Does anyone go caching when it's raining?

ItisTrue

Depends on what you mean by "raining." A summer shower is refreshing, no need for rain gear. A cold, windy rainstorm in late November, not so much, even if properly dressed. A severe thunderstorm in late May, you will find me in the basement listening to NOAA radio.

I can't say I've ever cached during an earthquake but I've cached during most all other weather conditions.

I can't say I've ever cached during an earthquake but I've cached during most all other weather conditions.

Not sure I've ever heard an earthquake refered to as a weather condition. :huh::)

Back on topic:

I love rainy days. Add in some lightning and some booming thunder and I'm as happy as a pig in mud. Because of my love for inclement weather, I could oft be found wandering around the woods, following the arrow on my GPSr, whilst the sane folks were nestled in their lazy boys watching Jerry Springer. However, it finally dawned on me that my behavior was having a negative impact on my peers. When it is raining, the air is saturated with moisture. If a container is waterproof, and you open it in a moisture saturated atmosphere, you let water in, that has no way out. Once I came to that realization, I opted to spend my rainy day, wandering through the woods times searching for potential future hiding spots, or doing maintenance on my own hides, rather than actually seeking caches.

There's no such thing as bad weather, there are just a lot of people who aren't dressed properly.

I haven't geocached much in the rain, but I've hiked in the rain *a lot*. DanOCan is absolutely right - good waterproof boots, breathable rain jacket and pants, and a good waterproof hat make all the difference. A light rain makes a forest look mysterious and wonderful, and as a plus the bugs disappear!

As a rule no, but I do make exceptions as this log shows.

GCRR4E

Jurassicache

April 14, 2007 by Cpt.Blackbeard (___ found)

Found today in a downpour, but that's alright, I was already soaked from hiking to Blackjeeps Lake view cache. Doubt I would have found this one without the hint, it was very nicely hidden but it was raining so hard I had trouble keeping it dry while signing the log. Didn't notice a Travel bug or a camera but didn't really look either due to the rain. Thanks for a great cache, I'll post a pic of the river when I get it online.

One time I pulled into a parking lot near the trailhead, and as soon I as opened my door, the heavens opened up, and the rain poured down in buckets! “Just my luck!” I thought to myself. So after I patiently waited in my car for about 30 minutes the rain finally let up, and I was on my way.

Surprisingly, despite the steady pouring of left over drizzle, the tree canopy provided just enough to coverage to keep me dry. :huh:

I go caching in the rain. If it's a heavy rain, I'd rather do a long hike because I can dress accordingly and keep dry. I'd rather not car cache if it's a heavy rain because I don't like getting in and out and getting the seats & stuff wet.

I've also cached in a true blizzard and in a tropical storm. Both were fun. We dressed appropriately and had a great time. There was no one around, and it was pretty peaceful.

I want to know if anyone goes caching when it's raining?

And do you prefer going when it's raining?

What about other weather conditions? (snow, hail, storm, tornado, earthquake.. etc.)

...difficult not to in London England! :huh:

And we have smog (pea-soupers) too which is handy as no one can see you hunting for a cache. :)

WYNOT? Think you're gonna melt? :)

EDIT: Did some caches during the Christmas-time blizzard in SD.

Tornadoes and earthquakes generally create a lot of DNFs! :huh:

I wouldn't think tornadoes and earthquakes cause a lot of DNF's. Tornadoes really don't cover a lot of areas. Only if a town like Greensburg, KS gets hit would it take out more than one, and that's pretty rare. I've never been in an earthquake, but I would guess that only a disastrous one would create any, and there aren't many of those. Hard rain and floods are probably the #1 weather culprit.

I live near Vancouver, BC and if you don't cache in the rain here, you won't be caching all that much. :huh:

I bought rain gear just for caching - including a rain cover for my pack and water proof pants for kneeling on the wet ground when searching. I don't mind the rain so much and I agree that sometimes it is preferable as there are fewer muggles around to slow things down.

I also have a small collapsible umbrella attached to my pack to shield the cache from rain if needed when I open it.

All that said, I prefer to cache when not raining, but I don't let it stop me.

ARE YOU KIDDING ?

I live in the Pacific Northwest if I only went caching when it wasn't raining that would be 30 days of caching out of 360, well not really but about 1/2 the year it is raining here, just have to dress for the Rain wide brim hat, and waterproof clothes and your good to go.

SS

It wasn't supposed to start raining until Sunday evening this past weekend. When it started raining early afternoon, we didn't let the light drizzle stop us. When it started pouring and we were shivering in the cold, then we gave up.

Personally, I like the rain, but I prefer to be prepared for it.

2009 was the wettest year we've had here in Western New York State since 1992. I started geocaching in 2009.

I spent a lot of time squelching through mud, wringing out my soaked clothes, running from thick clouds of blood-sucking mosquitos, and hunching over a cache in a vain attempt to keep the log dry while I signed in.

Looking back, I can honestly say I had a blast. But I do hope this year is a little bit drier! Right now I'm sporadically caching in the snow.

No earthquakes but I cache in the rain (just don't cache for as long). I've placed a cache in the snow.

Since we really didn't have much snow this year, i can't really go searching for any in the snow.

As for weather conditions, the only thing that will likely stop me is severe heat, for medical reasons.

What about other weather conditions? (snow, hail, storm, tornado, earthquake.. etc.)

Was out caching today in the rain. The cache told of a 3 mile round trip walk. Everything started out great, quiet, peacefull. I was just wishing my G.F. and caching partner was along to take it all in with me. The coords led me right to the first stage. The coord for the final led me to "hell" intense bushwhaking, ankle deep snow, huge ice covered puddles in the middle of the peninsula I was led to. Then the G.P.S. told me the cache was 80 feet out into the water. So now soaked, (to the skin) and dissapointed I headed back. I will return after making contact with the cache owner but in better weather.

Just for the record if we have a day of caching planned rain may cut it short but never stops us. Also not all rainy day cache stories end up like today did.

M.T. Pool

I cache on Saturday . . . the weather does not change that plan, if it is Saturday, I am there. It was 13 degrees two weeks ago & windy with snow on the ground (that's really COLD in humid NC), a week later it was 16 degrees, we cached for the two 12 hours trips.

Last weekend, we went to VA for a 20-hour trip but it was so nice out . . . see, it balances out well! Ain't it grand????

I live near Vancouver, BC and if you don't cache in the rain here, you won't be caching all that much. :huh:

I bought rain gear just for caching - including a rain cover for my pack and water proof pants for kneeling on the wet ground when searching. I don't mind the rain so much and I agree that sometimes it is preferable as there are fewer muggles around to slow things down.

I also have a small collapsible umbrella attached to my pack to shield the cache from rain if needed when I open it.

One point I'd like to make is that the people who live in these areas where it rains most of the time are prepared for the rain. Around here where rain days are much rarer it is much less likely the average person will have the rain gear you all do and we are much more likely to say "Lets wait until it stops", because even all day rains are not very common here. Raining in the morning, dry in the afternoon.

Also I have been in the Pacific Northwest during the wet season and to be honest even I didn't notice the rain much, I'd set out walking uptown without so much as an umbrella and not think twice about it while here I generally hate getting rained on.

One point I'd like to make is that the people who live in these areas where it rains most of the time are prepared for the rain. Around here where rain days are much rarer it is much less likely the average person will have the rain gear you all do and we are much more likely to say "Lets wait until it stops", because even all day rains are not very common here. Raining in the morning, dry in the afternoon.

Also I have been in the Pacific Northwest during the wet season and to be honest even I didn't notice the rain much, I'd set out walking uptown without so much as an umbrella and not think twice about it while here I generally hate getting rained on.

A few years ago I was going to be in Des Moines, Iowa for a track meet. We were told it would be 80°, but there was the possibility of rain so bring rain gear. My rain gear is for temperatures of half that. I don't have rain gear for 80° weather. In Seattle, if it is 80, then the sun is out.

A few years ago I was going to be in Des Moines, Iowa for a track meet. We were told it would be 80°, but there was the possibility of rain so bring rain gear. My rain gear is for temperatures of half that. I don't have rain gear for 80° weather. In Seattle, if it is 80, then the sun is out.

Same here, wear a rain suit and you'll sweat yourself just as wet, which is another reason most people don't have rain gear here.

My personal belief, based upon responses on this type of topic in the past is that there can exist no weather condition on the face of the planet, in which some geocacher some where wouldn't go out searching for a cache.

That said, as for The Team, no, we do not and will not go geocaching in the rain, snow, sleet, hail, hurricanes, tornados, sand storms or in the ash fallout from volcanic erruptions. There might be other conditions that I haven't considered but I am willing to discuss prior to dismissing them also.

Oh yeah I forgot: tempratures outside the range of +90 to +45 degrees farenheit.

:huh::anicute::)

Edited by Team Cotati

Given where we live, if we didn't cache in the rain, we'd only go caching 3 months a year.....

We have cached in the snow, gentle rain, sideways rain, sweltering heat, dry heat, (not all that different. hot is HOT), and great weather. All over the country.

We ain't gonna melt, but we might float away. :huh:

We're rarely deterred by rain, heat, or snow (well, if we had any snow). We're more schedule driven. If we have an opportunity to cache, or we're on a road trip somewhere and have caching plans, we try to let the weather just add to the experience.

Yesterday we brought along a change of pants, socks and shoes in preparation for some possible rainy day wetlands area caching on the way to a business in another state.

We ended up having to stop at a store and buy dry shirts, too.

It was well worth it, we had a great time and found an excellent puzzle cache involving tree identification.

We enjoy caching on the North Shore of Lake Superior, in Northern Minnesota. Last fall my wife and I spent a week during peak color season. The highlight of the trip was a extremely windy day. Sustained winds of 30 40 MPH with gusts even higher, with some rain.The lake wave were crashing on the rocks, while we were out caching. Trees were down along some trails which made for more adventures. Power was out in town and some businesses closed. we will remember this trip for some time to come.

e02045f6-37e2-4cb1-9d84-5741b4140376.jpg

8c9cb1f2-43c9-419d-9789-13e7c5d11cf3.jpg

My personal belief, based upon responses on this type of topic in the past is that there can exist no weather condition on the face of the planet, in which some geocacher some where wouldn't go out searching for a cache.

:huh:

Very true. I used to ignore thunderstorms, aside from the wind and rain. The thunder and lightning didn't faze me in the slightest until the day I was in the woods when a storm hit. I ignored it until the lightning hit, I don't know what it hit but I was surrounded by intensely bright light and the thunder almost drove me into the ground, and in fact I did drop to the ground but had it hit me it would have been to late.

I dropped down into the holler and got to safety as fast as I could go, and after that I no longer treat storms so casually, they have my respect.

Also in the Pacific NW - cached in the pouring rain on New Year's Day, have cached in snow and in temperatures in the mid 30s (Celcius), but would pass on doing it if we had thunderstorms around. Haven't been caching while there's been an earthquake, but living where we do, I suppose it'll happen sometime. Don't like the big cold winds when we're caching though......but it makes us move quicker!

LOL :huh:, in Oregon and Washington, where I do most of my caching, we don't have a choice but to go out in the rain. Heavy rain, I avoid, but light rain, not a worry. You know, summer is July and August :) here, so we cache when we can. :anicute: