Castle AFB, Atwater, California

balesom

I had a question, and didn't know where to turn... so hi, forums!

Basically, I went caching today with my parents at the defunct Castle AFB. I've been out there a couple times for leisurely caching. Today, a security guard asked what we were doing, and we told him. He said he's had people out there before doing the same, and he didn't mind, he just wanted to know what we were doing and he would leave us be. Anyways, in the middle of a search, we saw a security truck coming around and staring at us, so we assumed the muggle position (dad posing for a picture, mom trying to get me in it, me being annoyed) and they came around and asked if we needed help. Said no, we were just out geocaching. In essence, we were told that the entire base is county property (true), that they didn't allow scavenger hunts (okay) and that we were trespassing (huh?).

Does this not sound right to anyone else, or is it just me? If so, what of the 20 caches on the base?

Hi balesom,

As far as I know the former air base is open to all because of the many business out there. It might depend on the time you are out there. During evening and night they patrol. They are just making sure there is no funny business going on there. (ie: stealing, graffiti, vandalism) I go out to the base all the time to walk our dog. Have fun and enjoy. :mellow:

It was probably around 4:30pm when we were told to leave. We had been out there for a couple hours, and we talked to the first guard about 2pm. It was slightly overcast, but it wasn't late, and they knew exactly why we were there. I don't know, I think I was rather annoyed by their rudeness than what they said.

Oh, and the first guard did say that they will ask people to leave at night if they're out geocaching due to the recent string of thefts out there, but he was talking about dark time, since he recently caught a group out there at 11:30pm.

It was probably around 4:30pm when we were told to leave. We had been out there for a couple hours, and we talked to the first guard about 2pm. It was slightly overcast, but it wasn't late, and they knew exactly why we were there. I don't know, I think I was rather annoyed by their rudeness than what they said.

Oh, and the first guard did say that they will ask people to leave at night if they're out geocaching due to the recent string of thefts out there, but he was talking about dark time, since he recently caught a group out there at 11:30pm.

I'll ask the Merced County Spokesperson and post the answer here, stay tuned. :lostsignal:

I'll ask the Merced County Spokesperson and post the answer here, stay tuned. :)

Ya, Photom's been in their prison system for long enough to know all the guards by name. :lostsignal: Looking forward to his report. :)

I'll ask the Merced County Spokesperson and post the answer here, stay tuned. :(

Ya, Photom's been in their prison system for long enough to know all the guards by name. :) Looking forward to his report. :D

Now that funny :o

I met with the head guy at Castle. We had a nice lunch and I showed him a couple cache locations.

I don't know where he's been living, but he'd never even heard of geocaching. But he does think his 12-year-old would like to go sometime.

The results?

1. Caching is legal as Castle but there may be some concerns with some of the placements.

2. Unlike what many people think, Castle is a live operational airport.

3. If the security folks were rude to anyone, they apologize.

4. Security should not be telling folks to leave, unless they were doing something they should not be doing.

5. There has been a serious problem with theft at Castle, so they are in a state of heightened security.

Having said all that - we are planning to get together again to review more details.

Local cachers may be asked to brief or train the security contractors.

Some caches on the "airport side" of the base - if there are any, may need to be removed.

Once completed, I'll notify y'all and the reviewers of the results. ;)

Edited by Photom

:ph34r:

We were on our third find on this old Castle Air Force Base when

we noticed that "yes" indeed we were being followed since arriving

in this area......

It was at night around 7:00pm.....Feb 06, 2010...

All that plantdude posted and more on his caching log for cache GCZTQV is what took place.....

So, I will not go into anymore explanation of our disruption in geocaching

on this base......you can go to his post on the geocaching.com website to read more.....

I did locate the Nicely Camo-ed Cache Container and was asked by security

to show it to him....which I did.....

I shared with him that each cacher takes great care in placing a cache for those

who take part in this great game...and sometimes go to great lengths to create

some awesome containers......

I am not sure if they will remove the container or not.... Since

we were told to leave the premises immediately.....

In which we did......I called the cache owner who is a friend of mine and shared

with him what transpired.....

We will see what occurs from all of this....

Hopefully good!

Thanks Tom for looking into this....

Call me if you need more info.....

Take care,

Edited by blindbutnowisee