A coin made just for natural disasters?

Eric K

Just a thought for discussion.

When incidents such as Haiti or the hurricane hit in New Orleans or the tsunami from a fe years back or other natural disasters happen, people generally want to donate while their emotions are at the highest.

Do you guys think the public would be open to the idea of a coin that is sold during these times and that a portion of the sales would go to someone like the Red Cross when the disaster strikes?

My thinking is maybe have some kind of coin that is kept in stock and then when a disaster hits and people want to give the most put the coin on sale for a few weeks.

Any thoughts on this?

As usual please don't turn this into a flame war or personal attacks. Just looking for intelligent opinions on the positve and negatives of this idea discussed in a professional manner.

Thanks,

Eric K

Edited by Eric K

I wouldn't recommend using any kind of red cross imagery on a coin, especially anything that looks like the Red Cross' coin. They are extremely protective of the symbol and very sensitive to its use.

I'm with WWC on this; on the other hand, if this spurs people towards making /some/ money available (as opposed, say, to none at all), I'm all for it. ; )

How about a Generic 'Red Cross'???

Listing the types of natural disasters on the reverse??

~J

Might be something worth while investigating... I may try to draw something up within the next day or so to see what it'd be like... I have ideas floating around in my head already for that

~J

Might be something worth while investigating... I may try to draw something up within the next day or so to see what it'd be like... I have ideas floating around in my head already for that

As stated in another post the likelyhood of using the Red Cross symbol are about slim to none. Understandably so they are very specific on the use of their logo.

Use of Red Cross logo guidelines

~J

As stated in another post the likelyhood of using the Red Cross symbol are about slim to none. Understandably so they are very specific on the use of their logo.

I wonder if there's a manufacturer out there that'd be willing to donate the entire cost(s) of production so 100% of all sales could go to the red cross... if they could... maybe the red cross could be approached in using their logo(s) on the coin seeing as there'd be no profit to be made by someone else...

Personally, I think more money is raised when people put up their own personal geocoins, or their special, possibly hard to find geocoins up for auction, than a generic disaster coin would raise.

It would disturb me if all of the funds made from a disaster geocoin were not sent to the relief effort, and a coin company was making money off of others pain.

That's my personal opinion.

I think the concept works better for times of non-disaster. Times when people otherwise wouldn't be donating to a certain specific cause if not for the coin. Like the Help for Heroes coin. A noble charity that I had never heard of before a fantastic coin was made for them. Not only did the sale pull donations from people from around the whole globe, it also informed us about the organization.

In the case of natural disasters, I have heard about it and will donate on my own. Much more than the dollar or two that a coin would raise. I'd probably even forgo buying the coin because I'd rather just send all of the money where it's needed, and send it through my company, which is graciously not only matching, but double-matching employee donations in light of the earthquake in Haiti. Especially if it's a generic coin available only when disaster strikes.

edit to add: but I don't buy many coins anymore anyway. There was certainly a time when I'd buy everything made regardless of what I was spending other money on. I'm sure there are still those that do need every coin.

Edited by ThirstyMick

~J

Thanx for the LINK Erik,

It actually tells you what can and can;t be done.

Instead of " You Need Permission " :P No Kidding!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a Hand reaching up to another hand.

If it's for a disaster, How fast can they be made after the disaster hits.

The thought would be to keep them in stock and when a disaster hits put them on sale. I think generally people tend to give more while an incident is fresh on their minds.

I like your idea about the helping hands.

How about a Hand reaching up to another hand.

If it's for a disaster, How fast can they be made after the disaster hits.

The thought would be to keep them in stock and when a disaster hits put them on sale. I think generally people tend to give more while an incident is fresh on their minds.

I like your idea about the helping hands

Honestly, I would probably buy one the first time, but after that, I wouldn't buy the same coin again.

I'd rather give it all to the Red Cross.

An opinion and a suggestion.

Like someone wrote before in this item. Let the coinmaker(s) donate a special coin for this earthquake disaster and I'll buy one. Not a "regular" disaster coin! That's a kind of general source and not specific for the people involved. On the other hand, if you make a coin now, people are not running that hard anymore after several weeks. So try to organise all the coinmakers and sellers to make commercials for this coin.

A special banner on their selling sites and you can donate NOW by subscribing for this special Haiti earthquake disastercoin. But who's organising all this :( i don't have the time and nowhow for making a coin.

heres an idea, how about having the same back on each one and each disaster, make a new front, like a series, i think some would not buy a same coin over and over, and over, it would cut costs, on dies, and some would probably buy 2 or three for trading to those who are collecting the series, also these type of events usually make it into the history books, and could later be resold possibly for more, due to the historic value,,it would be cool 10 -20 years down the road for some to hit a history musium