Searching in public

skiingskyhawk

I am new to geocaching, and so far I am excited about it. I was surprised to see that there are tons of caches in my area. The other day, I took my kids with me (4 and 2). We found only one out of 3. They were all near public or semi-public places. One reaction I didnt realize I would experience was one of feeling sort of self-conscious.

What must people think I am doing looking through bushes, trees, telephone poles, etc? With the kids I felt a little better, at least Im not as likely to be perceived as being up to mischeif.

Has anyone felt this way, and does it get better? I know, weird question. Maybe I just need to be more selective as far as the caches I go after.

Thanks for the replies. :(

Sorry - this got posted twice.....there was some lag in the wifi and didnt think the original got posted.

Edited by skiingskyhawk

I personally don't care for these kinds of caches and simply avoid them. Other people like the cloak and dagger aspect and enjoy them.

They key is that if you aren't doing anything illegal there is really nothing to be worried about. If the caches are in a place where you don't think you belong then you don't have to find it.

Edited by briansnat

yes the cloak and dagger or just plain fun adventure caches are a favorite of mine so i dont get to wierded out by public ones, i even have one hide not 50 feet from a pub. but alot of people do avoid them, i guess it's up to you in the end really. just remember it's meant to be fun, if you don't feel right about it and it's not sounding like fun then i would move on. it's only a game... play on... happy caching :(

For some it's part of the fun, hanging around all "Jason Bourne" like and grabbing those types of caches. For others they feel guilty and paranoid like a drug dealer waiting to make a transaction. I don't mind those types of caches. You just have to play the game. Like holding your gps up to your ear and pretending it's a phone or maybe take a clip board and wear a hard hat (might not work with 2 kids..!!) or pretending you lost something or just look like you know what you are doing Whatever...you get the drift..play the game... be creative..the challenge is to get the cache and out smart the cacher who placed it..!! Make him read your logs...every cache is an adventure and you should never feel bad or mischeivious (did i spell that right.?) about playing the game...now go dress up like a meter cop and grab those urban caches....

You are definitely not alone in this experience! Let’s face it, it is much easier to hide a new geocache quickly, and run, than it is to search for it, find it, sign the log, and then replace it back.

My main concern with urban geocaches is that many of them were placed without permission. So by searching for those types of geocaches, I increase the risk of running into an angry business owner. :(

My advise is to search for geocaches in a public park, or somewhere similar until you are ready for the "swoop, and grab" urban caches. :(

You are definitely not alone in this experience! Let’s face it, it is much easier to hide a new geocache quickly, and run, than it is to search for it, find it, sign the log, and then replace it back.

My main concern with urban geocaches is that many of them were placed without permission. So by searching for those types of geocaches, I increase the risk of running into an angry business owner. :(

My advise is to search for geocaches in a public park, or somewhere similar until you are ready for the "swoop, and grab" urban caches. :(

My advice is to start hunting for "swoop, and grab" urban caches only after you have found your 5001st. non-swoop and grab urban cache. And then only if the nearest non-"swoop, and grab" urban cache is more than 200 miles distant.

Such hides are an embarrassment to the game and it's participants. Especially as in post #6 there.

Edited by Team Cotati

I walk away from any cache that leads me to feeling too self concious because I am "too" public.

However, I recommend being bold - not timid. Just find the cache - act as though you belong there. Carry a clipboard and behave professionally as though it is your job to find that cache and a job you are proud to do. Just do it.

We're still under 10 finds, so by no means an expert on this. However, on search #2, a policeman rolled up to see what we were doing, and us with ammo can in hand. We showed him the box (which was nicely marked "OFFICIAL GEOCACHE"), and told him the truth. Before he left, we were laughing about it (and still are). But, the advice I will give is this:

It's a game. Play and have fun. If something is interfering with the fun, figure out a more fun way to play. If digging through bushes where people can see makes you uncomfortable, then don't do it. There are 975,000 + other caches you can look for. Should be plenty of every type, for people that want to play any way. Like I told my son, who was getting bummed by 3 DNF's in a row...."Are you having fun looking? (He nodded.) Then we win."

Later!

It really doesn't matter if they see you searching, as long as they don't see you removing the cache or replacing it, then it's ok. I only get self conscious once I figure out where it is, and then just make sure nobody is watching. Even if they do happen to see you find it, just don't let them see you put it back.

In theory, you could be looking for anything. (cell phone, car keys, money that blew away, a rare type of insect, "evidence", a pet ferret, ect) If they see you place it back, they most likely will go see what it is, or call someone about a suspicious object in the area.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick to less conspicuous places and caches that are easier. If it is in an area where I can be seen, I will probably take the kids. But there are lots of cool places out of the way that I can start with first.

Thanks for the replies. It is interesting to see how everybody handles this sort of thing. Especially with everyone hypervigilant in this day and age it is easy to be confused with someone up to no-good. Which may potentially threaten the hobby.

Skiingskyhawk :mellow:

Thanks for the replies. I think I will stick to less conspicuous places and caches that are easier. If it is in an area where I can be seen, I will probably take the kids. But there are lots of cool places out of the way that I can start with first.

Thanks for the replies. It is interesting to see how everybody handles this sort of thing. Especially with everyone hypervigilant in this day and age it is easy to be confused with someone up to no-good. Which may potentially threaten the hobby.

Skiingskyhawk :mellow:

It's happened many times. Someone spies a cacher placing an object in bushes, a guardrain, lamp post, etc and reports it to the police. Then the bomb squad is on the scene and often the cache is blown to smithereens.

The first rule is to blend in. Don't wear cammo in the heart of downtown.

the second rule is to have a good 1 sentence answer to the question " whatcha doin? I have yet to use my answer. Simply having it in my mind allows me to walk and act like i belong there. Also eliminates skulking.

Adults have a fairly high threshold for interrupting a fellow adult that is not directly threatning and is not "skulking". Children, by comparison are naturally curious and will ask if nearby. That's why I'll pass up a playground hide every time if its not deserted.

Whatcha doin?

1. Here kitty Kitty Kitty

2. Looking for my keys

3. Looking for my wife's keys

4. Surveying the plantlife

5. Enjoying this lovely view

6. Taking a lunch break

7. Pre survey for a volunteer cleanup by our boyscout troop

8. Distributing summonses. Your name is?...

9. Trying to get a reasonable cel phone signal

10. Searching for a Geocache (only correct answer when asker is a LEO)

11. Looking for abandoned tupperware

12. Looking for insects for my child's science project

13. Looking for a place to play catch with my child

14. Looking for a place to walk my dog

15. Walking my dog (dog required)

16. looking for historical structures (seen any lately?)

17. Photographing plantlife (camera recommended)

18. Looking for a survey monument

19. Looking for underground utilities

20. Looking for a new fishing hole (water recommended)

21. Looking for my hubcap

22. Looking for my wife's hubcap

Most of my few caches have been of the public type. On each one, my self consciousness (which is considerable) evaporated once I found the cache. I just keep reminding myself of the advice my fisheries professor gave me while driving a truck across a city park: "It's amazing what you can get away with if you look like you know what you're doing!"

While I still favor the more out of the way caches, and intend to do many more, the winter season and perpetual snow cover dictate that most of the ones available to me in my local area are more urban in nature. So, I will continue to "look like I know what I'm doing" and go for them.

I am new to geocaching, and so far I am excited about it. I was surprised to see that there are tons of caches in my area. The other day, I took my kids with me (4 and 2). We found only one out of 3. They were all near public or semi-public places. One reaction I didnt realize I would experience was one of feeling sort of self-conscious.

What must people think I am doing looking through bushes, trees, telephone poles, etc? With the kids I felt a little better, at least Im not as likely to be perceived as being up to mischeif.

Has anyone felt this way, and does it get better? I know, weird question. Maybe I just need to be more selective as far as the caches I go after.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Sorry - this got posted twice.....there was some lag in the wifi and didnt think the original got posted.

Ya, I know the feeling. I kind of pictured hiking in some nice Nat. Forest or somewhere, finding a cache, stopping for lunch, playing with the GPS unit a bit. But diging in some dirty parking lot islands while emplyees from nearby businesses stare suspiciously, wondering if I'm going to get arrested for defacing private property, sort of waiting for a cop to pull up, throw me in handcuffs and take me to say the nearest mental hospital?! ......ok

Not sure I'm going to be into these city caches. Seems kinda weird.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I find muggles ignore you if you look like you know exactly what you're doing. Lamp skirt - walk right on up to it and lift the base, like you're a maintenance worker or something and no notice whatsoever. Sneak up looking left and right and all stealthy and .... then the muggles will pay attention - kind of that 'guilty look' thing.

Kids and dogs are useful for searching public areas too, they give you an 'excuse to be there'. I use my camera a lot for this stuff as well. Just look like you went over there for a great shot ....

...anyone felt this way, and does it get better? I know, weird question. Maybe I just need to be more selective as far as the caches I go after....

Yes I feel exactly that way. I don't like feeling exposed when I'm looking for a cache. Your answer is the right one. Be a bit more selective in what you seek. After 1000+ finds the feeling has never gone away when I do look for one of "those" caches. However I can tell you there are a lot of caches out there that you will be perfectly happy looking form. Some where you wouldn't expect it.

So maybe don't avoid any one, but if any one isn't fun, move to the next.

And it depends where you are, when you're searching. I've found almost 300 caches in New York City. For only a few have I felt nervous or self-conscious. And that's mostly only with homeless people, punks, or doormen nearby. Several hundred people passed by while I was feeling up the bridge in Central Park. No one saw me! Probably my most audacious move was to plop my backpack right behind the lady leaning on the sign where the cache was hidden. Tied my shoelace, and palmed the cache. We all signed it. Plopped my backpack down right behind her again, and rifled through it, replacing the cache. She barely gave me a glance!

Playgrounds, on the other fin... Or in a park, near someone's back fence... Or a quiet suburban neighborhood... Those are tough to look inconspicuous.

...anyone felt this way, and does it get better? I know, weird question. Maybe I just need to be more selective as far as the caches I go after....

Yes I feel exactly that way. I don't like feeling exposed when I'm looking for a cache. Your answer is the right one. Be a bit more selective in what you seek. After 1000+ finds the feeling has never gone away when I do look for one of "those" caches. However I can tell you there are a lot of caches out there that you will be perfectly happy looking form. Some where you wouldn't expect it.

So maybe don't avoid any one, but if any one isn't fun, move to the next.

...and no, it doesn't really get any better over time. As a matter of fact it seems to have gotten worse for me. I almost can't do the public eye caches anymore unless it's real early or raining or some other reason most of the public isn't around.

And it depends where you are, when you're searching. I've found almost 300 caches in New York City. For only a few have I felt nervous or self-conscious. A

Several hundred people passed by while I was feeling up the bridge in Central Park. No one saw me! Probably my most audacious move was to plop my backpack right behind the lady leaning on the sign where the cache was hidden. Tied my shoelace, and palmed the cache.

But think..... You're in NY doing that. Not East Okie...... Different definition of weird/suspiciious/etc.

I had trouble with that today- I searched for 2 caches in parking lots and was completely self-conscious. 3 others were near paved walking/biking trails with a view of the nearby highway and neighboring houses, but no bystanders and I was 100x's more comfortable.

On the 2nd parking lot cache, I actually pulled out my phone and pretended I was talking on that and I felt considerably better, but still felt like I was doing something wrong (even though I wasn't of course.)

I travel overseas 5-7 times a month, spending aprox. 26hrs. in any particular city. I have found that geocaching has taken mi to some very interesting locations in these cities that I would never have visited otherwise, therefore, the majority of my finds are urban finds. As others have stated, looking and acting as if you belong, and believing that you do (which you do), is half the battle. The other half is blending in. Cell phones, a camera, and laced shoes are great props for cover stories!!! If a search has you feeling uncomfortable, then move on; there are plenty more to find. Just remember; enjoy the hunt, but most importantly enjoy where the hunt has taken you!!!

Mimiata

Yeah I kind of imagined searching in state parks for "treasure" and it would be sort of isolated. It looks like there is some of those too though.

So far I found several caches this week that were in "public" places, but really were still somewhat isolated from immediate observation. Partly because of the time of day/evening and location. Except for one in a park and ride. Although there were cars around, it was a small enough lot to see if anyone was present or not and not a lot of activity. So it looked like I was just cleaning things up a bit - doing a good service for the parking lot for a few minutes. Admittedly it is kind of neat finding something somewhere in these areas knowing that a lot of people go by this every day, and only a select few know of its presence.

Part of the fun is not just hunting, but planning on when and how to do the hunt - and even scoping out the area ahead of time if it is in your area and this can be done.

Also, I know I am not doing anything illegal, so this helps as well.

I think if it were a prolonged search and there was a lot of other activity, I would abort the search and either return at a better time if I could, or just move on to a another one.

<_<

Yeah I kind of imagined searching in state parks for "treasure" and it would be sort of isolated. It looks like there is some of those too though.

So far I found several caches this week that were in "public" places, but really were still somewhat isolated from immediate observation. Partly because of the time of day/evening and location. Except for one in a park and ride. Although there were cars around, it was a small enough lot to see if anyone was present or not and not a lot of activity. So it looked like I was just cleaning things up a bit - doing a good service for the parking lot for a few minutes. Admittedly it is kind of neat finding something somewhere in these areas knowing that a lot of people go by this every day, and only a select few know of its presence.

Part of the fun is not just hunting, but planning on when and how to do the hunt - and even scoping out the area ahead of time if it is in your area and this can be done.

Also, I know I am not doing anything illegal, so this helps as well.

I think if it were a prolonged search and there was a lot of other activity, I would abort the search and either return at a better time if I could, or just move on to a another one.

<_<

The more caches you find, the more ways of hiding you become aware of, the easier it becomes (Ha! <_<)

The more ways of hiding a cache in urban areas you are aware of, gives you the chance to look from a distance, before walking up to the hide to quickly search and retrieve.

Easier to replace the cache, as you don't have to watch what you are doing so closely, just glance as you leave to make sure it's as you found it.

I did my first search for a cache today. There is a hard-to-find one virtually across the street from the gated community in which I live. Unfortunately it's on a major boulevard with lots of traffic and in the parking lot the cache borders. Since I can't afford a GPSr, this is the obvious first choice for me.

I couldn't find it on my first try. I did feel funny rooting around in the bushes with all the traffic and people around but no one said anything. After I started really looking though I didn't feel that conspicuous; I could always say I dropped my keys.

Hopefully I can get back there and find it next time!

btw here is the link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...02-f37b508db14d

EJKorvette mka Evan

Thanks for the replies. <_<

I'm not terribly fond of 'urban' caches that put me in plain view when searching for a cache. When I do attempt these kinds of caches I like to stand off of the location by 30 or 40 feet and start to think like the hider before I start 'poking' around.

I also keep saying I'm going to keep a clipboard with a legal pad on it in the cachemobile so I can pull it out to take 'fake notes' while poking around to help defer suspicion. It's human nature to assume that a guy (or gal) with a clipboard that takes a quick peek in a bush, then writes a few notes on their clipboard is just 'doing their job' and gets ignored. (unfortunately the same tactics are used by criminals in the process of committing crimes in broad daylight).

Of course I never remember the clip board.

A hard hat and a shirt with a "Geospatial Inspection Services" logo compliment the clipboard well I understand :D