BBC dropzone campaign and geocaching

JustinR69

Hi

First post on here and this sort of thing may have been covered elsewhere but I've not found it, I could do with some advice.

My local council is partnering with the BBC learning dropzone campaign to introduce people to new activities, I've been asked if it's possible to do something around geocaching.

The idea is to do workshops around activities people are interested in to show them how to do it so they can then continue on their own if they enjoy it.

My thoughts are that if something like this was done then caches would have to be placed for it as I don't think it would be right to help groups of people find someone elses cache possibly leaving it at a higher risk of being muggled, the caches would be have to be normal caches and not just set up for this event.

To do something like this I would expect quid pro quo from the council to give permission to place caches within their parks for all geocachers.

What I'm trying to find out is what the community thinks of these sort of events?

If these sort of things are outside of the guidelines on caches for geocaching.com?

If I do agree to do it what I should consider before doing it?

any help appreciated

thanks

Why can they not be caches set up specifically for the event?

If I was doing this I would do a workshop at a country park where I had set up 10 - 12 caches trying to cover all the types (micros, offsets, puzzles etc), and print off the details in the Groundspeak format without listing the caches. You can then run the workshop and let people loose to find the caches. After the workshop you can then collect the caches and there is then no danger of listed caches being muggled.

Of course you could then ask the country park for permission to hide some REAL caches for your troubles.

Perhaps a reviewer could pass an opinion as to wether the workshop could be listed as an event, so that you would have some geocachers on hand to help you run the workshop.

Good luck with this, whatever form it takes.

I allow one of my multi caches to be used for a workshop. The cache is located in a university, that I happen to work at. Some students do caching as part of their project and take secondary school children out to introduce them. So far it hasn't done my cache any harm.

I say set up your own caches, but also list them on the site, this way if they go missing no one other than you are being put out, and you can also tell the people you are introducing to that they can log online. That would give them the full concept of what caching is about.

Why can they not be caches set up specifically for the event?

If I was doing this I would do a workshop at a country park where I had set up 10 - 12 caches trying to cover all the types (micros, offsets, puzzles etc), and print off the details in the Groundspeak format without listing the caches. You can then run the workshop and let people loose to find the caches. After the workshop you can then collect the caches and there is then no danger of listed caches being muggled.

Of course you could then ask the country park for permission to hide some REAL caches for your troubles.

Perhaps a reviewer could pass an opinion as to wether the workshop could be listed as an event, so that you would have some geocachers on hand to help you run the workshop.

Good luck with this, whatever form it takes.

My interpretation of the event rules meant that this event didn't qualify as a geocaching event, because the organisers and primary attendees are not geocachers, a reviewer opinion would be welcome though :ph34r:

Different types is certainly something to consider, thanks

I allow one of my multi caches to be used for a workshop. The cache is located in a university, that I happen to work at. Some students do caching as part of their project and take secondary school children out to introduce them. So far it hasn't done my cache any harm.

I say set up your own caches, but also list them on the site, this way if they go missing no one other than you are being put out, and you can also tell the people you are introducing to that they can log online. That would give them the full concept of what caching is about.

That's the thoughts running through my head, caches available for anyone to find but mine so if they go missing because of this it's only my problem and online logging so they understand that part of it and be aware of how to get details of caches to find.

Out of interest what size groups do you take?

Hi

First post on here and this sort of thing may have been covered elsewhere but I've not found it, I could do with some advice.

My local council is partnering with the BBC learning dropzone campaign to introduce people to new activities, I've been asked if it's possible to do something around geocaching.

The idea is to do workshops around activities people are interested in to show them how to do it so they can then continue on their own if they enjoy it.

My thoughts are that if something like this was done then caches would have to be placed for it as I don't think it would be right to help groups of people find someone elses cache possibly leaving it at a higher risk of being muggled, the caches would be have to be normal caches and not just set up for this event.

To do something like this I would expect quid pro quo from the council to give permission to place caches within their parks for all geocachers.

What I'm trying to find out is what the community thinks of these sort of events?

If these sort of things are outside of the guidelines on caches for geocaching.com?

any help appreciated

thanks

Seems like a great idea to me - a bit of good publicity, showing people how to find them (and it can't hurt for the council to see how geocachers respect their environment, don't leave litter, don't damage plants etc, and that caches are never buried). It also gives a contact point in the council for permission to place more caches, as others have said.

I'd be inclined to list them on the site, but with a request for go-live to be on the day of your event. That way your caching group will probably meet other cachers, even if only FTF hounds :ph34r:

...The idea is to do workshops around activities people are interested in to show them how to do it so they can then continue on their own if they enjoy it.

any help appreciated

thanks

If the caches are to be listed on geocaching.com as 'real' caches, available to all, then they'll need to follow the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines for this site.

One of the guidelines is that physical caches must not be closer than 528ft to any other physical cache. I was thinking that if the "workshops" are held at one park location they would have to be spread out over quite a large area and the locations may well conflict with any other caches that may already be in place. To make it easier to give instruction about geocache hunting in a more restricted area perhaps you could set some 'try-it-out' caches fairly close together (but not officially listed) but then also set one new 'real' listed cache for the folks to find and log at the end of the day.

MrsB

As *mouse* has pointed out. Provided the event is Organised b a Geocacher(s) and other Geocachers are welcome to attend/help out, and provided the event is about Geocaching and not just a tiny side event to a bigger non geocaching event. Then yes it would be published.

One idea is to set up a small geocaching course, near to the main location. Have volunteers take those interested around using their GPSr to each of the locations collecting a letter or number in each container. Every completed collection sheet goes into a draw for a prize.

You can use a variety of containers at different sizes. And wouldn't have to worry about proximity. So would be able to keep them to a reasonable area.

Have print outs of local caches with the owners permission available.

Have a cache/gaggle/flock/group (what is the collective for a group of cachers?) at the main location to meet and greet, and explain about Geocaching. And act as Shepherds around your Introduction Course. Oh and a big tub of lollipops so that you can give one to each child who completes the course (with their parents of course :huh: )

One tip: don't let yourself get caught spending 15 minutes explaining Geocaching to a cacher you've never meet before :anicute: ( yes that really did happen to me in 2004 :) )

Deci

Deci

Sorry Royles. I think I misunderstood what you were getting at there, Yours and the other posts suggesting the setting up a small course is a good idea I hadn't considered, thanks.

The geocaching side of it will be only a small part of the event so I don't think it would fullfil the event criteria but I will try to get along to one of the monthly meets to see if any local cachers might be interested.

thanks for all the ideas and advice so far :huh:

Sorry Royles. I think I misunderstood what you were getting at there, Yours and the other posts suggesting the setting up a small course is a good idea I hadn't considered, thanks.

The geocaching side of it will be only a small part of the event so I don't think it would fullfil the event criteria but I will try to get along to one of the monthly meets to see if any local cachers might be interested.

thanks for all the ideas and advice so far B)

No worries, I am not the clearest of writers.

If you wanted to list the caching part as an event to attract more help I am sure Deci could give you guidance on how to meet the criteria.

Hope it all comes together for you.