Getting started

So only 2 days did i find out about geocaching and already i been on 2 hunts but came up with nothing never the less it was fun looking.

But i need to get myself a GPS because although i have found nothing i am hoocked on the idea of a hide and seek idea.

But here is the thing i can not afford even the basic range of gps in the shops so i will be buying a secound hand one but i dont no what im looking at as in because i never owned a gps they all seem the same to me!

the last thing i want to do is buy something thats not even worth useing.

So any hints what i need to look for in a gps? anything you could tell me would be good thankyou

Edited by newrocktrail

So only 2 days did i find out about geocaching and already i been on 2 hunts but came up with nothing never the less it was fun looking.

But i need to get myself a GPS because although i have found nothing i am hoocked on the idea of a hide and seek idea.

But here is the thing i can not afford even the basic range of gps in the shops so i will be buying a secound hand one but i dont no what im looking at as in because i never owned a gps they all seem the same to me!

So any hints what i need to look for in a gps? anything you could tell me would be good thankyou

An obvious question to ask is just what your budget is. If the best you can come up with is in the £40-50 or so range then a lot of "what to look for" becomes academic, as the question becomes more what you can afford. From there you get to decide whether to settle for what you can afford, or save up some more cash.

If you can find more cash than that you might have some options in the second hand market, in which case understanding the differences between them is more useful.

In the meantime (and using Garmin's range, because it's what I'm most familiar with), at the entry level you get a Geko. It's small, it doesn't support maps (at all) but will let you leave a track log. It's a bit cumbersome to enter waypoints, but if you buy a data cable you can upload them from a PC, if you've got the right software. Then you move up to an eTrex which is itself a range of units from a very basic model (only marginally better than the Geko) to more advanced units that support maps, colour screens and so on. Some also have a high-sensitivity GPS chip which means you don't lose GPS cover under trees.

Above that you've got the 60 range, the 76 range, the Colorado and Oregon. But looking at those in detail is academic if you can't afford anything more than an entry level unit.

If I was starting out again, with a limited budget, I wouldn't be thinking about buying a dedicated GPS, I would go for a second hand PDA with built in GPS reciever and caching software. That way you're already a step in front of the guys with the Geko's, the PDA will take you to the cache as any GPS would and will store any hints etc. I would recomend the Mio Digiwalker 168, expect to pay around £30-£40 for one in good condition with sat-nav mapping, data sync cable and charger.

I second the idea of a PDA with GPS built in. However, what type of mobile phone do you have? You may find that even if it doesn't have an internal GPSr, it is enabled with the software so you could be a cheap Bluetooth GPSr to pair with your phone instead.

to be honest i would be willing to go upto about £70 for a secound hand one i no there is a few i can buy new for that but then i could get a better secound hand one, As i have said though i have NO IDEA even how to use a handheld gps let alone what is best. I have found that the ones with maps you have to pay for the maps for them so i do not wish to buy one that stores maps.

I do want one that i can hook upto the computer to download the points then i can just print of a google map to go with it.

I am in cambridgeshire uk so no idea if there is any advents around my area.

tomorrow im going on another hunt 3rd try without a gps haha just incase i can find it without a gps

to be honest i would be willing to go upto about £70 for a secound hand one i no there is a few i can buy new for that but then i could get a better secound hand one, As i have said though i have NO IDEA even how to use a handheld gps let alone what is best. I have found that the ones with maps you have to pay for the maps for them so i do not wish to buy one that stores maps.

I do want one that i can hook upto the computer to download the points then i can just print of a google map to go with it.

tomorrow im going on another hunt 3rd try without a gps haha just incase i can find it without a gps

My GPSr is second hand - Garmin 60CSx, really happy with it - I can drop it, throw it and it doesn't break (yep I have done both), also comes with some basic Geocaching software. I paid $175 CAN for it (roughly £80-90).

Maps are no problem, you can use OpenStreetMap which is F/OSS, there's even someone who compiles the UK ones - there's a thread banging around here somewhere.

Otherwise you can try to get a second hand one with maps included (mine were N. America so not much use over here), there are some free TOPO map websites out there too - Google is your friend.

Finally, there are other options... but not that I could publish in an open forum.

We had some friends who started caching without a GPS - they managed OK with the straight forward traditional caches which had nice hints. On the cache page click on Geocaching.com Google map and zoom in, that should get you to the right tree, gate, etc.

Good luck.

My first was a GPS60 that i got brand new from an Ebay reseller ..... a cracker! (only 4 months ago so take a look on Ebay)

I have just sold it for £50 as I had a Oregon 300 for Crimbo.

I reckon the GPS60 is a bargain at that price ..... but maybe I was just lucky?

Also, the friend I just sold my GPS60 to found her first 47 caches without a GPS at all.

But I'm lost to know how? .. :lol: