What kind of cache is this?

bittsen

If a cache coordinates say to go to a certain location and then gives steps on how to find the cache from that coordinate with the actual cache being 460 feet from the posted coords, what kind of cache is it?

If cache coords posted on site are the trailhead and the cache coordinates are in the page description, what kind of cache is it?

Thanks.

If a cache coordinates say to go to a certain location and then gives steps on how to find the cache from that coordinate with the actual cache being 460 feet from the posted coords, what kind of cache is it?

If cache coords posted on site are the trailhead and the cache coordinates are in the page description, what kind of cache is it?

Thanks.

A puzzle?

A multi?

A letterbox?

Thanks.

Stick a stamp in it, and you have yourself a Letterbox Hybrid!

A really messed-up one? I've seen this done about 4 times, and I can say in all cases it was total newbie cluelessness. And they were all old caches, placed before 2005 or so, when the review process was less tight.

Thanks.

I almost said this, and then went to check because I figured you would say it. :ph34r:

Thanks.

That goes for any cache

If the second (final) coordinates are less than 0.1 mile from another cache physical container ... it's a way to avoid following the guidelines. Reviewers will never know.

When you submit a cache you need to submit the actual coordinates of the container as an additional waypoint. Sure you could lie, but if you're caught lying to a reviewer don't be surprised if your future submissions undergo extra scrutiny.

And don't think the reviewer will never know. They geocache. They often find caches that they publish and it is not rare for a reviewer to discover that the cache he published was not what it he was told it was. People have also been known to report violations such as this to reviewers.

Thanks.

Multi

If I am understanding you correctly, you use the posted coordinates to navigate to the trailhead, and then once at the trail head you are given basic directions to locate the geocache without the use of a GPS unit?

I think this falls into the category of "other." :huh:

Based off of my interpretation of the guidelines, a multi-geocache is when the posted coordinates brings you to one location, where the second set of coordinates can be obtained.

However, you could also argue that since a GPS unit is not needed to find the actual geocache, then this constitutes as a letterbox hybrid with the posted coordinates as your starting point.

I wouldn’t consider this a mystery geocache since you do not have to solve a puzzle, or riddle to obtain the correct coordinates.

However, I may be completely off base from what the topic starter was asking.

Thanks.

I almost said this, and then went to check because I figured you would say it. :huh:

:anicute::)

If I am understanding you correctly, you use the posted coordinates to navigate to the trailhead, and then once at the trail head you are given basic directions to locate the geocache without the use of a GPS unit?

I think this falls into the category of "other." :huh:

Based off of my interpretation of the guidelines, a multi-geocache is when the posted coordinates brings you to one location, where the second set of coordinates can be obtained.

However, you could also argue that since a GPS unit is not needed to find the actual geocache, then this constitutes as a letterbox hybrid with the posted coordinates as your starting point.

I wouldn’t consider this a mystery geocache since you do not have to solve a puzzle, or riddle to obtain the correct coordinates.

However, I may be completely off base from what the topic starter was asking.

From the guidelines and why this should be a multi:

Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt.

So, to get this straight. The above cache should NOT show up in a PQ for "traditional" caches, correct?

And this one is just a booboo?

Next question.

Should I do anything about the above scenarios if I encounter them?

Edited by bittsen

So, to get this straight. The above cache should NOT show up in a PQ for "traditional" caches, correct?

Next question.

The second could have been done purposefully. Neither should be listed is a traditional. You can ask the owner to ask the reviewer to change them for him, or you can just skip the owner and let the reviewer know they are improperly categorized. Or you can just forget about it.

Next question.

The second could have been done purposefully. Neither should be listed is a traditional. You can ask the owner to ask the reviewer to change them for him, or you can just skip the owner and let the reviewer know they are improperly categorized. Or you can just forget about it.

What would YOU do?

Next question.

What would YOU do?

Depends on who the owner is and how much I know about them. Most likely I would send a polite note explaining my concerns and then forget about it. If I feel strongly about a situation I will follow up some amount of time later with a not to the reviewer.

Next question.

What would YOU do?

OK, scenario #2? I said I had found about 4 such caches, but it was a pain just to find this one example You can see on December 31, 2007, the local reviewer changed the posted coordinates to the cache coordinates after receiving a note from a cacher. It wasn't me, I just voiced my opinion in my Feb. 2006 find log. The cache description remains as it was written in 2003, with the posted coordinates having been the parking coordinates, and you had to read the cache description to get the coordinates for the cache.

If I ever encountered this again, which is highly unlikely with the more refined modern cache review process, I'd probably go ahead and contact the local reviewer.

Next question.

What would YOU do?

I've done all of the above. I guess it depends on how much the cache bothers me. If it looks like a deliberate end around the guidelines, it would bother me more and I'd go directly to the reviewer. If it looks like an honest mistake I would approach the CO.