Does anyone go caching when it's raining?

ItisTrue

Rain

d849b2b9-ad32-4a2f-910e-fb18de648d41.jpg

Snow

b9df3ea7-e41c-40e6-b9c9-483119946509.jpg

Intense heat and humidity

2ceb0618-ad12-4526-ae06-bae6f16c53ce.jpg

Near hurricane force winds (This is Lake Erie)

1bbbe5bf-89c2-433f-b06d-084dd81fe35c.jpg

No earthquakes or tornadoes though

I'm in Southern California ... just about a mile from the San Andreas Fault. If I ever get to do some earthquake geocaching, I'll be sure to post the results here ... if I'm able. :lol:

Rain, hurricane? Yep. The major problem is the protection of the cache, though. Hard to trade and sign in without getting the cache wet. We carry a small collapsible umbrella to shield the cache. Can't do anything about the humidity you're letting in, though.

Like the rain. Don't like trying to hunt caches in it.

Rain, hurricane? Yep. The major problem is the protection of the cache, though. Hard to trade and sign in without getting the cache wet. We carry a small collapsible umbrella to shield the cache. Can't do anything about the humidity you're letting in, though.

I was considering "storm caching" this weekend (we're in for a week of sequential storms here in CA) and was all for it, until I considered.....how am I going to keep the cache interior dry?

If it's urban, I can scurry it back to the truck without too much trouble. But if it's off the path, I will have to "turtle" into my poncho, and that will inevitably let some moisture in.

I chase hurricanes and tornadoes, but I have yet to grab any caches in the middle of a chase. I did accidentally find a benchmark in New Mexico in the middle of a chase.

I have grabbed caches in the snow. This one cache I did in the snow, at night and with sunglasses on (forgot to bring my regular pair from earlier in the day).

892589_200.JPG

Log Link

I should have logged one though but it was a virtual, that I just happen to photograph during Hurricane Ike in Galveston. But I didn't know it was a cache at the time, so I just posted a note rather than make it count.

Caching on a rainy day is cool. Sort of like sailing in rough seas for me. It's makes one a little heartier each time out.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I think I've cached in pretty much every weather that happens here, from -40c+windchill, to +30c+humidex, rain, snow, sleet, ice, light, dark and even a tornado.

Cool....where at?

Which cane?

I've cached in the rain, and right after - as its summer, whether you wear rain gear or not you still get soaked.

HAven't cached during an earthquake, but I live in a pretty frequent earthquake zone - we had a 7+ earthquake last year centred about 150-200kms away, strong enough to take out the power line outside our house and leave giant cracks in the house brickwork. Having said that, I've never felt an earthquake where I wasn't sitting or lying down. So I doubt I'd know I was in one while out caching - those I know who've been out walking in an earthquake here describe it as being like having a headrush and feeling a little dizzy.

I've cached in the rain, and right after - as its summer, whether you wear rain gear or not you still get soaked.

HAven't cached during an earthquake, but I live in a pretty frequent earthquake zone - we had a 7+ earthquake last year centred about 150-200kms away, strong enough to take out the power line outside our house and leave giant cracks in the house brickwork. Having said that, I've never felt an earthquake where I wasn't sitting or lying down. So I doubt I'd know I was in one while out caching - those I know who've been out walking in an earthquake here describe it as being like having a headrush and feeling a little dizzy.

Depending on where you are in relation to the epicenter, it can be quite surreal. I would describe it as feeling like you are having a stroke. It's really impossible to describe. All of a sudden you feel "woosy" and the difference between up and down seems blurred but you are still standing.

Sort of like the spacial disorientation you feel in a dream.

I'ved cached in the rain a few times....mostly going for FTF's. Neither time was I properly dressed. One time was with my daughter just after the new Cowboy's Stadium was completed. It flooded that night and we were worried to cross the new bridge. It was like a kayaker's dream but very violent runoff. Don't know that they engineered for such a deluge. I was concerned about the foundation of the bridge to get washed out. Guess it's OK cause it's still there. We did get all of the FTF's (4).

I cached once in the pouring rain with a friend and it was unpleasant but survivable since we were doing P&G's...until one of the caches was tucked a bit into some trees, BRRRRRRRR cold rain down going down your neck is not good. Won't be doing that again :) Cached in the snow once but pretty sure it doesn't count since it was a flurry in TX B)

Not usually by choice. Most of the times, it's happened because an afternoon storm popped up and I was too far away from my car to get out of the rain. That's why I carry a waterproof poncho in my backpack, so if I do get caught again, at least I have something to keep me from getting completely soaked to the skin. :)

Edited by rocketsteve

I have and I do, but one problem that I haven't really overcome yet is how to keep the log dry. I can usually manage to shield the cache with my body, but my hands are dripping wet, as is anything that I try to hold the log against for support as I sign it. Besides maybe giving it a shot of WD-40 afterward :) ... what do you do?

Judging from the large percentage of folks who admit to caching in the rain, I'm wondering if I should rethink my past cache container evaluations. Maybe all those black & grey film cans got damp inside not because they are an inherently crappy container, but rather, because someone opened it up when there was a bunch of moisture in the air? :)

I introduced a friend who loves geocaching to the hobby and got her soaking wet in doing so :) I had been telling her all about it so we decided to go out and look for one - totally unprepared. We had no coats on and it started to rain lightly and then with more force, and then turned into a full on storm. We tramped around for ages finally having to log a DNF. But despite being soaked and not finding a cache she is totally hooked!

We don't intentially go out in downpours, but if it happens - no biggie, just don the rain gear an go.

We have no problem headin' out in a light rain though.

If there's even a hint of rain, we bring an umbrella for the cache container/contents. We have little collapsibles to huge golf umbrellas, even a "two person double" that's handy for keeping the pack dry too (or when CJ forgets hers.)

No one wants their cache contents soaked. Something this simple fixes it.

Judging from the large percentage of folks who admit to caching in the rain, I'm wondering if I should rethink my past cache container evaluations. Maybe all those black & grey film cans got damp inside not because they are an inherently crappy container, but rather, because someone opened it up when there was a bunch of moisture in the air? <_<

Well, Freebird65 did say: "I cache in the rain - mainly just P&Gs.". That could well explain the dry ammo boxes, as well.

I spent a year up in PNW where it is noted to rain a lot and I loved it. If you didn't you may not cache for awhile just like areas that snow a lot. To me if it isn't really bad like storming, lightening or extreme wind then that's the best time because who else would go out there? You don't have as many muggles watching you and the traffic is reduced. Just beware of floods and mudslides.

No one wants their cache contents soaked. Something this simple fixes it.

But you're still opening a (hopefully) waterproof container in an environment with a super saturated atmosphere.

It doesn't take rain drops plunking into a cache to get moisture inside. ;)

"Super-saturated atmosphere" ? You talking high humidity ? That's all (at least in this area) there is during/after a steady rain.

If high humidity is a factor in NOT caching, many states wouldn't have any caches hit unless/until they have a "dry" season. Good luck with that.

Heck, on a cold, yet dry day (we have them up here), your breath would then be adding moisture to the cache ? At what point (unless one has a battery-operated blow dryer with them) do you grab 'em ?

"Super-saturated atmosphere" is a bit over the top.

We have a good way to keep water out. What most folks are worried about.

"Super-saturated atmosphere" is a bit over the top.

Super saturated atmosphere is simply another way to say 100% humidity. Sorry you're getting all a twitter over a phrase. Breathing equals raining? Seriously? I've heard of lame justifications for bad behavior, but that pretty much takes the cake. I'm trying really hard to assume that you're bright enough to know that exhaled breath, at an arm's length away, is considerably less than 100% humidity. Good luck with that? What, precisely, do I need luck for? Am I making a call for action? Am I even suggesting a course of action? Not sure what's got your panties in a wad, but I'm doing neither. I'm simply pointing out that when it's raining, the air is saturated. (I'll avoid the term 'super', so I don't offend your delicate sensibilities) If you are OK with opening a waterproof container in a saturated atmosphere, by all means, have at it. I'm sure those folks whose caches you hunt are used to doing maintenance. ;)

I cache in everything from downpouring rain high winds to heavy snow. It doesn't matter. This is why we invented clothes (and Gore-Tex).

For your "super saturated" 100% humidity thingie... if you fill your micro cache up with the 10-50 mL of humid air it can hold and then condense out the moisture in that air, just how much water do you suppose is in there? I don't know, but I can't see it being enough moisture to saturate the log.

Use Rite-in-the Rain paper. Problem solved.

For your "super saturated" 100% humidity thingie......

For the record, it's not my thingie. Unless things have changed radically since I woke up, most of the air outdoors has no owner. If there is high humidity, it is yours as much as mine. You feel it is entirely acceptable to allow moisture into a cache, even if the cache is not yours. Who am I to argue with that? Gaia knows, I wouldn't want to interfere with your right to open an ammo can in a downpour.

Here in Alaska I've cached as cold as 30 below zero. It was in Fairbanks, and wasn't too bad, cause it's a dry cold. Except the cache was right near the Chena River which wasn't iced over at that spot cause it's just down stream from a power plant that discharges warm water. So, 30 below and a bunch of humidity made it COLD.

We've cached in snow up to our waist. And in winds of 50 to 60 mph.

Once while on vacation in Louisiana along the Gulf Coast the heavens opened up and it began to POUR. I'm sure they get it all the time, but I had never seen anything like it. Traffic came to a stop on the freeway because you couldn't see through the sheets of water.

In the middle of this, we pull off the highway into a little town where there was a cache. As soon as I stepped out of the car I was soaked. Some good camouflage made the simple hide a bit of challenge. In the middle of my searching, there was a massive flash of blinding light and an earth shattering boom. I don't know how far away the actual lighting strike was, but it had to be within a few hundred feet. It's a good think my pants were already wet, because it hid the fact that I lost control of certain body functions in the moment.

Good times.

I want to know if anyone goes caching when it's raining?

And do you prefer going when it's raining?

What about other weather conditions? (snow, hail, storm, tornado, earthquake.. etc.)

Yep! Just today it is snowing, sleeting, hailing, AND raining...quite an amazing mix! Haha. And yes, for those of you who are non-weather buffs, there IS a difference among all of these categories. We even had freezing rain. ;)

But hey, I'm on a caching streak of over 20 days in a row and didn't want to break the streak! I also cached during a recent tornado. Grrr...weather here in Northern Alabama is crazy. ;)

Hey, caching in the rain can be fun, right? ;)

10540ad3-a0e3-41ec-b25b-a3513dcf759f.jpg

As others have mentioned already, any weather can be fun if you have the correct equipment. Even if you don't, it can still be fun sometimes, some of my best memories are from when I was cold and miserable and have some great story of how we got through it. We always seem to remember the experiences where things things deviated from our plans and expectations. Adventure is more fun than averageness. ;):ph34r:

I particularly like rain, or at least when things are wet, because the landscape is more saturated at that time, and the world is just so much prettier. That can be especially nice for pictures. I live in an area that averages 9 inches of rain per year, so I've always loved rain. I love it so much when I can get it (fortunately we're 2 1/2 hours from Seattle).

dfda3458-fa2d-4005-9446-7deb1f18ffdc.jpg

164dd403-4474-4b4f-8c15-60ff1544d094.jpg

03ef2c08-6b0b-41e1-a112-20d844502343.jpg

f184e8ae-e020-4440-9533-6f794a21a448.jpg

It can be fun getting muddy!

3605cd0b-1845-4993-a079-b5742c0d898f.jpg

Sometimes the most rewarding moments can shine through the rain:

4313931685_1020d39384_b.jpg

Here in Alaska I've cached as cold as 30 below zero. It was in Fairbanks, and wasn't too bad, cause it's a dry cold. Except the cache was right near the Chena River which wasn't iced over at that spot cause it's just down stream from a power plant that discharges warm water. So, 30 below and a bunch of humidity made it COLD.

We've cached in snow up to our waist. And in winds of 50 to 60 mph.

Once while on vacation in Louisiana along the Gulf Coast the heavens opened up and it began to POUR. I'm sure they get it all the time, but I had never seen anything like it. Traffic came to a stop on the freeway because you couldn't see through the sheets of water.

In the middle of this, we pull off the highway into a little town where there was a cache. As soon as I stepped out of the car I was soaked. Some good camouflage made the simple hide a bit of challenge. In the middle of my searching, there was a massive flash of blinding light and an earth shattering boom. I don't know how far away the actual lighting strike was, but it had to be within a few hundred feet. It's a good think my pants were already wet, because it hid the fact that I lost control of certain body functions in the moment.

Good times.

Can you really see Russia from there?

Rain what's that? Our dam is now at less then 10%, we have just entered into level 6 water restrictions. Would be lucky to get 20mm a month our monthly average should be 75mm. I even have a cache hidden out on the dam that if it ever fills up again I will need to make D/T higher. But unless it rains 2 inchs a day for the next 4 months I think that one is safe.

Edited by JABs