Geocaching.com website problem

reef runner

Interestingly, I did not see the problem in the No Add-ins version, so tried my regular (with add-ins) version tonight here at home and also had no problem. So my issue may be different that reef runners. I definitely, and repeatedly, was able to create the problem today at work.

ReadyOrNot: Yes, I have also seen lockups with IE8, particularily at work, but there I need to actually use the Task Manager to kill IE. The problem that I am describing, and that Reef Runners may be experiencing, still allows me to do a refresh. This is not really a lock up. Even Reef Runner states that his back arrow is working.

Yes, you are nailing it. It's not really locked, to the point of having to use Task Manager, to kill IE, although, I did, the first several times. But yes, likewise, sometimes mine works perfectly, and then it will turn around and lock up, or freeze, or whatever it is termed. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason, as to when it will, or won't work properly. And yes, the "back up", or refresh, will usually cause the page to continue loading, even after getting the error tone and message.

Now, before I sent this message, I went back and tried the NO Add-Ons version. I GIVE UP - this time it worked, but so has the Add-Ons enabled version. Again, there is just no rhyme nor reason, or predictable pattern. I can't make it do the same thing, with any predictability.......???

This is definitely an IE8 problem. Ever since I installed IE8, I occasionally run into websites that completely lock-up my browser (to the point that I have to end-task on it). It almost always comes down to how IE8 handles javascript problems. I've been able to get around some of the problems by going into compatibility mode, but that doesn't always fix the problem.

Although the changes to the website are causing IE8 to lock-up, that doesn't mean that it's the fault of the website, especially when other browsers are not having a problem.

IE8 does have a cool javascript debugging feature, which is really cool. You can trace exactly where the javascript problem is and actually step through the javascript code.

Tools > Developer Tools ... Then click on 'Script' and then click 'Start Debugging'. You can put in break-points and do all kinds of cool stuff. If it is a javascript error that is causing the problem, the exact line will be highlighted when the problem occurs. Try this and post the code.

I've actually seen something similar in the office on 64-bit IE. Do you have the Java plug-in installed? Not javascript, but Java. You should check Add/Remove programs and uninstall all versions and install the latest build from here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Just a shot in the dark, but it's worth a try ;)

Hi Justin,

Thanks again, and yes I have Java, and it is up to date, as of Jan 19th, 2010.......

I've had the same problems mentioned in this thread on both of my computers since last week. I can't bring up the cache pages from the e-mail notification links, they just sit with a green screen. When I would search on the "map it" from my profile page, I could only see the cache "boxes" on the map page, but no streets. I would try to bring up the cache page from the "map it" page and it would "lock up", getting only a green screen with the curser arrow and hourglass. No amount of "refreshing" did the trick. This evening I finally decided to jump IE ship and download Firefox. In less than 5 min. everything is good here again! Should have moved on sooner I guess! Happy Caching!

Sorry for the previous post try.

I am new to the forum and I am also having the same trouble.

I am running internet explorer 7, and that is the only program that is running.

It started about a week ago.

I am glad that I found this thread because I was getting fustrated also.

At least now I know I can hit the F5 key to refresh the screen and can go about my business.

Hope we can get this problem solved.

Bob

At work today it was IE7, Firefox posting in the topic and Outlook 2007.

I am having problems. This started the first time I tried to access the website, geocachind.com, after whatever changes were made. I have tried to get help. Obviously, there are so many problems now, that no one knows what is going on. The people in customer service at contact@geocaching.com sent me a link, to a forum topic, where I am suppose to report my concerns. The topic is locked. So I will try to start another one. I have written and written about this, until I am disgusted and tired, so I won't bother whoever might read this, with all my previous details and emails and forum post.

Here is what you might want to know............and please understand, I am having this problem on three separate computers, (Lenovo, HP, & Dell) two on XP, and one on Vista, all set up and configured at different times. They are all running IE8, and they all have been running IE8, with “zero” problems. I have also utilized all of these computers, to access geocaching.com, in the past, but prior, to whatever changes have been made to the site. All of my computers are updated constantly, automatically and manually, fully scanned daily, and I have done everything that has been suggested, concerning clearing the browser's cache, rebooting, refreshing, checking to see if javascript is enabled, etc. Again, three separate computers that are not networked together, three different brands, all with the same problem. I have absolutely not problems with anything else, or any other website. What has geocaching.com done, that is different from every other website, out there?

Now here is what has been happening, and what happened immediately after following all previous instructions, from others that have tried so earnestly, to help me. And to those, I thank you.........

HERE GOES - After doing everything that has been recommended, last night, here’s how it went, step by step:

I brought up the computer

I brought up my browser

I typed in www.geocaching.com

I entered my username

I entered my password

I clicked on my username at the top of the page

I was taken to my profile page

I clicked the link to find caches around my home coordinates

I immediately got the error tone and message:

X Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;lng=-78.373064

Operation Aborted

OK

When I hit OK, the screen on the active tab goes blank, as if I have no internet connection. It just sits there, as if it is trying to load, turning and turning and turning. When I try to close that tab, it won’t close, and I get the following message:

X This window is busy

Closing this window might cause some problems.

Do you want to close it anyway?

OK Cancel

No matter what I choose, it will not close the tab, where I tried to use the website. I then have to shut everything down, and completely exit my browser, just to continue using my computer.

As I have said, I am just about fed up with geocaching.com, at this point. Basically, I’m dead in the water………….

Thanks for reading............(Reef Runner)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having a similar problem, except it's not crashing me out......I get an error and then I hit refresh and the pages shows ok, but when I go to like pg 2 it does it again, but when I hit refresh this time it takes me back to pg 1......very very frustrating because I can't search for more than a couple pages before I'm booted!

I've been re-reading your posts to see if you are seeing the same issue that I am, or not. I do get the header of the cache listing page, but do not get the caches, unless I hit Refresh (F5) one or more times.

The page that I get looks like this:

2df0d23c-f673-48d5-9ba3-9d7e2fb8a1d0.jpg

Notice the "Error on page" message in the lower left. If you click on the icon to the left of that, you will bring up a window with the actual error message. What I get is this:

Webpage error details

Message: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

If this is also what you are seeing, then it has been reported and acknowleged in at least one other thread. And as I said above, hitting F5 one or more times (usually just once) will get the rest of the page to list.

This is exactly what I'm getting, but when I refresh it sends me back to pg 1.

I have been having loads of trouble with the site freezing. Also, I keep having to log in. i.e. it keeps kicking me out! eg. I click the map and then click a cache expecting to see the latest logs and I get kicked out. I can view them by relogging but I am always getting kicked out after the intial log in.

I've been having this problem too. I think since the site update last week but don't remember for sure.

Using both IE7 and IE8, On XP and Vista (I'll try on W7 tonight).

It's annoying, but clicking refresh one or more times usually gets me to the list.

Hope it gets resolved but it isn't keeping me from getting what I want/need, just slowing me down a bit. Thanks for looking into the issue.

While I am a programmer, I am NOT a web developer, and as such, I am NOT saying that this IS the problem, but...

The error that I am getting references KB927917

According to Microsoft's knowledgebase article for that error:

This problem occurs because a child container HTML element contains script that tries to modify the parent container element of the child container. The script tries to modify the parent container element by using either the innerHTML method or the appendChild method.

The code for the All Geocaches list page includes the following java script for Google-Analytics that contains an appendChild call:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
	var _gaq = _gaq || [];
	_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-2020240-1']);
	_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

(function() {
		var ga = document.createElement('script');
		ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ?
				'https://ssl' : 'http://www') +
				'.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
		ga.setAttribute('async', 'true');
		document.documentElement.firstChild.appendChild(ga);
	})();
</script>

That would also seem to tie in with Mtn-Man's experience that the Google Add-ins at least contribute to the problem, wouldn't it?

Edited by knowschad

I've been re-reading your posts to see if you are seeing the same issue that I am, or not. I do get the header of the cache listing page, but do not get the caches, unless I hit Refresh (F5) one or more times.

Notice the "Error on page" message in the lower left. If you click on the icon to the left of that, you will bring up a window with the actual error message. What I get is this:

Webpage error details

Message: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

If this is also what you are seeing, then it has been reported and acknowleged in at least one other thread. And as I said above, hitting F5 one or more times (usually just once) will get the rest of the page to list.

Yes, sometimes I get that exact page, but when I do, I hit the "back page" button, then "forward" and it will usually load correctly, maybe after two attempts. The Refresh button has the same effect.

But, sometimes, it just simply throws up the error message in the middle of the screen, but I have found now, that I can also "back page", the "forward page", several times, and that also will clear it up...............

Same for me too on IE6 and XP professional.

Works fine on chrome though.

Webpage error details

Yes, sometimes I get that exact page, but when I do, I hit the "back page" button, then "forward" and it will usually load correctly, maybe after two attempts. The Refresh button has the same effect.

But, sometimes, it just simply throws up the error message in the middle of the screen, but I have found now, that I can also "back page", the "forward page", several times, and that also will clear it up...............

Same for me too on IE6 and XP professional.

Works fine on chrome though.

I am have the same thing happen I can go back then click the page number again and it will load. This is with XP SP3 IE 8, I had IE6 but had to wait about 15 to 30 sec for a page to load and the maps only showed caches and no roads.

When I first laod IE8 it worked great but about a week ago this started. It is not all pages about every 3rd one. It is a PITA but mountain bike said that I was just causing trouble

Webpage error details

When page does not display I

Clicked on error and got this.

IWebpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Timestamp: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:12:18 UTC

Line: 0

Char: 0

Code: 0

URI: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...676&dist=25

I suspect that this issue is due to known Javascript errors that are occurring on pages that serve ads. These ads appear if you are a basic member and do not if you are premium, but the Javascript that controls the display runs regardless. These errors only seem to affect IE.

I'm not positive that this is the cause as the crash/freeze that some are reporting does not happen for us internally. However, you might try installing another browser and seeing if that corrects the issue for you.

This is of course just a workaround solution. I'm going to see if the errors can be hotfixed and if so try to get the fix pushed out; if not, it will have to wait until the next release of the site.

Thank you for your patience.

Well, I'm a premium member and having the same issues so that kinda blows the ad thing out of the water...... Any idea on what is causing the hang-ups? I'll get you whatever info you need because until this is fixed, I can't use Geocaching.com because I can't get anywhere on the site without having to start all over every 2 seconds.

Well, I'm a premium member and having the same issues so that kinda blows the ad thing out of the water...... Any idea on what is causing the hang-ups? I'll get you whatever info you need because until this is fixed, I can't use Geocaching.com because I can't get anywhere on the site without having to start all over every 2 seconds.
I'm a premium member as well. Premium members still get the code that I pasted into post #64.

I'm having these exact same problems using IE8. I've refreshed, used F5, and hit the back and forward button. I also disabled my add-ons. No luck with anything. I'm getting that same "parcel" error. This happens when I search near my home coordinates and try to look at my past finds. I hope there's a fix for all this in our near future.

OK, being the originator of this topic (big mess), I would like to ask a specific question, specifically directed to some of the MODERATORS of this forum, that may or may not be, still monitoring this subject. My question is this:

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME, WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP, OR CONNECTION, BETWEEN www.geocaching.com and http://forums.Groundspeak.com , SO FAR AS HOW, EITHER MAY, OR MAY NOT REACT, WHEN ACCESSED SIMULTANEOUSLY, ONLINE ????

WHY DO I ASK, YOU SAY: Well, just to refresh your memory, or to bring my particular problem, back to mind, here is what was, and still is, happening:

Since the recent changes to the GC.com website, I have had a problem on three separate computers, (Lenovo, HP, & Dell) two on XP, and one on Vista, all set up and configured at different times, all three on IE8, and all three running IE8, with “zero” problems, prior to those website changes. In addition, all three computers are 100% up to date, as updated constantly, automatically and manually, fully scanned daily, and likewise, I have done everything that has been suggested through this forum, concerning clearing the browser's cache, rebooting, refreshing, checking to see if javascript is enabled, etc. Again, three separate computers that are not networked together, three different brands, all with the same problem, and none of the three have had any problems, of any kind, with anything else, or any other website.

Now, as for the details of my OS and browser, here they are, once again: Three (3) separate computers (Lenovo, HP, & Dell) two are on Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600, and they are using IE8 browser version 8.0.6001.18702. The third computer is on Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002, and likewise, it is using IE8 browser version 8.0.6001.18865.

Now, here is how the actual problem goes:

I bring up my browser (IE8)

I access www.geocaching.com

I enter my username & my password

I click on my username at the top of the page, to go to my profile page

I click the link to search for caches around my home coordinates

I quite frequently get the following message, along with an error tone:

Operation Aborted

OK

When I hit OK, the screen on the active tab goes blank, as if I have no internet connection. Then it just sits there, as if it is trying to load a page, turning and turning and turning. If I attempt to close that tab, it won’t close, and I then get the following message:

X This window is busy

Closing this window might cause some problems.

Do you want to close it anyway?

OK Cancel

I then have to force shut, the browser and exit, in order to continue using my computer.

Now as I said earlier, this does not happen every time and appeared to be unpredictable, however, I have now found that with the use of the “Back Page”, the “Forward Page”, and/or the “Refresh” or “F5” key, I can usually get the error message to go away, and eventually, the page will load.

Also, in a previous log, I asked the following question, and so far as I can see, no one has so much as acknowledged, that I even questioned this.”

“Does anyone know if being logged onto the Groundspeak forum, at the same time has any effect. I have logged onto that first, then gone to another windows tab, and logged onto geocaching.com, and then pulled up the caches successfully.”

Which now brings me back to my original question, at the beginning of this post? After muddling around with this problem, for some days now, I have at least gotten something to occur, over and over, with some degree of “PREDICTABILITY”, but I don’t know why, therefore, my re-entry into this abandoned (by me, anyway) quest.

Here’s what is happening NOW:

I access www.geocaching.com

I entered my username & my password

I click the link to begin the search, for caches around my home coordinates

I ALWAYS get the following message, along with an error tone:

Operation Aborted

OK

So, I go through the process of forcing the browser to close down and start over.

NOW - THIS TIME I DO THE FOLLOWING: (something different)

I access the Groundspeak Forums page http://forums.Groundspeak.com FIRST

I enter my username & my password & I’m LOGGED ON

THEN, I open a “SECOND TAB

and

Now, I access www.geocaching.com

I enter my username & my password

I click the link to search for caches around my home coordinates

And, VOILA, it works perfectly – there are the caches, just as they should be !!!

OK, FLUKE YOU SAY – I CAN HEAR IT NOW !!!!

Well, just so you will know that I am not hallucinating, or jumping to some irrational conclusion, I have just set here, and duplicated this occurrence, 10 to 12 times, consecutively, and without fail. I have closed down the browser completely, each time between tests, and cleared the browser cache. It has worked perfectly, every time that I opened and signed onto the “Forums” page on the first tab, and then opened GC.com on a second tab. Every single time, that I have opened GC.com, on the first tab, and attempted the search, I have experienced the error condition, that I have already expressed, way, way too many times, on this forum.

Call me crazy, but this is happening, on my computer, anyway………..

Could anyone possibly expound on what may be happening here, and especially the relationship of the two websites, and how they may relate to each other, when being accessed from the same system, at the same time ??????????? (again, I hope this will help to get the problem solved) :(:(:(

Edited by reef runner

OK! SO, JUST SO YOU KNOW....I AM NOT A MODERATOR... :mellow:

Let's try to keep the shouting to a minimum, OK? I think we all can hear your frustration without the emphasized and bolded text.

The connection is that the geocaching.com servers communicate your password and some of your profile information to the forum software at groundspeack.com. Otherwise, I think that's about it.

Now, it sounds to me as though you are implying that, since you have three totally different computers on different networks that are experiencing the same problem, that what you are experiencing is due to something on the geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com side of the equation and that you have conclusively determined that it has nothing to with circumstances under your control.

But what I think that you're forgetting is that 99.9% of the rest of the world (well... that part of them that geocache and visit the forums with IE8) are not experiencing the same problems that you are. If they (we) were, you can bet you'd know it by the pandemonium here. You've seen what just a little extra white space can do!

If I were you, I would focus on what is the one common denominator to your three computers, and try to eliminate that, if even just for testing purposes. For one thing... have you yet tried other browsers like Firefox or Chrome? What were the results?

OK! SO, JUST SO YOU KNOW....I AM NOT A MODERATOR... :mellow:

Let's try to keep the shouting to a minimum, OK? I think we all can hear your frustration without the emphasized and bolded text.

The connection is that the geocaching.com servers communicate your password and some of your profile information to the forum software at groundspeack.com. Otherwise, I think that's about it.

Now, it sounds to me as though you are implying that, since you have three totally different computers on different networks that are experiencing the same problem, that what you are experiencing is due to something on the geocaching.com/Groundspeak.com side of the equation and that you have conclusively determined that it has nothing to with circumstances under your control.

But what I think that you're forgetting is that 99.9% of the rest of the world (well... that part of them that geocache and visit the forums with IE8) are not experiencing the same problems that you are. If they (we) were, you can bet you'd know it by the pandemonium here. You've seen what just a little extra white space can do!

If I were you, I would focus on what is the one common denominator to your three computers, and try to eliminate that, if even just for testing purposes. For one thing... have you yet tried other browsers like Firefox or Chrome? What were the results?

Okay, seeing as you are not a moderator, I see no reason for you to get involved. However, if you had read the previous post, you would also have seen, that "yes", I have tried Firefox. I have done everything, that everyone has suggested. Likewise, don't sit there and try to tell me that I'm the only one having problems with the website, since the changes on GC.com. I'm reading post after post after post, where people are having problem after problem, with the site, and while I'm venting, I don't see where you have any right or business, to pick and make fun of, the other member, who just happened to be using an older computer, with an older OS and browser. That's his business, and very little of yours. Everyone doesn't have the latest and greatest techie toys from cyberland..........so you can cool it, on that.

Now, as for my last post, I was simply trying to help, the moderators who have been so gracious, as to offer advice, concerning my "isolated" problem. I was merely trying to recap, in one post, and likewise, point out something, new or odd, that I had been able to pinpoint. No, I can't explain why it's happening, as I described. That's why I came back and reposted everything.

So unless you have something useful to add, I really don't care for your comments, anymore, plus, I'm well aware of forum protocol.

Thank you very much.... (and I hope this font meets with your approval)

Edited by reef runner

For what it's worth, I've been reading this topic for a few days after stumbling upon it. At first I did not know what the problem was and neither did my ISP know, nor could they help me. After much tweeking and re-loading software, I was exhausted and drained.

I have the same exact problem with my Windows XP and IE 7 and only on the geocaching website. As soon as I try to navigate or look something up, my puter locks up and I get weird visuals and error messages.

After reading the suggested recommendations, I loaded Google Chrome and tried it. Works fine as far as getting into the site and looking things up.

THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM..... WHEN I ATTEMPT TO FILTER OUT MY FOUND CACHES IN THE SEARCH MODE, IT DOESNT DO THAT, AND RETURNS A FULL LIST OF CACHES I'VE ALREADY DONE, AS WELL AS THE ONES I NEED MIXED IN WITH THE RESULTS PAGE.

VERY ANNOYING TO SAY THE LEAST..

Has anyone resolved the above search issue as yet?

Reef Runner

I had never tried to go in the way that you do , but I like the way caches are listed. But some times I still get this.

I just wish some one would give some time frame on a FIX

Edited by Camper Guy

I had never tried to go in the way that you do , but I like the way caches are listed. But some times I still get this.

Here is an explanation of the problem you are seeing. It's complicated but there is a simple fix there that might work. From what is written there, it might also work to be sure that the page has loaded completely before clicking on anything. It's a problem with the way that the Microsoft browser is written combined with the way Javascript is implemented on the page.

The best solution seems to be to use a better browser, like Firefox or Chrome. Avoiding Microsoft software is rarely a bad thing.

Edited by fizzymagic

Here is something to try, to make due.

When the page comes up, as soon as you see links, click the "stop" button. The red stop button. This might help stop the website from loading the stuff thats locking the computer.

I have to do that with a few webpages that are including ads. The ad servers are clogged up and I get tired of waiting in que for the ad to load.

Unfortunately, once it loads the ad script, you will be messed up.

Anyhow, give it a shot. It can't hurt.

I’m getting the same error when looking at cache listings on profile pages. The error seems intermittent and has started to happen after the recent upgrade. For info I use XP and IE7

18c50ffc-1086-4fad-858b-c26ca6d47410.jpg

Ok, now the errors have gotten worse....now I'm getting this one as well as the other errors and it's crashing the browser. This is getting old fast.

Win XP SP3 IE 8.0.6001.18702

I'm getting the same problems as Reef Runner. It started about a week ago. About the time of the "upgrade"? Never had any problems like this before and don't have any problems with any other sites.

And, I'm not going to change my browser as IE8 works fine for the rest of the internet.

Unfortunately, I have since the new release, an ever-poorer side construction. Either will be shown only half the page, or I can not scroll, or am I just an error with connection problems. Page is canceled ...

Why might that be? On my computer, not more, everything is up to date.

Even go to the forum's tough enough and associated with crashes.

At that time (before release) and everything worked ..... now it's no fun anymore!

Other programs are all working normally!

I feel your pain reef runner! I am having the same issues as you are on my home computer as well as 3 different work computers. Seems like this has just become a problem in the last week or so. I have never had a problem until then. The problem has to with the Geocaching website and not everyone's individual computers. The problem seems to be intermittent as well. Very frustrating :)

I don't know if this is a similar error or a new one, but I got an error

Server Error

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

When i was trying to send an email to another cacher through the site. This occurred when I hit "send message" When I hit the back arrow I was able to get back to the previous page and my text (my answers to an earthcache that I spend the last 1/2 hour composing arrrrrgggggghhhhhh) displayed for half a second and then vanished (no amount of back and forward and refreshing would make it reappear). My window didn't seize up like the OPs. The second time I hit send the same thing happened but luckily I had copied my text that time.

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.17 /Mozilla 5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) on Fedora with no add-ons

Yikes. knowschad has contributed quite a bit on this subject and has been really trying to help a lot. You need to go back and look at some of his posts. Ease up a bit and hopefully the site developers will figure things out.
Thanks for the support, Mtn-Man.

Reef Runner... I was only referring to the noise level and apparent impatience in your post, and that was only my first two sentences. The rest of my post was still trying to be helpful. If you will see my post #29, post #64, and others, it should be clear that I have been on your side in this all along.

There have been a great many complaints about the look and feel of this release, but aside from those using IE6, there have been relatively few functional bugs. That is what I was referring to when I said that this most users are not experiencing this problem, even though you are on three computers. My intention by saying that was an attempt to focus your attention back to your environment, where I believe it needs to be. There is something in the environment that your three computers (and one of mine as well, I might add!) and those of a few others that is interacting badly with a change that Groundspeak has made. If they are not able to duplicate the problem (and apparently that have not at this time) then we need to try to figure out what that is by looking at our own environments.

Folks, updating your browser or even having a second browser on-hand is not equivalent to opening your wallet for hardware upgrades or getting your A+ certification. There are other websites that will not display correctly in IE6 and IE8, you just haven't visited them yet.

Are the IE6/8 issues a pain in the neck? Yes. Would it have been nice to have some heads-up before the changes? Sure. Nate has already said that IE6 and the maps issue is being worked on, but for those of you that can upgrade/download a new/different browser... give it a try. Nobody is asking you to unscrew the case of your PC and plug or unplug anything; nobody is suggesting that you edit your registry. It's really very, very simple to install these browsers and keeping your browser updated is actually the responsible/safe thing to do anyway.

Knowschad

"There have been a great many complaints about the look and feel of this release, but aside from those using IE6, there have been relatively few functional bugs. That is what I was referring to when I said that this most users are not experiencing this problem, even though you are on three computers."

There may be a few functional bugs but this one has a lot of people up set, every one with IE6, IE7 and IE8.

I was on XP sp3 IE6 could not do anything hardy for waiting for pages to load 20 to 30 sec per page. Changed to IE8 as most said to do, now still have pages that will not load the first time go back and try again and it works. It's PITA.

Every thing worked before the change and now it is my computer that is at fault.

Well, I told myself, that I was not going to jump back into this mess (that I started), what seems like ages ago. I told myself to “stand down”. I have bitten my tongue, over and over, as I have continued to see, member after member, chime in, with the same, or similar problem. (BTW, to those of you that did, I thank you for your support, however, I sympathize with your plight.) And yes, I’m the bad guy here that started this post. How dare I do such……………..

As for me, I have listened to this, just about as long as I intend to. At this point, as I told Mtn-Man in a PM, I was simply frustrated, and may have vented, a little too much, in one of my previous post. If that be the case, I apologize, to anyone that I may have offended, especially “knowschad”, (nothing personal, I assure you). You just caught me at a bad time.

And as I also told Mtn-Man, I DO NOT have to GeoCache. It’s a hobby, it’s supposed to be fun, and we shouldn’t have to put up with this kind of situation (trying to be nice here). Needless to say, I am sick and tired, of people trying to tell me that my computer is screwed up, and I am the only person in the world with a problem, and that I should clean up my own house. Well to that, I say, “well I won’t say!” But from the looks of this forum, I’m beginning to feel, “Not So All Alone”.

But just so everyone will know, I can assure you, that my house is clean. I’ve even had an outside party to check my systems, and I am happy to report that they are quite “healthy”.......as in “No Problems”.

Now, just an update on browsers. I may have held back a little information in the beginning, but in the beginning, I was using IE8, and IE8 is what I was having the problem with, hence, I started this topic, concerning problems with GC.com and IE8. The GC.com people told me to address my concerns on the forum, so I intentionally directed my post to appear, as if I only had IE8. I really didn’t want to focus, on anything else, but now, just to clear the air; I do have three browsers on my computers, and have had them, for some time now. They are IE8, Mozilla FireFox, and Google Chrome, and each and every one of these browsers are the very latest versions, with all updates. I use them all, off and on, but most of the time it’s IE8. And yes, it’s obvious, that the common denominator, with my three computers, is IE8, and how it interacts with GC.com’s recent changes, and to that, I say, so what? Half the world uses IE (various versions). Half the world doesn’t even know, that there is anything else to use. They use what came on their computers, and that’s it. And on this note, I refuse to believe, the GC.com, would intentionally design anything, that won’t work with IE, whether they, or you, personally like Microsoft, or not. Incidentally, I don’t disagree with any of the comments about getting away from Microsoft, but in this case, I happen to like IE, and I just don’t like either of those other two browsers. I’m sure they are fine, and I have honestly tried, numerous times, to force myself to use them on a regular basis. I have actually set my default browser, to them, and I have tried them, for weeks at a time. Sorry, I just did not like either of the other two browsers, better than I liked IE8, and I intend to continue using IE8, regardless.

And yes, GC.com, does not seem to have a conflict, with FireFox, or with Chrome ! Great !

I think that all of these people, that are having similar problems, are just making a plea to GC.com, to “fix” the problem. Sure, we may be the 1/10 % of the world, who are having this problem, while 99.9 % are not, but for some reason, the troubled users are sure coming out of the woodwork now. You know, it’s like in business, the majority of people (customers) hate to complain, and most won't, but unfortunately, it’s those that don’t complain, that you usually end up loosing. You just never hear from them again…………….so to each his own. I think I’ll go do something else now, and maybe I’ll check back on geocaching.com later, much later.

Edited by reef runner

I believe that I erroneously stated somewhere above that I was getting this error both at work and at home with IE8. I have checked several times since then, and I am not seeing it at home at all. I am still seeing it at work (Symantec Antivirus 10.1.6.6000). I have another computer running IE7 that does not show this problem. Both are running the same version of antivirus and, of course, connecting through the same firewall.

Reef Runner... to clarify what I was saying... I think that you missed or miread part of my last post. I was not saying that there was anything wrong with your environment per se... please see the second bolded portion below, keeping in mind that I, too, and experiencing the same problem in one of my environments:

My intention by saying that was an attempt to focus your attention back to your environment, where I believe it needs to be. There is something in the environment that your three computers (and one of mine as well, I might add!) and those of a few others that is interacting badly with a change that Groundspeak has made.

I believe I have solved this issue. Disabling the CoolIris image gallery add-on fixed it for me. No more problem loading the list of caches nearest me, no more error displayed in the status bar.

The version that I have installed is version 1.11.2. I don't know if perhaps an update would fix the problem or not, but I'm just going to be uninstalling CoolIris completely.

The computers I use at work that I am experiencing these problems with are running IE6, and as I stated before I am using IE7 at home. Having the problem at both locations.
Have you got CoolIris installed?

Incidentally, I suspected CoolIris because sometimes I'd visit other sites and have the tabs totally freeze up on me. Today I noticed the Error icon in the status bar & checked the details. It wasn't the same error, but this time it directly implicated CoolIris. So I disabled it and that page opened just fine for me. Then I went back out of curiousity and checked the Geocaching pages that had given me trouble before, and >BINGO!< no more problem.

Edited by knowschad

I checked the error message when the search result page did not display.

It said HTML Parsing Error-Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

Doesn't mean anything to me but maybe the powers to be can fix this issue.

It said HTML Parsing Error-Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)

Yup! That is exactly the error that I was getting and that I fixed by removing CoolIris. It may well be that CoolIris is not the only add-on that can cause this problem (in an email, Reef Runner told me that he doesn't have it, and doesn't even know what it is, but I also know that many people inadvertantly install add-ons without even realizing it).

Yup! That is exactly the error that I was getting and that I fixed by removing CoolIris.

I see that you couldn't be bothered to follow the link I posted in #78 which led to a detailed explanation of this problem. If you had, then you would understand why plug-ins can trigger it and that the problem does not lie with the add-ons but with the architecture of IE.

I'm super happy that you found that removing an add-on stopped the problem with the geocaching.com pages for you. However, your assumption that the problem is a result of a bad add-on, and that there is nothing wrong with the site, is incorrect.

There is a problem with the IE DOM architecture. There is also a problem with the site in that it does not correctly address the IE problem. As a result, some configurations of IE will exhibit the problem. If gc.com wants people using IE to be able to use the site, I think the most reasonable approach would be to fix the site to account for the IE bug, rather than asking them to change configurations until the problem stops.