A lovely well behaved dog

To present the other side of the coin to a recent thread I thought I'd relate an incident while out caching yesterday.

I was walking throung a wood when I noticed a collie type dog coming the other way. Some way behind it was its owner. When the owner saw me she called to the dog which immediately sat down and watched me. As I got nearer its tail was wagging rapidly but it never moved. The lady owner came up and apologised if the dog had worried me. I replied that I was delighted to see such a well behaved dog and gave it a good stroking. We parted with smiles and the dog trotted off happily.

So do not tar all dogs or dog owners with the same brush, many (most?) owners are responsible people and their dogs are well behaved.

Let's hear it for this majority. :(

Thanks to Neath Worthies for taking the time to make these comments as I've been watching with sadness the way the 'other' thread has developed :(

Most dog owners are responsible and we're more than happy to apologise if our dogs cause any upset to others. Admittedly Rufus is probably not quite as well trained as the dog just described but that's what his lead is for :P . That, a bag of treats, the ability to shout very loudly and a sharp eye for any potential hazards and walkies are generally uneventful yet enjoyable for us both :D

Thanks to Neath Worthies for taking the time to make these comments as I've been watching with sadness the way the 'other' thread has developed :(

Most dog owners are responsible and we're more than happy to apologise if our dogs cause any upset to others. Admittedly Rufus is probably not quite as well trained as the dog just described but that's what his lead is for :P . That, a bag of treats, the ability to shout very loudly and a sharp eye for any potential hazards and walkies are generally uneventful yet enjoyable for us both :D

I think if you read my original post in "the other thread", I did express both sides of the argument. I was asking for specific advice on what to do on that very very rare occasion when a dog isn't well behaved. We must meet hundreds (Thousands?) of dogs when out caching and this would of been the first one that's been worthy of comment.

Anyway - please lets keep this thread to express the positive side of dog ownership.

I have enjoyed seeing many geocaching dogs at events. They have all been friendly, 'under control' as necessary and it was a pleasure to meet them.

They include Sir Chester, Zeus , Trixie , Mary , Penny , Meg , Clova , Shakira, The Beast that Barks, Charlie and Merlin.

I've also met the lovely Ozzy the Flatcoat several times but as he keeps a low profile I don't have a link to his photo.

I know I've missed a few out but I'm sure others will contribute honorable mentions of other caching canines.

MrsB :(

I've also met the lovely Ozzy the Flatcoat several times but as he keeps a low profile I don't have a link to his photo.

The prospect of Ozzy ever being low profile is too much to take, hehe. He's over there <--------- in my profile pic :(

(photo added at request of Lucilla)

c3c43732-8bcd-4dde-8452-a29296e53e81.jpg

Edited by Stuey

Anyway - please lets keep this thread to express the positive side of dog ownership.

Another added benefit of having Rufus is that he keeps me warm at night, although I hasten to add he's not allowed to get under the duvet and he does sometimes howl in his sleep :( . But all in all he greatly enhances my life.

Has anyone else been savaged by Caesar? If his tail wagged much harder it could cause a serious injury :(

We have the same problem with Safie, our geohound. The teeth end isn't the issue but the tail can knock over tall buildings with one hit. :P

She is very handy if you ever want an area checked out for any food as she will search diligently to find some, although she never brings it over to show us. Except the odd leg of lamb she's found on a hillside! :D

The hunt goes on. :)

I was walking throung a wood when I noticed a collie type dog coming the other way. Some way behind it was its owner. When the owner saw me she called to the dog which immediately sat down and watched me. As I got nearer its tail was wagging rapidly but it never moved. The lady owner came up and apologised if the dog had worried me.

Have you woken up from your dream yet?

:(

We have the same problem with Safie, our geohound. The teeth end isn't the issue but the tail can knock over tall buildings with one hit. :(

Same with our Safie (Sapphire). She's got a fearsome bite if she ever chose to use it since she can snap half-inch thick branches in one go, but it's her tail you've got to watch!

Piccy below is of our Safie doing here usual, self-assigned caching task of selecting and carrying a suitable undergrowth-parting tool. FWIW, she's a natural beater who spots and follows geotrails well before they become obvious - and so often more accurately identifies GZ than does my GPSr!

3944865101_bc5aa5f7f0.jpg

Geoff

We cache with two geohounds who I hope others find well behaved, we always put them on leads when people approach although they are both more interested in finding caches then bothering other people. Check out our profile for pictures, i couldn't work out how to add the picture to this post. :(

Edited by Hiltay

And this one relates to dogs met when geocaching; or geocachers own dogs they take geocaching.

So I could start a thread about Ice Cream salesmen because I met one once whilst geocaching?

Please go ahead.... however, I suspect it will drop off the front page quickly due to lack of interest from other forum users :(

To be fair - I always look forward to the Ice Cream salesman in the car park near Coxs Tor.... Though I have some reservations about Willys Ice Cream...

To be honest, I'd love a thread where people recommended good ice-cream vans near worthwhile caches. For my twopennyworth, there's usually an ice-cream van during the season and good weekends at N50.357872 W4.265538, which has great views over Plymouth to Dartmoor and about a dozen scenic caches within three miles or so. However, I'm not sure whether this one's Kelly's or Willy's!

Geoff

We cache with two geohounds who I hope others find well behaved, we always put them on leads when people approach although they are both more interested in finding caches then bothering other people. Check out our profile for pictures, i couldn't work out how to add the picture to this post. :(

Here you go? :(

371cf773-5c12-42c6-9d54-2a11636216ce.jpg

Many thanks :(

To be fair - I always look forward to the Ice Cream salesman in the car park near Coxs Tor.... Though I have some reservations about Willys Ice Cream...

Me too... having climbed up that hill, studied it at great length looking for a cache (where the hint was very helpful - "it's under a rock") and then gotten back down I was very pleased to find that particular ice cream van.

And this one relates to dogs met when geocaching; or geocachers own dogs they take geocaching.

So I could start a thread about Ice Cream salesmen because I met one once whilst geocaching?

I think it's really handy to know where there are good cafes near geocaches.

Mustn't mention them - Groundspeak considers them "Commercial" and hence forbidden.

And as for old "Grumpy Pants", the thread was started by mentioning an event that happened while I was caching.

It would be lovely if posters to this topic could add pics of the geohounds that they mention, if possible,

MrsB :(

As requested:

1581b92f-43ae-406a-88c3-2883a722e309.jpg

This is Safie's "you want to give me that sandwich" look. Just a poor hungry dog - feed me!

Little old ladies on buses or trains can't resist the soft brown eyes and will often donate at least half their lunch! :mellow:

Despite her expertise with sandwiches, she isn't very good at finding sandwich boxes, aka caches! (on topic) :huh:

OK then, I reckon it's 50/50 dogs/ice cream vans.

Mods, can we have our own pinned threads, maybe another couple for grandkids, (grandparents even), cats?

If you have a photo of your grandkids/grandparents with their dog and cat, all eating ice-creams on their way to, or from, a cache then please post it so we can all enjoy it!

MrsB :mellow:

now i'm beginning to remember why i rarely bother to post on the forums...

this was one of the most enjoyable threads i've read for some time and i'm loving the pics but i'm quite quickly losing the will to post over the way everything has a downer put on it sooner or later :mellow:

Look... I'm enjoying the caching dog photos so just stick your pic on here, ignore the 'downers' and assume that as long as a Mod doesn't complain then all is well! :(

MrsB

now i'm beginning to remember why i rarely bother to post on the forums...

this was one of the most enjoyable threads i've read for some time and i'm loving the pics but i'm quite quickly losing the will to post over the way everything has a downer put on it sooner or later :mellow:

Well I'm not particularly a dog lover, but I'm enjoying seeing the pictures, so as Norman Stanley Fletcher used to say: "Don't let the b******s grind you down" and lets see the pics :(

Good dogs,

A while back now I met somone out hiking with a staffie, he had trained his dog to lie down every time somone approached.

A friend of mine has a collie who would be one of the best sheepdogs ever, if he had NOT been trained to ignore sheep. He's not keen on dogs, will generally leave them alone but he loves people, he has in fact helped a couple of people overcome their fears of dogs. Only problem is he loves giving people "kisses" Sadly he has been attacked a few times by dogs belonging "clueless" owners so that is not helping his confidance around other dogs.

My own dog, She is very bouncy, likes people and other dogs. When we adopted her she was very nervous so we did encouraged her lots, including encouraging her to jump up. She does jump up at people more often when she is on lead rather than off So am always ready to appologise if nessersary. She is on lead more often than not as our local park is very muddy and being mostly white I try to keep her reasonably clean.

My own dog, She is very bouncy, likes people and other dogs. When we adopted her she was very nervous so we did encouraged her lots, including encouraging her to jump up. She does jump up at people more often when she is on lead rather than off So am always ready to appologise if nessersary. She is on lead more often than not as our local park is very muddy and being mostly white I try to keep her reasonably clean.

Sorry, I find this really worrying. Your dog SHOULD NOT jump up at people, unless they want it to. Many people find this very frightening and a child, elderly or infirm person could topple over if your dog is any more than a small terrier. An apology, although welcome, doesn't counteract the problem.

I know this is off topic, but it does take us back to the original subject of the first thread. How would people feel if a child with me kicked a muddy football at them, it hit them and hurt? By all means enjoy your pet but don't inflict it on people who don't feel the same.

I am a well known in my local (see username) as a NOT dog lover. Once bitten ALWAYS wary type of thing.

If they (the dogs not he owners) totally ignore me then great, I can walk with them (both) all day, but just let them (dog or owner) jump up (just being friendly - (oh yeah, I'll believe you) get off you B*****d) then things take a turn for the worse.

Especially if he is ' bobby' the border collie or one of his ilk (I wonder if he's dead now as we last met in 1957, no I'm pretty sure he will get me one more time before I go, he's just biding his time)

Moving on I have found the best policy when meeting a strange dog is to hide behind the wife until we have assessed the situation (of both owner and canine - then - can I come out now).

Having said all of that (probably a new thread) I have recently read and can highly recommend the following books for both dog lovers and those of us who are NOT (and never will be).

Hound dog day : one dog and his man : a story of north country life and canine contentment / Harry Pearson.

Narrow dog to Carcassonne. / Darlington, Terry

Narrow dog to Indian River / Terry Darlington.

This is Safie's "you want to give me that sandwich" look. Just a poor hungry dog - feed me!

Little old ladies on buses or trains can't resist the soft brown eyes and will often donate at least half their lunch! :ph34r:

Despite her expertise with sandwiches, she isn't very good at finding sandwich boxes, aka caches! (on topic) :D

Our Conway has that look also, guaranteed to make treats fall from your pocket. If it smells like food, it is his.