Cache Density: Where? How Many?

Dr. Whoever

While thumbing through the Google maps for geocaching I noticed some areas in some of the major cities I scrolled through required me to shrink my view because the view exceeded 500 caches. Then a thought occurred to me <<<<< This is a dangerous concept, me thinking. I started to wonder which towns or area has the most caches per square mile. I also noticed some very large cities with very few caches. Hmmmm, I thought then it might be fun if I asked here for folks to post a geocache map link or even the gc number of a cache within a very dense area. So here goes, let's see what's out there.

Post on this thread an area you know of or have cached that is "cache rich" or post the geocaching googlemap link or just a gc number of a cache in an area that is absolutely cache rich.

Lancaster, CA area

Edited by Castle Man

FYI - the area you chose happens to be within the "CLUE" series. Originally, it was laid out to spell the word CLUE when viewed from above. Then someone added the "NO" in front to make it NO CLUE. Then many others started adding caches in the area so now it's real hard to read the first part. That's why it's so dense. At least the "E" is still clear.....

While thumbing through the Google maps for geocaching I noticed some areas in some of the major cities I scrolled through required me to shrink my view because the view exceeded 500 caches. Then a thought occurred to me <<<<< This is a dangerous concept, me thinking. I started to wonder which towns or area has the most caches per square mile. I also noticed some very large cities with very few caches. Hmmmm, I thought then it might be fun if I asked here for folks to post a geocache map link or even the gc number of a cache within a very dense area. So here goes, let's see what's out there.

Post on this thread an area you know of or have cached that is "cache rich" or post the geocaching googlemap link or just a gc number of a cache in an area that is absolutely cache rich.

Lancaster, CA area

I usually find cache density topics interesting and have wondered if some sort of metric could be created which indicated the number of caches in a area compared to the number of geocachers in the same region and see that value over time. It could provide an indicator as to the size and activity of geocaching communities.

I live in an area toward the other end of the scale. Yesterday I got notification of a cache placed about 18 miles from me. The last time a cache was placed within 20 miles was about two months ago and there have only been 3 new caches within 20 miles in the past 3 months.

As far as large cities with few caches go, you probably hadn't considered some of the large cities outside the U.S. I am likely going to be traveling to Africa (again) on business in the near future and, of couse, was checking on the geocache situation in the area I would be traveling. Dar Es Salaam is the largest city in Tanzania with almost 2.5 million people in the region. The closest cache to the city center is 40 miles away and only 5 within 100 miles.