The Great Garmin Rip-Off

DyverDown

:P

Get this: Two days ago I activated my NEW Garmin NUVI 765t and download the updated maps that were on (ver .30). Today I find out a new version has been released, so I go online to download it and discover I will have to pay 69 bucks to update my maps to ver .40 ....

Now, I dunno about you, but 69 bucks for an update seems a little steep seeing as these maps have been updated after only 2 days.

Not to be disillusioned, I contacted Garmin and though they would give me the benefit of the doubt and spoke with a customer service person who politely informed me I was not eligible for the upgrade.

Hmmm.. well, I'll try an email.... same net result... pay us some cash.

I replied that I was rather dissatisfied and that if I was a person of lesser scruples I would return the unit to the store I bought it at, lie and say it was defective, get a replacement, activate it and download the new maps for FREE.

I guess I am just venting here and looking for a sounding board... am I being obtuse or is Garmin giving me the shaft?

If I remember correctly, when I bought my Nuvi last summer I was entitled to one free map update. From your post, it appears that you have already downloaded the free update. It would have been a nice gesture on their part to let you download the newest version since you just bought the unit, but they didn't have to do so. I believe you can get lifetime updates for a rather small cost ... maybe $99? I really don't remember. Also, I wonder how much really changed from the version you have compared to the newest version.

If you're really upset, take it back to where you purchased it.

https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm

Guarantee applies to one Garmin nüvi or zūmo unit. Not transferable to any other person or product. You will qualify for the free map update only if (i) you register your nüvi or zūmo online at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device, and (ii) a newer version of the map data was or becomes available for purchase from Garmin’s website at any time up to 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. You will not qualify for the free map update if you register your nüvi or zūmo with Garmin by telephone or more than 60 days after first acquiring satellites while driving with your device. Limit of one free map update per unit.

I'm really rather surprised that anyone would defend Garmin on this one. By the "only one update" way of thinking, it would be financially foolish to do any updates prior to the 60 day mark since waiting for the last day would be the only way to ensure that you got the most recent update possible for the device. In other words, the policy strongly encourages people to use the device for two full months WITHOUT the latest update, which is a ridiculous proposition for a mapping device.

The logical way to handle this would be to let people update the map as many times as there are updates for 60 days after purchase. The only thing that Garmin would possibly lose by doing this would be a few extra sales to the people who made the mistake of updating too early after getting the device -- in other words, the people who got stung by the incredibly unfriendly rule.

Companies should be held to higher customer service policies. I would have absolutely NO problem returing the device in this situation and getting a new one that could be updated. I wouldn't even be dishonest about it -- I would come right out and say that a new map update was available, but that due to the unreasonable Garmin rule I was not able to get it, which reduces the functionality of the device. If you're within your return/exchange window, I don't see any reason to deny this.

Larry

I'm really rather surprised that anyone would defend Garmin on this one. By the "only one update" way of thinking, it would be financially foolish to do any updates prior to the 60 day mark since waiting for the last day would be the only way to ensure that you got the most recent update possible for the device. In other words, the policy strongly encourages people to use the device for two full months WITHOUT the latest update, which is a ridiculous proposition for a mapping device.

The logical way to handle this would be to let people update the map as many times as there are updates for 60 days after purchase. The only thing that Garmin would possibly lose by doing this would be a few extra sales to the people who made the mistake of updating too early after getting the device -- in other words, the people who got stung by the incredibly unfriendly rule.

Companies should be held to higher customer service policies. I would have absolutely NO problem returing the device in this situation and getting a new one that could be updated. I wouldn't even be dishonest about it -- I would come right out and say that a new map update was available, but that due to the unreasonable Garmin rule I was not able to get it, which reduces the functionality of the device. If you're within your return/exchange window, I don't see any reason to deny this.

Larry

I read this as make it free and let them not make a profit. I could be wrong but developing and providing updates takes effort and resources which must be paid for somehow. Generally speaking, I think some geocachers are beginning to have the air of entitlement about them. :(

Does anyone know is the Lane Assists for the 765T are updated through the map updates? I just got a 765T and updated right away. I"m not too concern about street changiong in 60 days. But the Lane Assist is kinda sparse at this time and I imagine these might have the biggest changes over the nearest future.

Any inside info on this?

Larry

I read this as make it free and let them not make a profit. I could be wrong but developing and providing updates takes effort and resources which must be paid for somehow. Generally speaking, I think some geocachers are beginning to have the air of entitlement about them. :(

i agree 100% on this one. did garmin deceive in any way? no. did they not give you something they said they would? no. it was just bad timing, get over it.

A couple of points here. Garmin pays NAVTEQ a licensing fee for every update. I assume that the one free update deal is a result of an agreement between them and NAVTEQ. Lifetime maps (up to four new versions per year) have been on sale for as low as $79 recently.

And though OT, I'll add that lane assist / junction view coverage is indeed very sparse. Don't know when that will change.

:(

Get this: Two days ago I activated my NEW Garmin NUVI 765t and download the updated maps that were on (ver .30). Today I find out a new version has been released, so I go online to download it and discover I will have to pay 69 bucks to update my maps to ver .40 ....

Now, I dunno about you, but 69 bucks for an update seems a little steep seeing as these maps have been updated after only 2 days.

Not to be disillusioned, I contacted Garmin and though they would give me the benefit of the doubt and spoke with a customer service person who politely informed me I was not eligible for the upgrade.

I replied that I was rather dissatisfied and that if I was a person of lesser scruples I would return the unit to the store I bought it at, lie and say it was defective, get a replacement, activate it and download the new maps for FREE.

I guess I am just venting here and looking for a sounding board... am I being obtuse or is Garmin giving me the shaft?

Don't feel bad I had the same thing happen when I bought my 855. I updated mine to the 2010.2 maps and less then a week later they came out with 2010.3 . It's my own fault for not reading the update rules. I just assumed there would be unlimited updates for 60 days. There is a simple enough solution, when and if I buy another GPS I'll wait until about day 55 to update.

You're being obtuse.

Every time you buy any piece of computing hardware or software (and that's all your GPS is), there's an update coming out pretty soon. Sometimes it happens a few months afterwards, sometimes it hapens before you get home from the store. If you return/exchange your nuvi to get that newer sets of maps -- you'll be looking at the same issue in 60 days anyhow.

So... stop worrying about if Garmin is trying to make money (they are) and just look for ways to get the most use out of your device and the most for your money. Lifetime maps updates http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/maps/numaps-lifetime have already been suggested -- if you think you're going to have the gadget for at least 2 update cycles thenthat's probably the best way to go.

But don't blame me if you get the lifetime update package at a "good price" and they drop the price a week later. That happens too :(

.... Generally speaking, I think some geocachers are beginning to have the air of entitlement about them.
Some, sure. But "generally speaking" fuzzes what you're saying.

In any large group, there's gonna be some distribution of smart and patient vs uninformed vs just plain annoying folks. Out of nearly 3 million registered users and the several thousand who figured out how to use the forums (and the small handful of freqeuent posters), I don't think the percentages here are any worse than the world at large.

If you think someone grousing about product upgrades are bad, go wander over that thread about the WinMo app. You'll find a handful of whingers comparing GC.com to the worst of communist dictators -- because their favorite cellphone app stopped working.

By comparison, I'd like to buy the OP here a drink and sympathetically listen to his complaints about upgrade costs.

Well after reading the Garmin policy on map upgrading (I'll admit I did not the first time), and some posters suggesting that a lifetime upgrade is the way to go, I find it interesting that their "lifetime is when Garmin decides to end the product, so you could in theory also pay for the lifetime updates and they end the 765t thus ending you upgrade path as well.

I am not whining that I have to pay for something, nor feel some sort of entitlement as some are suggesting. I bought a mapping device - that is ALL it is for, so I would expect that I would be able to get the latest maps available from the company at the time. I understand they want to make money to repay their costs for updating them, but at the same time, they do not discount the GPS when I buy it and it has one year old maps on it. Instead it is up to me to have to update them.. ok, fine... they offer this service free as long as I provide all the necessary technology and connection fees (internet) to do so. Now, they give me 60 days from initial activation to do this. I did this after 2 days (why would I buy a product, know there is a better set of maps available and wait to update them?) Sound ridiculous doesn't it? Soo.. when a newer version of the maps is released (the reason I bought this thing) 2 days after i update the maps in it and I have 60 days to update it.. it would seem reasonable to me that I would be eligible to also receive those maps as well... at least to me...

That is my complaint.

DD

DyverDown, I do understand your frustration -- but it happens ALL the time with EVERY product in this broad category. Garmin isn't out to rip off you or anyone else. To stay in business they have to have a set way oif charging for products, and they have to draw some lines somewhere. You just had unfortunate timing and took your free upgrade on the wrong side of the line.

Would you be any more or less upset if the update came out 61 days after your free download? That you only had the product for two months and they wanted an upgrade fee?

Edited by lee_rimar

Well after reading the Garmin policy on map upgrading (I'll admit I did not the first time), and some posters suggesting that a lifetime upgrade is the way to go, I find it interesting that their "lifetime is when Garmin decides to end the product, so you could in theory also pay for the lifetime updates and they end the 765t thus ending you upgrade path as well.

Garmin continues to support (and offer map updates) after discontinuing older units.

What's the big deal? The update you downloaded was FREE!

My situation...I'm using a Nuvi 200W and a Colorado 400t.

- the Nuvi has the original maps (unit was purchased Dec 2008)

- the Colorado has City Navigator North America 2008 (from DVD) loaded on it

Both of these get me where I'm going. Yes, from time to time I find a road that isn't on their map or a rare error where they have a road that doesn't exist anymore. However, the majority of the errors I see are with POIs, not the roads.

The FREE update options weren't available when I purchased the Nuvi or I would have updated. But I know I don't need quarterly updates on my maps. Heck, I haven't even purchased annual updates.

The GPS doesn't stop working because you don't have the latest maps...does it?

Have you talked to Garmin about this?

Have you talked to Garmin about this?

Well, yes. Garmin was talked to. From the OP:

If another call goes to a different representitive might there be a different answer? I don't know. I have read reports here where Garmin went far above and beyond for some customers on some products. My only experience is that they wanted the full repair price from me for an out of warranty defective rocker switch. If you catch the right person on the right day you might get lucky. I didn't.

I understand they want to make money to repay their costs for updating them, but at the same time, they do not discount the GPS when I buy it and it has one year old maps on it.

I don't know about you but my 765t was heavily discounted when I bought it in mid Dec '09. It was a couple day sell at Best Buy for $149, it then went up to $199. Both prices are well under the list of $349. I haven't registed the unit yet. First I was waiting for the 30 day return policy of Best Buy to see if I liked it. And now it looks like with a recent map update it would be a good time to do so. It currently has 2010.1. I admit I was waiting for the 60 days.

.... Generally speaking, I think some geocachers are beginning to have the air of entitlement about them.
Some, sure. But "generally speaking" fuzzes what you're saying.

In any large group, there's gonna be some distribution of smart and patient vs uninformed vs just plain annoying folks. Out of nearly 3 million registered users and the several thousand who figured out how to use the forums (and the small handful of freqeuent posters), I don't think the percentages here are any worse than the world at large.

If you think someone grousing about product upgrades are bad, go wander over that thread about the WinMo app. You'll find a handful of whingers comparing GC.com to the worst of communist dictators -- because their favorite cellphone app stopped working.

By comparison, I'd like to buy the OP here a drink and sympathetically listen to his complaints about upgrade costs.

Yah it does fuzz it a bit. So I'll be precise here. The OP has an air of entitlement to him. And to add to that, I have been seeing it in other threads as well as other forums. Specifically speaking, the most complainers in each thread are geocachers.

Well in all honesty.. I am a little offended by you comment about an 'air of entitlement"...

I expect to be treated fairly and in MY opinion this is not. I completely offer, that this is entirely MY opinion and yours may vary, but to comment that I have an air of entitlement is a little lofty itself sir.

I believe (again opinion) that in this situation it would not be difficult, costly nor and other words to that effect for Garmin to offer the upgrade. I completely understand that they have to draw a line somewhere and I would expect this to be at the 60 day interval, or even the 30 day interval they offer the one free upgrade for.

Well in all honesty.. I am a little offended by you comment about an 'air of entitlement"...

I expect to be treated fairly and in MY opinion this is not. I completely offer, that this is entirely MY opinion and yours may vary, but to comment that I have an air of entitlement is a little lofty itself sir.

I believe (again opinion) that in this situation it would not be difficult, costly nor and other words to that effect for Garmin to offer the upgrade. I completely understand that they have to draw a line somewhere and I would expect this to be at the 60 day interval, or even the 30 day interval they offer the one free upgrade for.

Regardless if Garmin agrees with you or not, the one you need the agreement from is Naveteq. They, after all, are the ones holding the intellectual rights to the maps.

Garmin continues to support (and offer map updates) after discontinuing older units.

Rich, isn't the "product" City Navigator and not the nüvi model???

As I understood it, DyverDown was concerned that he might not be able to get map updates if the nuvi 765T was discontinued. But hey, I've misinterpreted things before!

I think your interpretation may be correct, just wondering about others' interpretations as I didn't know. Edited by coggins

More likely than not, the issue is the limits NAVTEQ has placed on Garmin regarding distribution of the maps.

Be nice, please.

You won't get far with Navteq. You're (probably) not Navteq's customer. You're Garmin's customer and Garmin is Navteq's customer. See how far you get with the maker of the battery in your phone instead of the company that sold you your phone, for example.

It wasn't that long ago that Garmin included no map upgrades at all; what was in the box is what you got. So the free single upgrade in the first 60 days surely took a lot of pressure off retailers about "stale" units and was a nice upgrade to most that read all of the NuMaps offer and not just part of it.

You have one bullet to spend in the first 60 days. In the time Garmin has done this, their quarterly updates have been happening a couple of weeks into the first month of the calendar quarter, but I wouldn't buy a product computing the time-line backward counting on that.

The OP got exactly what Garmin promised, even if it's not what was wanted. I'm not seeing it as a rip-off at all.

As I understood it, DyverDown was concerned that he might not be able to get map updates if the nuvi 765T was discontinued. But hey, I've misinterpreted things before!

I think your interpretation may be correct, just wondering about others' interpretations as I didn't know.

I think the interpretation is wrong. I own a nuvi 750, which is no longer in production. My nuMaps update is working fine.

I think your interpretation may be correct, just wondering about others' interpretations as I didn't know.

I think the interpretation is wrong. I own a nuvi 750, which is no longer in production. My nuMaps update is working fine.

Thank for clearing that up, that's how I had interpreted it. I think the nüMap Lifetime program looks like a good deal for the right person.

In all honesty, I was called out (cringe when that happens) to be less fuzzy so I became more specific in my opinion. You were treated fairly per the upgrade guidelines you agreed to upon downloading the upgrade. That, sir, is my opinion.

In all honesty, I was called out (cringe when that happens) to be less fuzzy so I became more specific in my opinion. You were treated fairly per the upgrade guidelines you agreed to upon downloading the upgrade. That, sir, is my opinion.

Boy, it sure is nice to be rich and not have to worry about whether my non-necessities of life, or hobby stuff, should be free or not. :(

Not to worry, TL, it's part of the game - when they want to whack you, they'll whack, regardless.

When I posted it 25 words or less, I got whacked for "overgeneralizing."

When I overcompensated with 15 numbered lines in organizational perfection, I got whacked for being to "verbose."

But here is the good news, TL, the reason that one gets whacked, is that they don't agree, but can't counter with reason and facts.

OP> You got your one upgrade so Garmin upheld their end. Lousy timing was on your end and that sucks. Buck up cowboy.

As far as cachers feeling somewhat entitled I am guilty of that as of late. Kinda got my knickers twisted about DeLorme's 2.8 Firmware upgrade for the PN-30/40 series and the POSSIBILITY of having to pay for the upgrade.

That has yet to be determined and I jumped the gun and posted my opinion before I thought it thru clearly. I have since changed my opinion on it and will pay for the improvements I will receive from it.

I paid for MapSend DirectRoute for my Magellan Meridian when it came out and just a few weeks ago paid for a map update for my Nuvi 205W. Didn't complain about either of those so I haven't the right to bark at DeLorme.

With the latest numaps update I got lucky. My numaps onetime card arrived the day 2010.40 came out. Had it came a day earlier I would have gotten 2010.30 and been SOL because I chose when to do the update, Garmin didn't tell me when to do it. That would have been my onetime update that I paid for...

Just a hampsters 2 cents worth.

You have one bullet to spend in the first 60 days.

The OP got exactly what Garmin promised, even if it's not what was wanted. I'm not seeing it as a rip-off at all.

I'm in complete agreement. In an earlier post, the OP stated that he didn't read parts of the agreement from Garmin, so Garmin is NOT at fault. If the OP had read the entire agreement prior to downloading the update, he could have decided whether or not Gamin's "1 Free Update" policy was palatable, and if it wasn't, he could have returned the Nuvi and gotten something else. The OP's failure to fully read the agreement from Garmin doesn't entitle him to any special consideration when the newer sofware version is posted on Garmin's website 2 days after he updates his Nuvi with the older software version. Garmin is following the terms of their agreement, and for that, I can find no fault.

You're being obtuse.

FWIW, my opinion is that the onetime upgrade is 'good' customer service as it permits folks to get current maps very near the beginning of their use of the units. Remember the units might likely have been manufactured a long time before you bought it. They're doing you a favor by letting you get current. They didn't have to do that at all.

I updated my new Nuvi just a couple days before you. I wasn't in the least bit offended nor feeling 'taken' when I saw the next upgrade was available a couple days after I upgraded. I clicked ok knowing and agreeing to the terms and conditions. Wasn't the least bit offended. I don't need to be 'that' current.

Garmin does not own the maps. They pay a rather large license fee to Navtech for every map update that they send out. NavTECH tightened up their policy a while back and Garmin was forced to follow or be sued and possibly lose their supplier.

It should be noted that Garmin tried to buy Navtech to get around this problem and was outbid by the folks at another company... I believe it was Nokia, but my memory may be failing me there. It was shortly after the NavTECH takeover that the licensing was tightened up

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

That's been my experience too. I have a very old, long since discontinued Garmin StreetPilot that I've been able to update every 2 or 3 years. I just updated the maps last summer. I probably should have just purchased the lifetime updates a few years ago but I had no idea that this unit would last as long as it currently is.

I also currently use a very old version of Garmin's TOPO software for my handhelds. I've never bothered to upgrade because contour lines don't tend to change frequently and the old version isn't locked to a single device.

Garmin does not own the maps. They pay a rather large license fee to Navtech for every map update that they send out. NavTECH tightened up their policy a while back and Garmin was forced to follow or be sued and possibly lose their supplier.

It should be noted that Garmin tried to buy Navtech to get around this problem and was outbid by the folks at another company... I believe it was Nokia, but my memory may be failing me there. It was shortly after the NavTECH takeover that the licensing was tightened up

You spelled NavTeq wrong, but the Nokia reference yielded a very interesting article when I searched "Navteq Nokia", thanks.

Weapons of Map Disruption: How Google Is Crushing Nokia's NavTeq

Edited by John E Cache