sneaky sneaky

alecat09

I am wondering to what extent everyone goes to not be noticed looking for a cache.

I am new (sorry for what I'm sure is an old question) to geocaching. I've noticed in the logs though that many people say: "walked right to it", "grab and go" etc. The problem is that some of the caches that I've read this for are in high traffic areas that even at midnight have some degree of visibility to muggles.

I wonder what degree of "sneakiness" is called for.

thanks in advance,

An oft debated topic. You need to make a decision on each cache as to how you will proceed. With experience some of the caches that you think are hard you will walk right up to. some bystanders you will feel safe explaining to what you are doing and some will make you just turn around and not risk finding the cache.

The bigger issue is not looking suspicious. The last thing you want is to have some bystander think you are up to no good. Leads to run ins with the law and caches being visited by the bomb squad.

Depends on the circumstances. Often, being sneaky (looking) attracts attention. When sneakiness or stealth is referred to it is generally in reference to a "slight of hand movement" to pick up the cache (micro or the like) and continue on to do what you need to do elsewhere.

On the other hand, many prefer carrying a clipboard, and the GPSr in full view, and perhaps wearing something that makes one appear to be conducting "official" business. Being bold and straightforward. That, in itself can be considered "sneaky". :ph34r:

Yup - I perfer bold. Act as though it is your job to find and retrieve that cache. A job you are proud to do. Boldy just go for the cache - act as though you have done this a thousand times and are not doing anything wrong (mostly because you aren't). Carry a clipboard and look offcial. Just do it.

We pass on hunts when there is simply too much muggle presence to hunt properly. But there are times and locations that are fine to hunt despite having hoards of muggles around. You just have to learn to judge the situation and act appropriately. When you do decide to hunt you need to do it confidently and act as if you belong there and you are not doing anything wrong or unusual. That is when people ignore you. They notice you when you are glancing around, looking over your shoulder and appearing out of place.

I've done some caches where more people was actually better.

The more people there are, the less you will be noticed as long as you are discrete.

I've course I wouldn't want to pull-out an ammo can in the middle of a crowd, but small caches work.

:huh:

I've done the same. The container was a large lock-n-lock and there were hundreds of people around at a scenic view pullout. I just walked up and grabbed it, carried it back to my car to sign the log, then walked back and replaced the container. The cache has been around since 2004 and even though it's at a very busy spot it's never been muggled.

some muggles are actually becoming really interested when you start telling them what you doing

one cache we visited last weekend the muggle actually pointed out the hiding spot, that was quite hillarious, although at first i was suspicious of his questions :huh:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...86-fb4d257a89eb

there is one cache that has just been published in my area, its in a huge , not tall but wide, cedar bush and right in front of a community centre, and in the spot the people come out for a smoke

now this is a difficult hide, and we've already been there twice without luck

just have to pick the right time and go back if you feel you're attracting too much attention

last time we were there, picking at every branch of this bush, and at times "diving" head first in this thing i actually looked at my husband and said "i'm sure we just look like a couple of bums searching for empties" LMAO

I've placed an order for my invisibility cloak but it hasn't arrived yet:

had-invisiblility-cloak-2.jpg

So, meanwhile, I also use the bold approach. I have a right to be there, I'm not doing anything wrong, and if you're curious about what I'm doing, you can feel free to ask me. People that are doing things that they know they are not supposed to do are going to try to act sneaky. I think you are generally putting the cache in more risk by trying to be sneaky, which will raise suspcions.

I am wondering to what extent everyone goes to not be noticed looking for a cache.

I am new (sorry for what I'm sure is an old question) to geocaching. I've noticed in the logs though that many people say: "walked right to it", "grab and go" etc. The problem is that some of the caches that I've read this for are in high traffic areas that even at midnight have some degree of visibility to muggles.

I wonder what degree of "sneakiness" is called for.

thanks in advance,

It all depends upon how many muggles are around the area when you initiate your search.

Yup - I perfer bold. Act as though it is your job to find and retrieve that cache. A job you are proud to do. Boldy just go for the cache - act as though you have done this a thousand times and are not doing anything wrong (mostly because you aren't). Carry a clipboard and look offcial. Just do it.

That may be practical advise, however, it is not always easy advise! It’s very challenging to "boldly" walk straight up to a lamppost in the middle of a busy parking lot, yank that skirt high into the air, and grab that suspicious looking plastic container. :huh:

Perhaps I am not crafty enough, but is difficult for me to "look like I belong there" when I am messing with a lamppost in a busy parking lot to retrieve a geocache that probably wasn’t placed there with permission in the first place. :)

The more people there are, the less you will be noticed as long as you are discrete.

I've course I wouldn't want to pull-out an ammo can in the middle of a crowd, but small caches work.

if you are caching with other people i certainly hope you are discrete. if you are not discrete, i shudder to think what might have caused this problem, and why you would be caching at such a time.

That may be practical advise, however, it is not always easy advise! It’s very challenging to "boldly" walk straight up to a lamppost in the middle of a busy parking lot, yank that skirt high into the air, and grab that suspicious looking plastic container. :)

Perhaps I am not crafty enough, but is difficult for me to "look like I belong there" when I am messing with a lamppost in a busy parking lot to retrieve a geocache that probably wasn’t placed there with permission in the first place. :anicute:

Too, ya know there is always the option of backing off a cache because you aren't comfortable with it (for any reason). This sounds like a good option here. [waiting for "outlaw-the-LPC" posts, now] :huh:

If the theme song to the Pink Panther is playing on your cerebral jukebox while you are searching in a high traffic area, you cannot be stealthy. Put that one on pause.

Like most have already posted, you are not doing anything wrong, so don't act like it. And if you search with your eyes only at first, you won't appear as odd as you think you are. Mauling the landscaping is likely to attract more attention than merely inspecting it visually.

if you are caching with other people i certainly hope you are discrete. if you are not discrete, i shudder to think what might have caused this problem, and why you would be caching at such a time.

Ewww. :huh:

Best way to be sneaky and stealthy i have found is carry a trash bag and CITO no gives it a second thought and they think you picked up some junk to throw away when you find the cache..

Right on! That is one I have definatly used. One of my caches even suggests that as a good aproach to keep the neighborus that back onto the park from getting too curious.

The ONLY places I will walk away fom the hunt are those places for small children when the little ones are there and their caretakers would be concerned . . . play grounds, schoolyards, nursery schools - there is NO way to look like I belong there at my age (64) in my caching cloths.

Otherwise, I go about my business like I belong there and show concern for the integrity of the hide when returning it so as to protect it from a muggle.

We live in a society where adults will ignore us being fully involved in their own business . . . it is the eyes of the curious little ones you must watch, they see every move you make!

In the begining of my geocaching career, I was always trying to be super stealthy like James Bond to prevent being detected. However, nowadays I don't bother with stealth too much. I've only ever had two of 2,414 caches (that I know of) disappear because some muggle saw me and took the cache (one guy was a cop).

The more I cache the more I think that if you put a cache in a high traffic area you should be ready for it to dissappear and if you don't want your caches disappearing then I'd reccomend not puting it there.

Plus, I typically cache in the middle of the night so I don't usually end up looking for a cache when muggles are all over the place.

Patience in those parking lot caches - I have sat on a lamp pedestal for 15 minutes waiting for traffic to clear. For those guard rail caches, I grab a bag and pick up trash. Some of the caches I just try to look like I belong. But the biggest thing that help us is... we walk our dogs - the perfect cover :lol:

Pretending to tie shoes.

Pretend to drop something.

Have a clip board, and a measuring tape on your hip (look like a contractor or surveyor).

Once logged and cache replaced, don't leave just yet, keep looking around. Pretend like there is something else, and what you found wasn't it.

Some caches will require higher levels of fooling folks. Often times just knowing how to blend is best. No fancy cloths, lots of gear, etc. KISS.

In the begining of my geocaching career, I was always trying to be super stealthy like James Bond to prevent being detected. However, nowadays I don't bother with stealth too much. I've only ever had two of 2,414 caches (that I know of) disappear because some muggle saw me and took the cache (one guy was a cop).

How would you know? You're gone.

The more I cache the more I think that if you put a cache in a high traffic area you should be ready for it to dissappear and if you don't want your caches disappearing then I'd reccomend not puting it there.

Perhaps you should simply not try to find these caches if you are not willing to try to protect the game piece.

One technique I've used when I've been busted replacing a cache to its hiding spot is actually to just smile, say hi and then run off down the track - it was on a scenic walkway and where the hiding spot was I had no forewarning that anyone was coming - I just got up and ran hoping they'd just assume I was playing some game or in some kind of a race.

When i get out of the geomobile i always have a "legend" a cover story that answers with one sentence the question "what are you doing". The simple fact that i have that answer in my gourd allows me to step boldly, and to date i have not needed to use it. Only got busted once, by a muggle that turned out to be a chacher on vacation that knew the cache was in the area.

:P

Gotta be bold and confident. Size up the situation while you are walking towards GZ.

I found a cache outside a chow hall on a base in Iraq during dinner chow. Oh look, the GPSr is directing me towards the only tree in the parking area, I wonder where it would be.. Just happened to walk towards it when there were few people nearby. And they were all too busy gossiping with their friends than to be aware of their surroundings.

I have one that I just put out a few months ago. It is a stump, about 2-21/2 feet tall and top is 3-4 inches wide while the bottom is 6 or so inches wide. I put it in a slight pit that the person is using for dirt for their garden, and it comes apart top and bottom halves. It has a container inside it so there is a double chance of it not getting wet. The inside container is a cylindrical apple juice concentrate container with the tear-able ring still on. It makes it a little harder to get on and off, but I would seriously like to put it in water for a few days, or in a wet environment for a few weeks just to see IF it holds up as well as I think it will.

Anyways, it is about an inch or so into the dirt, right behind the owners house. Now here is the funny part. About 10 feet away, there is a large amount of old stuff lying around, both by the fence and in the overhang where the cars ought to be. Cachers will look in the junk piles there for about 15 minutes, and then ask where the heck it is. There is nothing for several feet around it, except the house. I have about 6-8 people who have found it, and at least 2 or 3 cachers have gotten a DNF while searching for it, and it is only a 2 star difficulty. It is very funny.

On another one, I have a cover plate painted gray on a bunch of switch box-like things by a building. They go several feet high. It lies on top of one, about 6 1/2 feet up off the ground, back from the edge. I recently had to change the difficulty rating from 2 to 2 1/2. So you need to be tall, and you need to search a lot. It is one of my favorites. I have gotten several frustrating e-mails asking where the heck it is.

Those are some of mine. Thanks. :)

for greenfeather's 6 1/2' cache- i would appreciate a spoiler attribute listed on the website for the vertically challenged like myself at 5' !!! LOL

as for the stealth/sneaky approaches...i use a walker with a seat, and a portable oxygen machine...i always have my camera with me, and as muggles appear, i am of course taking the great photo op... works so far like a charm...

Edited by suchanana