Lets talk about YOUR geocaches.

So there are threads about crazy caches you have been to or stuff you found in them....but what about caches you have hid? Which is your favorite? What kind of swag do you put in them? What size is your favorite to hide? What general area are most of you caches in (woods, public, outta the way places, etc..)? Camo Job? Basically just talk about YOUR geocache containers. Even brag a little if you want. We all wanna learn some other cache hiding/creating techniques.

My answers are in red.

Which is your favorite? Regular & large. Most of my hides are ammo cans in interesting places.

What kind of swag do you put in them? Usually NEW dollar store crap and sealed McToys, but also semi-precious stones and my own signature smashed coins.

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

840f47bd-f595-4214-b367-8fc1800f155b.jpg

1e12638c-c142-492a-a218-35f3bc8d5469.jpg

What size is your favorite to hide? By farrrr it's A Claustrophobic's Nightmare, but I have gotten endless hours of enjoyment from Quantum Leap as well.

What general area are most of you caches in (woods, public, outta the way places, etc..)? Remote woods and mountainous areas.

Camo Job? Mostly camo tape or none at all. Every now and then a camo paint job.

Even brag a little if you want.

Okayyyyy, I'm the most self promoting guy I know, so you'd better not get me started. :)B)

You will encounter some of the most interesting terrain in the world between Lee Vining and Bishop Ca. It happens to be my favorite place on Earth.... And guess what? I have dozens of great caches there (back meet pat) and there are hundreds more in the area. Many of my caches are on the favorites lists of cachers with over 10k & 20k finds! Even one with near 40k finds.

But don't take my word for it. Read the logs and look at the pictures. Then look at all the other caches in the area. I spend at least a month in this area every year and I'm lucky enough to have family there. Oh, and Yosemite is just around the corner too.

A Claustrophobic's Nightmare/Just Say NO to Crack

66f1ba4b-c5b7-4a2a-8f3f-5c609c24aa04.jpg

Hardcore Sunrise or Sunset

3918340a-d43b-406a-ad03-d679947d7241.jpg

Ode to Ranboze and bthomas

The guy in this shot has over 28,000 finds. :smile:

4912ee72-36c7-41bb-9478-bb0625f3f223.jpg

The Secret Dirty Golfball Graveyard in the Sky

ae655b47-09c4-48f7-a7ce-f45af971b9dc.jpg

Fortress of Solitude

9411623e-cbe8-438f-b66b-8bf864974019.jpg

The FrogStar (West)

90574290-d5b6-4fb9-9814-710918141187.jpg

The folks in the above picture are the hosts (Monkeybrad and Scoot) GeoWoodstock VII. They flew into Reno from Tennessee and rented a jeep. Guess where they went before heading to GW6? :P My blatant self promotion of my caches inspired another group find and about a 180 mile detour to GW6. Their whole party let me know how much they enjoyed the adventure at GW6 and they only did 3 of my caches. :angry:

This picture seems to show how much Monkeybrad liked it. B)56263e03-753d-49b5-be3b-f4e4ad5b9b7b.jpg

I got to see the smile on his face as he told me about it. :)

Edited by Snoogans

So there are threads about crazy caches you have been to or stuff you found in them....but what about caches you have hid? Which is your favorite? What kind of swag do you put in them? What size is your favorite to hide? What general area are most of you caches in (woods, public, outta the way places, etc..)? Camo Job? Basically just talk about YOUR geocache containers. Even brag a little if you want. We all wanna learn some other cache hiding/creating techniques.

FTP

Back in a minute with a huge post edit.... B)

Haha okay. by the way LOVE THE AVATAR! THAT JUST MADE MY DAY

My favorite that I hid, and I want to brag a little is a LARGE ammo can. It's got the volume of about 8 50 cal ammo cans.

I emptied an 80lb bag of concrete, mixed, in it to help keep it from disappearing. Then I carried it out to a wooded area near the Columbia river. It weighs about 95 pounds total.

It was a pain to find a way to hide it but it's hidden.

The Blackheart Joe Series

Caching has always felt like a treasure hunt to me, so what better character to base a series on than a pirate? The puzzle, "Chest", requires cachers to visit the other caches to figure it out. Once you get there, opening the cache is a bit of a puzzle, too.

Enough people have had problems figuring out what to do with the puzzle, I've reproduced it in another cache & given explicit directions on how to solve it. I don't think anyone's figured out that both puzzles are the same yet, though. . .

3 of the 4 containers:

afd95a2d-a426-4f8a-a9d8-b4922f024971.jpg

So, who's coming to find the cache? B)

FTP

Thanks. :)

That's my Gift Horse. I like to post it on entitlement threads where the OP fails to realize that this great sport/hobby/activity/creative outlet/obsession is entirely based on the willing and giving participation of other PEOPLE and that we are ALL responsible for our own happiness with how we spend our free quality time.

e0febc68-e3f4-494c-b911-bce624ec22fd.jpg

Snoogans check PM. Wow that ammo can with cement in it prolly took you forever to lunge it out there. How much area do you have for swag in it?

Awesome pics Snoogans. Great places to take people for caches. I live in Indiana and we have NO scenic mountains, oceans, rivers, waterfalls, et...anything like that. We have corn and the Indianapolis Colts. GO COLTS!!! I would love to go to a farther state than Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky or Illinois. Just to get into different terrains and scenic areas.

The pirate caches were awesome. I love it when people have fun containers. Finding a never before seen container by you is always fun.

Another question to add. If you go to the store to buy a snack...do you look for a snack in a container that can be used for a geocache? I bought some peanut butter filled pretzels because the container was pretty big and a great idea for a container.

FTP

Thanks. :)

That's my Gift Horse. I like to post it on entitlement threads where the OP fails to realize that this great sport/hobby/activity/creative outlet/obsession is entirely based on the willing and giving participation of other PEOPLE and that we are ALL responsible for our own happiness with how we spend our free quality time.

e0febc68-e3f4-494c-b911-bce624ec22fd.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHHA And it was even better seeing it larger!!!

Wow that ammo can with cement in it prolly took you forever to lunge it out there. How much area do you have for swag in it?

Ummm, that's just a rock that someone painted to look like a frog a loooong time ago. B)

The ammo can is hidden under a bush about 25 yards behind where they are standing. :)

No camo either:

1770202_200.jpg

Wow that ammo can with cement in it prolly took you forever to lunge it out there. How much area do you have for swag in it?

Ummm, that's just a rock that someone painted to look like a frog a loooong time ago. B)

The ammo can is hidden under a bush about 25 yards behind where they are standing. :)

No camo either:

1770202_200.jpg

Haha sorry Snoogans. That was for the 8 50 caliber ammo can lol.

My own favourite cache is an Earthcache. I did a lot of research into it, and consulted with a researcher who was familiar with the land feature I was using (an esker). I like it because it teaches people about the geological history of the area, but it also has contemporary importance as a source of fresh groundwater for the community.

The ammo can still has about the space of 1.5 50cal cans worth of space. Lots of room for swag.

The cache is only about 200' down a trail but I could have moved it a mile if I needed to as long as the trail was relatively flat. Aside from the pain of the metal digging into my shoulder, I can lug a hundred pounds pretty easy.

Which is your favorite?

A tribute to my geo-idol - 'An Ode to Brian'

What kind of swag do you put in them?

A route map for the former Bus route #45. It had something to do with the cache, but I've since had to revise the cache description.

What size is your favorite to hide?

Small

What general area are most of you caches in (woods, public, outta the way places, etc..)?

Wherever I can find a good place

Camo Job?

Camo Duct Tape. That is usually it.

Basically just talk about YOUR geocache containers.

Lock & Locks are by far my favourite

We did an esker earthcache here in indiana. really interesting.

We haven't done any cool cache containers yet. We have placed the usual tupperware, 35 mm containers, ammo cans, etc. My last geocache was a preztel container that I bought to eat while watching the football game. I bought it just for a geocache. We are putting together a HUGE lock and lock that dad grabbed from work. So far we have stocked it with notre dame clock, pennant, large dream catcher, 6 paper back books, cook books, large cloth frisbee, all kinds of large swag. We are going to make it "harder" to find it tho although it is goign to be placed probably on our back patio. But to find it you have to pick between three methods of finding it. 1) A 9 stage multi of 35 mm 2) Find a micro hanging on a tree in the woods withouth the exact coords 3) A puzzle that dad has. Will put pics on later!

My personal favorite is hidden in plain sight in a local central park. GC1ZMPB. There is a tree in the park that has grown around a very old iron post. The post had no cap, so I decided to make one for it. I bought a nickel cap from local hardware store (they don't sell iron ones), grinded the edges, painted several layers of a red primer over bits of rust (for texture), painted a rust-looking top-coat, and then gorilla-glued a thin pill bottle on the bottom side.

76e7222e-68b5-4236-9449-8006e5c2d503.jpg

it looks like a closer match in person... specially since it is a little more weathered now.

Man, I wish that I could get out to Cali to look for those caches in the previous pics! B) ... we have to make due with what we have around here... lol. It isn't all beautiful scenery like that.

(edit) crap... sorry the pic is sideways.

Edited by goosefraba1

The ammo can still has about the space of 1.5 50cal cans worth of space. Lots of room for swag.

The cache is only about 200' down a trail but I could have moved it a mile if I needed to as long as the trail was relatively flat. Aside from the pain of the metal digging into my shoulder, I can lug a hundred pounds pretty easy.

Thats when you need a red radio flyer. Even if muggles see that cache, good luck with trying to take that outta the woods.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5d-89913502abad

^ this link is to my cache Enchanted Glen. It is my favorite because of the history and architecture. It was built in the late 1800s through the 1920s. It started as a hotel retreat for Washingtonians (DC) and then was a seminary (finishing school) for women. The army took it over for returning WWII vets and basically let the site deteriorate to the point of nearly loosing the entire site. Some buildings were lost (like the first to a theater because they shut off the sprinklers). It sat unused for 20 years, finally was released and is now going through a renovation (and new development adjacent). It is a study in various classic architecture buildings and elements. It is a national historic site and many, many of the logs describe this site as a favorite for the finders. I have so many that love coming to the site even if they didn't find the cache. I've seen folks return as many as six times to this site. That alone makes it my favorite....because I strive to make dadgum good caches that others love!

I'll post here later about the other questions...especially about cache sizes. I'm still working on that "EXTRA, EXTRA" large container caches. Can you say shipping container size cache...LOL.

I do my best to try a little bit of everything, but all my caches are my own ideas and not ripped off someone else (to my knowledge). I put a lot of thought and effort in to my caches for sure and I always try to have some sort of reason behind the cache. I never just put out a cache with a 2 sentance cache page description (ie. "This is an easy P&G. Have fun!).

I've got a couple educational/historic caches, creatively made caches, ammo cans along hiking trails, etc. I think I am a pretty good hider for I mostly always get positive feedback.

Here's a few examples of my caches:

Acid Tongue

Balbir Singh Sodhi

Inner Light Spectrum

Ecostash

And I even got a friendly log from THE Jeremy on this cache that supplies some fantastic views of Phoenix and beyond:

Randy Described Eternity

And I also have this cache, now archived, that was discussed on the PodCacher Podcast (Good idea, Bad cache, good learning experience):

simpjkee

Edited by simpjkee

We did an esker earthcache here in indiana. really interesting.

We've also got one near me that features Esker's, Bogs, and Kames. There is also another one nearby that features Drumlins. The coolest Earthcache around here though that has, as a requirement for logging, finding and taking a picture of a fossil. It's less than a mile from where I live.

I don't have any favorite caches that are own that are favorites due to the type of the container, but there are a couple that are favored based on the location.

My containers so far are mostly smalls so you can put tiny/small swag. I need to take some pics sometime. I have one ammo can out, three more to prep at home. And a ton of other containers lying all over the garage and kitchen :) I like doing something a little unique with all my caches and making my cache description pages interesting - facts, background image, extra attributes from 9key's The Selector. I always have ideas swimming in my head, too little time! Some have a surprise element of some kind so if you cache in Austin TX and don't want spoilers don't read this :angry: Here's a bit about six :P

This was my first one. It's a container with three small sections that screw into each other. Camo'd with textured gray paint. It's tucked inside a dead tree (but not in a creepy reach your hand into the darkness kind of spot). Lots of comments on the uniqueness.

Tiny Treasure Trio

I put this one out outside the building that was the site of a Christmas event I co-hosted with a friend, at the base of a tree w UPS. Has some gingerbread men inside the ammo can and on the log book, as well as the super cute gingerbread man story on the cache description page. On pretty cardstock in the cache is "You Can't Cache Me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!"

You Can't Cache Me!

This is my favorite one, now premium only; I'm told the last one in that park was muggled so I want to up the chances it's re-hidden extra well (under an old tree stump and UPS). It's a plastic container with two sections, one side is decorated boy and has a boy only log (says: no girls allowed!) and the other is decorated girly and has a girl only log (says: no boys allowed!). Poem is on the cache description page as well as on cardstock in the cache itself.

What are little cachers made of?

The rock-eating monsters are oak trees that are swallowing up several rocks. I tell them they are looking for a tupperware container and the funny thing is it is an INSANELY tiny tupperware container. It took me an hour to figure out where and how to hide this one, tucking it into a little spot under a rock and arranging tiny rocks and sticks and moss around it in a way that didn't scream URP/USP.

Tiny tupperware

Rock-eating Monsters

Piggy Ca$he is a blue plastic piggy bank from IKEA. It's the container I was asking for advice for about a clear sealant. It has a bag of gold plastic coins from Party City in it as swag. It's in the middle of a tree that makes a perfect hidey spot with multiple trunks, brought in more camo from across a field in the form of chunks of bark that fell off some other tree. Cache tree is surrounded by thorns and apparently also poison ivy which I didn't notice when hiding it B) I specifically looked for a thorny area to protect my bright blue piggy bank cache from muggles. It's getting great feedback. Cache page has interesting info on the origin of the expression "Bringing home the bacon".

Piggy Ca$he

My latest is a premium only but I will likely be switching it to regular soon. It's dedicated to the power geocaching has over us all :smile: It's a preform and the inside has shiny red foil paper to simulate a red potion inside. It's under a UPS that hides a hole at the base of an oak tree.

Love Potion No. 9

Edited by Opalblade

Two of mine I had the most fun with (both now archived) were animal related.

The first was a small resin squirrel I got at Wally World and put a film can in the bottom of it. Then I just set it back in a notch at the base of a tree. I used to get all kinds of emails from folks saying they thought they knew where the cache was but they couldn't get the squirrel to move out of the way.

The other was an articulated wild turkey decoy I picked up at a sporting goods store. It was mounted on a spring and had a neck swivel so it kinda moved in the breeze. Again, LOTS of emails about getting to GZ and seeing a turkey, but they couldn't get it to shoo away so they left empty handed.

:mad:;) Were pretty new to geocaching but we do have some that I like. We have only 5 hides but i really like two of them. One of them is in a tree knot that you need a magnet to get out and it takes a while because we stuck a bunch of metal stuff in it like pens and screws and it is in one of the pens.

The other one is a small penut butter thing hiding in plain site in a tree and we did not think it would be to diffulclt but people have had troubles with it.

Two of mine I had the most fun with (both now archived) were animal related.

The first was a small resin squirrel I got at Wally World and put a film can in the bottom of it. Then I just set it back in a notch at the base of a tree. I used to get all kinds of emails from folks saying they thought they knew where the cache was but they couldn't get the squirrel to move out of the way.

The other was an articulated wild turkey decoy I picked up at a sporting goods store. It was mounted on a spring and had a neck swivel so it kinda moved in the breeze. Again, LOTS of emails about getting to GZ and seeing a turkey, but they couldn't get it to shoo away so they left empty handed.

haha thats sweet!!! that would be funny

How do i put pictures on my post?
First, the pics need to be on the web. For my last post, it was easy, they are all in the gallery for the cache. People will upload pics to sites like Photo Bucket, or even to one of their cache pages.

Second, you need to get the URL for the image. Don't know if it is different in IE, but in Firefox, if you right-click on the pic, one of the options is "Copy Image Location." Right click the pic, and slect that.

Finally, in your "Replying to..." page (the one where you type your post) there is a toolbar above the text box. One of the buttons is a picture of a tree. Click it. Paste (ctrl v) the URL you copied (the "Copy Image Location" bit) and hit "OK." You'll get a line in your text box that looks like this:

[img=http://img.geocaching.com/user/avatar/bc39fcc4-f264-4904-a25f-e9225a8c9bb1.jpg]

When you post it, it'll look like this:

bc39fcc4-f264-4904-a25f-e9225a8c9bb1.jpg

Dang. . . I wish they hadn't forced the avatars into a square format. . .

Edited by Too Tall John

Of my caches that I hid, this is my favorite hide: GC1P072 Tunnel Vision

3374062947_ce1220a4ac.jpg

3374749284_c237238c8d.jpg

With all the nearby waterfalls and caches at the falls, I was glad that the tunnel was far enough away from falls on either side to place a cache there when it was restored.

Because of the large amount of muggle-traffic in the area and the minimal brush by the tunnel, I had to go with a small cache that can hide.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Of my caches that I hid, this is my favorite hide: GC1P072 Tunnel Vision

3374062947_ce1220a4ac.jpg

3374749284_c237238c8d.jpg

With all the nearby waterfalls and caches at the falls, I was glad that the tunnel was far enough away from falls on either side to place a cache there when it was restored.

Because of the large amount of muggle-traffic in the area and the minimal brush by the tunnel, I had to go with a small cache that can hide.

I think I told my story of that tunnel when I found that cache.

Onionta Gorge is one of my favorite local places.

And, you beat me on placing a cache there....~LOL~

Hmm... I have all sorts of caches out there! Mircos, ammo cans, Lock and Locks. Depends on the situation. Beautiful urban views usually necessitates the use of micros. We like to show you pretty places.

3765b6b2-9260-402b-b939-cf41878d51a6.jpg

View of Manhattan from Weehawken, NJ. (Okay. that cache is a small Lock and Lock.)

But, we also have caches that require long hikes. They're fun too. They're ammo cans or Lock and Locks. (I find that Lock and Locks are easier to carry in, and easier to hide, than ammo cans. But we do have five or six ammo cans out there.)

Our favorite caches are: Clueless: The Revenge of Andy Bear which is a five stage mystery cache with a two mile round trip hike, and a few hundred feet of climb! In the Newark Watershed in Passaic County, NJ. Oh, well. It doesn't get a lot of finds.

And: Bear on the Loose a micro Letterbox Hybrid in Central Park, in NYC. That one gets a lot of visitors.

883312d1-74a8-4137-b75b-1d743a8c14d1.jpg

Grrr.....I WANT BEAUTIFUL SCENERY TO ENJOY WHILE LOOKING FOR CACHES!!! LIKE WATERFALLS AND ANCIENT RUINS, AND MOUNTAINS. OKAY TALKING MY PARENTS INTO MOVING THIS YEAR!!!!
This post got me thinking about location. Caching in and around the White Mountains, there are some great spots. I think my favorite location for one of my caches is my Earthcache, Sabbaday Falls.

4a9cad74-0c13-4e33-8a77-c096515d6bea.jpg4a42f314-5743-48d3-a61a-3432c066d9ff.jpg

505dc782-c33d-4d49-bbf2-e3592bb74edb.jpg

a477d812-8716-4de7-b4b3-f9cec35a8b2b.jpga5bfcf18-3fca-4277-bb47-558274a8e116.jpg

I got married at Sabaday Falls. We hopped the little fence (can't see it in the pic) and got hitched on the rocks shown in the bottom left photo. It was before I started caching but I have tons of pics of me in a poofy dress on that bridge and at the bottom of those falls. Does that count as a find? :(

More seriously, I was scrolling through this thread and recognized the place instantly from your pics. Isn't it a lovely spot? Thanks for the reminder!

Edited by Tcaches