Almost found first cache, but there's a catch

TomGuitarMan

Well, I didn't have a lot of time, but I gave a try at a quickie cache right near my house. Figured out where it is generally, but when I got there in the area, within a few dozen feet or so ... I wasn't sure what do do from there. The Garmin Nuvi 1300 didn't do anything much different...... friend of mine said he did one once and the GPS unit changed to a compass near the cache. Mine didn't do that........ should it have? Will try again tomorrow when I have more time to goof with it........ but it's freezing out.

Clueless here.

TY

Tom

If you feel that your FRED got you within a few feet, it's time to turn FRED off and use your other computer to find where the cache is at.

Your unit, no matter what make it is, will not put you on top of the cache, it will only put you in the vicinity (assuming the placement is right, and no other variables or gremlins enter the picture). You still gotta hunt for it!!

Just what fun would it be if the FRED did all of the work for you? B)

EDIT: FRED = Friggin' Radio Electronic Device.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you feel that your FRED got you within a few feet, it's time to turn FRED off and use your other computer to find where the cache is at.

Your unit, no matter what make it is, will not put you on top of the cache, it will only put you in the vicinity (assuming the placement is right, and no other variables or gremlins enter the picture). You still gotta hunt for it!!

Just what fun would it be if the FRED did all of the work for you? B)

EDIT: FRED = Friggin' Radio Electronic Device.

My Dad's name was Fred...... lol

OK, I'll turn FRED off, but "other computer" meaning brain, I assume, may or may not work well. It's CPU tends to go haywire in the cold.

I might also suggest to go back to the online description of the cache. That should give you an idea of the size. Scroll down and read through some of the logs for the cache. I find that reading the logs usually gives me a feel for what I'm looking for.

Dear Gravechaser -

TY very much. I noticed your quote ; Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati. I agree totally!

Now let us join together in the Men's Prayer:

I am a Man.

But I can change.

If I have to.

I guess.

I would suggest an inexpensive handheld device for Geocaching. Something like the Garmin Venture HC.

Leave the Nuvi in the car.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

Well, I didn't have a lot of time, but I gave a try at a quickie cache right near my house. Figured out where it is generally, but when I got there in the area, within a few dozen feet or so ... I wasn't sure what do do from there. The Garmin Nuvi 1300 didn't do anything much different...... friend of mine said he did one once and the GPS unit changed to a compass near the cache. Mine didn't do that........ should it have? Will try again tomorrow when I have more time to goof with it........ but it's freezing out.

Clueless here.

TY

Tom

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 HC and I found my first cache today yipppeeee!!!!!

My 1300 did not change to a compass when I got close, however once I drove close

I stopped the car and switched the GPS to pedestrian and it then took me right to it.

Clueless here.

TY

Tom

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1300 HC and I found my first cache today yipppeeee!!!!!

My 1300 did not change to a compass when I got close, however once I drove close

I stopped the car and switched the GPS to pedestrian and it then took me right to it.

Congratulations!!

You have started a long slippery slope. Some things you may want to check into in the future are GSAK and some macros for it that will let you go paperless with a Nuvi. Also, on some Nuvi models you can get to a satellite screen where you can see your coordinates in real time. It helps in the last few feet, and you may not have to change modes. Search in the GPS and Technology section. Happy Caching!

You should be able to get very close with the Nuvi. The best thing to do is put it away when you are close. Look around and think, "Where would I hide something?" It might be a good idea to take a printed cache page with you on some early ones.

Yes the Nuvi works. I use one for hiding caches to be "compliant". But if I was going to use a GPS for finding caches I'd go for something a bit more adapted for field use. The drawbacks are short battery life, awkward to carry while sliding down slopes or rock hopping, not very water resistant, and probably lots more that I'm unaware of. I know mine has no compass feature and regularly spins around and reverses it's polarity. You'll have to zoom out to see a known location on the map then orient yourself and zoom back in. But as far as accuracy I've never had a problem.

You should be able to get very close with the Nuvi. The best thing to do is put it away when you are close. Look around and think, "Where would I hide something?" It might be a good idea to take a printed cache page with you on some early ones.

Yes the Nuvi works. I use one for hiding caches to be "compliant". But if I was going to use a GPS for finding caches I'd go for something a bit more adapted for field use. The drawbacks are short battery life, awkward to carry while sliding down slopes or rock hopping, not very water resistant, and probably lots more that I'm unaware of. I know mine has no compass feature and regularly spins around and reverses it's polarity. You'll have to zoom out to see a known location on the map then orient yourself and zoom back in. But as far as accuracy I've never had a problem.

I got started with a Nuvi bought for my wife. Found over 50 caches with only it. I did order a Colorado and upgrade to premium membership within a week. Yet the fact remains a Nuvi will work. I have heard of people putting the Nuvi in a ziplock to deal with water. On runs that do not involve a 4 hour hike, the unit can be charged in the car. It will work.