Caches placed in a yard/lawn/driveway - IS IT CREEPY?

WHO-DEY

Note The exception for me would be TAR's front yard cache. He's someone I would love to meet.

Since we both brought his up and I think it's the perfect example of the right way to do it, I'm going to post this link to the cache:

Irondale Pit Stop TB Hotel: GC14B0Z

I'm not faulting anybody that doesn't feel comfortable doing these knds of caches. I think any cacher should pass on any cache that makes them feel uncomfortable.

Since we both brought his up and I think it's the perfect example of the right way to do it, I'm going to post this link to the cache:

Irondale Pit Stop TB Hotel: GC14B0Z

That IMO is the correct way way to do it. You may also want to include your full name.

That way in case the former police officer who lives across the street who pulls a gun on you and is demanding why the blank you are poking around the property.

Now at least you have a contact and contact information.

the folk down the road from me did a front yard cach last summer

I didnt have my gps on me at the time but by the title I knew right where it was

in a big pot in the middle of their landscaping only about 2 feet off the sidewalk

I didnt want to find it because I didnt want to step in the mulch, and was walking away when they saw me called me back to get the cach.

I have found 1 other were I had to step into the mulch at a church. I didnt feel comfortable doing that one either, but figured its new mulch the cover stone is above the mulch the landscaper must know it is there, so I grabbed it

If you can reach it from the sidewalk or without disturbing the landscaping cool but otherwise I would ignore it

just my own personal rule of thumb

We have a cache placed in our yard. GC1WW3Q. We live in the middle of the city in

We like caches located on someones property because chances are that those caches are kept nice

I read the postings here and couldn’t help but think there are valid points on all sides. But then I guess that’s frequently the case isn’t it? However, the more I read, and thought about, the concept of a TB Hospital the better I liked it. Then I pulled up the cache page and let me say that is nice with a capital NICE. The concept is/was new to me. Maybe not to some of you long term folks, but it was to me. Which all led me to think of possibly doing something like myself somewhere down the line. I certainly have the space. I’m sitting on two and a piece building lots in town on a main street. I’d like to pursue the thought separately on another thread.

I guess the concept of a cache in a yard is a personal one. And if it’s spelled out nice and clear in the description on the cache page so there’s no “fuzziness” of the part of the seeker there shouldn’t be a problem. Just my opinion.

I too, find it creepy. I have decided that I will not look for caches hidden at someones home. I just don't feel right about it. I have a terrible fear that my gps would be off the mark and I would be looking at the wrong place and someone would call the cops on me. There are to many other fun places to look. I wish people wouldn't hide them at their homes. DisneyD

Does anyone else find it creepy to find that a cache is located in a persons driveway or yard. Not deep in acres of property...but a yard. I am talking about caches that are placed in a subdivision size lot, in a neighborhood. I just can't see neighbors liking it...and I am nto comfortable with my kids going there alone (not that they are old enough yet). I know my neighbors would be real unhappy if I placed a cache in my yard. who knows who would could pull up. There are some (to put it lightly) odd and irrational cachers out there, trust me, i know from experience. I avoid finding them at all times. I am just curious how other cachers feel about it. :(

Maybe I could drive by, throw one of those sig cards out the window and drive away.

I too, find it creepy. I have decided that I will not look for caches hidden at someones home. I just don't feel right about it. I have a terrible fear that my gps would be off the mark and I would be looking at the wrong place and someone would call the cops on me. There are to many other fun places to look. I wish people wouldn't hide them at their homes. DisneyD

I AM GLAD i AM NOT THE ONLY ONE...

I AM GLAD i AM NOT THE ONLY ONE...

No, you are not the only one. Unfortunately though, it does seem as though we are in the minority.

My "front yard" cache has been active since 2005, has been found 271 times and has had 717 travel bugs pass through it as of today. I've met a lot of nice folks who were passing through because of the cache, and many of them have returned a few times to trade TBs or geocoins. To my knowledge, none of them have found my cache creepy. All my neighbors and the local police know the cache is there and it's really no big deal. Since the cache is visible while you're driving down the road you know immediately where it is. Getting inside it, however, is a little trickier. :mellow:

46d9afbb-6e03-4be7-96e5-bc97d4866193.jpg

Feel free to stop by if you're ever passing through the area, or keep on driving to the LPC a quarter mile down the road. Whatever makes you happy. :(

My "front yard" cache has been active since 2005, has been found 271 times and has had 717 travel bugs pass through it as of today. I've met a lot of nice folks who were passing through because of the cache, and many of them have returned a few times to trade TBs or geocoins. To my knowledge, none of them have found my cache creepy. All my neighbors and the local police know the cache is there and it's really no big deal. Since the cache is visible while you're driving down the road you know immediately where it is. Getting inside it, however, is a little trickier. :mellow:

Feel free to stop by if you're ever passing through the area, or keep on driving to the LPC a quarter mile down the road. Whatever makes you happy. :huh:

I'm sure that your cache is great.

But that jacket dude??????

:(

They are definitely creepy if you don't knock on the door first and introduce yourself before you go to look.

If you do that, then I would think it is fine. If they weren't home, I would just walk away.

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :):ph34r::D:D

Really? - you don't want to meet other geocachers?

Does anyone else find it creepy to find that a cache is located in a persons driveway or yard. Not deep in acres of property...but a yard. I am talking about caches that are placed in a subdivision size lot, in a neighborhood. I just can't see neighbors liking it...and I am nto comfortable with my kids going there alone (not that they are old enough yet). I know my neighbors would be real unhappy if I placed a cache in my yard. who knows who would could pull up. There are some (to put it lightly) odd and irrational cachers out there, trust me, i know from experience. I avoid finding them at all times. I am just curious how other cachers feel about it. :ph34r:

Maybe I could drive by, throw one of those sig cards out the window and drive away.

Gotta admit it but this and geocaches placed in children's playgrounds are my two biggest pet peeves. I skip em' and move on but it still bugs me to no end!

My "front yard" cache has been active since 2005, has been found 271 times and has had 717 travel bugs pass through it as of today. I've met a lot of nice folks who were passing through because of the cache, and many of them have returned a few times to trade TBs or geocoins. To my knowledge, none of them have found my cache creepy. All my neighbors and the local police know the cache is there and it's really no big deal. Since the cache is visible while you're driving down the road you know immediately where it is. Getting inside it, however, is a little trickier. :ph34r:

Feel free to stop by if you're ever passing through the area, or keep on driving to the LPC a quarter mile down the road. Whatever makes you happy. :D

Now THAT's a cache that wouldn't creep me out because it's extremely visible, no one has to wonder what you're doing because it's obvious and I wouldn't have to stealthily "creep" all around your yard looking for it.

1e560c52-0d70-4dd4-b451-4f4b8f7b01e7.jpg

What is creepy about this cache? This cache sits on the side of our garage. We have busted a few cachers here and had a great time talking.

Now with that being said, I also want to add that we do feel uncomfortable searching for a cache on private property if it is well hidden and a lengthy search is needed. We don't mind private property caches if the hide is pretty obvious and the cache page states that it is on private property.

We need to stop generalizing, and look at things on a case by case basis. Not all private property caches are uncomfortable.

My "front yard" cache has been active since 2005, has been found 271 times and has had 717 travel bugs pass through it as of today. I've met a lot of nice folks who were passing through because of the cache, and many of them have returned a few times to trade TBs or geocoins. To my knowledge, none of them have found my cache creepy. All my neighbors and the local police know the cache is there and it's really no big deal. Since the cache is visible while you're driving down the road you know immediately where it is. Getting inside it, however, is a little trickier. :tongue:

Feel free to stop by if you're ever passing through the area, or keep on driving to the LPC a quarter mile down the road. Whatever makes you happy. :(

that is a prtetty cool one. Does it ever get muggled? ..I would guess not, as it is a mailbox, and most do not open them.

They are definitely creepy if you don't knock on the door first and introduce yourself before you go to look.

If you do that, then I would think it is fine. If they weren't home, I would just walk away.

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :tongue:B):yikes::)

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. B)

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :(

I have met many cachers. I have met them in many different ways. They/we are an awesome positive, fun, adventurous, large group, with a few exceptions. And those exceptions have unfortunately tailored my (and locally others) attitude. Some cachers, are not completely sane, are irrational, self glorifying, petty, ignorant, dishonest, angry, and threatening to those they oppose. So the mix of random cachers is not 100% in a direction that I am comfortable digging around a random person's yard with my family at my side. It is just creepy. B)

Edited by WHO-DEY

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :tongue::PB)B)

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. ;)

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. B)

I have met many cachers. I have met them in many different ways. They/we are an awesome positive, fun, adventurous, large group, with a few exceptions. And those exceptions have unfortunately tailored my (and locally others) attitude. Some cachers, are not completely sane, are irrational, self glorifying, petty, ignorant, dishonest, angry, and threatening to those they oppose. So the mix of random cachers is not 100% in a direction that I am comfortable digging around a random person's yard with my family at my side. It is just creepy. :P

Are you talking about this thread? or the forums in general. Man all these generalities really confuse me.....

(if you notice, I have been around a while. I just prefer to go out geocaching than to post here. It is way more exciting to me)

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :(:):yikes:

What is creepy about this cache? This cache sits on the side of our garage. We have busted a few cachers here and had a great time talking.

Now with that being said, I also want to add that we do feel uncomfortable searching for a cache on private property if it is well hidden and a lengthy search is needed. We don't mind private property caches if the hide is pretty obvious and the cache page states that it is on private property.

We need to stop generalizing, and look at things on a case by case basis. Not all private property caches are uncomfortable.

Oh sure....post a picture of the hide. Way to ruin it for me johngie. I guess there is no "Joy in Mudville" now with this cache. Off to put this one on my "Ignore List" now.

Let me know if you camoflauge this one and then maybe I will hunt for it.

now where did I put my "shaking fist" emoticon?

:unsure::unsure::anibad:B)

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :unsure::D:P:(

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. :)

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :huh:

I have met many cachers. I have met them in many different ways. They/we are an awesome positive, fun, adventurous, large group, with a few exceptions. And those exceptions have unfortunately tailored my (and locally others) attitude. Some cachers, are not completely sane, are irrational, self glorifying, petty, ignorant, dishonest, angry, and threatening to those they oppose. So the mix of random cachers is not 100% in a direction that I am comfortable digging around a random person's yard with my family at my side. It is just creepy. B)

Are you talking about this thread? or the forums in general. Man all these generalities really confuse me.....

(if you notice, I have been around a while. I just prefer to go out geocaching than to post here. It is way more exciting to me)

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :unsure::anibad:B)

GVSU4MSU -

I know you have been around for a while. You are a busy cacher, no doubt. I have been to many of your caches. You are involved in MIGO as well..right?

between work and a family, my time is devoted to elsewhere in large part. I love caching, and intentionally get out with my son and friends when I can. I also and stop as I drive around W MI taking the long way when I can to find some off route caches. :)

And as I mentioned, "Yes", the above referenced adjectives are intended to refer to a local cacher around you and I. I am pretty confident you know exactly the local cachers I am referring to. They are strong words, I agree, but they are not overstated by any measure. And that is not only my perception, but other local cachers as well.

Edited by WHO-DEY

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :unsure::D:P:(

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. :)

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :huh:

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :unsure::anibad:B)

GVSU4MSU -

I know you have been around for a while. You are a busy cacher, no doubt. I have been to many of your caches. You are involved in MIGO as well..right?

between work and a family, my time is devoted to elsewhere in large part. I love caching, and intentionally get out with my son and friends when I can. I also and stop as I drive around W MI taking the long way when I can to find some off route caches. :)

And as I mentioned, "Yes", the above referenced adjectives are intended to refer to a local cacher around you and I. I am pretty confident you know exactly the local cachers I am referring to. They are strong words, I agree, but they are not overstated by any measure. And that is not only my perception, but other local cachers as well.

Possibly I do, if they are who I think you are referring to but I guess since I have met them in person I have no issues with them. I guess people are people.....

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :unsure:B):):P

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :(

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :anibad:B):huh:

GVSU4MSU -

between work and a family, my time is devoted to elsewhere in large part. I love caching, and intentionally get out with my son and friends when I can. I also and stop as I drive around W MI taking the long way when I can to find some off route caches. :D

Possibly I do, if they are who I think you are referring to but I guess since I have met them in person I have no issues with them. I guess people are people.....

Therefore you likely only know his side of the abuse and threats he has spewed at other cachers, myself included. You should see the emails threatening both me and my family. I am not the only one he has done this to. You can say people are people ... but that gives no license to be abusive to others with no provocation. Can you, as his friend, really tell me that he has not caused any issues locally to others? :unsure: I dealt with this with GC.com/Groundspeak. Per their direction he can no longer email me, address me in the forum, and must avoid all/any contact in general toward me.

I know you and John are his friends. That is great....you both have done loads to help the hobby grow and sustain itself here in West Michigan.

Edited by WHO-DEY
Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :unsure:

Put in that context, I can see where you're coming from.

The two of these that I've done where from more "established" cachers and the caches were old enough that I didn't feel like I was being baited. Oh, and the wife and kids were inside the van waiting for me (and armed to the teeth. Poor Alabama Rambler never suspected that a sqaud of ninjas would have jumped him if I so much as whispered the word "tatanka".)

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :unsure:

Put in that context, I can see where you're coming from.

The two of these that I've done where from more "established" cachers and the caches were old enough that I didn't feel like I was being baited. Oh, and the wife and kids were inside the van waiting for me (and armed to the teeth. Poor Alabama Rambler never suspected that a sqaud of ninjas would have jumped him if I so much as whispered the word "tatanka".)

if established, and I knew them, or of them, the creepy factor may decrease. But the neighbors etc...I just do not think it is real considerate....Thanks for understanding...and I am glad your fmaily ws ready for Rambler....I here he is devious. :unsure:

Oh sure....post a picture of the hide. Way to ruin it for me johngie. I guess there is no "Joy in Mudville" now with this cache. Off to put this one on my "Ignore List" now.

Let me know if you camoflauge this one and then maybe I will hunt for it.

now where did I put my "shaking fist" emoticon?

:unsure::unsure::anibad:B)

Ok it's camouflaged right now as a snow bank. :huh::(

If you do my cache GCXHTQ "Get The Signal" you will be greeted by this 4' Travel Bug next to the Ammo Can In the listing I clearly state my Address and of course I live in the country with a .1 mile long driveway.

No Muggles in sight. Driveway is always plowed and winter friendly.

ca5b7c82-71c5-4bf4-b69d-44d0e39f07ce.jpg

that is pretty impressive. I think at the right time of night, that would make me soil my pants if I walked up on it. :unsure:

I did this one with a Mopar and GeoHo and we ran into richnsin at the cache, back in 2005, and it's still there. It was weird, You can see how close we are to the house, and the house next door was so close, but we were laughing the whole time, and didn't get arrested. If it's placed in the cacher's own yard, and the cache page says that, it could be funny. But I would only do one in a group situation, at least with one other person.

e6987512-0d92-48bc-b33c-17451b1cf811.jpg

I'm not pointing at the cache in this photo, I'm pointing at poison ivy vines. :lol:

If you do my cache GCXHTQ "Get The Signal" you will be greeted by this 4' Travel Bug next to the Ammo Can In the listing I clearly state my Address and of course I live in the country with a .1 mile long driveway.

No Muggles in sight. Driveway is always plowed and winter friendly.

ca5b7c82-71c5-4bf4-b69d-44d0e39f07ce.jpg

that is pretty impressive. I think at the right time of night, that would make me soil my pants if I walked up on it. B)

Pretty cool TB. This time I think I have to agree with Who-Dey. If we head your way, I will plan on bringing an extra pair of pants. :lol::o:D

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :laughing::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. :ph34r:

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :ph34r:

I have met many cachers. I have met them in many different ways. They/we are an awesome positive, fun, adventurous, large group, with a few exceptions. And those exceptions have unfortunately tailored my (and locally others) attitude. Some cachers, are not completely sane, are irrational, self glorifying, petty, ignorant, dishonest, angry, and threatening to those they oppose. So the mix of random cachers is not 100% in a direction that I am comfortable digging around a random person's yard with my family at my side. It is just creepy. :ph34r:

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :laughing::ph34r::ph34r:

GVSU4MSU -

between work and a family, my time is devoted to elsewhere in large part. I love caching, and intentionally get out with my son and friends when I can. I also and stop as I drive around W MI taking the long way when I can to find some off route caches. :ph34r:

Therefore you likely only know his side of the abuse and threats he has spewed at other cachers, myself included. You should see the emails threatening both me and my family. I am not the only one he has done this to. You can say people are people ... but that gives no license to be abusive to others with no provocation. Can you, as his friend, really tell me that he has not caused any issues locally to others? :) I dealt with this with GC.com/Groundspeak. Per their direction he can no longer email me, address me in the forum, and must avoid all/any contact in general toward me.

I know you and John are his friends. That is great....you both have done loads to help the hobby grow and sustain itself here in West Michigan.

You should report all threats towards you and your family to Groundspeak, that's not tolerated at all.

I just did my first of this type yesterday. I know the area well, and didn't feel uncomfortable with the location. However, I suffered a bit of trepidation knowing I would be walking on someone's property. I got out and knocked on the door and no one answered. I felt like someone was home due to lights being on and the utility doors open. I proceeded to retrieve the cache and due to bad weather, I went up under the corner of the carport to sign the log. As I was doing so, the back door opened and out stepped the nicest lady with a big smile on her face. I said I was just getting the cache and signing the log. She said she and her husband were cachers also and wished me a good day. I did the same, returned the cache to its proper place, and went on my way. It was a pleasant experience but I don't think I would make a habit of yard caches. Just don't feel comfortable on someone's property even though that's the way it's intended.

Locally there are a few caches on private property -- conspicuously posted as such, BUT the property owner is a cacher.

What he has done is place one of these stickers on the face of each "No Trespassing" sign that is at the entry point of the property to get the cache.

3x3sticker_500.jpg

It is cute to read in the logs that people were hesitant about searching out the caches, UNTIL they suddenly notice the geocaching logo pasted right on the No Trespassing sign!

Not surprising (to me, anyway), that they joyfully park their car and grab the smiley.

but I am there for the cache...not for a meet and greet. :P:D:P;)

I quess somebody sent out a 911 since GVSU4MSU and Johngie are suddenly in the forum. :D

Please undrstand; I am blessed to cache with my CHILDREN, and my fellow caching buddies with their CHILDREN. Therefore, hypothetically ---> It feels creepy to me to go to the yard and home of a person who: has a free account, that has posted an invitation on the internet to come look around their yard, and around their garage whil they and their neighborhood watch? Along those lines, I have neighbors. I like to be a little more considerate toward them. I am talking about ME, WHO-DEY and based on the replies on this thread, others as well. :blink:

I am not sure where you are caching, but those are some strongs words relating to cachers. I hope there are non of those "types" where I cache. :P:):D

GVSU4MSU -

Therefore you likely only know his side of the abuse and threats he has spewed at other cachers, myself included. You should see the emails threatening both me and my family. I am not the only one he has done this to. You can say people are people ... but that gives no license to be abusive to others with no provocation. Can you, as his friend, really tell me that he has not caused any issues locally to others? :laughing: I dealt with this with GC.com/Groundspeak. Per their direction he can no longer email me, address me in the forum, and must avoid all/any contact in general toward me.

You should report all threats towards you and your family to Groundspeak, that's not tolerated at all.

Team Desert Eagle - please do not address any comments to me any more. You are not to address me per Groundspeak.com direction.

THE PERSON WHO THREATENED ME AND MY FAMILY IS YOU!

For others benefit, You were called SUPERFLY at that time, but you have now changed your name to Team Desert Eagle. I will be forwarding this post on to Groundspeak.

Edited by WHO-DEY

I have one in my yard. I invite all cachers to come and find it. If enough people come at once, Ill fire up the grill! lol

I am hungry now! :o

You should have come to my front porch cache today, I just grilled pork loin fillets covered with Swiss cheese, yum!

that would be a road trip from West Michigan.....and being a cacher...itwouldtake 100 timeslonger than it should.

Don't like them myself. I've had several caches in the area that I've pulled up, looked at where it was supposed to be, and just didn't feel comfortable looking for them. I figure there's another 12k caches around in the state, so if I miss one because I just didn't feel comfortable looking in the place it's no real big deal. Somehow I don't think I'm going to get to all of them anyways ;). Especially at my pace.

Don't like them myself. I've had several caches in the area that I've pulled up, looked at where it was supposed to be, and just didn't feel comfortable looking for them. I figure there's another 12k caches around in the state, so if I miss one because I just didn't feel comfortable looking in the place it's no real big deal. Somehow I don't think I'm going to get to all of them anyways :). Especially at my pace.

I agree...there is always another cache just over there. :P

I used to live with a beekeeper. I always wanted to put a micro in one of the hives! Yes, the cache page would tell you to knock on the front door. We'd fire up the smoker, you would put on the bee suit and go and retrieve it. Would have to make it a puzzle I guess to make sure that cachers actually read the page.

Never did it, it could have been fun.

We've only found a couple that were placed at someone's house. The first was in Oregon, a house tucked back from town a little bit, with a large yard. The ammo can was placed near a tree towards the front of the property. Mom and the kids traded and signed the log while I went and visited with the cachers. They were very friendly and pointed out a couple more caches for us to get along our route. The other was here in Montana and the cache and the house were owned by someone we'd just met at an event. Although there were neighbors fairly close, the cache was placed so that prying eyes couldn't see what you were up to. Both of those caches were fun and didn't feel creepy at all. However, if someone placed a cache on a typical suburban property, I might feel a little weird poking around while the neighbors watched. I guess like alot of things you have to take these type of caches one at a time, and if it doesn't feel right, keep driving to the next one.

Haven't done any, and would feel weird.

The only one in our neighbourhood is this cache

I don't understand why they would feel weird as a blanket statement. As long as you knew that it was the cache owner's yard, it shouldn't be a problem.

One of the most fun ones I did was called something like "Another Micro in a Pine". Turned out to be a microwave oven under a tall pine tree in the cache owner's front yard!

By the way, I have ever only met one home owner/cacher doing these caches, and that was because we rang the doorbell to ask for a hint (there was two feet of snow on the ground at the time). The cache owner gave us a snow shovel and went back inside. Seriously.

Not 'creepy' at all. Sometimes a bit uncomfortable searching through someones yard, but we have done several, and from our experience a lot of times these have been the more unique caches that would have been too difficult to maintain if hidden elsewhere. These have included (but are not limited to) a nano drilled into a tree and camouflaged with textured paint, a mailbox that was a huge Tiki pole, a large drum painted up to look like a 3ft tall film container, a 6ft(+?) long ammo can (already referenced earlier), a hanging bird house that required following the hanging rope to lower and get to the logbook, and a fake fire hydrant. Heck, we even did one that was INSIDE an apartment building. It was a TB resort, and we knew for sure that they wouldn't get muggled in there.

Most of these stated the private property situation, and others may have been more enjoyable had they stipulated such but we have always had fun, even if we felt a little out of place. If we got too uncomfortable, we would have moved on, but I can't remember any instances where that took place.

Maybe there should be an attribute which would allow for easy filtering through pocket queries.