Where to get black sacks for camo geocaches ?

coolblaze

You don't mean black plastic sacks... do you? :huh: ... because they're not good.

Is this the sort of thing?

Camouflage bags.

MrsB

Thanks, but those are not the ones.

They are black and made of some sort of woven material almost paperlike but dry very quickly and do not absorb water.

They are not waterproof but just disguise the cache.

I have seen lots of them used in Northern Ireland.

Come to think of it, they are a similar type material to the black material you would put under stones to prevent weeds growing. Not the thick rubbery type but the stuff that lets water soak straight through.

You don't mean black plastic sacks... do you? :anicute: ... because they're not good.

Is this the sort of thing?

Camouflage bags.

MrsB

Thanks, but those are not the ones.They are black and made of some sort of woven material almost paperlike but dry very quickly and do not absorb water.They are not waterproof but just disguise the cache.

Come to think of it, they are a similar type material to the black material you would put under stones to prevent weeds growing. Not the thick rubbery type but the stuff that lets water soak straight through.

I know the stuff you mean but I've never seen them made into cache bags - Perhaps it's a N Ireland speciality? Sounds good.

You don't mean black plastic sacks... do you? :) ... because they're not good.

MrsB

I can think of some caches they'd be perfect for....... :):huh::)

Behave! smack.gif

MrsB :)

They are black and made of some sort of woven material almost paperlike but dry very quickly and do not absorb water.

I think I know what you are on about . It would be weed control fabric as used ( you guessed correctly) for preventing weeds from growing up through bark,decorative gravel etc. Modejaal caches are (I bet ) where you saw them . Available from all good garden centres . You just need to cut and sew them together to make the shape and size you need.

You don't mean black plastic sacks... do you? :anicute: ... because they're not good.

MrsB

I can think of some caches they'd be perfect for....... :):huh::)

Behave!! :) from me as well

I find one of the best methods is the cloth DPM camo tape like this one on EBay , makes the cache blend in well.

I do not have any connection with the seller.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

I think I know what you are on about . It would be weed control fabric as used ( you guessed correctly) for preventing weeds from growing up through bark,decorative gravel etc. Modejaal caches are (I bet ) where you saw them . Available from all good garden centres . You just need to cut and sew them together to make the shape and size you need.

Its often called Mypex and is sold in garden centres etc. Normaly it has square grids on in white lines so that nursery man lay they plants out in nice rows. It will hold mositure in so be careful your cache does not become damp. I use the commerial stuff at work which is much thicker then the stuff sold in small roles at the garden centre.

Its often called Mypex and is sold in garden centres etc. Normaly it has square grids on in white lines so that nursery man lay they plants out in nice rows. It will hold mositure in so be careful your cache does not become damp. I use the commerial stuff at work which is much thicker then the stuff sold in small roles at the garden centre.

I think that Mypex is capillary matting which is used to water pot plants which are just stood on it. It is designed to hold water which is the last thing you want for a camo bag.

I've always known the weed control cloth as 'Landscape Fabric' and it normally comes by the meter off a big roll in garden centers

I think that Mypex is capillary matting which is used to water pot plants which are just stood on it. It is designed to hold water which is the last thing you want for a camo bag.

I've always known the weed control cloth as 'Landscape Fabric' and it normally comes by the meter off a big roll in garden centers

Mypex is the European brand leader - a long lasting, U.V. stabilized, extremely tough woven geomembrane fabric which allows moisture to pass through up to 6 litres per sq. metre per second, but with less than 1% light transmission it resists weed growth. Widely used in the horticultural trade in glasshouses as a plant through mulching film, for standing out areas and also suitable for landscaping. As a base for ornamental areas and paths being covered by bark chips, pebbles, gravel etc. Reduces the need to use chemical weedkillers. Lower moisture evaporation from soil in long dry spells. Slight increase in soil temperature - promoting plant growth.

LANDSCAPE FABRIC is a very tough, non fray, spin bonded fibrous sheeting with a high porosity, which offers a viable alternative to our traditional Mypex groundcover. We recommend a minimum 2" covering of bark chips or similar be used to ensure the best appearance. This material with its non fray structure, is especially suited for landscaped areas, banks etc. where a lot of planting through will be undertaken.

Manufactured in extra strong 70 gram per sq metre material with U.V. stabilisers to ensure a long life.

Which ever one it is I would use camo tape or black gaffa tape. Certainly dont use Capillary matting :lol:

I came across a rather novel "camo bag" recently, a black cotton sock.

No doubt the cotton will rot in time and it also answers that eternal question of what to do with the odd socks left over by the washing machine. :lol:

Someone round here used a sock, and after prologued wet weather it was close to one my most unpleasant experiences in caching. It was really grim.

Someone round here used a sock, and after prologued wet weather it was close to one my most unpleasant experiences in caching. It was really grim.

Possibly the same cache then, it was in your neck of the woods. Perhaps not such a good idea after all.

I found some in green today ... Lidl sell them as reusable shopping bags but they are green not black and a bit big.

They were in caches by Modejaal, I suppose I could email them !!

Some of the ones I found in very wet weather and had been there a fair while and in good nick.

There's a localish cacher who uses an interesting range of black nylon stockings as cache camouflage - they seem to stand up quite well to that use... though I always feel a trifle odd, when rolling them off the cache container... :)

Mmmm! makes finding the box even nicer. One out near Wadebridge is like that, took me all of 10mins just to get the cover off B)

Come along now people :- make your own.

I have just re-joined after a few years away and am supprised to see the amount of bought containers of one kind or another being used.

Making your own was all part of the fun. Have a look at the container at "Hey Diddle Diddle". That was one made by myself and Dotty many years ago and it has still stood the rigors of the weather in a very harsh place.

Sorry to put my twopence worth into the thread but come along its all part of the fun.

See you out and about I hope.

Phredd

Edited by phredd

Possibly the same cache then, it was in your neck of the woods. Perhaps not such a good idea after all.

I found some in green today ... Lidl sell them as reusable shopping bags but they are green not black and a bit big.

They were in caches by Modejaal, I suppose I could email them !!

Some of the ones I found in very wet weather and had been there a fair while and in good nick.

Then I can confirm they are made of weed control fabric because I asked them the very same question myself. They cut and sew the fabric to suit the container .Various names such as geotextile,weed control fabric,ground cover material should get you what you are looking for.

Edited by Beefy4605

Does anyone know where to get them ?

I was at Mole Valley Farm Farmers store yesterday and I noticed what could be the very same bags. They are made of black ballistic nylon (so theorectially rotproof) and used for making sandbags.

I've had a look on their website but I can't seem to see the listing for them.