The Great Garmin Rip-Off

DyverDown

You still don't get it do you? Garmin isn't offering the free update out of the goodness of their angelic hearts. They're doing it because customers demand it and they want to make their customers happy so they can sell more product. That's the only reason it's offered.

And their customers demand it because there is NO way for a typical customer to know (apart from brand new product releases, and not always then) what level of map is sitting on those units on the store shelf. Garmin (and TomTom and others) do NOT want to have to deal with stock rotation simply due to map age. The savvy customer would want to open up the box and power it up and find out what it is that they're buying. The retailers won't go there. Edited by ecanderson
What's more important? Taking care of a customer or making sure you stick to the letter of the contract?

Downloading the latest maps twice instead of once costs Garmin nothing...

ARE YOU SURE?

Quote Redwoods Mtn Biker:

"Garmin pays NAVTEQ a licensing fee for every update. I assume that the one free update deal is a result of an agreement between them and NAVTEQ. Lifetime maps (up to four new versions per year) have been on sale for as low as $79 recently."

NAVTEQ produces all the maps for the Nuvi line of GPSr, and Garmin lost the bidding war when they tried to acquire NAVTEQ. If Garmin had been successful in the acquisition, they would've more than likely made multiple updates available to new customers for a specified amount of time. Since NAVTEQ is a separate entity, Garmin has entered into new licensing agreements with NAVTEQ, and part of those agreements may allow for only 1 free download per customer during the first 60 days after registration.

If NAVTEQ has placed restrictions on Garmin for the number of free downloads that it may distribute, then Garmin is legally bound to follow those restrictions, or they could find themselves in a "Breach of Contract" lawsuit.

Edited by rocketsteve

In my opinion, if their policy keeps a brand new unit from having the latest maps, you shouldn't feel at all bad about returning it so you can have new maps. If they can stick to the letter of their update policy, you can stick to the letter of the retailers return policy, right.

I personally would go with a TomTom though.

Except it doesn't do that. The policy does give you the latest maps available at the time you bought the unit. You don't have a right to expect anything more than that.

Exactly. Since there are new maps out and my unit was less than a week old, I would not be satisfied with the unit and return it to the retailer. Most retailers have a satisfaction guarantee, and I would not be satisfied with the unit. Simple.

In my opinion, if their policy keeps a brand new unit from having the latest maps, you shouldn't feel at all bad about returning it so you can have new maps. If they can stick to the letter of their update policy, you can stick to the letter of the retailers return policy, right.

Except it doesn't do that. The policy does give you the latest maps available at the time you bought the unit. You don't have a right to expect anything more than that.

Exactly. Since there are new maps out and my unit was less than a week old, I would not be satisfied with the unit and return it to the retailer. Most retailers have a satisfaction guarantee, and I would not be satisfied with the unit. Simple.

How do the new maps affect the unit you already have? That's right, it doesn't. If the maps had come out 10 days later, would you still be dissatisfied? How about 20? 30? What's your cutoff point?

How do the new maps affect the unit you already have? That's right, it doesn't. If the maps had come out 10 days later, would you still be dissatisfied? How about 20? 30? What's your cutoff point?

It doesn't? Really? I look at a UNIT as everything that came in the box. Hardware, software, cables, everything. If I'm not satisfied with the software, I return it. I think 60 days would be a reasonable cutoff point in this instance. Let's say I bought a unit and didn't realize that the map installed didn't cover my town. I wouldn't have any problem returning that unit either. Maybe my standards are too high, but I feel if somebody wants my money for a product, it better meet my expectations. If it doesn't, I have absolutely no problem getting my money back. And having a GPS that's a month old with outdated maps certainly does not meet my expectations.

It doesn't? Really? I look at a UNIT as everything that came in the box. Hardware, software, cables, everything. If I'm not satisfied with the software, I return it. I think 60 days would be a reasonable cutoff point in this instance. Let's say I bought a unit and didn't realize that the map installed didn't cover my town. I wouldn't have any problem returning that unit either. Maybe my standards are too high, but I feel if somebody wants my money for a product, it better meet my expectations. If it doesn't, I have absolutely no problem getting my money back. And having a GPS that's a month old with outdated maps certainly does not meet my expectations.

And that's why businesses are instituting restocking fees. Thanks so much.

... and that's the spirit in which you get the "free map update" from Garmin. Saves them from having to print the map software version on the outside of the box, and deal with stale-dated items on the store shelves. It is as simple as that, nobody will buy a GPS today that comes with NEW! AUGUST 2003 MAPS!

As for returning the GPS to get an update after one month, that seems deceptively like those people that buy a barbecue in the summer, return it 'unsatisfied' in the fall, use that money to buy a snowblower that somehow gets returned in the spring, right around the time the store sells another barbecue ....

... and that's the spirit in which you get the "free map update" from Garmin. Saves them from having to print the map software version on the outside of the box, and deal with stale-dated items on the store shelves. It is as simple as that, nobody will buy a GPS today that comes with NEW! AUGUST 2003 MAPS!

As for returning the GPS to get an update after one month, that seems deceptively like those people that buy a barbecue in the summer, return it 'unsatisfied' in the fall, use that money to buy a snowblower that somehow gets returned in the spring, right around the time the store sells another barbecue ....

BS! If I buy a big screen TV from a place with a price guarantee, and a week later I see the TV on sale, I'll get the difference back or return the TV and buy it on sale. I guess you guys just say Aw-Shucks and go about your business, but I work for my money. If I'm not satisfied with the product, and a new update would satisfy me, I will return it per the retailers return policy. It's funny to me that the people defending Garmin for adhering to the update policy will blast me for adhering to the retailer's return policy. I guess I'm just not a stooge that will throw my money away. Sorry.

BS! If I buy a big screen TV from a place with a price guarantee, and a week later I see the TV on sale, I'll get the difference back or return the TV and buy it on sale. I guess you guys just say Aw-Shucks and go about your business, but I work for my money. If I'm not satisfied with the product, and a new update would satisfy me, I will return it per the retailers return policy. It's funny to me that the people defending Garmin for adhering to the update policy will blast me for adhering to the retailer's return policy. I guess I'm just not a stooge that will throw my money away. Sorry.

When you, and people with your mentality, have so completely abused a retailer’s return policy that most retailers start to institute a restocking fee, what will you do then? You say that will never happen? That’s what was said before Best Buy started their restocking fee, after outrageous abuses of their return policy.

Self-government only works with self-control. Best Buy is now governing over their customers because too many customers couldn’t exercise self-control. Actions have consequences, and unless you live in a hermetically-sealed bubble, you won’t be the only one to suffer the ramifications of your actions.

I can empathize with the OP, but not sympathize. I got a 765t at Christmas, tried to determine the update schedule/ current version from Garmin's site but could not.

At that point I decided to seek expert help, and hit these forums. Got this reply in another thread:

"QUOTE(Motorcycle_Mama @ Jan 7 2010, 03:10 PM) *

The update version of CNNA 2010.3 was released in November 2009.

For reference ...

2010.2 - July 2009

2010.1 - April 2009

2009.1 - January 2009

The updates haven't exactly been 'quarterly' on Garmin's part."

Seeing this, I figured I'd suck it up for a couple of months and watch the boards for signs of updates.

I can understand Garmin not posting an updating schedule- as they are dependent on NavTech for them... it would be nice, however, if they would let you know the version available for download so you can easily tell if they're getting close to posting upgrades.

When you, and people with your mentality, have so completely abused a retailer’s return policy that most retailers start to institute a restocking fee, what will you do then? You say that will never happen? That’s what was said before Best Buy started their restocking fee, after outrageous abuses of their return policy.

Self-government only works with self-control. Best Buy is now governing over their customers because too many customers couldn’t exercise self-control. Actions have consequences, and unless you live in a hermetically-sealed bubble, you won’t be the only one to suffer the ramifications of your actions.

That's rich. Retailer's institute satisfaction guaranteed policies to get customers, but the customers that actually use these policies are ruining the retail business. What a bunch of horse poop. Like I said, feel free to not buy products from companies who institute restocking fees. It's your money, spend it how you see fit. I certainly will. And if I'm not satisfied, I'll get it back.

That's rich. Retailer's institute satisfaction guaranteed policies to get customers, but the customers that actually use these policies are ruining the retail business. What a bunch of horse poop. Like I said, feel free to not buy products from companies who institute restocking fees. It's your money, spend it how you see fit. I certainly will. And if I'm not satisfied, I'll get it back.

Did I say ALL customers who return merchandise are the problem? I think not. I singled out those of a certain mentality, which, from my past experience working in retail, is a very small percentage of the overall customer base. It takes just a few bad apples to spoil the entire barrel.

Edited by rocketsteve

I didn't take the time to read all of the comments on this topic but I can understand some of the frustrations with Garmin. I have a GPSmap 60CSx and a Nuvi 255W. Right after Christmas I purchased a lifetime update for the 255W and it does not have a new road that was built 2 years ago in the new mapping nor does it have a restaurant that was opened withing the last year in it's POI. I splurged last Thursday and bought a Motorola Droid with Google maps. It has already a had it's first update and Google includes those items that Garmin hasn't included and much more. I have always been a huge defender of Garmin but after seeing they are so slow in keeping up with the new maps I will probably not be so supportive of them in the future.

Did I say ALL customers who return merchandise are the problem? I think not. I singled out those of a certain mentality, which, from my past experience working in retail, is a very small percentage of the overall customer base. It takes just a few bad apples to spoil the entire barrel.

I'm not sure I understand. Should I let the retailer decide whether or not I'm satisfied with a product? I don't understand what my mentality has to do with anything. Who should make the call as to whether or not I'm satisfied? I was under the impression it was my decision. REI has a 100% satisfaction gurantee on every product they sell. If I bought a GPS unit and just decided I didn't like it for whatever reason, I can return it. That makes me a bad apple or "of a certain mentality". Sounds an awful lot like more horse poop.

100% satisfaction guarantee means I can return it if not fully satisfied. Having a unit that's a week old that doesn't have the latest maps would not satisfy me. The end.

I'm not sure I understand. Should I let the retailer decide whether or not I'm satisfied with a product? I don't understand what my mentality has to do with anything. Who should make the call as to whether or not I'm satisfied? I was under the impression it was my decision. REI has a 100% satisfaction gurantee on every product they sell. If I bought a GPS unit and just decided I didn't like it for whatever reason, I can return it. That makes me a bad apple or "of a certain mentality". Sounds an awful lot like more horse poop.

100% satisfaction guarantee means I can return it if not fully satisfied. Having a unit that's a week old that doesn't have the latest maps would not satisfy me. The end.

Buying a product once, and deciding you don't like it is ok. It's the ones that repeat the behaviour too often that's causing companies like Best Buy to "fire" customers.

One mindset is "hey, my maps are too old, I'm gonna return it!" and the other mindset is, "hey, they've got a 90 day return policy, I'll just return my GPS every 90 days to keep the maps current!". A business that caters to the second type of customer is going to face financial problems. Garmin solved the first problem with the one time map update. Best Buy solved the second problem with restocking fees.

Best Buy solved the second problem with restocking fees.

Are you sure of that?

I bought something at Best Buy within the last month after asking the customer helper if the item was returnable.

When I determined that it did not meet my expectations,

I returned it without any restocking fee. :D

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Moderator's noteThis thread is veering way off track. Analyzing retail business models and problem customer behavior really isn't "GPS & related technology" and the sniping at each other is uncool. Please keep it contsructive and focused.

I think the actual original topic has about run its course, but I'll leave this open in case there's anything left to say on the subject of Garmin map updates.

I have another comment that may be of interest. I'd read previously about Garmin stopping the practice of mailing DVDs to people who complained that their pre-installed City Navigator needed to be on their PC as well as on their GPS, and telling them they needed to buy another copy.

I bought a Nuvi 765T on Dec 15 and decided to wait almost 60 days before updating it. Well, I just updated my 765T tonight and the maps were upgraded from 2010.10 to 2010.40, but more importantly, after the upgrade file was downloaded I was given the option of installing the Maps on my PC before updating the GPS maps. I haven't heard of this before - I presume it's a new feature.

However, when adding Mapsource to my PC it upgraded from my preferred V6.13.7 (for my custom maps) to V6.15.9 and all my maps still work. I've been reading on other Forums about problems with custom maps and the latest Mapsource, but it may be more related to newer Windows OS - I'm still on XP and all works fine (except the redraw is still too slow).

Seems to me that Garmin are going out of their way to improve their Customer Service. I've been a Garmin user for close to 10 years now and have always felt their service was excellent.

Bob

Previously owned: Etrex Legend, 60Cx, Nuvi 760, 60CSx, Nuvi 550, Nuvi 265T, Nuvi 765T

Currently own: Etrex Legend, 60Cx, 60CSx, Nuvi 765T

Edited by Bob Morphew

I'm really rather surprised that anyone would defend Garmin on this one. By the "only one update" way of thinking, it would be financially foolish to do any updates prior to the 60 day mark since waiting for the last day would be the only way to ensure that you got the most recent update possible for the device. In other words, the policy strongly encourages people to use the device for two full months WITHOUT the latest update, which is a ridiculous proposition for a mapping device.

The logical way to handle this would be to let people update the map as many times as there are updates for 60 days after purchase. The only thing that Garmin would possibly lose by doing this would be a few extra sales to the people who made the mistake of updating too early after getting the device -- in other words, the people who got stung by the incredibly unfriendly rule.

Companies should be held to higher customer service policies. I would have absolutely NO problem returing the device in this situation and getting a new one that could be updated. I wouldn't even be dishonest about it -- I would come right out and say that a new map update was available, but that due to the unreasonable Garmin rule I was not able to get it, which reduces the functionality of the device. If you're within your return/exchange window, I don't see any reason to deny this.

Larry

I read this as make it free and let them not make a profit. I could be wrong but developing and providing updates takes effort and resources which must be paid for somehow. Generally speaking, I think some geocachers are beginning to have the air of entitlement about them. :D

not at all. It sounds like a bought on Monday, update on Tuesday only to find out a new update is available Thursday.

Since I had this with my Garmin Nuvi also, and know of others with same story...sounds more like Garmin had a core update that spawned the ability for a second update. The core update was the freebie knowing full well it would spawn the second update that the customer would have to pay for...sounds more like a setup to me.

but doesn't matter, since units like Garmin will probably be dropping their prices as more people use Droids and similar coming out this spring that have not only FREE GPS and navigation, but constant free updates to go with them.

but doesn't matter, since units like Garmin will probably be dropping their prices as more people use Droids and similar coming out this spring that have not only FREE GPS and navigation, but constant free updates to go with them.

I'd say it's more likely that Garmin and the other manufacturers will either trim their product offerings, or go exclusively to a subscription pricing model. After all, those "constant free updates" are really costing the user $$$ every month in the form of a data plan. A data plan that doesn't work in the boonies, and works on a device nobody wants to bounce off a rock or splash in a creek, btw. And I'd expect the price of a dedicated "outdoor" GPSr to go up, not down, as the market contracts, but people realize their iPhone ain't cutting it as a GPS in the back country. After all, there are lots of other, cheaper cars, but Ferraris don't seem to be dropping in price to meet the market... :D

On Friday I purchased the update from Garmin International with a listed price of USD62.00. After I agrred to the purchase the price was then adjusted to AUD189.55 and a receipt issued. At the current exchange rate with was an increase of some AUD25.00, which coincidently matched the local purchase price. When I tried to get some answers from the vendor site they kept telling me that I would have to contact Garmin Australia regarding the issue. No GST was included in the receipt. It would appear that using alternative sites for updating from Garmin is not cost effective

The error in some of the logic here is astounding.

The two that seem really off course are the customer service and the OP original "it should be free for 60 days" thing.

As pointed out, you had one update available to you in 60 days and you knew that when you updated. It is what was agreed to by you and fulfilled by Garmin. The onus is on the customer to do their research. There is an abundance of software out there where you pay for each and every upgrade, so Garmin has gone above and beyond.

From the customer service standpoint, the one suggesting you return it if not satisfied, an argument can be made that the fact that you took the time to avail yourself of the free upgrade, you indicated you were satisfied. Further, that you are not returning it in sale-able condition (the one free upgrade has been used), which is often stipulated. Many times businesses will not return items, at least not for full purchase price, once the warranty cards have been sent in or a serialized item has been registered if there is no defect.

If you had purchased a unit on January 30th with a one free upgrade in 60 day policy and Garmin discontinued that policy for all purchasers after February 1, would you be complaining about only getting one free upgrade or thankful you got it? The sword swings both ways and it would only be consistant.

Garmin has done nothing because it was demanded. They have taken customer wishes, weighed them against the profitability of meeting those wishes and came up with a reasonable solution that satisfies all parties. The fact that there is a minuscule minority that think they should be "satisfied" no matter what is inevitable and will happen no matter what. If gGarmin were to offer free upgrades no matter what for sixty days, someone would be complaining because they are at 62 and 2 of those days were Thanksgiving and Christmass so they should not count.

I don't see what the big concern is.....I've cris-crossed the country using handhelds with 8 year old maps and have had few issues.....they have roads that my two Nuvi's ( one 2 years old and 1 less than a year ) don't....of course the Nuvi's have a few the handhelds don't.

I would not pay half the price of a new Nuvi for a map upgrade of little value.....in a few years, if need be ( I don't see it happening ) , I'll get another Nuvi.

Needless to say I didn't avail myself for the free upgrade on either unit.

To the Original Poster,

I'm sure someone has brought this up but did you actually call GARMIN on the phone?

You'll be amazed how helpful talking to them on the phone can be. They will probably want a receipt to prove your purchase date (which they should)

hope it works out.

I had a problem loading my free update and waited till I got a new computer. They knew I was having problems. When I said I was good to go they let me load it. It was about 6 months later. Most of the time they are great about things.

Thanks

Well in all honesty.. I am a little offended by you comment about an 'air of entitlement"...

I expect to be treated fairly and in MY opinion this is not. I completely offer, that this is entirely MY opinion and yours may vary, but to comment that I have an air of entitlement is a little lofty itself sir.

I believe (again opinion) that in this situation it would not be difficult, costly nor and other words to that effect for Garmin to offer the upgrade. I completely understand that they have to draw a line somewhere and I would expect this to be at the 60 day interval, or even the 30 day interval they offer the one free upgrade for.

Well if it's any consolation,the same thing happened to me,but, with tomtom.It always showed my map was up to date,but,I knew it wasn't.The catch is that you must have the latest version of map to continue with map updates.Now,to magellan,,They sent me an sd card with updated map ,no, questions asked.They all are good gps's,but,customer care is where they differ.

Interesting discussions, even more interesting interpretations of an individual's written expression. I bought a second Garmin GPS last year, updated immediately and never looked back. How much do the maps really change between versions? I've had no problems with the lane changes. I have, however, had problems negotiating in and about high-rise buildings. It seems my Garmin gets stuck on "Recalculating" in those areas. That is why I always carry my bride with me. She can read a map. Anyone who relies entirely on an electronic device to navigate through traffic is at risk for being in-- or creating an --accident. The same goes for negotiating in the woods with an electronic device; take a backup--take a map!

Couldn't be much worse then Navteks, parts of Canada are missing roads that have been in existance for more then 5 years and are present on google maps.

They are NavTeqs. That is where Garmin (and almost every gps system in the US) gets their maps.

As to updates I do fine with my 2010 maps which were loaded in late 2009. Things don't change that much.

If you want the latest maps use a system that downloads maps as you like Google Maps on phones.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Adding to the GREAT GARMIN RIPOFF - I have a nuvi 1390T The current exchange rate is $AUD1 = $US0.96, yet on the website the map I wanted to download is 69.99USD, but when I go to purchase the map, I am told $AUD99. Now that is a great ripoff in anyone's language. GARMIN I am tempted to turf you altogether and go elsewhere with another brand that treats me as a sensible citizen, not a wanker waiting to be ripped off.

George Stamell

In defense of Garmin, they have been pretty good to me recently. I bought a copy of City Navigator 2011 for the Oregon 450 I bought from Amazon. I got disillusioned with the problems the 450 had and returned it to Amazon for a refund. Normally that would mean (or so I thought) that I would be unable to install that map on another Garmin device.

I opened a support case with them and explained it to them. They responded that if I would provide them with proof I had returned the 450, they would deactivate the map and when I bought another Garmin unit I would be able to transfer the map to it.

I sent them a copy of Amazon's email confirming the return and they set up the map transfer on the mygarmin site.

So I bought a GPSMap 60csx from REI. Sure enough, when I logged into "my Garmin", it prompted me to register my new device, and it transferred the key to the 60csx.

A few days later REI put the 62S on sale for a super price. Once again, I returned the 60csx and this time bought the 62S. I emailed Garmin again and explained again, and again they responded that they could transfer the map (and my Birdseye subscription too) to the 62S upon receiving proof of the exchange.

This time I only had paper receipts showing the exchange, so Garmin asked that I fax them the receipts. I did so and they transferred the map again and the Birdseye subscription too. I am now using that CN and Birdseye on the third unit (the 62S).

So, it seems they will be reasonable about the policy as long as you can assure them that the map is only being used on one unit at a time.

Well after reading the Garmin policy on map upgrading (I'll admit I did not the first time), and some posters suggesting that a lifetime upgrade is the way to go, I find it interesting that their "lifetime is when Garmin decides to end the product, so you could in theory also pay for the lifetime updates and they end the 765t thus ending you upgrade path as well.

I am not whining that I have to pay for something, nor feel some sort of entitlement as some are suggesting. I bought a mapping device - that is ALL it is for, so I would expect that I would be able to get the latest maps available from the company at the time. I understand they want to make money to repay their costs for updating them, but at the same time, they do not discount the GPS when I buy it and it has one year old maps on it. Instead it is up to me to have to update them.. ok, fine... they offer this service free as long as I provide all the necessary technology and connection fees (internet) to do so. Now, they give me 60 days from initial activation to do this. I did this after 2 days (why would I buy a product, know there is a better set of maps available and wait to update them?) Sound ridiculous doesn't it? Soo.. when a newer version of the maps is released (the reason I bought this thing) 2 days after i update the maps in it and I have 60 days to update it.. it would seem reasonable to me that I would be eligible to also receive those maps as well... at least to me...

That is my complaint.

DD

Nuts to what everyone else says.. this is just a cash grab on their part. You don't have to be happy about it.

Seriously, return the unit.. buy it again, then get the update.

That isn't dishonest, that is working a system that isn't working for you currently.

btw, no one reads those boiler plate documents.

Shaun

Garmin is good when you tell them what is going on. I bought a Nuvi 500 and went for my free update. It did not work and I forgot about it. 7 months later and a new laptop, I found out I forgot about the update and contacted them. They checked and gave me a week to update my Nuvi. You have to contact them and tell them what is going on, if not they do not know and then how can they help?

Thanks

Nuts to what everyone else says.. this is just a cash grab on their part. You don't have to be happy about it.

Having Garmin give you a free map update is a cash grab? :unsure:

Seriously, return the unit.. buy it again, then get the update.

That isn't dishonest, that is working a system that isn't working for you currently.

And then when a newer update comes out for the unit you got in return? Then what? Return it again?

I've always said "Whoever says the customer is always right has never dealt with some of them." and this proves it.

btw, no one reads those boiler plate documents.

When I bought my 265WT, the "one free map update within 60 days" was not buried in some boiler plate document or 12-page EULA. It was very clearly explained in plain English what I was getting and what the terms were.

It's been well over a year since the original post and my position hasn't changed -- the OP has nothing to complain about.