What if you find a premium cache and youre not a prem. member?

angel78556

So, apparently, my dad found a premium cache, that of course wasnt listed, so i thought it was something else, because when i looked for it on the map, it wasnt there. I think if we FIND a premium cache, we SHOULD be able to LOG it, but i mean come on, why not? If non members didnt get the coords, but could still LOG, it would be fairer right?

Edited by angel78556

So, apparently, my dad found a premium cache, that of course wasnt listed, so i thought it was something else, because when i looked for it on the map, it wasnt there. I think if we FIND a premium cache, we SHOULD be able to LOG it, but i mean come on, why not? If non members didnt get the coords, but could still LOG, it would be fairer right?

There is a way. I don't recall the details off hand. Try searching for back door. You should find a bunch of threads with the info on how to do it.

There is a way. I don't recall the details off hand. Try searching for back door. You should find a bunch of threads with the info on how to do it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fb-33060d38770d

this is the one

I found some premium caches, signed the logs but couldn't log them online as I was only a basic member. Signed up for premium membership and logged them then, using the date on which I found them. I suppose that's the front door...I just figured I couldn't log them unless I was a premium member because that is what the caches' owners wanted. 2 were on their private property so I suppose that is why they chose to limit access a bit.

I read about the back door route after becoming a PM...but have no regrets about paying $30 US!

I found some premium caches, signed the logs but couldn't log them online as I was only a basic member. Signed up for premium membership and logged them then, using the date on which I found them. I suppose that's the front door...I just figured I couldn't log them unless I was a premium member because that is what the caches' owners wanted. 2 were on their private property so I suppose that is why they chose to limit access a bit.

I read about the back door route after becoming a PM...but have no regrets about paying $30 US!

where is that topic? or the keywords?

One way around it is to become a premium member and help support the site. I'm not knockin' ya ... just sayin' :huh:

Oh i definitely plan to eventuallly! right now

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

3. my gps isnt the best...

and 4. cant afford it XD

but i WOULD however like to log the correct cache that i already found ;D

I hope thats not a bad thing to want, but it was a really cool cache, and my dad wanted to say thanks to the creators and stuff like that, since he works RIGHT next to where it is.

One way around it is to become a premium member and help support the site. I'm not knockin' ya ... just sayin' :huh:

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

I hope thats not a bad thing to want, but it was a really cool cache, and my dad wanted to say thanks to the creators and stuff like that, since he works RIGHT next to where it is.

If you know the GC number then put that number in the first page and it will take you to the cache page so you can log it (If I recall correctly)

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

If you know the GC number then put that number in the first page and it will take you to the cache page so you can log it (If I recall correctly)

i thought since it was a premium cache i cant know the GC number, at least form the website, but when we found it, we had no idea it was a premium cache!

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

i thought since it was a premium cache i cant know the GC number, at least form the website, but when we found it, we had no idea it was a premium cache!

Thats why I said "if you know". Some caches have the cache number on or in them.

Otherwise, I think you can go to the owner of the cache (if you know it) and look at their "owned" caches and see if you can narrow it down. Or you can look at the logsheet and pull some previous finders names and ask them if they know the GC code for the cache, or just look at the found logs for the other signers of the cache log.

There are ways if you really want to work at it.

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

Thats why I said "if you know". Some caches have the cache number on or in them.

Otherwise, I think you can go to the owner of the cache (if you know it) and look at their "owned" caches and see if you can narrow it down. Or you can look at the logsheet and pull some previous finders names and ask them if they know the GC code for the cache, or just look at the found logs for the other signers of the cache log.

There are ways if you really want to work at it.

Why not contact the cache owner and ask permission to sign it. They can turn off the premium member function for a few minutes to allow the logging of the cache. I have done this and it is no big deal.

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

You're now a premium member. :)

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

O_O how did THAT happen?!

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

Call it a gift to a fellow geocacher. :anicute:

Edited by cycler48

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

Looks like someone wants to build a bit of a positive balance in their karma account. Nice thing to do C48.

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

Looks like someone wants to build a bit of a positive balance in their karma account. Nice thing to do C48.

Hahahaha ... I've got a lot of good karma going for me in my old age. Don't tell anyone though ... it might ruin my reputation for being a sarcastic, cynical, miserable old goat who hates everyone.

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

Hahahaha ... I've got a lot of good karma going for me in my old age. Don't tell anyone though ... it might ruin my reputation for being a sarcastic, cynical, miserable old goat who hates everyone.

Whoa... I dont know what to say, but... Thank you! I never forget a favor no matter how small, so if you need anything in return, just say the word!

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

In that case I take it all back, you sarcastic, cynical, miserable old goat.

If you know of someone who is a PM they can send you a link to the log page. If you need help with it email us the name and number of the cache you need to log and we will send a link of the page back to you.

Cachensfun

You don't need a link to the PM log page. Just start to log a random cache and change the log.aspx?ID=some number to log.aspx?WP=PM cache GC# and refresh the url.

Jim

Edited by jholly

If you know of someone who is a PM they can send you a link to the log page. If you need help with it email us the name and number of the cache you need to log and we will send a link of the page back to you.

Cachensfun

You don't need a link to the PM log page. Just start to log a random cache and change the log.aspx?ID=some number to log.aspx?WP=PM cache GC# and refresh the url.

Jim

I knew there was a simple way to do it but couldn't remember it for the life of me.

One way around it is to become a premium member and help support the site. I'm not knockin' ya ... just sayin' :)

1. i dont have a car.

2. im still in school

and 4. cant afford it XD

You're now a premium member. :anicute:

Whoa... I dont know what to say, but... Thank you! I never forget a favor no matter how small, so if you need anything in return, just say the word!

My pleasure. :huh:

That was awesome of you c48. Really. It has actually inspired me to do the same.

I am a strong believer in karma but I also like to do good things just because I can.

Kinda like reverse karma... I have had people do good things for me, so I like to repay.

But then... sometimes we just do good things because it is the right thing to do.

Bruce.

Cycler48, you are a sweetheart! Angel78556, you may find you can do the same for someone else one day.

Happy caching to you both!

I was young and broke once too and I haven't forgotten. But I'm still a sarcastic, cynical, miserable old goat. lol

You are not. Helping others out is rely cool. Someday you will be reworded for the goodness you gave shown to others.

One way is:

- Go to a non MOC cache.

- Click the link, "log your visit" in the upper right corner.

- The URL in the browser will look like http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=123456

- Change the "ID=" to "WP=" and replace the number with the GC code of the PMOC. i.e. WP=GCXXXX

- Go to that link and log the cache.

There are a couple other methods. If you search the forums there are more than a few threads that go into how to.

Premium Member Only caches show up in the cache listings along with the GC number. But, the back door to logging them has quit working with the recent site update. Hopefully, it will be back soon so my son can continue logging caches we find together as a family.

You sure? I just tried it and it seemed to work.

Jim

Why not pay the $30 for the Premium yearly membership then you can log it. After all don't you think it would be fair to support Geocaching you are using their tools in the hobby, seems to me you are "CHEAPING OUT".

Scubasonic

Why not pay the $30 for the Premium yearly membership then you can log it. After all don't you think it would be fair to support Geocaching you are using their tools in the hobby, seems to me you are "CHEAPING OUT".

Scubasonic

One of the biggest reasons, and the reason I believe the back door exists, is because of *families*. One member can have the premium membership and all can find the cache and all can log the cache. For a family of four your asking them to pay $120 just so the kids can log the cache? Groundspeak has not implemented a family plan but they take care to make sure the backdoor is always open. I just view that as the family plan.