Unfriendly dogs and other animals...

A few days back, I was bitten by a Doberman, whilst walking across a public park on my way between two caches. He ran up from behind, and by the time I noticed him he had my arm in his mouth...I screamed the most foul language at his owner, but that didn't help as he ran away and then came back to grab my arm again. As he came back for the third time I realised I had no idea what to do.. so just in case it should happen again I've done some research on the net to see how one should behave when being attacked by a dog.

The most common advice seems to say - Stand still, don't look directly at the dog and don't stick your arms out to protect yourself (My mistake - that's just what I did).

One slogan I've read on a few sites is "Stand still, like a tree"

And this site seemed to have some sensible advice Wikihow

Anyway, by way of Doggie Karma, at the next cache I did.. two Border Collies came hurtling at me from around a corner, and whilst I was thinking "Oh ****!, not again. why me!" they both stopped and sat down at my feet, looked up and waited for a pat - amazingly trained.

To the point of the post, is there any one line advice on what to do when confronted by other unfriendly animals?

Charged by a herd of cows?

Cornered by a horse?

Chased by a flock of Geese?

A few days back, I was bitten by a Doberman, whilst walking across a public park on my way between two caches. He ran up from behind, and by the time I noticed him he had my arm in his mouth...I screamed the most foul language at his owner, but that didn't help as he ran away and then came back to grab my arm again. As he came back for the third time I realised I had no idea what to do.. so just in case it should happen again I've done some research on the net to see how one should behave when being attacked by a dog.

The most common advice seems to say - Stand still, don't look directly at the dog and don't stick your arms out to protect yourself (My mistake - that's just what I did).

Anyway, by way of Doggie Karma, at the next cache I did.. two Border Collies came hurtling at me from around a corner, and whilst I was thinking "Oh ****!, not again. why me!" they both stopped and sat down at my feet, looked up and waited for a pat - amazingly trained.

To the point of the post, is there any one line advice on what to do when confronted by other unfriendly animals?

Cornered by a horse?

Ouch..... I hope you have reported the incident so it can be looked into. Think if it was a child playing in the playing field.

I was told when I used to help on a farm to make yourself has big as possible and make a lot of noise to scare cows and geese away from you. Never get between 2 cows.

With dogs stand still, and hopefully they will not wee against your legs.

With horses they are normally just been nosey and stroking them or leading them away with the bridle works. Always make slow movements and show them your hand before moving it slowly towards the horses head but well away from their mouth.

Cornered by a horse?

I was in Richmond Park some time back and a dog kept jumping up at me. The owners were some distance away and it was basically out of control. That time I caught it by the collar behind its neck and dragged it back to its owners. Had it bitten me I would probably have responded with a fist down its throat.

I'd prefer not to fight a large dog like a Doberman, but if it comes to it I'd put my own preservation above any thoughts for the animal's welfare. A large stick rammed down its throat should keep it from coming back, assuming of course you can find such a stick.

I always have a walking pole with me and they have a hardened steel point. I've also usually got stout boots on. So I would like to think I could use the pole to fend off the dog or at least kick it in the head. This would of course result in my arrest for animal cruelty. I would end up in court and also be sued by the dogs owner for causing him/her distress over their poor little doggie. The fact their savage beast had attacked me, damaged my clothing and drawn blood would be of no interest...... /cynical mode.

What would I really do? I don't know as the situation has never come up. But I do recall many years ago out walking with Mrs B when a very large horse grabbed her by the shoulder with its teeth. She had a thick cardigan on so it wasn't too serious. All she did was give the horse a massive thump on the side of its head with her hand. The horse looked really surprised and backed off very quickly B)

I think you have to show them who is boss or show submission. Mrs B is about 5' something and the horse was several feet taller..... she went for the boss option :)

Chris (MrB)

The advice I was given for a trip to Africa was simply "prey runs".

Ive had a few run ins with dogs, I usually get the "on sorry he wont bite", unfortunately by then you have been slobbered all over and covered in paw prints. Ultimately if they were kept on leads, even extendable leads the problem wouldn't exist.

Ive avoided fields of cows on regular occasions. They are too big and unpredictable for my liking.

A cacher colleague had a run in with a horse that decided to lick the back of his neck all the way across a field. B)

Mark :)

I've had two memorable moments with dogs.

The 1st was in a small fishing village in India and still have the 2 puncture marks on my legs.

Rabies? No thank goodness.

The 2nd was by a very old dog who made a vain attempt and put a tooth hole in my shirt.

I had ventured onto his farm through the woods so I cannot really blame him.

I'm surprised (touch wood) that I haven't had more run ins with these lovable creatures.

I've thought about carrying a trekking pole for such occasions, but I carry enough stuff already.

Carry a Knife.... A BIG KNIFE. Any hassle and you can cut yourself a nice new fur lined pair of gloves!

B)

The puppymonster does not appreciate that comment.

I suggest using what I use, an expandable baton. The are small to carry and can steer away any dog. If the problem becomes violent, it is much more strong than a hiking stick. In the US they are considered a weapon, so to conceal it in your pocket you have to have a concealed weapons permit. I carry mine in my hand anyway, which is legal. The action of throwing it out to extend it is a very deliberate action as well. While walking J.C. one day three german shepards came running at us. I stopped and did the motion to throw out the baton. All three of them stopped in their tracks. The two owners came over the hill and got a good bit of a tongue lashing from me. The area is a strict on-leash area. The baton is a good tool to have.

steel-expandable-baton.jpg

Carry a Knife.... A BIG KNIFE. Any hassle and you can cut yourself a nice new fur lined pair of gloves!

B)

I suggest using what I use, an expandable baton. The are small to carry and can steer away any dog. If the problem becomes violent, it is much more strong than a hiking stick. In the US they are considered a weapon, so to conceal it in your pocket you have to have a concealed weapons permit. I carry mine in my hand anyway, which is legal. The action of throwing it out to extend it is a very deliberate action as well. While walking J.C. one day three german shepards came running at us. I stopped and did the motion to throw out the baton. All three of them stopped in their tracks. The two owners came over the hill and got a good bit of a tongue lashing from me. The area is a strict on-leash area. The baton is a good tool to have.

Basically the same as the extendable baton as used by the police force in the UK and I think it would be considered an offensive weapon but nor sure.

Watch this space while I check.

B)

Illegal in the UK

In reply to the OP sonic dog reppeller you may want to give the dog a hearing test first though !

anyway its not bad dogs its poor owners. ive been bitten once by a dog as i stood between it an my kids the owners had no control.

my daughter was chased by an alsatian again the owner had no control.

the worst words to hear are hes ever so friendly and never bit anyone the amswer to which is YET.

maplin sell one

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...O&U=strat15

Most dogs will ignore you if you stay relaxed and just walk away calmly.

Any dog that gives lots more unwanted attention, stand still and stay relaxed, they may jump up a few times to try to provoke a reaction so brace yourself from falling over but will soon get bored.

If the dog is more presistant, or you feel that you are at risk from being bitten.

Give a short and sharp shout of "No" and repeat if nessersary it may take a couple of shouts but most dogs will tend to back away.

If the above does not work, then you may have no other option to use physical force. HOWEVER as a rescue volunteer force is somthing I never condone. If you do need to use force, use your foot, ONLY use enough force to provide a deterrant DO NOT try to seriously injure the dog.

If you get bitten, then constanty tence and relax the muscle around the bite for a few minutes, this will help reduce any scarring and can even prevent scarring altogether.

Get yourself a pet sheep, then you can shoot the dog, claiming its worrying your sheep. B)

Seriously though, 'stay calm and relaxed' is impossible if you got a snarling brute making directly for you, with the most obvious intentions. Particularly if you've had previous experience.

There's a lot to be said about bringing back a requirement for paid-for dog licenses. At the moment anyone can own a nasty little bugger quite capable of killing someone. I don't like dogs, particularly the one's that 'are only being friendly'

I got some advice about Rottweillers once. Apparantly if you pull their front legs apart hard enough, you'll crush their lungs. A bit like the advice of punching a shark on the nose!

If the above does not work, then you may have no other option to use physical force. HOWEVER as a rescue volunteer force is somthing I never condone. If you do need to use force, use your foot, ONLY use enough force to provide a deterrant DO NOT try to seriously injure the dog.

I would prefer never to have to hurt a dog. But if it's the dog or me my objective is to disable the dog with as little risk to me (or my companions) as possible. If that means ramming a walking pole down its throat with as much force as I can muster then that's too bad for the dog.

The trouble with using some force is that if you make the dog angry you merely exacerbate a bad situation. If it does come down to a case of defending yourself against an animal I'd go for doing enough damage to stop any attack as fast as possible. Depending on the situation that may end up meaning killing the animal as fast as possible.

Of course if owners kept their animals under control this discussion would be academic.

If that means ramming a walking pole down its throat with as much force as I can muster then that's too bad for the dog.

Yup.

Of course if owners kept their animals under control this discussion would be academic.

Sure, but if they had that much intelligence they wouldn't be pretending that an animal was part of their family in the first place.

Ouch! I hope you're OK.

FWIW and AFAICT, the two caches concerned in Birdie's incidents were mine. I'm local and regularly walk my own dog there. I haven't seen a Doberman recently, so I suspect the dog isn't local. Not that's of consolation to you, but it's hopefully less that others who go after those caches need to worry about.

That Wikihow advice seems sound to me. However, I would add that the dog is a dangerous dog as defined by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (link):

• If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place, the owner or person in charge of the dog is guilty of an offence. A dog shall be regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person, whether or not it actually does so.
  • This offence can result in a fine or a prison sentence not exceeding 6 months. The dog may also be destroyed and the owner disqualified from owning a dog for a specific period of time.

If the dog drew blood, I'd certainly report the incident on the grounds that the next time the dog might attack a child. In any case, I'd have had words with the handler to impress upon him or her the severity of the offence he or she had committed by permitting the animal to be dangerously out of control and try to get an undertaking that it would not be allowed off-lead and un-muzzled in public again.

I think we need to be careful though about carrying and using offensive weapons - even in self-defence. While a hiking pole might be explainable, I doubt that a large knife would be and might attract an unwanted criminal record!

Geoff

A few days back, I was bitten by a Doberman, whilst walking across a public park on my way between two caches.

We had a similar run in with a dog in the same park when we did the two caches there. I had to fend off an unfriendly dog twice and then when I was having a word with the owner, the dog charges across to my wife and our dog which was on a lead and under control. Roxy, our dog, snapped back at it and it changed from nasty to playful very quickly. She had more control over it than the owner could ever hope for which is a shame because all it needed was the correct instruction to be a normal friendly dog.

The dog which had a go at us was not a Doberman so it looks like there are more than one badly behaved dogs/owners in that area.

Sure, but if they had that much intelligence they wouldn't be pretending that an animal was part of their family in the first place.

Our Roxy is as much a family member as any of us. I'm proud to have her as part of our family even if that means I have limited intelligence ;) .

Bummer that the baton is illegal, but I understand the UK/US differences. I like the hiking stick idea since "steering" a dog away can be useful. Just get a really sturdy one. ;)

Our Roxy is as much a family member as any of us. I'm proud to have her as part of our family even if that means I have limited intelligence :mad: .

Wow. Nice insult agentmancuso. :(:( I agree with spannerman. While the J.C. isn't a child, he is part of our family. That is why they are called "the family pet". I always keep my dog on a leash though. I know he is only a dog and if a rabbit runs across the trail he is going to bolt and go after it. He might get lost since he can way outrun me.

Edited by mtn-man

Perhaps I've been lucky but I get very little trouble from dogs. When I have met an aggressive one in the past I used the 'Hello boy!" voice (you know the one. Works for babies too) and move slowly away. No running. They can smell fear... A walking pole might make them think twice but I'd only actually push a dog away with it (not hit it) as a last resort. I'd also not think too long or two hard about seeking compensation for any damage to me or my belongings from the animal's owner- the fear of a fine or other financial consequence might be the only thing which gets some particularly irresponsible owners to keep their semi/dangerous animal on a lead.

I don't mind cows too much but horses have been known to get a bit boisterous with me. I must smell delicious.

What would I really do? I don't know as the situation has never come up. But I do recall many years ago out walking with Mrs B when a very large horse grabbed her by the shoulder with its teeth. She had a thick cardigan on so it wasn't too serious. All she did was give the horse a massive thump on the side of its head with her hand. The horse looked really surprised and backed off very quickly ;)

who let the my little pony out?

J

Possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum.

And Guanajuato ;) ,

I see your dislike for dogs has not stopped you finding Tashington's caches,I feel a mass log deletion coming on :mad::(

Please - my original post wasn't an anti dog post at all, and whilst I've never owned a dog, I've "borrowed" ones from friends for years and if I lived somewhere suitable then I'd love my own dog.

I'm one of the most disorganised people on the planet, so I'd never remember to make sure I had a Ultrasonic dog scarer/hiking pole/etc with me each time I went caching. I was just asking the best thing to do when unequipped, when you see a dog running at you - as obviously swearing loudly and waving your arms about isn't the correct thing.

Nicely back on track and sorry to come late to the discussion. I was told a while a go that if a dog is jumping up at you and snapping, the best thing to do (need to be wearing gloves) is ram you hand into it's mouth! Basically so they can't close their mouth as your hand is in the way.

I know it's kinda similar but I've done it with our cats and they don't like it, it really pulls them up short!

As a more realistic alternative (I don't think I would do the hand/mouth thing) is take a step towards the dog and let my size 10 walking boot connect with it's mid-riff, as a great man once said... " A swift knee in the happy sacks and he'll drop like anyone" ;)

Edited by d_cross78

I used to help on a cattle ranch a long long time ago when i was knee high to a grass hopper. I didn't learn nearly anything except to stay out of the way and what to do if I couldnt get out of the way. I never had a need for this, but this is what I was told.

If it's kind of a half assed approach and they don't look serious wave your arms really wide and yell.

Remember to use your enviroment to make yourself bigger. If you have a backpack, wave it around. If there's a branch near by pick it up and hold it sideways so you grow in a very visible way. Buckets, large little, jackets, pipes, these are all things you can use. Don't bother if it's mucky or not, you can wash yourself easy, you cant put intestines back in quite to easy.

If they mean business it may be that a good start isn't going to deter them. You can either run and pitch yourself over a fence, tree yourself, or (and this is gonna sound counter intuitive) drop flat on the ground and be very still. The cow may miss where you've gone to completely and walk off. It could still possibly dig you up with its hooves and horn, but this is a safer position than you'd be in if you were running away, and if there was no barrier, tree, or escape close at hand you were kind of screwwed anyway weren't you?

And Guanajuato :mad:

;)

What I said was in jest. The sheepworrying was tongue in cheek given recent stories in the Westmorland Gazette. Must just be my sense of humour. I REALLY wouldn't suggest harming a dog unless it was an absolute last resort. If a dog latched onto one of our girls, I'd not hesitate at using any means at my disposal of removing it. But I'd hope that situation never arises by trying to get out of the situation before it develops that far.

I don't like dogs - they really do put me on edge. Relaxing is not an option! Even well-behaved dogs make me nervous. I guess it comes with having been set upon by a red setter and a boxer when I was about 5. Whether they were 'just being friendly' or not, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Tash & Spencer are lovely dogs. And I'm sure most are as well (or nearly as well) behaved, looked after and trained. Its the usual issue of an irresponsible minority that get noticed.

If the dog isn't being boistrous, I'm OK. And if the owner is responsible, that makes me relax a lot more. The in-laws have always had a dog, and I tolerate it. They CAN be fun, and I do understand why others want to have dogs. But the problem is some owners don't seem to realise they have some responsibility to other people when they have a dog.

But Birdman probably should report the incident, who knows what that dog might do.

I've been "approached" by aggressive dogs in the past. My first line of defence is to shout "DOWN" and "SIT" at them. This usually works. I don't know exacltly what it does in the dog's head, but maybe it's telling the dog that I'm in the class of people not to be trifled with. This also alerts the owner that something is going on, although in my experience, owners all know that they dog is "just being friendly" and "would never hurt anyone", so they're quite relaxed about their dog misbehaving.

The second line of defence is to fend them off with my walking pole, which I always have with me. I've only had to do that a couple of times, and I always tell the owner "it's alright, I won't hurt your dog", and I like to get that in before they say "It's alright, the dog won't hurt you".

The third line of defence, I've never had to use, but if a dog were biting me, the option of standing still and looking calm, really wouldn't occur to me. However, since I always have a walking pole in my hand, I'd probably use it, quite vigorously (on the dog), and then I'd take the owner's name and address.

Would you like to retract that comment before you offend anyone else? Ozzy is very much a part of the family.... a much loved pet, and I am not lacking in intelligence. Your statement just doesn't add up I'm afraid.

I had/have a real problem with some dogs, or more correctly, their owners. My first hate is dog sh1t, which means that I'm usually already a bit p*ssed off when in a doggy area. Last year, I decided to make a real effort to get on better with dogs and their owners as it was getting to the stage where every walk out was becoming unpleasant. I'd be doing really well and then some out-of-control dog would have a go at me. The worst was when a border collie came full pelt at me whilst the owner was yelling at it but being totally ignored. Needless to say, I had a word and the owner pleaded that it was a rescue dog and had been badly treated. When I suggested that it should be on lead if it couldn't be trusted, she did think it might be a good idea. No sh1t Sherlock....... At this stage I was recouperating from a fractured pelvis. An additional fall would almost certainly have caused more damage. God help me if I was an elderly person with osteoporosis or a small child.

It does also seem that the irresponsible owners know all their rights but choose to ignore their responsibilities.

My stock reply to 'he's only playing' is 'I don't give a ......., I don't like dogs and I don't want them near me'. The problem seems to be that some dog owners think that everyone should be as enamoured with their pets as they are. I keep spiders, scorpions and lizards - maybe they would like an enforced close encounter with them?

Rant over, I will now admit that I would quite like a spaniel!

Please - my original post wasn't an anti dog post at all, and whilst I've never owned a dog, I've "borrowed" ones from friends for years and if I lived somewhere suitable then I'd love my own dog.

I'm one of the most disorganised people on the planet, so I'd never remember to make sure I had a Ultrasonic dog scarer/hiking pole/etc with me each time I went caching. I was just asking the best thing to do when unequipped, when you see a dog running at you - as obviously swearing loudly and waving your arms about isn't the correct thing.

Never been bitten by a dog .But I'm scared silly when a dog comes running/jumping up at me .

But have found saying "hello "quietly to them and standing still ,looking away and keeping my arms to myself, has worked better at getting them to leave me alone than screaming "go away" ever did .

Have found that it's usually the dogs whose owners shout at them to come back to them are the dogs who don't go back to their owners .Have noticed it's the shouting owners who often hit their dog when they

finally catch up with their dog .It's no wonder to me why their dog wont return when called .

(When MR T.A. was a youth he was on his bike and got bitten by the local dog who "went for " every passing person .

He got off his bike gave the dog a good footballers kick .T he dog was very sheepish to him thereafter and never "went for" any passing person again )

I don't mean to under estimate the danger of a truely dangerous dog - that is of course serious. For most dogs, being calm etc is the best approach. Dangerous dogs are a small minority. But if you are being attacked, you need to defend yourself.

When I was younger, my parents had a boarding kennel, which I worked in for several years. I was lucky that I was only bitten by a dog twice; and in both cases by a toy poodle (which was no real threat!). There was one rather unfriendly rottweiler who was a regular guest, named Gretchen. She would act very aggressively when I went near her "pen" - but the setup we had each dog had an inside and outside pen with a door between, and I would make sure she was shut in the "other" pen when before entering (to clean the pen or feed her). One day, she escaped from her inside pen, and was loose in the building. I had to "herd" her back into her pen. I found she was actually afraid of me, so she ran away from me and I got her back in her pen. Once there, she still acted like she was trying to attack me through the chain-link again.

Mark

My stock reply to 'he's only playing' is 'I don't give a ......., I don't like dogs and I don't want them near me'. The problem seems to be that some dog owners think that everyone should be as enamoured with their pets as they are. I keep spiders, scorpions and lizards - maybe they would like an enforced close encounter with them?

Rant over, I will now admit that I would quite like a spaniel!

Absolutely - I don't like dogs at all, they make me nervous and I find them to be pretty unpleasant. I don't like being jumped on, slobbered on etc., and it's about time that dog owners understood that not everyone loves them.

I know there's plenty of people out there that resent children, and I've got two of those. I love them, but I don't expect everyone else to love them. It's the same with dogs. Be aware that there's plenty of people who are scared of them or don't like them, however harmless you percieve them to be.

Lee

Would you like to retract that comment before you offend anyone else? Ozzy is very much a part of the family.... a much loved pet, and I am not lacking in intelligence.

You're right up to a point: 'a lack of intelligence' is the wrong expression. Maybe 'a surfeit of sentimentality' would be better.

Owners of dangerous and badly-behaved dogs routinely defend their animals by idiotic phrases such as 'he's harmless', 'he's just playing', 'he doesn't mean any harm' etc. This pathetic anthropomorphism reveals a complete lack of understanding of animal behaviour. Dogs are never part of the family; they are part of a pack, and their behaviour towards outsiders is entirely dependent on factors such as perceived threats to the pack, submission to the the pack leader etc. No amount of cheap sentimentality will ever change that.

A menacing looking pit-bull type of dog once came galloping towards me at full speed, so I crouched down as if to make a fuss of it. You should have seen the dust coming off its paws as it screeched to a halt with a look of "what do I do know?" on it's face.

This has been a very interesting read as although my wife owns a dog, I don't particularly like them, or their habits. The fist down the throat bit worries me though. What happens next? How long are you supposed to keep it there?

A menacing looking pit-bull type of dog once came galloping towards me at full speed, so I crouched down as if to make a fuss of it. You should have seen the dust coming off its paws as it screeched to a halt with a look of "what do I do know?" on it's face.

This has been a very interesting read as although my wife owns a dog, I don't particularly like them, or their habits. The fist down the throat bit worries me though. What happens next? How long are you supposed to keep it there?

The fist down the throat is very much a "do or die" approach. You leave it there until the dog asphyxiates. Obviously along the way your forearm is likely to take some serious damage, so it's an absolute last resort.

Despite the OP's reply that this thread was not intended as an anti dog topic it has deteriorated into just that,as I suspected it would when I first read the topic headline,in fact it has become nothing more than a vehicle for the dog haters of the geocaching community to vent their spleen,a community in which I am at this moment questioning weather I still want to be associated with, after reading some of the postings on here from some of the "brave" individuals,is it any wonder that only a small percentage of geocachers frequent this forum and others have not a "trifling" amount of posts but many hundreds as they clearly revel in their own self importance not hesitating to jump in here at the drop of a hat,anyway it's over and out from me,I'm never tuning in again to this particular station.

Yes, I'd asked for some, I thought, sensible advice.. I too am a little disappointed with the way the thread turned out.

Maybe a passing mod could close it - I think that would be for the best.

As a final update though.

a) I did report this incident to the local Police

:P It appears I was "badmouthing" Dobermans, I saw a similar dog today whilst out walking and whilst chatting with it's owners, turns out it was a Rottweiler (who in my mind, I saw as being a lot smaller then they actually are) - but in my defence - they do appear to have very similar coats.

Please accept my apologies dog owners, 99.99% of dogs I've met have given me no trouble whatsoever.

Despite the OP's reply that this thread was not intended as an anti dog topic it has deteriorated into just that,as I suspected it would when I first read the topic headline,in fact it has become nothing more than a vehicle for the dog haters of the geocaching community to vent their spleen,a community in which I am at this moment questioning weather I still want to be associated with, after reading some of the postings on here from some of the "brave" individuals,is it any wonder that only a small percentage of geocachers frequent this forum and others have not a "trifling" amount of posts but many hundreds as they clearly revel in their own self importance not hesitating to jump in here at the drop of a hat,anyway it's over and out from me,I'm never tuning in again to this particular station.

Starting to get that way here as well but I do find some good info on here from time to time.

Lets remember not all dogs are snarling, biting beasts. Just about 1% and thats mainly the owners fault.

Indeed, but the thread is titled "Unfriendly dogs and other animals" and asks about how to deal with dogs that appear unfriendly/aggressive, which does rather focus on those that are either unfriendly or not under control.

Wow! Obviously touched a nerve here!!!! I am sure responsible dog owners find their irresponsible colleagues as annoying as the rest of us obviously do. But, surely they are in the best position to educate? Unfortunately it isn't possible to enjoy any outdoor hobby, such as geocaching, without encountering these people and their animals and therefore it is a justifiable complaint - not from 'dog haters' but those who may have been 'once bitten.......

To go back to the original thread :( the only animals I have experience of 'controlling' are large birds, such as wildfowl (geese, swans - even stroppy muscovey ducks!) Watch the beaks, most have slightly serrated edges and can be painful. Despite old wives tales, a swan cannot break a limb with it's wings and the 'wings up' posture is mainly to increase their size and appear more of a threat. Never approach a bird on a nest, or get between a bird and it's nest. Also (and sorry to mention dogs) don't allow dogs off the lead near a nesting large bird - they ARE capable of inflicting damage to a small dog AND it is illegal to disturb a nesting bird.

Most wild birds outside of the breeding season will almost certainly disappear long before you get near them. Domestic geese may well approach, with a lot of noise and bluster, but they will be used to people. Any aggressive goose can usually be held back with a stick (that's all we ever used when I worked at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust).

Probably the most aggressive birds I've ever come across are cockerels (and bantams can be some of the worst!) Again, a stick will generally keep them away (don't hit them!) but beware them running up behind you and using their spurs! Even then, unless you are wearing shorts, it's not going to do much damage.