A week long UK caching adventure

Stuey

If someone asked you to recommend the ultimate place to spend a week caching in England or Wales (south of Yorkshire - no offence intended, it's just a geographical limit) in March, where would you suggest? The following critera apply:

• Don't mind big walks or mountains
  • Ability to park and move around easily by campervan (ie no cache and dashes up narrow lanes)
  • Dog friendly areas
  • The option of a big series of caches is appealing
  • Numbers aren't everything, but the occasional powertrail would be good
  • Don't mind splitting the week up and having two or three different bases

What do you suggest? I know it's horses for courses, but let's see what suggestions roll in :(

Edited by Stuey

I'd seriously consider Dartmoor - lots of wide open space, enough roads to get around and enough hiking to keep you busy, and quite a lot of caches there too! Some of the roads are very small although you should find enough roads big enough to take the camper van.

West Cornwall also has some great caches, although from what I recall not as many as Dartmoor.

The Peak District is nice with a variety of cache types and has the advantage of being fairly central in the UK so could be incorporated into trips to other locations. I really enjoyed Hope (Piratemania 2008) and it has a nice mix of easy and challenging caches in the surrounding area.

There can be small lanes, but you can avoid these if neccessary.

If you've not already been out there, the Isles of Scilly are a great place for a caching holiday but March might be a bit early; they seem to shut everything down for the 'off-season', including the tourist boats... If it's towards the end of March you might find something though, and it would be cheap, being off-peak... the camper might have to stay on the mainland though. How about the Isle of Wight? Lots of great walks there, lots of caches, not too busy in March, but still 'open', so to speak.

Edited by Simply Paul

Mid and North Wiltshire........there's hundreds upon hundreds of all different types, cache and dashes, circular walks, interest, historical, towns and all within short distances and if that is not enough you can hop to Hants or Gloucestershire where there are thousands more. Spoilt for choice to say the least! :mellow::(:huh:

Another vote for Dartmoor here - lots to go at, great scenery. The Alphabet Challenge series remains a personal favourite of mine, and there's a series along the old railway line from Princetown which is all fairly low-level and hence a good option in bad weather.

As regards camper van, it's worth pointing out that the signposts are colour-coded, so you can tell in advance what the road's going to be like before you get stuck down it!

Another vote for Dartmoor here - lots to go at, great scenery. The Alphabet Challenge series remains a personal favourite of mine, and there's a series along the old railway line from Princetown which is all fairly low-level and hence a good option in bad weather.

As regards camper van, it's worth pointing out that the signposts are colour-coded, so you can tell in advance what the road's going to be like before you get stuck down it!

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I'm off to Dartmoor wild-camping for a long weekend in March, it's not primarily a caching trip & I won't be doing hundreds so are there any "Don't miss" caches? We'll be starting at IvyBridge and making our way up to Princetown & back to IvyBridge, probably via some sort of circuitous route.

Thanks for the ideas so far folks. Quite a few have mentioned Dartmoor, and Cornwall.... I should have said I'd like to leave my home county (Devon) and head up-country. I'm lucky to live here aren't I?

Legend series looks interesting, and I might head up the East coast picking off my final counties over there (Beds, Cambs, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincs). So reddeeps, I might be heading that way. As for the rest of the week.... still looking!

Please avoid us friendly folk in London.

You'll spend your budget on parking fines alone. :mellow:

I too vote for W. and indeed E. Sussex.

The climate is usually uncommonly wonderful and caches galore.

Arundel offers a superb castle too.

The Downs beckons and the seaside too.

Ooooh....I love it! :(

Please avoid us friendly folk in London.

You'll spend your budget on parking fines alone. :)

The trick in London is to use an Oyster Card. No fines or parking hassles. Loads of caches in historical locations. I work in London and it is worth a visit.

You just have to park close enough to somewhere that can take an Oyster card. Loads of good caches in London though, no argument there.

Thanks for the ideas so far folks. Quite a few have mentioned Dartmoor, and Cornwall.... I should have said I'd like to leave my home county (Devon) and head up-country. I'm lucky to live here aren't I?

Legend series looks interesting, and I might head up the East coast picking off my final counties over there (Beds, Cambs, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincs). So reddeeps, I might be heading that way. As for the rest of the week.... still looking!

Hi

Pleased to hear it!! But you could spend a whole week here, its great, especially for 4 legs.

If you need any help with camp sites, or places you could park for free let me know. Also we have a dog and have a short list of the places we like to go best, some are even near caches!

If you do come have a look at this local forum, and you could even meet some of us.

http://eageomobbers.org.uk/index/

If you've not already been out there, the Isles of Scilly are a great place for a caching holiday but March might be a bit early;

We had a fortnight there last summer and thoroughly enjoyed caching on all the islands. However, I think you are right that March might be a bit early.

I have to second the suggestion from *mouse* about the Peak District. There are loads of caches and you would be in great countryside. There are a number of series that we have enjoyed. In particular "A Quarry Caper" series and "A Stoney Stroll" series, both by The Stoney Stashers stand out for me as excellent circular walks. However, there is so much in the area you could easily devise your own walk based around caches - we often do.

Excuse me Mr Stuey blokie...

Why South of Yorkshire Durham was still in ENGLAND last time I looked :surprise::laughing:

I hope Ozzy bites you on the butt :o:o

Hi Mandy,

It's only because I'm borrowing the campervan and don't want to put a million miles on the clock, that's all. I'll save Durham for another time ;)