Trinket Ideas

23below

Laptops, keys to new cars, cash, naked women with questionable morals for bittsen and kinder surprise toys.

On serious note... anything you would like to find.

I fixed it for ya.

What to put in a cache as starter swag? Whateve would be tradable.

You could put some unused silverware in a cache. A fancy can opener. Some seashells. A universal remote control. Maybe a 10mm wrench. A keyring or two. Some cookie cutters. A spatula. McToys.

Use your imagination. Look around your house and garage and find stuff you don't need but still might have value.

Some things that I've left in caches:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

individual packs of insect repellent wipes

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

Ckip on ball and zipper pull compasses

bags of toy soldiers

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CDs

blank RW CDs

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

packs of Hefty Handi Sacks

bags of balloons

rolls of camo duct tape

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

foreign money

rolls of film

electrical tape

Slinky Jrs.

kazoos

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

wallets

Pick Up Sticks

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

travel packs of facial tissue

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and stuff

I get the stuff in supermarkets, WalMart, Home Depot, Target,drug stores, toy stores you name it. I always have my eyes open for inexpensive, useful items for caches and if I run into somthing I'll buy a bunch. For example I was in Home Depot last week and they had a bin where they were selling a combo phillips/flathead screwdriver for 99 cents. I bought 10.

WalMart sells emergency rain ponchos for 97 cents. Every time I go to WalMart I buy a bag full. They are my standby trade item. Cheap, but useful.

Edited by briansnat

Some things that I've left in caches:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

individual packs of insect repellent wipes

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

Ckip on ball and zipper pull compasses

bags of toy soldiers

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CDs

blank RW CDs

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

packs of Hefty Handi Sacks

bags of balloons

rolls of camo duct tape

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

foreign money

rolls of film

electrical tape

Slinky Jrs.

kazoos

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

wallets

Pick Up Sticks

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

travel packs of facial tissue

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and stuff

I get the stuff in supermarkets, WalMart, Home Depot, Target,drug stores, toy stores you name it. I always have my eyes open for inexpensive, useful items for caches and if I run into somthing I'll buy a bunch. For example I was in Home Depot last week and they had a bin where they were selling a combo phillips/flathead screwdriver for 99 cents. I bought 10.

WalMart sells emergency rain ponchos for 97 cents. Every time I go to WalMart I buy a bag full. They are my standby trade item. Cheap, but useful.

I nominate you as cacher or the year for 2010.

Please move to my city and start hiding caches please.

(I said please twice because well... us Canadians are polite that way)

I'm thinking about hiding a few more large caches, but I don't really know what to put into the cache. What are some good trinket or swag ideas, and where do you get them?

I try to put in things that I think are fun when I open a cache. I have a large collection of Mardi Gras beads, so there's always at least one of those; there's generally at least one sticker with a tiki on it; I like cats so there's generally something cat-themed (I found a bag-o-cats at a dollar store that even fit in film canisters!); and I go hit up the end-of-holiday sales at stores for discounted items like these little cloth sacks with wooden puzzles and yoyos in them. Eyeglass chums are always great; eyeglass repair kits are always useful; so are carabiners. Kids seem to dig the little packs of Fimo that I leave there too. I also try to make sure there's at least one geocoin and/or travel bug as well for folks who like to move the travellers around. Check out places like http://www.toyconnection.com where you can get large quantities of varies kinds of nifty toys....like cats! :lol:

I ADORE larger caches. There are lots ways to do large urban caches, but you really do gotta go talk to the owners and get it all kosher with them. My one single medium (shoebox size) cache is located smack dab in the middle of a few dozen micros. I'm honestly astonished nobody had put one there yet as it's a classic historic spot. The owners of the property have been DELIGHTED with geocaching, they think we're a fantastic bunch of people, and they have as much fun watching us search for the cache as the cachers do! They even did some fast cache repair for me when we were having some glue problems.

Edited by Hakali

I love the treasure side off caching. Every other month, I get to clean out my kids rooms for cache items. I don't use anything broken or useless. Colors, books, action figures, CARS, pens, decorated pencils.

Another thing we have been doing is when we go to chuck E cheese or any place that you get tickets for toys, we use those toys. It is something you would play with and move on, but now someone can be surprised with it. Of course, we tend to focus on more kid oriented caches. Also, I may be that person complained about in another thread about useless items in a cache. But, the kids still enjoy it.