporate sponsors as well: the Irene Runnning Club as well as the BMW Motorcycle Club.

We are going to have a great event. Please support it, sign up and come along to a funfilled day for everyone. I look forward to seeing more than the current 7 teams who have indicated their attendance.

As we have a few things on the go in the morning, it looks like we will only come through for the braai from 2PM onwards.

It would be nice to maybe do one or two of the event caches on the way. So the question: Would it be possible to email me the GPX file on the morning of the event, So we could maybe do some on the way?

Hi all

We got our first find this weekend and loving the sport!! We would love to come along to this meet but unfortunately I have business to attend to the morning. So as Anton asked would it be possible to email me the list of caches on the morning so we can do a few of them on our way to the braai? We would like to meet all you wondefull people!!

Mannetjie AKA The van Rooyen's

PS: we standing on 3 finds and 1 did not find ( thanks to the rain )

82 and counting... Where does Drix get all his energy from? After running a marathon over the weekend he was all systems go for another dawn to dusk marathon session today with a further 13 planted. For those brave souls out there, come along and have a lot of fun. It is going to be a great day out. For those who let work and other distractions get in the way of geocaching, come for the braai and collect a list of all the caches published on the day and work through them that day, the day after and the weeks after that. It should keep you busy for a good while.

For the rest of you, make a date for the 27th of March at the published co-ordinates at 07:00 for the ride of your life... There are prizes galore for everyone.

Hi there...I see that some folk have touched on this question and it is something that I was meant to ask a while ago. Rolf keeps on pestering me about it.

How will things work on the day in terms of getting all the data for the caching part of the Event? I know in the past, we've had goodies (GPX files) loaded onto our GPS from a laptop and then a paper copy of the listings given to us, and off we went to find the caches. However, on that occasion it was only 10 or 12 caches (or was it only 8?). Also, we will be on our bike for this one, and would rely on using our iPhone for paperless caching. BUT.... the iPhone requires a Pocket Query in order to get the caches loaded. Will you be providing a pocket query with all these caches or can a Pocket Query only be done with Published caches?

We just need to understand what we need to come prepared with (like should we bring our laptop along) or what exactly?

Paper printouts won't work well with the bike!! :)

Latest update: Microfest 2010 – The Kosmos Run

Date: Saturday, 27 March 2010

Where: GC2381D - Clearwater Flyfishing Estate, south east of Pretoria – Severn Place cul-de-sac. S 25° 51.095 E 028° 15.988 As it is a security controlled area, I will send access details to confirmed teams.

All drivers - i.e. vehicles and motorbikes - need to show their driver's license (as we all should carry on us anyway) or ID books in order to gain access. We will be phoned by security and check your team name and only allow those that confirmed (or team names we know)

What: BIG HUNT in the morning, braai in the afternoon.

Hunt for new caches in the area stretching from Midrand through Olifantsfontein, north of Bapsfontein, not quite as far as Rayton, but that general area and direction.

• The idea with this event - keeping in mind according to Groundspeak rules the braai and social gathering is THE Event, the BIG HUNT hunt is separate and needs to be arranged not on the web listing but via the forum (here) and e-mail etc - is to do 4 things apart from the social:

a. Have fun chasing lots of caches on one day.

b. Help those who would like to boost their numbers a bit - come on, admit it, although we all like the hunt and getting to nice places (which will also be important for the Microfest), the majority like the stats part as well.

c. By getting people to donate a cache, it shares the effort and financial burden of creating non-micro caches.

d. Inject some life into the sport and the area.

Schedule:

07:00 – 10:00 : Registration of teams for the BIG HUNT.

1. Entry for the BIG HUNT is 1 x prepared cache per TEAM – bigger than micro, preferably a REGULAR – OR a R50 donation that will be used towards cache costs.

2. The cache will be handed in, NOT TO BE PLANTED BY TEAM. Organisers will use caches submitted to either replace/upgrade some event caches or plant as a new one – credit will be given to contributing teams in listings.

3. No donation or entry requirements for the braai in the afternoon!

07:00 – 10:00 : Once teams have registered, they will be handed a paper list of all the caches available, their waypoints, hints and ratings (approximately 85 new caches), including a mark sheet that they will have to return and a rudimentary map to help with their route planning and perspective.

1. We will use Mapsource to load the waypoints onto compatible GPS units (mainly Garmin) – the naming format will be, i.e. ‘MF73 Zuma’

2. We will keep it simple and no Pocket Queries or GPX files are promised at this moment – however our resident genius GreenJaM will play with the formats and might conjure up some paperless option. (BTW, GreenJaM has not been involved with the cache planting and will only receive the basic information beforehand in order to assist. He will not receive any keywords, enabling him to also take part on the day, but he doesn’t qualify to take a top placing.)

3. Teams will then be set off to find a random cache allocated to them within the hour, SMS’ing the keyword found in the cache. Once found, they can plan their route from there onwards, without limitations. The purpose is to spread cachers around the ‘course’ and avoid congestion or queues at any one cache.

4. Caches are allocated points according to difficulty of cache find, terrain and distance from ‘home’ – cachers therefore need to decide which route will give them the best total. A rating for vehicles will also be given in order to help make a decision on whether to chance it with their cache mobile for the day

5. NB: Once a cache is found, the keyword in the cache must be recorded on the mark sheet and the mark sheet handed in for scoring once they return to base any time before 14:00.

6. Teams can decide on their time of caching and return at any time if they get tired and gatvol! No starting before 07:00 and return no later than 14:00 – BUT, do not speed and put yourself and others at risk!! It is only a game after all, not worth it to risk your life – also asses any security situation around a cache and walk/run away if you are not comfortable. Please!

The intention is to publish 99% of all caches available on the day, as soon as possible after the event. Thank you to Andy (Fish Eagle – reviewer for Africa) for his support of the event, the preparation and final publishing planned.

After 14:00 : All teams returned. Settling down and starting the fires for the braai – at your own leisurely time, please don’t rush home.

• The main event in the afternoon is a "dop and chop" braai where we will celebrate the humble (or is that humbling?) micro, sharing our stories and coins as usual. This is of course for everyone and will count as event attendance (a smiley) just by pitching up.

• We will provide limited (but hopefully sufficient) braai facilities, bread rolls, coffee and tea. You bring your chairs, eats and drinks. Also not too much shade available, so bring your hats and umbrellas/gazebos. If it rains the event will continue and we will make a plan with shelter.

• The normal culprits can bring their geoware and trade freely. And the usual showing off of coin collections and stories going around.

• There are 2 dams available to do some "catch and release" fly fishing (only fly fishing rods and gear allowed) and another 2 for papgooi anglers. If you are interested in fishing, please mention so in your logs and for how many people, as I need to obtain special permission - no costs involved. Bring your own rods/gear, only catch and release, keep the fish in the water when caught.

Around 15:30 : Prizegiving.

Prizes for the best cache submitted and for the top teams include 5 x Tracks4Africa SD card map sets and a 1000 Red Wiggler Composting Earthworms. Other prizes include coins donated by GreenJaM, GEO936, BruceTP, dakardrix – also various prizes from Fish Eagle, Irene Running Club, etc.

Teams so far:

1) GreenJaM

2) Cabey & Alien3Inc (4?)

3) Team Lost (2, BMW club)

4) Team Honeymoon (2, BMW club)

5) Team symbol (?,BMW club)

6) cache-fan (tentative, 3)

7) Far-Jar-Hug (tentative, 5?)

8) Jors (?)

9) Besem (?)

10) Happy Hunters SA (2?)

11) GEO936 (2)

12) Esitoli (?)

13) Team Ginger (2)

14) Wormgeocash

15) Team ZA (2, JPMZA & MeganZA)

Teams for braai only (main event according to Groundpeak rules):

1) BruceTP and dakardrix (+-10, organisers)

2) 2JMT (tentative, 1, from Finland)

3) RedGlobe (2?)

4) DamhuisClan (?)

Edited by dakardrix

Impressive history for the preparation of this Event! You guys rock!! :D

MeganZA and I will be attending both the hunt and the braai in the afternoon. With all the time spent on planning my recent holiday I have not had enough time for caching so I can use the opportunity to add a bit to my numbers! To be honest the discussion is a bit intimidating - :unsure: we do not have a motorbike . . . I must say I was heartned by the reference to the 4x4 corsa - So I should be fine in my new Subaru Forester even though it doesn't have a turbo! B) Looking forward to seeing everybody at the event.

As we have a few things on the go in the morning, it looks like we will only come through for the braai from 2PM onwards.

It would be nice to maybe do one or two of the event caches on the way. So the question: Would it be possible to email me the GPX file on the morning of the event, So we could maybe do some on the way?

We had a board meeting followed by a committee establsihing a charter and policy on the matter and after the vote we decided it would not be fair...

But hey, since you supported us from the beginning, I'll gladly send it through on Saturday morning. Can you still bring a braai and gazebo? :surprise:

Just received word that I must go and pick up some more prizes from BMW Bavarian Motorcycles, Pretoria.

If it's too nice, I'll just keep it... :o

If it is a GS800, I think I shall just have to keep it instead. :surprise:

-----

Ok, the event is now cast in concrete. The documentation is printed and the listings are all pre-approved: 85 in all. Sorry Drix, your secret ambition for a target of 100 is not going to happen! I think we both need to catch up on sleep as well as on the family. Make sure the dog does not chase you off as an intruder when you get home tonight. :ph34r:

All that now leaves us to do is clear out your garage tomorrow as a contingency in case it rains on the day, dust off the braais and await the onslaught of cachers at the crack of dawn on Saturday. I am sure you won't see the eager ones for dust when the starting pistol goes off at 07:00. :anicute:

To all the teams participating, may you have as much fun finding the caches as we did planting them. Drive safely and don't take unnecessary risks. No climbing trees if you suffer from vertigo! Remember, there are still snakes around at this time of year. ;)

Updated teams so far:

BIG HUNT

1) Cabey & Alien3Inc & GreenJaM (4?)

2) Team Honeymoon (2, BMW club) & team symbol (1, BMW club)

3) cache-fan (tentative, 3)

4) Far-Jar-Hug (tentative, 5?)

5) Jors (?)

6) Besem (?)

7) Happy Hunters SA (2)

8) GEO936 (2)

9) Esitoli (?)

10) Team Ginger (2)

11) Wormgeocash

12) Team ZA (2, JPMZA & MeganZA)

13) DamhuisClan & The Gold Diggers & Wild Birds (11? part of team)

14) Team Star Trek (Sky Walker & Leia, Smurfie & Jokersguild)

BRAAI ONLY:

1) BruceTP and dakardrix (+-10, organisers)

2) 2JMT (tentative, 1, from Finland)

3) RedGlobe (2)

4) DamhuisClan & The Gold Diggers & Wild Birds (11)

We are almost ready for this BIG one!!

I dug up my helmet, it was covered in a thick layer of dust, but under that dust it still looks brand new (because I haven't been on a bike since 2005). Then I uncovered my bike jacket and dusted that off too. I don't fit into my bike pants anymore - two kids later and I'm two sizes bigger now. Rolf uses his helmet and jacket regularly, so his helmet looks a little worse for wear. But he doesn't fit into his bike pants either <_< , so I don't feel so bad. Got the tank bag set up, Rolf made some modifications to have the Nuvi plug into a 12v jack on the bike (because the darn thing doesn't have much battery life). Had the bike serviced and got a new front tyre...soooooooo....we are ALL SET TO GO ON THIS MOMENTOUS EVENT!

We are so looking forward to it and we cannot wait. Just one more sleep to go! ;)

Sleep? What is that? We have both been burning the midnight oil for days now. In fact when I arrived at 06:30 this morning to start setting up and clearing out the garage, Drix was still in bed! He had been up till 01:30 releasing all the caches for final publication.

We are almost done. The muffins are all made and ready for your early morning cup of coffee before you set off for the hunt. There is still a little more work to be done on the garage to set up the PCs (and Mac) ready to download all the co-ordinates before you set off. Some of the prizes are awesome - just a little incentive to try out the more difficult caches. They will get more points allocated in the final score. We are keen to see who will attempt the swamp. <_<

But more importantly we just want people to come and have fun. ;)

See you shortly...

Dakardrix, BruceTP and all involved. Thanks so much for a such well organized event. :rolleyes:

It was a great day out and we had LOTS of fun. Was nice meeting up with all the regulars and welcome to some new cachers. Now i'm looking forward to the other 60 odd MF caches that I still need to do. I think that centurion and surrounds can now probably boast with the highest cache density (Citation needed), in SA that is.

Well well, what can I say - what a rush! :D:huh:B)B):o:)

The best part of this event is that the fun continues, I can sit back and wait for the logs, ignore the complaints, have a devious grin, look at the caches received and start scheming as to where they'll go. And start planning maintenance runs... :)

My garage is sorted the way I wanted 3 years ago, and because Bruce did such a good job with drilling holes and hanging stuff in the garage my wife roped him into mounting mirrors and stuff in our bath room and things outside - things she asked me to do a year ago already! :o:rolleyes::D

Thanks for everyone who supported the day - the quick storm at the end of the day made it look like a flash mob gathering wrapping up, but fortunately it didn't feel like unfinished business. Someone even caught a fish!

What blew my mind was when I went to clean up after the rain - seeing that people cleared out in a rush trying to flee the rain, you couldn't expect people to clean up properly? And what do I find, after looking carefully? 60-odd people, a braai with food and containers from home, lots of stuff that is used up and can be discarded... and I find ONE small plastic pull-ring!! Well done guys, you make me so proud to be a cacher!!!!! :):):):):)

Thanks to the Damhuisclan for the braai and gazebos (also Cabey and others I think) and GreenJaM for the awesome help on the morning and before, my awesome wife and kids and Mom+Mom-in-law (muffins, coffee/tea, marking, registering, etc., etc., etc.)

A great thanks to everyone donating prizes, I hope the recipients enjoy them! BMW Bavarian Motorcycles, Tracks4Africa, Irene Running Club, Team Da Garma of previous years, Wormgeocache (Jacques), GreenJaM (Marinus), GEO936 (Rolf & Silvia), Groundspeak (Andy) - and I've lost track (i.e. who gave the Mugg&Bean voucher?)... so thanks to everyone I've forgotten to mention!

And lastly, the biggest thanks go to my partner in crime, BruceTP, the strangest friend I have (no wait there are a few others too! :D:D ) He gave time, money, effort, put up with my grumpiness and unstructured ideas and brain, and generally just poured himself into the event. Tx partner, onwards to Microfest 2020!!!

:D:D...fading out with the theme from Jaws...

Drix and Bruce, thank you so much for a brilliant event that was organised extremely well!!!

You both clearly went to a lot of effort and it showed. Thanks for spending so much time planning and creating these caches, you both must be absolutely exhausted!! We hope you have some time to get some rest!!

A highlight was spending such an enjoyable afternoon with friends.

Thanks for our wonderful prizes! Pity the rain ended the day but we're looking forward to doing more of the Microfest caches soon.

Although I say it myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the event and everything that went into it. I may not have showed it or have been the most communicative as I was so tired by the end. ;) It was good seeing geocachers joining up to have fun together. Listening to some of the stories of finds at different places afterwards made it all worthwhile. :( Our aim was not only to make the caches both challenging and enjoyable but be a catalyst to bring cachers and friends from far and near together to interact, have fun and experience the camaraderie. I think in the main, it was achieved.

I would therefore like to thank Drix for opening his home and the use of the estate for the braai and other activities for us all to enjoy. The setting was superb. :) By far, he put in the lion's share of effort and energy coming up with all the ideas and executing them. Thank you for your skilled riding, whether off road or on, to place the various caches and the fun we had in doing it. I think your wife and family deserve a medal (geocoin? ;) ) for putting up with your late hours and me waking them all up when I used to pitch at six in the morning! :( They did not see much of you over the weekends and the public holiday either. Everybody however, pitched in at the end from the in-laws, outlaws, children and connections to support the whole effort. The children especially seemed to have fun baking muffins and they were delicious. B) Much appreciated.

So in conclusion, thanks to everybody who came and made the day the day a winner. Now it is all systems go for the 2010 Techno Event (GC23VVP) next month. I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there to learn and share from our pooled technological knowledge base. :D:huh::)

Drix and Bruce - Thank you very much for a super event - and also all the fun we are going to have with the caches in the following weeks. It was great to have my first experience of this type of an event and the socialising with so many cachers was great fun. Congratulations with the success of the event and thank you again to you two and all the other people who helped you to make it such a great event. :)

A red and white memory stick was lost on Saturday at the event on the grass next to the dam, please let me know if someone has found it.

Tx, Drix

Cool, the memory stick has been found!

A few FTF's are still up for grabs, and I enjoy the logs coming through! B) The funniest logs are a toss-up between besem, Danie Viljoen, DamhuisClan and Team Ginger... :P

I think the favourite is possibly Juxtaposition (shared by Bruce and I), Hades is an interesting one, Rietvlei View II is most confusing.

Country Lane Scramble has been a surprise challenge for most (not sure why when we say do 'this' and people do 'that' to make it more difficult for themselves ;):P ), Monks of Capuchino the easiest and Members Only and Overhang competing to be the most elusive.

No comments on Frustration - think I have to rename that one to Ginger Frustration... :blink:

But it seems like the most entertaining one was Out of the Box. At first I thought the logs were joking when the 3 Muscateers (Jors, Wormgeocash and besem - the winners on the day) mentioned a ladder that Jacques brought along. But no, very serious. Until I saw this pic and nearly fell on the floor laughing out loud :PB)B) ....

55c419a8-2fee-4190-adea-52ee89ccc8c6.jpg