Disappointed by Trade Items in Caches

Shaner316

Ok, I' m still brand new with only a few caches to my name, but saw a sad little trend today.

I found 3 caches today and was quite disappointed with the trade items inside:

a sticker

a red marble

a poker chip

a playing card (Yes just one!)

I was set with a wealth of trade items ( I want to be sure to have sufficient trade items of equal or greater value) but alas, not much to trade. I just dropped off a few things in each of them to hopefully get the trading process for those few caches going again.

Are the trade items always of this kind? Or are there caches out there with something more interesting in them?

Again, not a lot of caches under my belt and I am drawing this conclusion for a small group, but was curious if this was the norm.

Many caches start out with lots of nice stuff but eventually become filled with junk. Others start out with junk.

Newer caches are more likely to have decent swag, as are caches that are long hikes.

Though it is nice to find a well stocked cache, the only thing most veteran geocachers want to find in a cache is a dry logbook.

I think most novices are enticed by the "treasure" aspect of the sport, but most soon change their focus to the thrill of the hunt and discovering cool, new places.

Edited by briansnat

I like the hunt and to me, seeing the "bad" items is still fun. Where did they come from? Why did someone pick this instead of that...?

I feel like a kid at Christmas...what's in THAT box?

I like the way people of all walks of life can play, equipment permitting - remaining anonymous yet in a fairly supportive community.

I don't see the "trash", I see items that were left in hopes of possibly brighten someones day.

For me, I LOVE travel bugs because they GIVE you their story (most times). My bug will be set free soon, and I'm thinking of his mission....what's my "life" for him?

You'll see it quite a bit, but not ALL Caches are like that, especially if someone like yourself has been there and generously left some goodies for the next finders. That can be a fun way to play the game, even if you find nothing to take. Hopefully you got a bit of enjoyment from leaving something nice. After playing for a while, when you get the urge to look back at the logs from Caches long ago found, you'll probably get a little smile reading about who ended up taking the things you left! I like seeing that people have fun finding the things that I have left behind.

Briansnat is right.... most start with a glimmer in their eye about finding treasure. Whether they are disappointed or not, after a while, they focus primarily on "the hunt" rather than finding or expecting good swag.

In truth, that is where it actually becomes exciting because when you least expect it, that is when you come across a cache that does contain something that excites you. Whatever it is, it doesn't have to be expensive or of great quality, just something that tickles your fancy or is unique and out-of-the-ordinary.

A couple of weeks ago, far away from home, knee deep in snow at the start of a blizzard, we opened a cache that contained the generic Dollar Store plastic whatevers, only to find in the bottom a penny. To most that wouldn't be a big deal, but it was a true penny (not a 1¢ coin [the U.S BTW has never minted a penny]).

True, our Brit cousins wouldn't have thought it a big deal nor maybe even our Canadian neighbors, but picking it out of a cache deep in the U.S. prairie certainly made us forget the wind and snow that day! It now resides with some of our other, similar treasures in a wall-mounted shadow box. :ph34r:

As I have said before, we are still looking for that Double Eagle. Maybe someday..........

All-in-all, it is now the hunt and the find, rather than the treasure. :ph34r:

Still very new to this, only a few finds so far. I started out trading at every find. Quickly lost interest in trading, the hunt became most important.

I do really enjoy finding travellers, I "watch" everyone I move. It is just so exciting to me, to be holding something that has traveled the world, one hide at a time.

I do check out everything I find in caches, make notes in my personal log of the most interesting stuff. I go back and keep an eye on it, in the logs, to see who grabbed it, and what they have to say about it.

I have become addicted to this, why did I not start this sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh don't get me wrong. I love the thrill of the hunt and being outdoors. (Even if it is the middle of winter and the temperature yesterday was only 1 degree C with a very chilly wind) It's an interesting way to see different parts of the surrounding area I live in that I have not really traveled to before. (And it a good way to get the kids out of the house getting some exersise instead of being glued to the TV or video games all day)

I am already looking forward to our next hunt, and will continue to drop stuff off in bare caches. Hopefully giving someone the thrill of finding something neat when they find it.

......now if I could only find a geocoin....lol

:huh:

Back In the'DAY'.........the trinket trade was a way of life, but over the years the sport has evolved into what it is today. Who knows where it will go next! Here locally (Yuma, AZ) the winter cachers (Snowbirds) have over loaded the area with what I consider "Geo-Trash".....Pill bottles with a scrap of paper......Playing the NUMBERS-GAME..........Oh Well perhaps one day the sport will swing back to what it use to be........ :)

I cache with my 11-year-old son, and he just loves the ones that are big enough to hold swag. For him, looking to see if he can find any treasures, and adding some of his own, is a big part of the allure. He's come across several "treasures", such as a guitar pick, foreign coins, cool balls, interesting rocks. etc. His ultimate cache treasure was something he found this past weekend--a 4 leaf clover encased in a pendant. He's been wearing it since. We have seen some junky items--one playing card, one puzzle piece, many business cards, several ads, religious tracts, etc. But usually there's enough "cool" items to interest the young'n.

As far as what we leave, he did an "I'm in middle school now so I want to get rid of all the baby stuff in my room" cleaning last month, and he filled up several bags of stuff that he wanted to put in geocaches. We're set for quite some time. Anytime we find a cache that will hold something, he makes sure and leaves one or two items...even if he doesn't take anything.

Oh, and this past weekend we found a cache that contained several postage stamps. Now that's some swag that grownups can actually use!

Edited by Triskeles

As a rank newbie, this topic is very inlightening. It will remind me to make sure that every item I place as swag should be interesting and creative(doesn't have to be expensive). Every cach should provide an exciting experience for each person that finds it, both adults and kids- Not just the first person to find it. I also think that whoever placed the cach should go back from time to time and do maintenance if needed and perhaps add other swag.

I actually am looking forward to doing my first hide. ;)

After caching for a couple of months, I now make a ritual of spending about $20-$30 on a semi-regular basis at a local dollar store to load my backpack up with swag. Whenever I visit a cache big enough I usually drop one swag for the kids and one swag for the adults. I feel like I'm giving back to the sport this way and actually enjoy it better than finding swag. ;)

The best part is when someone mentions some of my swag in future logs and how much they enjoyed finding them.

Some examples of what I leave behind are miniature jewelry boxes, tools, small games (such as a domino set), tire pressure gauges, key chains, statuettes, rubber ducks, candle holders, and seasonal swag (currently dropping off valentine items).

I'm pretty new to this game as well so I'm not to sure what the etiquite is on handcrafted items. Can you leave a handcrafted item in exchange for something else in the cache? Or is that considered more of a calling card thats left in the cache? (Our handcrafted items have our name on the object as a handycraft calling card.) I'm thinking it's something you leave anyways and then if you wish, trade one of your regular items with something in the cache if you fee like it.

Personally I'd rather just trade something handmade then a little toy car or something.

CoalRatt.

Burnaby, BC

Edited by CoalRatt

Several years ago a couple.. From Oregon perhaps if my memory is still OK??... went through my area leaving hand carved little trinkets on a chain in most every cache they visited. Mine is still hanging from my rear view mirror. It's about the only thing I ever got from a cache that I did not eventually recycle into another cache. Yes, hand made stuff is good !!!!

We cache as a family and I have two boys age 9 and 4 so we usually search through the toy box to find something to trade like a hotwheels they are bored with etc. I make sure to tell them they can trade up or across but not down. It does bug me when I see things left that will obviously not stand up to moisture. I have seen alot of rotten soggy items that are just junk now. I have also seen dumb things like a burt out light bulb etc. The trading is mostly for the kids so if you don't want anything don't leave junk behind. We have even found garbage in the cache (probably muggles).

I posed this question in another thread. If you opened a cach and found a neat embroidered patch with a business card attached, would you enjoy a unique item or would the business card diminish the value ??

I do machine embroidery from my home and love to do patches as giveaways, and they are very easy for me to do. I would rather add something nice rather than add junk to a cach. I can always find stuff for kids-perhaps one girl item and 1 boy item in each cach ?? I think it is important to make each find exciting.

I'm pretty new to this game as well so I'm not to sure what the etiquite is on handcrafted items. Can you leave a handcrafted item in exchange for something else in the cache? Or is that considered more of a calling card thats left in the cache? (Our handcrafted items have our name on the object as a handycraft calling card.) I'm thinking it's something you leave anyways and then if you wish, trade one of your regular items with something in the cache if you fee like it.

Personally I'd rather just trade something handmade then a little toy car or something.

CoalRatt.

Burnaby, BC

As long as it's not something that will attract animals, like food, soap, or candles, there's nothing wrong with handmade items.

I posed this question in another thread. If you opened a cach and found a neat embroidered patch with a business card attached, would you enjoy a unique item or would the business card diminish the value ??

I do machine embroidery from my home and love to do patches as giveaways, and they are very easy for me to do. I would rather add something nice rather than add junk to a cach. I can always find stuff for kids-perhaps one girl item and 1 boy item in each cach ?? I think it is important to make each find exciting.

I wouldn't be bothered by the business card in this context. It's not really any different than the commercial packaging on a dollar store item.

CoalRatt.

Burnaby, BC

For a time one local geocacher left hand made Indian totem bags in caches. They were hand sewn leather with the Groundspeak logo painted on them and a little, marble totem inside with a note explaining its significance in aboriginal religion. Every time she logged a find on a cache there would be a rush there to be next to find.

I have one that has been hanging on the rear view mirror of my car for 7 years.

So in answer to your question hand crafted items are not only welcome, they can be in great demand.

I'm a complete newbie, we've only found 2 caches so far, and one was a log only. But for us it's the thrill of just finding it! Never expected any great prizes to be in them.

As for handmade stuff, we would love to find that and would like to know who made it. I wish I was crafty enough to do such things.

New to the game as well. While finding stuff is fun, and fun to go through, it really is about the hunt and just getting outdoors and being together. I always have a bag full of junky plastic odd sox, and will leave a doodad if there room in a micro or just because someone somewhere may find it cute enough to take. A box full of junk just goes to show that lots of people have been there, and it's a small community connection with others in the game. I feel to much high end swag could turn this into a game of oneupmanship if we're not careful. To me, even finding the toy from a Kinder surprise or the stuff from a Christmas cracker in a cache is fun, just to even see it. It's abig worls out there and this game helps us all see a bit more of it, one hide at a time.

When I am caching, I carry swag that I just add to a cache. I don't trade it, I donate it. It's usually something simple and small but it helps. Each item has more value (and staying power) than a playing card, sticker or broken McToy.

It's just my way of giving back.

If you come across a cache that has crappy swag, why not donate to make it better? If nobody donates swag then ALL caches are destined to be reduced to crappy swag. If that happens, why bother having anything besides micros?

:(

Back In the'DAY'.........the trinket trade was a way of life, but over the years the sport has evolved into what it is today. Who knows where it will go next! Here locally (Yuma, AZ) the winter cachers (Snowbirds) have over loaded the area with what I consider "Geo-Trash".....Pill bottles with a scrap of paper......Playing the NUMBERS-GAME..........Oh Well perhaps one day the sport will swing back to what it use to be........ :D

/me scrambles for a magnifying glass to read the post

:P

I enjoy the hunt...but I ALSO enjoy the swag. I like going through the items, seeing what people left and thinking about the stories that go with the items. Ive found a little handmade bracelet with a pretty shell on it, a necklace, some interesting coins...things that were unique and thoughtful. I love those!

Ive also found complete junk. I mean stuff that seems like someone practiced CITO and put all the stuff they picked up in the cache. That is a little depressing to me. When I find those I add a bunch of items from my swag bag.

I turned my "stuff to donate to goodwill" into my swag bag. I've got collectible toys still in their packaging, rare CDs, pretty little chotchkeys...stuff I had intended to sell on ebay at some point then decided that I would never get around to it so I was going to donate it to goodwill but now I have another purpose for it.

I'm going to start making items so that I'll have a nice collection ready when this stuff runs out. I hope someone enjoys finding these things as much as I would.

Alright, I'm less than a month old at this, so keep that in mind as my perspective on things. I get a kick out of the silly stuff in the caches. I never really expected to find anything of "value" anyway, nothing I'd want to take home and keep as an heirloom. I'm in it for the hunt. If there is something fun inside, great. If not, let the log be dry.

...Are the trade items always of this kind?...

It's like a garage sale. Mostly crap but with the occasional highlight.

Caches tend to deterioriate over time insofar as swag qualty. However sometimes they reverse and end up with good swag again.

It's like checking my mail. Mostly crap, bills, and crap, but every now and then a nice suprise.

I normally leave a foreign coin regardless of a trade. Maybe not the best swag but it should at least be interesting. We all have the option to do something like that.

Are the trade items always of this kind? Or are there caches out there with something more interesting in them?

Again, not a lot of caches under my belt and I am drawing this conclusion for a small group, but was curious if this was the norm.

It really depends on what you consider interesting :( I've been caching for a few months and still regularly find things in caches I want to keep. I have a bag of my treasures I keep in my closet and look through now and then. It might be a handmade sig item, like a cute handpainted turtle I found recently w the cachers' name painted on the bottom. Or a keychain (I've always collected keychains). A neat rock (again, always have collected rocks). A coin (LOVE coins). Or even a toy, like the two I have sitting in one of my kitchen cabinets to make me smile - a little stuffed pig and a tiny rubber ducky :mellow:

I have definitely found some very sad caches at times. One I found recently had a paperclip, a rubberband, a broken toy, and a few soggy business cards. In those cases I clean out the trash and put in some swag. Usually swag I put in is of the type to make kids happy. Recent batches of swag I've bought include 3 dozen hot pink mardi gras beads from ebay and a huge bag of NICE office and craft supplies from Goodwill for $4, many in their original packaging.

Well, I have been planning on my first few caches that I place to all be tied to a particular theme. That being said, these particular themed caches will have some very interesting swag in them.

The only thing I am now concerned with is having the first 1 or 2 finders clean out the entire cache and leave next to nothing behind. Thus taking away from the whole theme behind them.

Does this happen often? The cleaning out of a cache right away? I guess it would require re-stocking every once in a while then to stay with the theme.

I am still going to go ahead with my idea regardless, as the theme I have is dear to my heart. Besides, I think a lot of cachers would find it to be a really interesting series.

The only thing I am now concerned with is having the first 1 or 2 finders clean out the entire cache and leave next to nothing behind. Thus taking away from the whole theme behind them.

Does this happen often? The cleaning out of a cache right away? I guess it would require re-stocking every once in a while then to stay with the theme.

It usually doesn't happen as quickly as that.

Owners have different ideas about restocking a cache. Some don't bother. The degrading of swag is just inevitable, and they don't care to spend more money on it. Others enjoy adding a few more interesting swag items when they do maintenance on their cache. Do what seems sensible to you and makes you happy.

Best of luck with your first cache!

I don't usually bother to "trade" unless there is something I really want (that's only happened twice!) although I do move on TBs and GCs.

I often add something if a cache is particularly empty, I have recently made my two teens clean out their rooms and have acquired a good selction of small toys and things suitable for caches. I agree that it is mostly children who enjoy finding "treasure", so it's usually kid's stuff I leave.

I went out and picked up some stuff I can add to caches since it's just me and my dog out there. I know that a lot of kids do this and I want to add to the find. I bought some tubes full of little plastic figurines (Dinosaurs and sea creatures) from Michaels craft store and I keep them in my jeep. I thought those are fun for kids and they really weren't that expensive. :lostsignal:

I'm very new to Geocaching. In fact I just found my first two caches yesterday. One was a micro with just the log so no trinkets. The other was a canister with a few little items in it. I wasn't sure what to bring to trade so just grabbed a couple of things on the way out the door. One of which was a lego block which I added to the cache and took a badge. However, I like the idea of adding more interesting items to caches and I'll definitely be bringing more interesting trinkets to add to future caches, especially for the kids. I'm bringing my daughter geocaching today so hope we can find and add some 'treasure'!

Jen ;->

In the past year, since I've started caching I've noticed that there are more micros/nanos and fewer of the larger caches, where one might find swag. I'm particularly interested in caches for small children as they are not old enough to be in it for the log, but love to trade things. I'm also more interested in hiking to the caches which usually means that 8-10 caches in a day is a lot. Like most people, I have a drawer with things too good to throw away but fine for giving to someone such as a charm from an old bracelet. I will have to agree that the swag in most caches is pretty pathetic. But even if every cache was a micro, I would still love caching. :D

When I go out and buy swag - I think about what kids are going to think is cool when they open that cache next. Most swags for kids anyway.

I have one of my own caches just down the road that I'm going to keep an eye on for any unique swag that goes in it. Would love to get some personalised stuff that people have made! And of course trade it out for more stuff to appeal to the kids!