travel bug hotel

i want to get some opinions about a travel bug hotel. in my area there are not a lot of travel bug drop offs. most of them here are micros. i'm even wanting to hide some caches that are big just so they can have swag and trackables. so i was thinking of putting a bug hotel in my yard. not hidden per say, kinda obvious. i was reading the forum on what people thought of caches in front yards and a lot of ppl don't care for them too much. so, what's the thought on this hotel? how do they work exactly? since i'm from a sorta small town ( gotta throw the john mellencamp song 'smalltown' pun ) would it be worth it? thanks for any input.

Put one in your yard if you like. I'd go find it.

But anyway, the only difference between a TB Hotel and just a Regular sized cache is the word "Hotel" in the cache name. Just put out a regular sized cache. No reason to call it a "hotel". All that does is notify thieves that there could lots of TB's and GC's for them to steal.

Edited by simpjkee

Hello.....most TB hotels are placed just like a reall hotel would likely be placed.....near the highway or Interstate. One popular here is just outside of the D/FW airport. I've dropped off many travelers over there.

How small is your town? Does it have a lot of tourists? Weekenders? What's the draw? Have a lot of cachers in your area? I wouldn't want to place one if they became stagnant and didn't move. Other than that, I think you'll be OK!

We have a travel bug hospital in our yard. Its pretty much the same thing as a hotel. We only called it a hospital because our house was a hospital way back in the old days. GC1WW3Q. Pretty much it is just a regular to large sized cache but if you put travel bug hotel on it then it is more likely that people will come just for it being a travel bug hotel. You don't have to do anything for it just maintain it like you do other caches. We have a tag that says that the bug was inspected by the doctors of the georockin the geocache hospital (which is our family, no nurses or doctors involved.) that we place on the chain of the travel bug. So really its all in the name. Its alot of fun to have a cache in your yard because you know when someone comes. Its fun to glance out your window and someone is appreciating your cache that you placed. My opinion is go for it. Just tell your neighbors that you have it in your yard so they know what is going on.

Edited by ThomasFamily102

Hello.....most TB hotels are placed just like a reall hotel would likely be placed.....near the highway or Interstate. One popular here is just outside of the D/FW airport. I've dropped off many travelers over there.

How small is your town? Does it have a lot of tourists? Weekenders? What's the draw? Have a lot of cachers in your area? I wouldn't want to place one if they became stagnant and didn't move. Other than that, I think you'll be OK!

lets just say that there are about 13 "in town caches" and i'm close to a forestry but from what i can tell no one drops off TB's around here. we have tourist in the summer and fall but that's about it. i'm hoping that if i get a hotel or something like it, it would attract more cachers.

lets just say that there are about 13 "in town caches" and i'm close to a forestry but from what i can tell no one drops off TB's around here. we have tourist in the summer and fall but that's about it. i'm hoping that if i get a hotel or something like it, it would attract more cachers.

Then I would suggest placing more caches instead of a hotel. I wouldn't travel very far to visit a TB Hotel unless I was actually traveling but I WOULD drive, and have driven, 60 miles to make a 68 cache series around a lake! ;)

The bug hotel that we have is in a bird feeder attatched to a tree. We also went to one that it was a larger ammo can on someones front porch. The one on the front porch is iffy because if someone was robbing the house they wouldn't take time to see what was inside so they would take it. But if you do something like hide it in a bird feeder than it would be fine!

yeah, the more i thought about it, i'm not sure if i'd want the responsibility of the Tb's goin missing. so i guess i'll stick with placing more caches. thanks for everyone's advice!

Well, I hope we didn't discourage you from trying. I dump 8-10 TB's at a time in an ammo can when I run across one (lot's of micros lately around here). This game is for you to have fun as well. Don't let it cost you any sleep......other than going for FTF's!!! ;)

Put one in your yard if you like. I'd go find it.All that does is notify thieves that there could lots of TB's and GC's for them to steal.

I think the caches inventory would do that anyway.

At least it makes things harder. Thieves have to look through dozens of pages rather than just looking for the word "hotel" in the title.

I don't care for these hotels. For them to be useful they need to be easily accessible. Easily accessible caches are more likely to go missing, If a TB hotel goes missing a lot of coins and TBs can go missing with it.

I'm with you. Too, too often TB Hotels just invite raids where several TBs go missing. It just makes it easier for the Dark Side cachers to steal the goods. Please don't add to count! Thanks. :P

I don't care for these hotels. For them to be useful they need to be easily accessible. Easily accessible caches are more likely to go missing, If a TB hotel goes missing a lot of coins and TBs can go missing with it.

I'm with you. Too, too often TB Hotels just invite raids where several TBs go missing. It just makes it easier for the Dark Side cachers to steal the goods. Please don't add to count! Thanks. :P

Travelbug Hotels need to be well hidden, yet accessible. Putting an ammo can under a tree just off the beaten path is a bad idea. But having a large log hollowed out on the bottom to cover it, it just might make it.

Someone placed a TB hotel near where I live and it went missing quite fast. Be sure not to place one where there's a lot of litter, because people may come through cleaning up and they don't know a cache from trash.

Remember, no trade restrictions. The point of a hotel is to help bugs move along.

Supposedly, the reviewers are no longer publishing TB Hotels with trade restrictions. I still see lot's of 'em though. Maybe their all changing the cache pages after publication. :ph34r:

If we have something to drop off, we will, but if a cache is not active and it has bugs that have been there for a long time, we'll take the bugs to move, even if the cache page warns of keeping a certain number in there. :P

If the cache is active with lots of trades going on, we'll always leave some bugs in there for others to take.