Geocaching Computer

Hi

A while ago i bought a acer aspire one a110, 512mb ram & 8gb ssd. I have found that this is no good for me. There was not enough ram and the hard drive was way to small. Because of this i will be selling it.

Does anyone have a good suggestion of what i should buy. i can spend a maximum of £200. It will need to be able to run Gsak, Memory map and possibly something that i can store my pictures on. It will need a big hard drive as i will have about 30gb of maps on it and all 30 available pocket queries. It also can not weigh more than 1.5kg as i will be carrying it around on all caching trips.

Any ideas would really help.

William.banfield

You'll find small netbooks with more RAM, a bigger HDD, better CPU, but you will also find they cost a LOT more than your cheap cheap netbooks.

We got a couple of small business grade netbooks last year for some of the bosses at work and even at wholesale rates they cos 4 times that of your cheap netbooks.

I got an Acer aspire 10.1 notebook for Christmas. 160 gb hard drive 1gb ram (upgradable to 2gb), and a 6 cell battery which gives me about 5 hours of use.

It was a refurbished machine and cost about $250 (150 pounds)

I am loving it.

I got it off of woot.com and have seen the deal come up one more time since I ordered mine. I would imagine that if you searched a little you could easily find it for less than 200 pound.

Don't get a Dell. Proprietary hardware is the devil.

please do not listen to this fool, i have every other type of computer and dell is the best. i know this type of stuff, im a computer wizz

I have a Dell 10v netbook, and it is working out well for me. My wife also has one and she loves hers. Dell definitely isn't the best money can buy, but in my experience (current netbooks plus several notebooks from a past life) they are not a bad option.

To the OP, you may want to look into buying a used/older notebook. Also keep in mind for 200 pounds your options are extremely limited.

there's endless supply of great Netbooks in yyour price range on Amazon UK, plus you get free shipping

here's a good one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Netbook-8-9-i...4835&sr=1-3

i have ACER desktop and laptop and never had a problem, great product, i'll never buy Dell, HP or Sony because of the proprietary attributes

@Turtle_Sask self proclaimed computer wiz or do you work for Dell? :(

Edited by t4e

Don't get a Dell. Proprietary hardware is the devil.

please do not listen to this fool, i have every other type of computer and dell is the best. i know this type of stuff, im a computer wizz

I have a Dell 10v netbook, and it is working out well for me. My wife also has one and she loves hers. Dell definitely isn't the best money can buy, but in my experience (current netbooks plus several notebooks from a past life) they are not a bad option.

To the OP, you may want to look into buying a used/older notebook. Also keep in mind for 200 pounds your options are extremely limited.

Dell's are terrible and I would not buy another one. They are ok starting out but overall they are made of cheap parts that will break and they are hardwired so that you cannot upgrade very much if, at all. You might be able to add a little RAM but thats about it. They do this so that you can not upgrade it long and you have to buy another. Gateways are the same. Newegg.com is the best site on the web for computer related purchases.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420, and I love it. I've had it for two years, and the warranty just ran out. I had some issues with it before the warranty expired, and Dell was great about getting it repaired. I shipped it to their Toronto repair centre, and had it back within three days.

They have some great little notebook computers now that are very small and portable. I think my next computer will be one of their cute little 10" ones.

I fix computers for a living. No one brand of computer is more likely to break than any other - its all relative to the number of each brands of computer out there. We have even had 'non-proprietory' computers in - however if bought through stores these tend to be full of cheap parts.

The true difference between computers is the combination of parts that have gone into it. Meaning, if you want a good fast computer you have to have the right motherboard, CPU, graphics card and RAM combo. Upping the RAM maybe cheap - but if the CPU is low spec, then the extra RAM can go to waste.

Moral of the story - buy quality.

I fix computers for a living. No one brand of computer is more likely to break than any other - its all relative to the number of each brands of computer out there. We have even had 'non-proprietory' computers in - however if bought through stores these tend to be full of cheap parts.

The true difference between computers is the combination of parts that have gone into it. Meaning, if you want a good fast computer you have to have the right motherboard, CPU, graphics card and RAM combo. Upping the RAM maybe cheap - but if the CPU is low spec, then the extra RAM can go to waste.

Moral of the story - build your own

Moral of the story - build your own

Good luck building your own netbook :(